Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rockopolis posted:

Watson's and Commed mostly. Nothing else shows up on Google maps. Looks like there's a Decathalon sporting goods store on Guilin rd if I cant find anything nearby. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah those places are barely drug stores, you're not gonna find something like that there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Vanilla posted:

I'd happily swap out Sunmoon Lake for something a little closer. It was just a recommended destination by a friend who loved it.

Would you agree that a car is necessary for my trip? They seemed pretty adamant I should get one but that's just one opinion!

If you're going to Sun Moon Lake, maybe. But if you're just staying in the north, a combination of MRT + regular train to Hualien should be enough. The Jiufen bus trip from the center of Taipei is about an hour. The easiest way from Taipei to Hualien is the old train or a bus (the train did have a large accident a couple years ago however.) When you get to Hualien, it is very easy to just hire a taxi for the day to take you around to all the major stops (I did that...4-ish years ago? there is probably an old post in this thread when I did it.) Honestly, in Taipei especially, parking and getting around would be terrible if you don't know the layout of the city. The MRT can take you almost anywhere in the city proper, and lines extend out to most played in Xinbei.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3897992?fbclid=IwAR38rQfLDuGIIk75xwqKPWkvTQ1U5J1wtPqkGmCio5EttyJac281KB9e2F0

Teachers and students are not allowed to leave the island until the summer. Says Taipei but I heard for the entire country.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2020/06/07/2003737773

I honestly did not think they would vote him out, even after all the poo poo. I've never met anyone younger than 50 who liked Han.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Are there enough people here who want to have a line chat or should I finally join the taipei goon one? Need to escape this sinking ship.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pirate Radar posted:

Sure, do you have one of us on Line?

I don't think I do, someone can PM me and I can try to do it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ooooh boy, did I just have an experience, and I will keep having this experience for at least the next 2 Sundays. My wife enrolled us in a Taiwanese education class, so I could learn some Taiwanese vocabulary. She would be there to help translate stuff because the class is being taught in Chinese.

What I did not know was that each class was going to be from 8:30 to 5:10, for 3 sundays. And that the class would be held in a small room where we would all just be sitting on plastic stools, all day. The class was designed for SE Asian wives of Taiwanese husbands to learn Taiwanese - explicitly so they could speak Taiwanese to their children. And I knew when in the morning there was were several local politicians there to make speeches, things would be bad. And then there was a news camera in the afternoon - also a bad sign.

This was everything bad about the Taiwanese education, and East Asian in general, educational experience. Just force as much poo poo as possible into as little time as possible. Review? What the gently caress is that for? Never repeat anything you just said to make sure people understand it. You have a person who is just speaking at you, not to you. In my 6 hours of class, we spoke...maybe 5, 6 times? And never individually, always just repeating as a group. There was never an opportunity to ask question, or practice your speaking, or to do...anything. Just sit there and listen to an old lady in a bad wig. It was just brain melting. You don't practice, you don't have time to remember, you just...sit there. And look at your watch. Some of these people are losing their only day off to be there.

There were 16 people in the class. Some were wives for Taiwanese men, some were in-house maids/caregivers, and then me. Good mix of people - Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, one Hong Konger. But I know that out of this group, maybe 1-2 of them were totally fluent in Mandarin and could read and understand most of what the teacher was saying. Maybe one half could get the jist of some like me. But I know there were alot of them who had less Mandarin than me, and they were just stuck there. We decided to leave early because the last 3 hours was going to just be how important a balanced healthy diet is ( explained in mandarin, not taiwanese.) Which is also why there was also a half hour lesson about safety lessons for driving electric bikes (the ones with the pedals.)

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 12, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I believe you still need to tell them you intend to travel out of the country soon.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm also waiting to see when I can get the 2nd shot of AZ. I had mine on 5/12.

in the final all hands meeting (on Google meet) my boss said that all teachers would be expected to get vaccinated before school begins on September 1st. Now this dude is a dumbass but I could see the MOE saying something like that. The school had been collecting info on how got shots already. They didn't tell how to to get these shots. My original waiting time was supposed to be until July 8.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Did you just contact the hospital you originally got it at? The registration system at the hospital I went to was taken down after self-paid no longer was an option. I know I should research it but I just passed 8 weeks a few days ago, so I want to give it a bit longer before I bother with it.

(Also, I'm in the middle of a move so I got about a zillion other things on my mind but yeah, I really shouldn't forget about it.)

In Taichung the sign-ups for this week opened on Friday at 130 pm and filled up almost immediately. I'll try again this Friday to get one.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I don't think they will let us the 14 day quarantine again until vaccination rates are high enough. They are very afraid of Delta getting in, because they saw how quickly they death count came for their elderly. Still only 3.5% fully vaxxed, and that's with AZ ( I'm one of them.) 40% have their first shot, and all of that is in the past 3 months.

My parents had plans to try and come here to see my baby in January if the quarantine went down to 3 days/nothing, I don't think that is happening any time soon, and I have no idea how I could go to the US with him and go through a 14 day back.

Enjoy our Palau bubbles if you want to leave the island any time soon.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This thread is now dead but if people are thinking about flying here, the mandatory quarantine is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BabyFur Denny posted:

I'll be one of them in April/May.
Currently the plan is to go to Hualien first, for Taroko gorge, hike to Hehuanshan
then Sun Moon Lake (which will require us to go back up through Taipei and down the other side of the island via train, I think?)
Then Chiayi for Alishan Forest and a hike to Yushan Peak before going back to Taipei for a week or so. What else is recommended around Chiayi?

How do locals react to non-local dialects? Do they assume you're from Mainland China?

There is a road that goes across the island between Hualien and Taichung/Nantou but regular traffic can't use it I think? Only a bus service.