Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

YF19pilot posted:

From what I gathered in my interview, as long as you keep it cleaned and trimmed, HESS is fine with it. Being clean shaven is more of a societal thing, and the locals may frown upon it. There's a few things that really come across as "it may vary with your branch" so keep that in mind.

Really? Is it taboo to have a beard in Taiwan, even for foreigners? That does make me think about it, if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just finished the HESS interview. Now it's apparently 10-14 days until I find out if I'm hired or not. :f5:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 12, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Moon Slayer posted:

Did you remember to wear pants during the interview? Then you're probably golden.

Some who don't have this skill still manage to get through the interview process.

Pants were indeed worn. The interview went really smoothly.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How would you handle shipping a desktop PC and accessories from the US to Taiwan? I definitely want to have my desktop PC with me, but I've never had to ship something like this before.

I'm guessing some of you have gone through this before, right? Also would you just use converter plugs for US-Taiwanese electric prongs?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Alternative answer: you're coming to goddamn Taiwan. Just build a computer here.

Is it really that much cheaper to build a gaming rig in Taiwan versus the US?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Moon Slayer posted:

I've only ever built one here in Taiwan but I put a really high-end rig together that's run every game I've thrown at it for the last two years on max settings for around NT$30,000, and that was in small-town Taiwan where availability of parts was more limited and thus more expensive.

That's about 3/4 of one month's paycheck from HESS.

:eyepop:

Well, I might just bring my laptop with me then to bide me until then.

Are internet/gaming cafes common in Taiwan like in Korea? I can definitely abide by that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Got offered the job with HESS! :dance:

Looks like I'll be flying in to Taiwan for training about two months from now. :D

The medical exam when you arrive just involves blood-work right? No urine/saliva sample?

[e]: Also, based on availability, I think I want to request for Taipei, Taichung, and Taoyuan. Is Taoyuan liveable if I really want the big city aspect of Taiwan or at least close proximity to Taipei?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 15, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Barto posted:

Depending on what state you live in, they might request a stool sample and usually a spinal tap.

With where I'm from, you can never be too careful. :tinfoil:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

That only applies if you're actually in Taiwan, if Hess is having you do a health check in the states before you even come here, your hospital's procedures may vary.

It looks like the medical exam will be in Taiwan.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Random question: how is climate change viewed in Taiwan? Have there been noticeable changes in weather patterns in Taiwan?

I know in Himachal Pradesh in northern India there was no doubt in anyone's mind about climate change, you can literally watch the foothills of the Himalayas melting over time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

YF19pilot posted:

Counting down guys. Flying out on Friday, landing in Taipei Sunday morning. Looking forward to chilling for a week before training and maybe meeting a few of you guys. TheRamblingSoul, I'll try to beat a smooth path for ya!

Awesome, glad to hear it.

Keep us updated with first impressions and all! I'd enjoy hearing about it. :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How much cheaper is it to build a computer in Taiwan versus the US? If it's that much of a difference, I might gift my current desktop rig to a friend and build a new one there versus shipping it.

Specifically, I'd love to build one with an nVidia GTX 970 single-card and a 4k monitor now that 4k monitors are drastically cheaper than even a few years ago.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

duckfarts posted:

Most components will cost the same to slightly more. Try checking autobuy.com.tw; they're pretty good about having competitive and/or the lowest prices whenever I stop by guanghua market, and their site is actually usable to boot.

Really? I was under the impression computer parts are a lot cheaper to buy in Taiwan when I asked about shipping my desktop PC a few weeks ago in this thread.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
If I have an International Driver's Permit from AAA, do I need anything else to be able to legally drive in Taiwan? What about for getting a scooter if my license covers cars only? I saw a website saying I need to also get the permit verified at a TECO (Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office) branch but I'm not sure if this is the case and I'd rather not go all the way to Chicago just to get it verified.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm leaving for Taiwan in a week! Can't wait to finally be in Taipei. :)

[e]: Question for content: can you get good jerky reliably in Taiwan? I'm serious. If you can't, that's probably going to be one of my few food cravings...

I guess Hsin Tung Yang is the main jerky provider in Taiwan. Problem solved.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 2, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Another question: how do you typically get your laundry cleaned in Taiwan?

I am not expecting the "tao fang" or other apartments to come with washing machines or dryers, so should I expect to take my clothes to a laundromat?

[e]: Barchat - Coming from the Midwest (not Chicago), I don't think I'll be disappointed when it comes to the bar scene! It's pretty anemic from where I'm from anyways, so anything is an improvement.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 2, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

YF19pilot posted:

You're coming in with Hess, First Hotel has laundry service, but there is also a laundromat nearby. Head west, go under the overpass and head south along the frontage street. You should pass the Just Sleep and another inn I think called Moon Inn. Also a German-themed pub. Once in an apartment, I suppose just check around see if the building has their own laundromat or ask the doorman.

Thanks for the advice. :)

How has your experience with Taiwan and Hess been like so far? And where did you get assigned for teaching?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
My things are packed and ready to leave early tomorrow morning for my flight to Taiwan. It's gonna be 14 hours alone just getting over to Japan.

It didn't really sink in until this week just how big of a shift this is. But, I know it's going to be for the best and will be a fresh start on a new life for me. I'll be getting in to Taoyuan just past midnight on Monday local time, looking forward to seeing you all. :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Officially in Taipei! :dance: :toot:

[E]: MOS Burgers come on rice patties instead of bread buns. That's.... Different!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 10, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are those what the posters/trucks with a guy on a cloudy sky background and a number about? Elections? I thought they were ads for a weather channel. :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I also found out today those numbers are numbering order on the ballot, assigned randomly, and happen to have symbolic meaning (eg 4 is unlucky, 8 is lucky, etc).

It's gotta suck being assigned the number four spot and then trying to defend how you're not going to bring along a plague of locusts or flooding if you get elected.

[E]: also can you really be sued for cursing at someone (in traffic, etc)? If true, then poo poo that goes a long way to explaining how everyone is so polite and orderly here.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 14, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Another question: is it possible to get a prescription for Prozac (Fluoxetine) while in Taiwan? I was on 20 mg up until the Spring and wanted to try tapering off for the first time with doctor/therapist supervision after successful therapy progress, but it seems like the anxiety/depression effects have been creeping back since October and I finally realize I might need to try it again.

That being said, I feel really wary of doing anything without seeing a English-speaking doctor/therapist first. Would it be possible to talk to a therapist through ReAnKos or another service to talk about medication? Would I need to be on the National Health Insurance to do this? I would appreciate the help.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm considering coming back to Taiwan to do TESOL work for real. How much has changed since 2014?

I have an ex-study abroad-alum friend who wants to interview me for TESOL work in mainland China, but I think I'd prefer Taiwan or Japan. I really loved being in Taiwan last time I visited, though, and I miss it a lot. Thoughts?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm considering my options for after passing HSK5 and I'm considering moving from Beijing to Taipei instead of going to the southern mainland like Chengdu or Shenzhen.

The last time I attempted to move/visit Taiwan was in 2013. How much have things changed there? Apparently there was a pretty major pro-independence election lately in Taiwan?

Also, as far simple visits go, I'm considering either early May or late July. Which is better for Taipei? I remember it can rain there quite a lot and get humid.

Finally, how hard is it to move from simplified to traditional writing? I'd like to read more of the Taiwanese manga I've collected while in the mainland.