Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
JV's hostel in Taipei is friendly to people moving to Taiwan to teach. When I stayed there there were two other cats doing the same thing, and the employees were actually helping them find a place. Love that hostel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I'm looking to come over in September. I lived in Pingdong for two months back in 2011, studying at NPUE there, and I thought about going back to live there as I loved it, but my friends who stayed said they wish they'd lived in Kaohsiung, so I'm thinking I should live there instead. What things do you wish you'd thought to pack before moving over? What do you wish you'd known before you left but just didn't have the information on yet?

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
My favorite liquor is whiskey.

What's this I hear about a gadget you can get to confuse the internet and allow you to still watch your Netflix account outside of the country?

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Folks, how many of you had to take a physical exam upon getting hired as part of your Visa application?

I ask because I wonder what they're checking for. That is, if for example I had a friend whose home state allowed for the legal use of medical cannabis, and this friend used that medicine occasionally to help with depression and anxiety, should that friend discontinue use immediately and start chugging water?

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Thanks folks for the quick info. I'm moving to Pingtung (don't laugh, I like it there!) for the first year definitely, and then might move to Kaohsiung after. Holler anytime, especially if you want to go down to Kenting and soak up a little BLISS.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Glad the "pump and dump" nonsense got called out for what it was.

That said, I honestly want to respectfully date someone long term. But I live in Pingtung and I'm a lesbian. So what are my odds like? And how on earth do I approach asking a woman out without offending her? I don't know what cultural attitudes toward not-heterosexuality are around here and it makes me nervous because lawd have mercy I ain't tryin to be a hate crime.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I'm 31. I'd feel super creepy dating a frosher or even a senior for that matter.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Spanish Matlock posted:

Gay pride is October 26th this year, come into Taipei for the weekend, paint yourself rainbow and go to the parade.

OK, that's a date. I even have a homegirl who will let me crash and maybe even come along as an ally. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edit: nm she'll be out of town. But I'll figure it out, I'm sure I have other friends in town.

poetrywhore fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 3, 2013

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Spanish Matlock posted:

Work permitting, I'm totally there, dressed as Zangief.

Totally brought my handmade Wonder Woman costume over with me. See you there.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Lipstick is like queer. Okay amongst ourselves, and many people consider it their identity, but if an outsider calls us that, we might have to go round and round.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

I didn't find the Hong Kong pace to be that breakneck. That said, I routinely bitch about how loving SLOW GOD drat YOUR EYES OLD WOMAN Seoul pedestrians are.

Edit: Anyone know any good hostels in Taipei?

I enjoyed my stay at JV's, plus the location was great.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well, my ARC doesn't even expire for like a loving year so I'm not planning anything right now. I basically have the choice of either sticking around for another year and getting the APRC or saying gently caress it and moving on with my life to something different. I was mostly just thinking about the logistics of finishing my work week and getting on a plane the same day.

The woman whose job I took over just asked our boss to report that she quit work on the same day her flight left, as opposed to two weeks earlier which was the truth. So maybe if your boss is nice s/he'll do you a solid.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
What about contacts? It looks like the Costco would just sell them. Do I need an exam and a 'scrip or can I just roll in with an old box and say I need this?

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

hitension posted:

Also gently caress anyone who literally thinks they deserve special privileges just for being white, I think the internet even invented a term for that.

Is it poowizard? I bet it's poowizard.

Having Thanksgiving on Saturday here in Pingdong with Lokk and a whole mess of other cats. Hopefully my tiny apartment can manage!

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

caberham posted:

Everyone's calling bullshit. He's still pretty much in the closet. Like Ricky Martin.

Lord have mercy under what rock do you pay rent? Ricky has *done been* super duper out for some time now.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

Well then, I apologize on behalf of the entire paper that we're not up to your standards. :rolleyes:

Haters gonna hate, bro. I liked it.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

DontAskKant posted:

Do we have anyone in Kaohsiung?

I'm in Pingtung, for what that's worth (not much).

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Southern Taiwan people: add "Ginna FunkWallace" on Facebook and "funkwallace" on Line.

I realize I'm already speaking to a very specific subset of people: SA goons who live in Taiwan and speak English well, but on the off chance that within this small cross section there also happen to be some writers, I'm trying to create a community to meet up every month or two in Tainan or Kaohsiung or Pingtung or somewhere and swap poems and stories and songs. Started a group on FB.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Three Potentially Not Easy Questions Regarding Work:

1) Taxes!
It's a new year now, and the first time I'll be filling taxes in Taiwan. I know it's the time in the states when we start thinking about filing; is it that time here, too? I have no official records with my boss, but every month I calculate my hours and subtract 18% and then he pays me the remainder. What will I need to request from him to file? Once I have that, can I just do it online like back home and wait for the check in the mail, or will it be more complicated?

2) Teaching Younguns!
I've been under the impression that teaching kindergartners and/or five year old kids was illegal for me. My boss (are we picking up yet on the fact that he's a little shady?) tells me it's only illegal for me to teach *in a kindergarten* and that in a buxiban it's okay. He wants to try to recruit a new class and tells me he wants me to hand out fliers in front of a kindergarten in the morning, but if it is in fact illegal that feels like a great way to ask for trouble. So what's the truth of the situation, and if he's wrong, what law do I point him toward for evidence?

3) Second Jobs!
My Crazy Boss is terrified of me having a second job. If they're under the table and he finds out, I'm fired. But I hear if they file taxes on you legally, and they make a single mistake, that's how many people have wound up deported. What's the best way to make sure your second job is being filed legally and legitimately? I like it here and want to stay.

Thanks in advance for any potential help. I know this is a lot to dump at your feet but y'all have been my best and most reliable resource so far.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
So... No writers then?

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I don't have any interest in listening to people read bland work passionately either. I have interest in creating a thriving group that supports one another and gets better all the time. I'm a boss host and a boss facilitator with fourteen years of national level competition and networking under my belt, but you've already judged something I haven't even created yet on "one reading" you went to god knows where facilitated by god knows whom.

Edit: sorry, fifteen years

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
If anyone needs me I'll be packing to move to a country of Pandemonium's choosing where artists are allowed to be good or whatever. Alternatively, staying here, being awesome, and giving no fucks about a completely ignorant hater.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Pandemonium posted:

You need to learn what 故意'ing is. This is SA la. I am surprised with people like poetrywhore having such thin skin. That name alone makes her easily-offendedness infinitely more :what: + humorous.

Sucka betta not act like you know a GOT drat thing about me just because I defends my art.

Edit: haha! And then you go into great detail predicting the exact people who might show up at my events and exactly what will be read based on one show you went to once. Nevermind, you're hilarious. Talk all you want, but keep the comedy coming.

poetrywhore fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 3, 2014

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Is the lantern fest specific to Pingxi or if it's specific to the date instead might I find something going on in southern Taiwan? I might be mobile again soon and I'm getting cabin fever.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I'll have to wait for the next one then. No way am I mobile enough yet to get too far up the road right now.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
While y'all are being an amazing source of info on work related stuff for me in my first year, I have a follow up question about taxes.

I'm from the states where they have to have given you your tax papers by now - required by the end of February. When I asked my boss about them, she says the accountant told her that since I was here less than 180 days last year I get nothing back. Confirm/deny? Seems unfair, but then life often is.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Hey invaluable informants. It's time for Baby's First Scooter. I know almost nothing about them and don't want to buy blind. I'm 5'11" and weigh a buck sixty five, so I don't reckon I need anything small. I'm trying to be able to take it up mountains on the weekends or on road trips to beaches, so maybe 150cc is better? But this is my first scooter (lots of bicycle and car experience but automatic not manual transmissions and no motorcycle experience) and I hear lighter bikes are better for the hard part of the test (which one person tells me is going like 30 without putting your feet down, and another says is driving between some narrowly placed poles). So my question is, what sort of scooter (beyond the obvious "second hand") do you reckon I'd need? Actually, I'll take any and all scooter advice, not just what kind but test tips, whatever you got.

Edit: except pandemonium who will just tell me scooters are terrible and scooter drivers are terrible and I'm terrible for trying to drive one.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Are there any benefits to having a 125 instead of a 150 or vice versa?

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

duckfarts posted:

125s are more plentiful and should be cheaper. I don't think you'll get the same kind of price/performance from a 150, and I see those as being "the most powerful ones you can get before you have to get a 250cc license".

Wait so which one's better on price/performance, then? I'm confused.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
How negotiable are prices here? My daddy raised a horse trader.

poetrywhore fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 14, 2014

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've heard of trading horses, but houses?

Dang. Typos is a motherfucker.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Sincere thanks for all the awesome advice!

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Pandemonium posted:

Have you seriously never been in a situation that required more-than-normal politeness?

Now there's a question you could stand to ask yourself.

Edit: to be fair he might not actually be an rear end in a top hat, but just cranky from being tired all the time. It's got to be exhausting being The Greatest Person In The World And The Ultimate Authority On Everything.

poetrywhore fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 21, 2014

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Dude they butter everyone up. Don't let it go to your head.

Ninjaedit: n/m too late

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
But like, so what? If your Chinese is better than ours, so what? And if you hate us all, why stick around? You could just peace out and you'd be happier and so would we.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Pandemonium posted:

Real quick: the first part I bolded is so loving retarded I don't even know what to say.

You could start by saying something that isn't an ableist slur? Like, I know we're on SA, but this thread has impressed me by calling out racist and misogynistic poo poo in posts, so I don't think I'm wrong for expecting better in here.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
My A-Ma says 你的中文非常不好 dude. Aw yeah been here five months and I can type Chinese on my phone LIKE A 老闆!

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

TetsuoTW posted:

Narcissists have a bad history with ponds.

I got it the first time! Good thing I'm not an uppity dickhole or I'd post some self-indulgent bullshit about how despicable it is when people don't know their basic mythology.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

So no one knows where to look for Styrofoam boxes in nonstandard sizes?

I don't think I've seen much Styrofoam at all since I moved here. What if you got a big one and just cut it down and glued/taped what you needed back together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

duckfarts posted:

eyebrow waggle

How did I never notice the post-fart eyebrow waggle before? That poo poo's delightful.