Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010
I've only read the OP saying that Taiwan isn't a great place for a vacation but I thought I'd come grab some information off people if they can help!

I'm from Australia, serial traveller and I'm looking for another trip, maybe only for two weeks or so before Christmas (university holidays). I understand this probably works out favourably for more comfortable temperatures in Taiwan. The reason I'm thinking of going to Taiwan is quite simply I've been almost everywhere else in South-East and East Asia (some countries on several occasions) and I want to add another country to my list of experiences. It's not a massive flight away so I figured I'd see if it can keep me entertained. I want to travel again but to be honest I can't be hosed doing a 24 hour return journey to somewhere else, I only just did that a few months ago and I'm sick of it for a year or two.

I'm really into hiking, peace and culture, especially in East Asian nations. I really loved Japan, China and Hong Kong for these reasons. Is Taiwan similar in experience opportunity? How much would I expect to spend in $US per day for budget travel? I like the idea that the country has efficient rail transport, it makes travel in East Asia and Europe so much more enjoyable. Hopefully it's the same in Taiwan? Obviously I can't speak the language, how much of an issue is this? Is it ok to play charades and be obnoxious or should I try to learn some of the language?

So there it is. Is Taiwan worth my time and money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for all the replies regarding holidays in Taiwan. Just a couple of more specific questions?

I'd be travelling with my girlfriend, we're happy to eat cheap and off the street but we'd like to stay in accommodation that is half decent. Happy with double rooms in hostels or good value 3-4 star hotels or guesthouses. Just don't want to sleep in dorm beds. We aren't big drinkers or into crazy nights out, nor do we want to shop. How much would we be likely to spend in two weeks there? If someone could tell me some sort of daily budget (per person) for us considering we'd be sharing some costs.

Also, are parts of Taiwan comparable with any other areas of Asia? For example, is Taipei like Tokyo or more like Hong Kong or more like Guangzhou? Does the countryside resemble southern China or Northern Vietnam or something totally different? Just asking because I know nobody who's been there and there's not many world famous areas or landmarks that stick out in my head when I picture Taiwan.

Final question. What are the opportunities for hiking like in Taiwan? I know there's a bunch of different mountains there, but are they good for exploring?

Thanks in advice and for the quick replies on my previous post! Great thread and detailed contributors.