Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Hi thread. Interested in Taiwan among other countries in Asia. I haven't posted at all in this thread yet, but anyone in here who wants to shill Taiwan to me can feel free to do so (I have my own skepticism given the amount of humidity and bad air quality in certain cities though, much like other places in E/SE Asia). Going to post my long copypasta from other threads.

Tbh I'm just trying to figure out a place in Asia to call home for a few years, so I'm struggling to figure out where to ask this between here and the Korea thread. My main asks are decent air quality, decent weather (hot and humid is fine as long as we're not talking about Miami/Tallahassee levels; I used to visit grandparents there and don't want to repeat that experience ever again), a decent cost of living, and a decent enough job market so that my gf and I can find work. Jeju island in Korea seems like it might be nice so I'm going to follow up in the Korea thread as well

I have to confess that another big motivation for me is COVID. I am now fully vaccinated but I recognize that the airport/flight over could be a problem with variants, but after the inevitable quarantine period I want to live in a country where I can have a normal life and not be afraid all of the time which is how I feel like things will stand in the West for years to come. I look at Vietnam having what, 3 new cases per 100,000 in the past few weeks? Regardless of how much Asian countries may or may not be cooking the books, their response has undeniably been insanely robust compared to everywhere else. And while I like the idea of living in New Zealand okay, the cost of living seems insane and I'd rather experience more culture shock rather than simply move to another Anglo country. Plus, NZ/Australia don't really fit with my aim of teaching English abroad.

If anyone knows good online "expat" communities then that would be helpful as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU