Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Lots of good information.

But as an English teacher, I am compelled to point out that you used "your" in almost every instance that you were supposed to use "you're".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I am in no the no man's land south of Taipei but off of the rail lines. I'm really not that far out of the city, but it can be a pain in the rear end to commute back and forth. However, if you ever find the need to sit in a depressing rural bar where Taiwanese faux-gangsters get in dick measuring contests over who gets to chat with you, let me know!

It's definitely one of those terrible suburbs mentioned in the OP, but it's actually not all that bad. It's growing fast and has plenty of western amenities; you just have to try a little harder to find them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

mad carl posted:

Oh man, can we please do this some time?

Like everything in life, it will probably be far more disappointing than the way I described it. However, if you want to get loving trashed on whiskey or beer with the possibility of a guy spending half an hour demanding that you dance like Michael Jackson, then it's not a terrible bar.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

I bet you got asked because you're white.

The dude was apparently just a huge loving Michael Jackson fan and (I think) wanted to have a dance off. He kept imitating some of MJ's signature moves and then demanded that I do likewise in response.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Cargnegies or Wax would be the most awful things ever for everyone around us.

I'm down.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ravendas posted:

Never going back.

Oh, I'm totally aware of all of that. These are terrible, awful bars. I think the reason they were even suggested is because of how bottom rung they are for places to go out to. I think we were picking places ironically.

If we really want to get plastered, then there are definitely more appropriate places for it. But I think the goal was to get as drunk as possible around people who would prefer that we weren't anywhere near them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

Well that's easy; just buy some Tunnel 88 and drink in a church.

Sounds basically like a homeless shelter in Wisconsin. Or the more that I think about it, really just any church in Wisconsin.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Are the bowling pins hookers?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
We could always do another goon meet at someone's place. I have a couple of fake guitars and a fake piano. Does someone have some fake drums and a mic?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ravendas posted:

I do in fact. PS3 ones, from Rockband2.

Sorry, mine are all XBox.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Privates are not allowed. Having worked in Korea and Taiwan, it's not even comparable. Basically everything you hear is how the flow of teachers goes strictly from Korea to Taiwan but never the other way.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

Privates are not allowed? I've got a couple.

I guess I could be wrong about this, but I was fairly certain that private lessons were a violation of the work visa/ARC. If you have an APRC, you're a legal permanent resident with all of the benefits associated with being a legal permanent resident (ie: your status in the country is no longer dependent on employment and fulfilling certain criteria).

Every few years, a dumbass foreigner gets deported for teaching private lessons on an ARC because he made someone more important than him angry.

Basically everyone does it and it's nearly impossible to get caught, but if you flaunt it, it might come back to haunt you.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Right, I think it depends entirely on what you're doing and who you work for. Like, if you're doing privates for the same age group that your school tries to teach, then you could piss off your boss and they'll report you.

Whenever I've done any kind of private tutoring, I've always made sure to do adults or students who weren't in my school's demographic.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Only in this thread could a post like that be taken completely at face value.

So, exactly what is a "show girl"? Are we talking girls that hold up products at Samsung events, or... the other kind?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Some of them can speak English? I didn't realize talking was in their job description at all. I thought they were just there to draw customers over but they had trained sales reps on hand to actually talk about the products.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I suppose that is a fair assessment of the culture.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

Maybe this will blow your mind, but the showgirls that make the big bucks are the ones that can talk about the products.

This doesn't blow my mind, just explains a part of the job I wasn't aware of. It makes a great deal of sense that the girls would be able to discuss the products. I just didn't realize they actually planned for that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Taiwan is great because it is lucky. Now I won't mention Taiwan again for the rest of the article.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Except it's a lovely hook because it has nothing to do with Taiwan being lucky. His whole intro is about how fantastically lucky Taiwan is to be so well off without resources. But it had nothing to do with lucky. It was just smart planning.

Besides, it's not like he brings any kind of commentary to the information. He's more or less reporting on someone else's study and acting all smug about it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You'll be fine. You'll probably end up having to knock on some doors or networking to find a job, but it's entirely possible.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

quadrophrenic posted:

I've been wondering about how exactly to go about that route. Do you recommend just buying a hotel room for a couple of weeks? How hard is it to find an English-speaking hotel? And should you get your ARC set up before you start applying to jobs?

You can't even begin the ARC process until you have a work visa. You won't get a work visa until you have a job willing to sponsor one. What you do (assuming you're American) is applying for a 60 day visitor visa prior to your arrival. In order to get one, you have to purchase a round trip ticket with a 60 day time window. So, book the trip, apply for the visa, and come to Taiwan in that order.

You'll then have 60 days to do whatever the gently caress you want in the country. Travel, party, apply for jobs, whatever. After you get a job, your new employer will begin the paperwork to convert your visitor visa into a work visa. Once you have the work visa, you can apply for the ARC. Technically, it is illegal to work during this process, but no one seems to care much.

If you just land in Taiwan with no visa, you're granted a 30 day landing visa. This cannot be converted (last I checked anyway) into a work visa. You'll have to leave the country and apply for a visa from somewhere else first.

quote:

Also, I don't expect an answer to this question, but if I applied to Hess for an August hire date, would they interview me now or closer to August? The last thing I heard from them was "We'll be in contact very soon" like a week and a half ago and the anticipation is killing me.

Hess took awhile to get back to me, but eventually did offer me a position. However, because they took so drat long to tell me I was in, I had gone off and accepted work somewhere else.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Anyone looking for lovely hours in a lovely location?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm not really sure about the pay. My guess is 500NT if you are an actual native speaker and less if they can get away with it. It's 5-6:30 MWF and 5-8 TR. I'm not 100% on that though.

They will not sponsor an ARC. This is strictly a part time evening position. There will likely be morning and afternoon hours available in the summer, but you'll still probably work the same number of hours.

However, the work environment is great. Everyone here is awesome. There's very, very little bullshit associated with the position. We have a homegrown curriculum that's phenomenal. You don't have to grade homework or come in early or stay late. The only unpaid time is breaks between periods and they even give you dinner on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The biggest pain in the rear end is coming up with a graduation and Christmas show and Halloween game.

But on the plus side I can introduce you to the wonders of the bar (that's singular) scene.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 10, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, it really would be for someone who just wants a bit of fun money. It's not a particularly stressful position, but it only makes sense to take it if you are somewhere close by.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

quadrophrenic posted:

Oh man I have an interview with Hess on Friday. I'm expecting questions about teaching experience (have none), classroom control (dunno), preferred hours (any time, work me to the bone) and poo poo, am I missing anything important?

So nervous. I had one of these before with KOJEN and it didn't go too well.

It's entirely possible to bullshit your way through the teaching experience question. Remember, anything can be teaching experience. Group project in university where you were the senior member? Bam! Teaching experience. Did some babysitting and helped kids with their homework? Bam! Teaching experience. Younger siblings? You were literally teaching every day!

Make sure to frame it appropriately. "Well, I don't have any teaching experience in an actual classroom, but I got to experience similar dynamics in the following situations." Don't just say, "None."

As for classroom management, say, "Well, I bet keeping things fun and interesting would work. If the kids don't have time to misbehave, they won't, so I'll need to make sure that the lesson has a fast pace and very little downtime."

I mean, these aren't exactly tough answers to come up with.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It obviously isn't, but precisely what they're looking for isn't that hard to figure out. Enough people have posted here about not getting into Hess that it's clear they're filtering for something and based on responses like, "I told them I had no idea how to manage a classroom or what teaching was like," I'm guessing those are actually more important than people give them credit for.

They must get a ton of flaky people applying for these jobs. They're probably good at noticing poo poo by now.

Even if you don't have experience with kids, make sure you sound really eager to get into a classroom because you want to be in a high energy position.

So, the question you should think about then is, "If you have no real teaching experience or experience working with kids, why do you want to dedicate the majority of your week to being around them?"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I liked when they asked me what I'd do if I needed to buy toilet paper and couldn't find any. There's basically no safer answers than, "I'm willing to be a clown for free on the weekends."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you're an assclown?

Those were unrelated thoughts, but in retrospect I should have specified.

I remember being asked like a hundred times if I had issues with weekends or unpaid hours. Hess likes both of those things.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I know of another spot open in Sanxia, this one less terrible than the last. M-F 3:30-8:30. It's 62000NT a month. It's a chain school, but a franchised one where a very good friend of mine basically runs the show. You should be afforded a decent amount of freedom. Email me if you're interested, same as my user name at gmail.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It also depends on what the cause of the original holiday is. A few months ago, we had a four day weekend because Tuesday was a national holiday. Because Tuesday was a national holiday and Monday was off just to round out the weekend, we had to work only the following Saturday to make up Monday. The Tuesday was a freebie, but Monday had to be recovered.

Theoretically, if Monday had been the national holiday, we wouldn't have had any makeup days.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My friend is salaried and doesn't get a reduced salary for time off.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

That's almost the same, I'd be willing to wager that he doesn't get reduced workload for time off either.

I'm really having a hard time figuring out what this means.

He has a monthly salary. If he wants time off, he takes it. His salary for the month remains the same regardless of hours worked. He doesn't get extra classes to make up for the hours lost. He just continues on as if the vacation didn't happen.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, at the very same school that has a full time job opening. You too could get paid leave maybe!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The curse of living half a world away from Taipei.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Good news guys, 7-11 now has "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale" in a deluxe edition for 99NT. Get it while you can!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
gently caress it. I'm buying all of my clothes at 7-11 from now. Truly the only place I ever need to shop.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Now, I know what this image is supposed to symbolize, but at the same time, there's only one thing I can see when I see an image like this.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Taiwanese people don't seem to drink with the frequency of other Asian countries or Americans, but good god when they drink it's like a marathon to puke town. The local bar's urinal is stained with goon vomit (you know who you are) and no one minds. They only drink beer by downing small cups of it rather than casually sipping it and everyone is on your rear end to drink as many cupfuls in a row as you can. There's a peer pressure mentality that I rarely see outside of college parties. Few things seem to make guys happier than to watch you collapse in the booth while the party rages on around you.

In short, I love these people and I love this country.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
But if both people try to be humble won't they end up spilling their beers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

dundun posted:

Yes I just graduated with a 4 year degree last year. So the overall opinion of Tefl is that its nice to have but not really necessary?

The position is still open, you just need a 4 year degree, don't bother with a TEFl. Shoot me an email, user name at gmail and I'll see if I can set you up.