Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Hi all, going to Taiwan for a little over a week. Travelling with some family. Trying to distract myself while waiting on the flight, feeling super nervous, sweaty hands and stomach all twisted up. :(
Anything you'd recommend checking out or doing in Taiwan? So far, I'm lining up hiking, hot springs, I've had the National Palace museum, the aboriginal museum, and Anping Old Fort recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

GoutPatrol posted:

Please don't say you're coming back to vote.

The air quality in the past week has really been in the shitter so be prepared for that. Are you playing on being the North or the South?
One of my relatives might, but not me. Never been to Taiwan
Thanks for the heads up about the air.

We are kind of going all over, but spending the most time in Taipei.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

The train ride in was incredibly pretty. Like riding through a Studio Ghibli set.

I've kind of got a headache, though. I think I might take it easy and just grab one of the tourist passes and catch the 101 and the National Palace museum today, maybe look for some hot springs in the evening.

Oh, and I've got to make time and visit the Taiwan beer brewery - about the only kind of beer I like drinking, and they've got an bunch of weird ones I've never seen in the states.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I used to get it when I visited Flushing in NY. I liked it. It looks like they have a bar in front of their brewery in Taipei.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Oh, haha - I don't drink much normally, especially beer. It was just easy to drink.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Whew. Hiked Xiangshen. This place is beautiful.
Also saw a barefoot dude hammering out weights in the open air gym on top of the mountains. Also a dude with a hentai hoodie. This place is goonier than I expected.

My appetite is all hosed up from jetlag or something, I've barely been able to eat anything today.

I want to make a trip north - hike Yangmingshan and cap off the day at the hot springs in Beitou. Not sure how much else it make sense to cram into a trip like than - National Palace Museum and the Aboriginal museum is vaguely in that direction, but I'm not sure about the timing for a day trip.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Are ankle braces not a thing in Taiwan? I can't find any, looked in a couple pharmacies. Managed to roll my ankle while hiking Yangmingshan. Not too horrible, but I was hoping to get little support for it.

Yangmingshan was great - got a little lost getting there, and Mt Datun was closed due to landslide, but hiking Quxingshan was pretty. Little cloudy.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

No Costco membership.
Searched Watson's and Commed mostly. Nothing really shows up on Google maps. Looks like there's a Decathalon sporting goods store on Guilin rd if I cant find anything nearby. Thanks for the tip.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Got one. Thank you for the help.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Man, I just want to move here and be an insane hermit in the mountains. Saw Bitan, got there before the swan boats opened up, hoofed it across Jinghe trail to Maokong, rode the gondola back, now I'm drinking beer and eating stinky tofu. I need to find stinky tofu back in the States.

Reading through Taiwanese websites is tricky for me, I've been trying to find a place that rents out rowboats or kayaks. Found a few that were for big guided tourist groups, but not really any just rentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, moved on to Shanghai and I'm already missing Taiwan :v:
That was an amazing trip, really glad I went, and I'm already scheming for a way to come back. Next time I want to do more hiking and actually find a hot spring to go to.
I really liked the hiking the most, a lot of the city spots were kind of meh - Taiwan 101, National Palace museum. Taiwan Beer ice cream at Snow King was pretty good. The city itself was fun to look at, I don't know if there's a word for it, but I really liked how the city was integrated into the mountains and jungle, it was really cool seeing buildings poking out of the jungles and on mountains in the middle of the city.