Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'll be in Taiwan with my wife and three of our friends April 7 - 20 if a goonmeet wants to happen then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Taipei+Taiwan+TWXX0021

Leaving for Taiwan tonight for two weeks.

Does this really mean it is going to be raining the entire time? Or is it more of an on/off thing? This will be my first time to the island in the spring.

How will it affect going out/getting around? Hiking? etc.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I went to Taiwan in '08 and in '09 and Danshui was, well, Danshui.

Just returned from a trip a bit over a week ago and now all the signs say "Tamsui".

:confused:

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Magna Kaser posted:

I do wonder how it will work though with customs and stuff. Is Taiwan technically an international flight????? I MEAN IT'S THE SAME COUNTRY, RIGHT?

Haha we flew LAX - PEK - TPE and also had trouble figuring out where they wanted Taiwan transfers to go. I'm pretty sure it DID end up being an international transfer though.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

dlink posted:

sup guys i'm going to taiwan in early July.

Just wondering if its possible to stay around Taichung and visit the Taroko Gorge and get back to Taichung in a day ???

edit:

Oh right, i'm going as a tourist, i'll be in Taichung for like 4 days, Tainan for like 3 days and 4 days in Taipei.

I've done some really simple research on what to do/see, but seeing as you guys seem to have been there for ages, i'll just ask for suggestions :D

So tell me what do i have to see/do in the region you're in :D

I was with a group of friends and we did Taipei -> Taroko -> Taipei in one day. It's really tight but if you leave early in the morning you should be able to hike at least a few trails or, if you rent a scooter/take a bus, see a bit more of the park.

We took a bus from Taipei to Luodong station (http://goo.gl/maps/QqJG) and you should get off at Xincheng station (http://goo.gl/maps/5zi3). There are cabs waiting right out front to take people up to Taroko usually, and it's pretty cheap. We made the mistake of going all the way to Hualien station and the cab ride up to Taroko was about $20USD (split between 4 of us, so $5 each). From Xincheng I'd imagine it to be less than half of that.

There is also a scooter rental place right at Xincheng station, although I don't know if they rent to foreigners or if you'd need any sort of license. Legally I know you need a license but these places in the more rural areas tend to be more relaxed. The scooter rental sign was in English, though.

When we were done we just caught the last bus from the Taroko visitor center back to Xincheng station, rode the train to Luodong station, and hopped on a bus back to Taipei. Nobody spoke English in the Luodong or Xincheng stations so some Chinese will definitely be helpful. Plan as much as you can before using Google maps. Make sure you select public transportation, it is incredibly accurate and helpful.

This might not be immensely helpful since you're leaving from Taizhong, but hopefully someone can use it.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 19, 2012

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Herr Tog posted:

I didn't find anything in hte OP so I will ask here: Hiking and camping in Taiwan? Possible? Legality? WHERE!?

Near Taipei? Take the Red 5 bus from Jiantan station to Yangmingshan.

Want to get away? Take an overnight bus from Taipei Main Station to Alishan. I think it's on the Kuo-Kuang bus line, and is only on Thu/Fri (maybe Fri/Sat) nights from the western terminal (#2?). You'll get there between 3 and 4am, in time to catch the historic train ride to the top for the amazing sunrise over distant Yushan. Then spend a few hours hiking around/back down toward the bus terminal. The return bus leaves around noon and gets you back into Taipei between 6 or 7 I think.

Hop on a train on the east coast and head down to Taroko Gorge. Get off at Xincheng station and take a cab up to the visitor's center. If you're leaving from Taipei, go EARLY in the morning (like the first train you can catch). We left Taipei around 9am and only really had time to hike one trail before we had to catch the last bus out from the visitor's center. Live and learn.

Hope this helps. :)

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 7, 2012

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

TetsuoTW posted:

Actually the whole thing with Taiwan's attitude toward Southeast Asians reminds me: anyone got any idea where to get a decent book about Tagalog grammar in this joint? Page One (RIP) doesn't have anything, and neither Xinyi nor Dunhua Eslites have more than books that are just lists of sentences. I may as well be looking for a book on learning loving Klingon.

http://www.amazon.com/Klingon-Dictionary-Star-Trek/dp/067174559X

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

How would an American go about finding and purchasing real-estate in Taiwan? One day I'd like a permanent vacation home somewhere else on the planet, and I think Taiwan should be that place.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/14/4329414/photos-of-san-zhi-abandoned-futuristic-resort-in-taiwan

Anyone been to this abandoned resort town? Had no idea it existed.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

poetrywhore posted:

I live in Pingtung and never heard of the thing. But we have a spare bedroom if you want to come down and check it out you can have a place to stay.

I spent a weekend in Pingtung visiting a friend's uncle when I was studying in Taipei one summer. They got us drunk and took us out and had us try the area's supposed specialty - tomato chunks that you dip into a sort of sweet sauce. Do you know what I'm talking about and is there a name for it?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

The darker one but I'm curious to know more about that one as well!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Backweb posted:

I'm looking at booking my flight for early september with Eva Air, nonstop from JFK...

Anybody fly with them before? Are they anything like flying with ANA?

I flew Eva direct from LAX in 2008 and had a pleasant time.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I honestly just brought chocolate weed edibles with me on the plane last time I was there. Sunrise Alishan and hiking all over YangMingShan and Taroko was fun. :D

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

quadrophrenic posted:

Anyone know of any music stores that sell trad. Chinese instruments instead of just drat ukeleles and cellos?

Because I've decided that this is the coolest drat thing ever and I want one now.

P sure that is just a mouth harp and you can buy it in many countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew%27s_harp

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Pandemonium posted:

Or, you know, a follow-up post telling me to not read too far into your posts.

Or maybe just stop doing that altogether on your own like a well-adjusted person on a paid membership comedy forum.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Honestly what's so bad about dating a co-worker? If it's true love and you end up married and spending the rest of your lives together happily then that definitely outweighs any social stigma against it imho

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

At least 4 paragraphs

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

What an awful thread

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Here we go again

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

How does one man manage to post so badly, so consistently?

Like, I knew what I was getting into when I saw 150+ unread posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Negative Entropy posted:

Congratulations Taiwan on achieving Marriage equality. 🇹🇼🌈