Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hey Taiwan guys

I'm looking to teach English in Asia and was referred to this thread from the China one. Apparently China is bad, Taiwan is good. The OP looks a little out of date, but is the information regarding finding a teaching job still relevant? And does anyone have any other information or suggestions or opinions? I have a degree and a TESOL and a few months teaching experience if that matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Thanks, hadn't seen that before but it's a good read

Has anyone ITT done the thing mentioned in the OP where you just arrive in Taiwan and find a job while already there? Is that really still the best way :psyduck: it sounds insane to me but if it's legit then I might be open to it

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Appreciate the replies. When you guys say Hess is bad (or "not as good"), what is it that makes the difference? Other than having little freedom as a teacher which has been mentioned

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
guessing some of you guys are/were English teachers in Taiwan

I'm considering it for my next job but I'm aware that the time for hiring is pretty much now, and I can't really go anywhere until mid September. Having missed peak hiring time, is it still relatively easy to find a teaching job at a language centre somewhere in Taipei? I'm qualified and have experience so it's not like I'm just some white guy turning up with nothing and expecting a job

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm going to Taiwan for about a week in late September/early October, but I don't know a lot about the place. At that time of year, what kind of weather should I expect? And are there are any places that particularly are/aren't worth going to at this time of year (as opposed to other times)?

I thought about spending 3 days in Taipei and then checking out a couple of other places, but I'm not sure if that would be rushing things. Or if Taipei is interesting enough to spend a lot more time in. I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations, I really know very little at the moment

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 28, 2019

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hey goons, do I need to book a train from Taipei to Kaohsiung ahead of time or can I just show up and get one? Maybe I'll save money or get a guaranteed seat by booking in advance?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Thanks. What's the official website for booking high speed rail tickets? I've found two sites and the prices they offer seem... different. 1490 TWD vs 1190 TWD :confused:

The sites are http://www.thsrc.com.tw and 12go.asia. I guess the former is official but the latter is the one with cheaper tickets

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 16, 2019

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It might be a bit too much? I went to Taiwan last year and we fit Taipei, Jiufen (+a few other stops on a tour) and Taroko Gorge/Hualien into 7 days. That felt like the right amount of time to me, I wouldn't really have liked to fit a trip to Sunmoon Lake in too. But maybe you wouldn't mind it. Since you'll have a car, perhaps it's something you can consider when you're in Hualien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Vanilla posted:

I'd happily swap out Sunmoon Lake for something a little closer. It was just a recommended destination by a friend who loved it.

Would you agree that a car is necessary for my trip? They seemed pretty adamant I should get one but that's just one opinion!

I did the trip I mentioned without a car, it was very easy and travel time was always very reasonable