Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
So with ESL I shouldn't expect to save that much, though maybe more than in China right? Looking to leave Korea for something else, but I still need to save money. I guess I can't have both.

What about with technical writing? I have some journalism experience as well, but if the hours are Asian hours is it really worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

sirormadman posted:

Keep in mind this is 5 year old info. The tech writing jobs are mainly in hsinchu and neihu. Basically writing and editing product manuals. It's mostly piece work, as far as I can tell, so you get paid for production, as opposed to working silly hours. You definitly need a technical degree so they can hire you legally. Engineering, physics, hard science.

There are also several patent shops in Taipei that hire foreigners with said degrees to assist in writing US patent applications. There is one in younghe called NAIPC. They have a web site. Last I heard, pay is better than teaching. Whem I worked there it was quite decent.

I used to see ads for these positions in the taipei times.

Edit: I cannot recommend the patent job enough. The pay is good and the work interesting. Just avoid the local company politics.
Tech degree for technical writing? Sure it makes sense in that sentence I just typed, but surely the department in a university that teaches technical writing would be a little better, no? If it's a requirement then I can't do my usual selling of a philosophy degree as actually being very applicable to this kind of writing.

What are the positions usually named for the patent shops?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

duckfarts posted:

Engineer requirements(which tech writing falls into) are 4-year university degree + 2 years experience in a related field, high school diploma + 5 years experience in a related field(not 100% sure on this one), or a PhD + who cares years experience in a related field, last I remember. The "related field" could be something like tech support or repair, or maybe a newspaper job; a lot of different jobs could possibly count as related experience so long as the position wasn't something like "sandwich artist".

^^^ For the companies I worked with so far, there is no translation; English is the source language for documentation, and any translation comes from that document, including Chinese.
I can document plenty of experience for that as long as they don't need really famous names. What is the pay range for technical writing? I have heard crazy ranges from $20-$50+ an hour.

e: Thanks vvv

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 8, 2012

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah, the unpaid work. In Korea I am working about 40+ a week once you factor in all the grading.

Are you NETs allowed to take privates? Our visa here in Korea forbids us from receiving any other pay or doing any other work. Sometimes even volunteer.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

OrangeGuy posted:

After skimming the Korea thread a few times before, I can easily see the difference in "unpaid work" (i.e. people seem to be exploited a hell of a lot more in Korea than in Taiwan).
Yeah, half of that exploitation may just be me on that thread. The biggest culture shock may be going to a company where I am not poo poo on all the time. You can ask me about 100 hour weeks for carpentry and metal working at $250 a week before taxes. Korea is a union paradise compared to some of the stuff I did in the US. That said, I am starting to get accustomed to having a real job and am thus getting pickier.

The lower pay in Taiwan may not be so bad if I can pick up privates. Can someone save me the pages and pages of visa documents?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Ah, so less enforced than in Korea. Korea has started offering bounties for people to turn in E2 Visa holders teaching privates.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

Who the gently caress wants to live alone anyway? I'd rather have a place with a bedroom and a living room and not just a bedlivingkitchen.
Do expats actually have roommates in Taiwan? That terrifies me. Of course I have had some pretty crazy roommates as those are the people attracted to the cheap places I could afford.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Do I need a US FBI CBC for Taiwan? I am somehow missing information on this.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

USDA Choice posted:

A check by your local municipal department should be fine, if it's required at all. I can't recall exactly maybe someone who applied more recently can tell but I think checks are only required by the individual school and are not for the visa. I can tell you that for Hess a year and a half ago I for sure only needed a check by the police of my suburb.
I got the full US FBI CBC and bunch of apostilles for Korea and they apparently changed the laws here so that you have to have a new FBI CBC even if you haven't been back to the US since you last got it. So that's a nice $200+ I have to spend for that.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

What are the odds of me finding cheap lodging in the first half of August? Hostels? Does Taiwan have overnight saunas like in Korea?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Vacation is coming up for us Korea goons and the idea right now since it is last minute (Aug. 4-19) is to hit up Taiwan and Hong Kong. What is the travel like between Hong Kong and Taiwan? Easy? Cheap? Fast?

If I have 7 days in Taiwan can anyone give suggestions, or better yet do you guys have a goon welcoming party like we sorta do?

My goals for the trip are to keep it within budget, eat a lot of food, and try and make some contacts or at least get some leads for finding a job as a technical editor or patent engineer in the winter. I am of course open to anything I am qualified for that isn't teaching, maybe unless university jobs open up.

Cheap lodging, things to eat and drink (tea and booze), other... stuff? I am really bad at taking vacations, just started doing them recently. Also, my Mandarin is pretty much non-existent. I off on have enough to order food and say a few words and my reading is really only limited to food items. At one point I could tell someone to put on their turtle shell and ask them where their socks were. That time is long past though.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Do y'all suffer from hyperphalia too? It is so bad here in Kpop land that MBC was considerate enough to run a special on it.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

All of my vacation plans are hosed so I am doing this last minute. I found a relatively not so expensive last minute flight to Taipei for about 6 days. Is that enough time to putz around Taipei and maybe see another part of the island? Does anyone want to show a goon around? Do you have a welcoming committee? (It's a thing that Lummox and I over in the Koreathread started doing, mostly it's an excuse to get drunk with new goons and show them some cool poo poo)

Any recommendations on hostels or just go online and pick one with a good rating. Are there other housing options?

The other idea is to take a flight with a 20 and 23 hour stop over there and back in Taipei that arrives and leaves around noon. How far away from interesting things is the airport? Could I run in, eat and drink, sleep, and get out with reasonable ease?

DuckFarts, are you the technical editor/patent engineer guy?

Doesn't Wall Street in Taiwan require a CELTA and some serious experience or was The one in Seoul giving me a story?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Really I just want to come out and maybe see some buildings and then eat a bunch of food and do that again on the way back.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

the eating and drinking thing was for the layover. I guess for 6 days I would want to do some hiking and tea drinking/buying and maybe a beach? Does everyone wear a full set of clothes with only a face visible at the beach there too?

Really, I am looking at Taiwan on word from my Hong Kong friend who loves it. Also as a backup in case my flights to HK or Vietnam on Sunday turn out to be too expensive or non-existent.

Also, scouting a new place to move to for work. The short list for writing gigs is Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. With 5 years in journalism and 4 in IT and a degree I should be able to find something I would think.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

What is 104? a site? any other sites?

I know I have brought this up here before, but I don't remember URL's take on it. Maybe we can PM so as not to clutter the thread.

If I do make it in, there isn't really anything I wont try (as long as it won't make me sick), there are some things I know I don't like, but will try anyway like fermented skate wing in Korea. There is a reason they keep that poo poo covered on the buffet and I have yet to find a Korean who willingly eats it.

Basically all I heard about Taiwan from her was "trees, green stuff, real tea, bubble tea, noodles, OMG!" Also, sorta kinda clean air!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Booking tickets now and I am choosing between HK, Taiwan, and Philippines (once I factor in the flight to Cebu to gtfo of Manilla) they are all about the same cost. Easy enough to get around in Taiwan? Meet up with a few of you? if that's the case then I'll just go Taiwan because the Philippines would be great, but gently caress if I know what to do there solo.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

If I figure out how to get a ticket, this country better be freaking awesome. I have spent 8 hours trying to get this ticket downloading all of the Korean Bank viruses software that I can and it still isn't working. If I just stroll into the airport at 7PM I should be able to find a hostel right? It's a little too late to try the couchsurfing website. Is there anyone able to meet up on Saturday for dinner while I figure poo poo out?

I'll definitely be using my data roaming plan. $8 a day to have unlimited data wherever I want? That's fine.

What do you guys use down there? WhatsApp? Kakao? Can I get some contact info?

I would totally be down for a car trip if you want to use me as an excuse to rally the troops.

:siren: I DID IT!!! :siren:

by 19:00 tomorrow I should be landing in Taiwan Taoyuan International, terminal 1.

Now the clusterfuck that is trying to plan a vacation and pack in a few hours when I wake up after hunting the streets of Seoul at 2AM for a printer.

What do you guys need to contact me on Whatsapp? my phone number? It's acting wonky for me. Just let me know what you guys use.

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 10, 2012

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Oh, hey, how is the light pollution in Taipei? Is anyone going out to see the Perseids on Saturday night?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Haraksha posted:

Oh, poo poo, I didn't realize you meant like show up today. Are you going to be here next weekend? I have plans tonight. gently caress.

I'll be here till Sunday at noon so I can be free for Saturday. I literally have no plans. My biggest goal is to get a collection of websites to look over while on the bus to the airport and find a hostel just for tonight. I posted all over couchsurfing, but haven't made requests there yet. Are Taiwanese guys as awful as Korean guys are? I might start asking for a couch from some of the women on the site if that is the case.

Easy enough to get around by train or bus? I have a guy offering me a couch in Taichung, is that a city that is worth while?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Crap, do you guys really use 110V? It's easy and cheap to get the outlet transformers right?

This is still the foreigner hotline right? 0-800-024-111 If I am calling with Skype do you omit the 0 so it is just 886-800-024-111

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 11, 2012

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

There is a big party tonight at an all you can drink bar.

Oooh, that may be great because it would appear that all of the hostels are booked tonight. :(

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Thanks for inviting me out T-goons it was great fun. Plan is to go to Hualin for Monday and Tuesday then Tianan for Wednesday and Thursday. Then back to Taipei. Any suggestions?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Haraksha posted:

Though Taiwan might be a stop for sushi because the prices here are pretty reasonable. There's a dude at the local market who gives me like three servings of sashimi for 150NT when I go there.
Let's go.

Url, fried bees in wulai on Friday or Saturday?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Dear hostel, thanks for the lack of information on this tour package I paid for. I guess I'll just stowaway on this Chinese tour bus. Not exactly sure where I am going. Wooooo!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

$1000 for 삼계탕? Oh my heavens, I must clutch my pearls. Heading up to Taipei because I had gently caress all of an idea about what to do in Hualien by myself. Missed the 2 hour train though and now stuck with no seats on the 3 hour train. Am I allowed to stand in the air conditioned car or am I destined to soak this shirt all the way through?

I'll be in Taipei tonight and then again on Friday, if this guy in Taichung doesn't flake on me. The plan is to do sun moon lake on Thursday.

I am down for sushi and brews. Is that Saturday or Friday. I want to get out to Wulai one of those days.

Things I want to buy here (thinking a grocery store is probably best) and I need some suggestions :
Loose leaf tea. Black, oolong, green
Booze, what do you recommend
Dry sausages
Deodorant (its actually cheaper here)
What else do I need, looking at you Hakasa, if you had to go back to Korea what do you buy.
Might try to smuggle some fruit too.
My own tapioca pearls or can I just make those at home.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Well came up to Taipei for a trip to Sun Moon Lake and the guy flaked out, so my Thursday is now wide open.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

What's for breakfast in this world?
Best place for a sunset? Tamsui?
Supermarkets?
Hot Springs... In the summer?

Best place to reach me is gtalk, Kakao, whatsapp, or line

I think museums tomorrow and then Friday I have heard of a few things. Nothing at all planned for Saturday :(

Going to try supermarket if I can find one. Do my shopping before I forget.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Below TMS MRT like Q square or below that?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Well that was a pain and a waste, looks like the Maokong gondola will be closed every time I can go. Apparently it is a gale that isn't strong enough to move a leaf that shut it down.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

So who is going to the Daocheng Fireworks Festival on Saturday? http://www.taipeitravel.net/frontsite/en/intro/activityListAction.do?method=doFindActivityById&menuId=1030104&activityId=1385

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Do the Taiwanese not bow? Realized with my sore neck today that I haven't bowed once since here.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Mission "get poo poo for Korea" accomplished, but I had to spend $2885NT on my debit card. Assuming all these bottles of liquor don't break and I can get through customs I will have sausage and jerkey and mango and a gently caress ton of booze and tea. Hopefully this higher/middle end Taiwanese whiskey is good. Hong Kong guy recommended a $2500 bottle, said it was famous in Hong Kong and it was 3x the price there. Also had a good trappist ale and chicken hearts on the street as my last meal if I don't find breakfast.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Why do you keep all your Malaysians and Indonesians crowded and piled around the low #s of exits Y and M on Sunday morning? That was ridiculous. I have never had to shove through so many women in hajibs.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I found Kinmen 38 here and the cost is $1585NTD. I already miss people not shoving me and the lines people made for public transit. Fruit I miss that too, even the more manageable amount of rain yall have.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I bet y'all have limes all over the place... :smith:

They don't even use all of them. I saw some just sitting whole in a big metal bowl with ice. As decoration! I saw others sitting in jars of water. I could even get a lime in my gin and tonic on my cheapo economy class ticket over the East China Sea, but I can't get one at a fancy bar in Seoul?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

HappyHelmet posted:

They don't have limes in Korea? That's really weird. Why would fruit be in short abundance?

We have fruit it's just expensive. $4 for a small lovely lime? I've seen $6 for a pear and $13 for a cantaloupe.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

caberham posted:

Don't you guys have something like this in Taiwan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_C_Lik-cheung

Managers hate paying staff for a day with no work :smith:

It seems managers also hate staffing doing work when they do come in, so...

Li C Lik-cheung - I love that.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

quadrophrenic posted:

So how common is it for typhoons to do a complete loopdy-loop about face and head back to the place they just were, even stronger? It looks like it's gonna be a rough week for Kaohsiung.
Back off! Bolaven is ours.
-The Kgoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Two Kgoons are coming down for mid autumn festival. I can confirm that they are chill and a good time.