Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LimburgLimbo posted:

So is it that it used to be 打狗 then the Japanese changed it to Takao written as 高雄 which sounds similar, and it stuck?

Yeah. The Japanese thought 打狗 was an undignified name for a city. The name originally meant something like “bamboo forest” in the local aboriginal language and the Chinese settlers thought it sounded like 打狗.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Purple Prince posted:

Signed up for HESS. I will likely be in Taichung area FYI. Trying not to spend too much time hanging with foreigners as I want to learn Mandarin as quickly as possible, but up for goonmeets in the area.

Sure, have fun! I hear Taichung’s nice enough. Don’t know if any of the rest of us are there right now but let us know if you pass through Taipei or want to come up and hang out.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rockopolis posted:

So far, I'm lining up hiking, hot springs, I've had the National Palace museum, the aboriginal museum, and Anping Old Fort recommended.

Are you staying in Taipei or going all over? The first things you list here are or can be in the capital but Anping is in Tainan.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think he’s reacting to it being the “only” beer you like—it’s not bad but it’s not hugely different from other beers.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Should be a thing. You’re looking in pharmacies that sell medicine, right, not the ones that sell shampoo and makeup?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rockopolis posted:

No Costco membership.
Searched Watson's and Commed mostly. Nothing really shows up on Google maps. Looks like there's a Decathalon sporting goods store on Guilin rd if I cant find anything nearby. Thanks for the tip.

You’re looking in the wrong pharmacies. Look for a store with the Taiwan NHS logo on it:

That will sell medicine and medical stuff like braces.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rockopolis posted:

Got one. Thank you for the help.

No worries. It’s confusing for visitors.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sure, do you have one of us on Line?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Most of us are in Taipei, which has a climate similar to Miami’s but with more rain. It’s hotter in the other cities. The central mountains might be different, but I don’t know how many English teaching jobs there are in Nantou.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s possible that things will improve to that level, but not a sure thing. I think what they’ve said they’d be looking for before changing things that much is 28 days with no new domestic cases (i.e. enough time for two 14-day incubation periods to have elapsed so nothing is sneaking by them) and even then you’d still need to do your 14-day quarantine upon entering the country.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BabyFur Denny posted:

I'll be one of them in April/May.
Currently the plan is to go to Hualien first, for Taroko gorge, hike to Hehuanshan
then Sun Moon Lake (which will require us to go back up through Taipei and down the other side of the island via train, I think?)
Then Chiayi for Alishan Forest and a hike to Yushan Peak before going back to Taipei for a week or so. What else is recommended around Chiayi?

How do locals react to non-local dialects? Do they assume you're from Mainland China?

Just to be sure, maybe check and see if the road through Taroko up to Hehuanshan is open again—it goes in and out because of rockslides and such.

If you’re ethnically Chinese and speak like a mainlander people might think you are one, yeah, though they might also sniff out if you’re an ABC or similar based on how you dress and act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The election recently wasn’t explicitly pro-independence, but the winning party, the DPP, is generally more anti-China than the others. Maybe more significantly this is a third term in the presidency for them, the first time that’s happened in the pretty short history of Taiwanese elections. It remains to be seen what the result will mean in terms of cross-strait relations.