Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Haha, I like the thread title! That's a great start on the OP! Maybe some info in the OP about scooters and such. Seems to come up quite often.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

Tech degree for technical writing? Sure it makes sense in that sentence I just typed, but surely the department in a university that teaches technical writing would be a little better, no? If it's a requirement then I can't do my usual selling of a philosophy degree as actually being very applicable to this kind of writing.

What are the positions usually named for the patent shops?

Engineers do a hell of a lot of report writing, test case reports, and even patent application forms. They know how to write pretty decently.

Your main problem in this type of job will probably lie in translating the Chinese/Broken English terms and phrases for technical ideas into real English. But really, it's worth a shot. A buddy of mine is doing the same kind of thing for detailed financial reports over here in the mainland, despite his history degree.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
I'm salaried (mainland style) for an American company but as a local hire and I get a whole 5 days paid holidays per year. Granted it's more than most, but in all reality it's pitiful at best.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Nah, the glass height thing is totally a thing. It isn't even Taiwan specific - they do it in HK too. Dunno about the mainland though. It's not really something I think many people are conscious of, but it's definitely a thing. If you're just out drinking with the boys/girls/whatever, though, no-one really gives a poo poo. It mostly comes into play in situations where face is an issue.

And on the "competing for the lower position" thing, in my experience it's been the person who first raises their glass in any particular instance that gets the top position where there's no clear/relevant hierarchy in place.
This is totally a thing in the mainland too. The lower the better, shows the other guy more "face".

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

Just bought my ticked to TPE and, in an effort to save a few hundred dollars, it looks like I'll be layovering overnight at PEK in Beijing. Anyone have any tips?

I believe you need to grab a visa to leave the airport, and that sounds like a hassle and a half, so I'm just wondering about where to sleep, ha.

There are some nice reclining chairs to sleep on near the McDonald's in Terminal 3. McD's is open 24 hours whereas everything else closes at like 11pm. Also free wireless internet and outlets around there so you can surf or watch movies or whatever.

I'm unsure about the getting a visa to leave the airport, but you probably could. Just depends on how long your layover is because PEK is quite a ways out of the city, may not even be worth leaving the airport can't.

edit: Magna Kaser makes a good point. You're probably hosed, have fun in the airport!

SB35 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 4, 2012

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

thegoat posted:

14k for coke and hookers is one weekend if you have a lot of fun. Two if you are reserved.

You guys must feel like total ballers when you tell your buddies, "shiiiit, I dropped like $5,000 *cough*NTD*cough* at the bar last night, it was EPIC!!1"

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

My favorite beers are lambics. My favorite whiskeys are Islays. My favorite wines are big footy petite syrahs. I like gamey meat, blue cheese, and anything fermented. I'm going to be all about that maotai poo poo.

Oh, maotai 白酒, enjoy a taste of the mainland. And keep in mind, 90% of the maotai you buy is fake. Unless it cost the equivalent of 500 rmb and you buy it in a high end shop

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

So this is possibly a dumb question, but I've tried three different networks here and no luck: is American Google banned in Taiwan or something? Three different networks, I've tried /ncr, I've tried /webhp, I've tried http and https, I can't seem to get https://www.google.com to come up anywhere. It either redirects to .com.tw or just 404s.

It's not really a big deal, I have https://www.google.co.uk set as my homepage right now (loads just fine) but I use google for like 90% of my internettery, and not being able to access the search results that .com used to give me just feels weird.

try http://www.google.com/ncr

ncr stands for no country redirect

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

which is just a...what do you call the opposite of romanization?...version of my name in Chinese.

Transliteration is the word you're looking for I believe.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Is Subway in Taiwan cheap? I mean compared to the local place around the corner. In the mainland eating at subway was always way more expensive. I could get a big bowl of noodles for a 1/6 of the price, or like 15 Chinese pork sandwiches for the price of a footlong sub. A footlong ran about 42 RMB for the cheapest (with meat, not a veggie sub).

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

url posted:

Do speeding tickets count as criminal?

If so, I am hosed.

Those typically count as "minor traffic offenses", not criminal.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I've never found Chinese input to be a problem of any sort on my One X. :shrug:

Agreed. Google Pinyin keyboard and Swype keyboard work great for me. In fact, Swype does Chinese too for a quick word or two. If I'm going to write out a long message I switch to the Google Pinyin keyboard.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait, leaving in a week for three weeks work in Taiwan? Doesn't that overlap with Chinese New Year?

It definitely does.

CNY is February 10th, but most people should have Feb. 9-15th off from work, give or take a few days on either end. In fact, many factories are shut down for 2-3 weeks over CNY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

What's the best program for someone who just wants to get some basic, survival level Chinese under their belt? I'd like to be able to go to a restaurant or the gas station and not have to point like some tourist.

At least this will help you to identify and learn the names of several dishes you'd typically order in a restaurant.

Honestly, my reading kinda sucks so if I went to a restaurant alone or with a few other laowai we'd typically just order things from memory rather than actually read the menu.