Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirormadman
Jan 13, 2008

I have seen...things
There's loads of great info in the OP. Nice work.

But, of course, everyone's going to find flaws in it. Here's what I can say.

The city bus systems in Taiwan are generally really good. Cabs are great in a pinch, but if you're commuting and there's no MRT stop, then consider busing it. Yes, even foreigners can figure it out. drat, Google maps does all the work for you. Just click the public transit button. (When I was your age, I had to learn to read just so I could ride the bus :argh:)

Taiwanese food is good if you aim higher than 70 NT lunch boxes. Din Tai Fung comes to mind. Asian food in general is really well done and is cheaper than Western food.

It is possible to line up a technical job when over there, but you need technical qualifications. The jobs usually involve English, and are mostly for tech writers.

And for gods sake get out of Taipei once in a while, if only for a vacation. The East coast is beautiful. Far too many English teacher types work, drink, and do gently caress all. Taiwan is a really, really fun place to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirormadman
Jan 13, 2008

I have seen...things

HappyHelmet posted:

There's more to cooking than fried/stir-fried whatever with a healthy dose of soy sauce & 5 spice powder dumped on it.

Yes, yes, there is. And that's exactly the beef (tee hee) I have with the OP.

Steamed dumplings
100NT/plate roadside seafood
Seafood in general
Beef noodle soup
Shabu shabu
Korean BBQ
Teppanyaki
Hainan noodle shops

All of which is non-lunch box food and done very well. (We could debate whether the above is truly Taiwanese food, but the same applies to most countries. Cuisine migrates and is invariably tweaked by the locals.)

Seriously. The local food part of the OP is like "America has cheeseburgers and you'll get sick of them."

Ok, that's the end of my rant. I'm touchy about this subject because, like others have mentioned, the food in Taiwan has a special spot in my memory. I look forward to it every time I go there (and I rarely, if ever, eat lunch boxes).

sirormadman
Jan 13, 2008

I have seen...things

DontAskKant posted:

What about with technical writing? I have some journalism experience as well, but if the hours are Asian hours is it really worth it?
Keep in mind this is 5 year old info. The tech writing jobs are mainly in hsinchu and neihu. Basically writing and editing product manuals. It's mostly piece work, as far as I can tell, so you get paid for production, as opposed to working silly hours. You definitly need a technical degree so they can hire you legally. Engineering, physics, hard science.

There are also several patent shops in Taipei that hire foreigners with said degrees to assist in writing US patent applications. There is one in younghe called NAIPC. They have a web site. Last I heard, pay is better than teaching. Whem I worked there it was quite decent.

I used to see ads for these positions in the taipei times.

Edit: I cannot recommend the patent job enough. The pay is good and the work interesting. Just avoid the local company politics.

sirormadman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 7, 2012

sirormadman
Jan 13, 2008

I have seen...things

DontAskKant posted:

Tech degree for technical writing? Sure it makes sense in that sentence I just typed, but surely the department in a university that teaches technical writing would be a little better, no? If it's a requirement then I can't do my usual selling of a philosophy degree as actually being very applicable to this kind of writing.

What are the positions usually named for the patent shops?
Yes, you're probably quite correct. I may have jumped the gun on that statement. I only had one interview for a tech writing job and I (or they) may have been playing up my tech degree as an asset. I entirely agree that a writing degree plus some technical knowledge would be better than the other way around. That said, I'm clueless as to what the official degree requirements are for a work permit in that area. My degree seemed to be fine when I was interviewing.

The other job title is "patent engineer." I think the tech degree may be a little more firm as a requirement for this job. But honestly, I can't say for certain. It wouldn't hurt to look. The company I mentioned before is actually https://www.naipo.com.tw (The O got changed to C or even dropped somewhere along the way.) There are a couple of others as well, but their names escape me.

sirormadman
Jan 13, 2008

I have seen...things

DontAskKant posted:

I can document plenty of experience for that as long as they don't need really famous names. What is the pay range for technical writing? I have heard crazy ranges from $20-$50+ an hour.
I've heard that it's approx the same hourly rate as teaching, but there are more hours available (i.e., it's real full time as opposed to 20/whatever teaching hours per week) . I don't recall ever seeing rates advertised.

Here's one for D-Link:
http://www.taiwanted.com/viewlisting.php?view=45

And, IBM:
https://jobs3.netmedia1.com/cp/job_summary.jsp?job_id=STG-0468177

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirormadman
Jan 13, 2008

I have seen...things

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Also, how are foreign women treated in Taiwan? And by that I mean, is it the sort of situation where there are there women-only cars on trains.

No women-only train cars. The subway has a late night waiting zone for women (i.e., there's a camera pointing specifically at the zone. The subway station washrooms are apparently swept for hidden cameras from time to time. There are cameras on the subway cars and signs telling people to report groping.

Most local guys will probably be somewhat intimidated by you. The whole lol you'll be lonely thing is a myth, but you might have to be a bit more outgoing than usual.