Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Double posts are for the ducks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I just remembered SA lets you ignore users! Perfect. I'd like to invite all of you to my beautiful Panda Moaningham-free world.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Hey sluts, get your nametags ready, my roommate and I are coming up to visit our homegirl for the holiday weekend.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
OK now I want a burger for lunch on Friday. Where we goin? Who'll still be open for the holiday?

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
What are the odds any of these places grind their own meat in house? In lieu of that I vote for whoever has the sluttiest flavor toppings, like blue cheese, wine sauteed mushrooms, dare I dream truffle oil, etc. Japan has umami, the western world has [insert name for flavor that tastes like sex in the dirt].

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Tomorrow, Bravo's, 11:30am

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

moflika posted:

Anyone know of anything going on down south at the Agricultural Biotechnology Park in the Pintung area? There seems to be plenty of links to orgs with some info in English, but it seems like all :words: and very few companies actually setting up and getting stuff done. Hard to tell if its just another empty pilot zone. :/

I live in Pingtung and never heard of the thing. But we have a spare bedroom if you want to come down and check it out you can have a place to stay.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

khysanth posted:

I spent a weekend in Pingtung visiting a friend's uncle when I was studying in Taipei one summer. They got us drunk and took us out and had us try the area's supposed specialty - tomato chunks that you dip into a sort of sweet sauce. Do you know what I'm talking about and is there a name for it?

Like this or the darker brown sauce?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Will Rice posted:

I'll be in Taiwan for a few months this summer, and I'd like to have a smartphone while I'm there. Can I bring one from the US (unlocked/without a contract) and just buy a sim card in Taiwan for it at 7/11 or somewhere similar?

The short answer is: "yes"

The long answer is:

"Yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssss."

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I used to be a chef.

When I studied hospitality law in culinary school back in the day, I remember learning that "You break it you buy it" never held up in court.

My boss is talking about these "Mimio pens" we use, these like e-markers to write on the e-board thing and saying if we drop them we have to buy their replacement.

I live in a new country now. Can anyone speak to the legality of "You break it you buy it" in Taiwan? These puppies ain't cheap.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I'm not Taiwanese. I haven't broken one but it's something he mentioned and it really rubbed me the wrong way, so I figured better to ask around in advance.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I love Tainan! Especially AnPing. But there are a lot of expats there so if you are hoping to learn Chinese by immersion that might limit things.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Barto posted:

More Spanish actually.
Sorry...

I GET IT

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Us citizen, flew in on a one way with no leaving flight scheduled, did just fine.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Are there outlets for English writers of fiction and poetry in Taiwan (eg communities, slam poetry, publication, etc)? I also would be highly interested in volunteering for Amnesty International in Taipei if I can get placed there.

I haven't found any, poet here, been looking for a hot minute. Let's be homies though.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Alright, submitted my HESS application and questionnaire. :) Would they turn someone down for using counseling once a month for a few months back in 2012 for family issues? I am totally fine and healthy now and not using counseling/medication/etc now, just wondering if that would be an issue.

No way, man. You don't have to bring it up, and they probably won't ask. I was getting weekly CBT before I moved here, for reasons, but it's never come up, so whatever.

All y'all acting like moon cakes are a minefield act like you never heard of knives before. Cut a bitch and look!

poetrywhore fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 7, 2014

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Barto posted:

I used to live in an apartment with a poet.
Why is there such a high ratio of middle class white people who think they're poets on this sub-tropical island.

"think they're poets"

Yo, all you got to do is write a poem and you are one, man. that's like, I think I'm a scooter driver. Because I drive a scooter. I think I'm a teacher. Because I teach. Don't hate because it isn't your bag.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

"Uh, no, just because you 'write a poem' doesn't make you a poet, just like writing movie reviews doesn't make you a 'movie reviewer' you need to train for years and go to the special schools and and blah blah blah blah."
I mean, sure I oversimplified, one poem does not a poet make, but I disagree that someone must go to special schools, that's pretty classist. Some of the most phenomenal amazing poets I know (and I been in the game since '98) never had any classes. They just read hard and write hard and edit hard, and then they take a stage and blow everyone's everloving mind, and I think they're not only poets but awesome poets deserving of the title.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Oh hey I have a real question too. My roommate is miserable teaching and her contract is almost up. She has a law degree. She's spent a year or three working in Tucson for the Pascua Yaqui tribe helping them write things. She's hoping to get into translating papers and stuff. Y'all got any tips I can pass along to her? Can she still live in Pingtung and do this or does she have to live in Taipei for this sort of thing?

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Sure, that'd be great. :)

Not related to Taiwan, but what kind of poetry do you like to write? I would PM this but I don't have Platinum features.

That really is backchannel talk though, we got enough haters in here already without baiting them. Holler when you get Line on your phone or hit me with an email address or something.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

TetsuoTW posted:

No one was hating on people who actually take poetry seriously.

I hope you'll forgive me if I've been conditioned to be overly cautious with this bunch.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I have a local friend who went this weekend to the equivalent of FDA here with her university department to listen to a talk on it and ask some questions. I'm hoping to hang with her soon and hear about it.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
There most assuredly *is* a pee check - if you're female. Or, in my roommate's case, if you present as female no matter what your paperwork identifies you as. They want to make sure we aren't smuggling babies in. Not sure why people would want to smuggle in babies to a country that may or may not actually even be a country, but whatever.

Request Pingdong. Then you can be a Pingdonger. We're the coolest. We get up to antics and poo poo. And my Thanksgiving dinner is UNPARALLELED.

Edit: Reasons Pingdong is perfect: Not too big that it doesn't get quiet and empty-streeted at night, not too small that you can't find a good grocery or other expat friends. But not too big that there are so many expats you never hang with locals and improve your Chinese/Taiwanese. The cost of living is so cheap it's stupid - my roommate and I split a three-bedroom two-bath apartment as well as the NT$8K/mo rent. So my income is literally more than ten times my rent. Second biggest city in Taiwan (Kaohsiung) is less than an hour away and apparently extending its MRT to us soon, super crazy beautiful beach area (Kenting) and cool history pretty big city (Tainan) both less than two hours away. Seriously, I don't have any desire to move elsewhere. But I haven't been to the east coast yet. Planning a campscoot for the Chinese New Year holiday week, we'll see how I feel after that.

poetrywhore fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 16, 2014

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

DontAskKant posted:

Fixed that for you. :smug:

Uninvited. I have ThanksGiven all over this globe and also btw am an ex-chef and an ex-pastry-chef. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but beep beep.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Speaking of the campscoot, tell me what I should put down on my east coast roadie.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

lokk posted:

You might get put in pingtung. Our weird new teacher's last day is the 30th. Hit me up if that's the case.

He was over buying a roll from Spicy Mom when I pulled up to work the other day. She about jumped out her skin trying to wave me down to come over and talk to him. Definitely pretended I didn't hear.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

Still, I really need to hurry up and learn how to read/speak Mandarin so I know what I'm ordering.

Okay but until then just download the Hanping app and pay for the camera add-on/upgrade/whatchamacallit. Worth way more than the :10bux: they charge.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I got a soft spot for the Hi Marts. they're just so darn *trashy*.

I judge selfie sticks. I judge so hard.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
If you're within the sound of my voice* you're invited to Pingtung tonight. I finally got together all the ingredients I need for deviled eggs. I boiled three dozen last night, but I've invited a rather lot of cats and kinda feel like I ought to score another three on the way home from work today. Gonna do the ArkanSassy proud.

*and don't have a history of verbally abusing me / my friends

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Roommate and I are coming up for Pride this weekend. See you there and hopefully afterwards out at that outdoor row of gay bars y'all showed me last time. Unless you know something more FABULOUS going on elsewhere, in which case, let a sister know.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Alright well you know how to get at me, hit me up on Line, see you at the former presidential palace around 1PM.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Spanish Matlock posted:

behind main station. There's a bunch of halloween stores. I got a bunch of face crayons for gay pride there.

Yah I owe you :60bux: for those, too. Not gonna make it up tonight though. Next time, sugarpop.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Guys.

That movie though.

What just happened in my life zomg

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

caberham posted:

Yeah. We hk goons did made fun of it afterwards

You made fun of it? I loved it!

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I love Pingdong. $4k/mo.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Taiwan health care rules. Went in with a sore throat, in less than an hour and never leaving the exam room a tumor had been diagnosed and removed. Plus medicine for NT$340. Finding out next week if it was benign (probably, doc says).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

hitension posted:

Haha I was the one who invented this comparison to begin with and I will use it until the day I die

51st state 34th province 4lyfe
I invented the internet.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
A little help if anyone has knowledge please about renting:

I know in the USA we have the Fair Housing Act which outlaws discrimination of renting/selling a home on basis of race.

My landlady kicked us out because she got divorced and wanted her house back. The first place we moved into has turned out to be a total scam. We're moving into a good spot on Saturday but in the meantime, the apartment agent and the owner of the property are trying to rob us blind on the deposit and other verbal agreements we've made.

Does Taiwan have some equivalent of the Chamber of Commerce or Better Business Bureau or whatever that I can go to and report these shady dealings? I've screencapped all my correspondence with the apartment agent, which includes him twice telling me that the property owner didn't want to rent to us because we're foreigners, and includes the other agreements that he's now trying not to honor. My Chinese is still not awesome, but it's good enough at this point that I can handle this and I want to tackle it because who knows how many other people are getting scammed by this guy.

Also whether there would be a branch in Pingtung or Kaohsiung. This is pretty crazy info to be requesting I know, like some technical poo poo rather than just "where the good burgers at". Sorry.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Question regarding getting licensed to drive a scooter here vs. in the USA:

I'm heading home for the better part of a month. I want to drive all over my state. I sold my car there, and I'm thinking about buying a scooter, because I don't know any place that would rent one. I want to be mobile while I'm back and frankly, I love long distance travel in and of the country side. It takes longer? OK. Good thing my home state is loving beautiful.

So yeah I'm a naughty 外國人 but I haven't bothered getting a license here yet. I'm sure I'll need one back home. I heard if we move here with valid drivers licenses for cars we can just get them switched over. Does that apply for scooters, too? I'd much rather take a test written by native speakers of my own language without all those tricky morality questions on there. If not, do you reckon a license from here would get me a license back home? Or would that vary from state to state?

Just a note, I'm only looking for advice on scooter licenses in Taiwan and the USA, not looking for advice on how to learn to write Chinese (stroke characters) (lol who ever writes chinese anymore I got technology for that) or how to discretely carry on an affair with my boss's wife without getting caught. Because apparently I have to note that.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I got told there were a bunch of questions about what the signs mean and how the meanings changed based on shape/color of the sign, etc. When I read over the questions online, it included nonsense like "Why should you follow driving rules? A) Because that's how you keep your license and don't have to pay a fine B) Because it's the right thing to do and C) I don't I'm a rebel rawr" Like obviously my answer is A but am I supposed to pick B? Also I hear the bit where you have to drive slow for seven seconds is tough. Also also I hate tests they make me nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Correct. Stinky Tofu is sweet titty nectar.