Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Mr. Belpit posted:

EDIT: Oh, way back when I first started asking stupid questions, someone mentioned a scenic TRA "Ocean Line" from Kaohsiung to Hualien, but I can't find any info on that. Does it go by some other name officially?

Coast Line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Just marry one of your coworkers and then you won't need a work permit at all. Work anywhere you want!

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I hear it's pretty easy to slip onto a restricted military base and get some excellent photos of the ships in the harbor. Another goon might have more information though.

Pier 2 is a nice area with some interesting stuff.

Wakey Wakey is a restaurant / place to drink that's on Lotus Pond that is nice.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
阿榮海產店 this place in Kaohsiung has good food and cold beer.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I know plenty of people who don't have a scooter or car license. More people(foreigners) don't have them than do.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
It's possible to teach while learning Chinese. It's legal if you get a permit which is also possible but not always 100%.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
It's totally possible to get work while studying. Even if you don't get a work permit a lot of schools don't care. I worked 30 hours a week while studying for two years on a student visa.

I wouldn't recommend working that many hours but 10-15 is still a good chunk of money each month.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Ruifeng Nightmarket is alright or the Liuhe tourist nighmarket. Basically the same thing. If you've got your fill of street food already don't bother.

Head to Wakey Wakey at Lotus Lake and have a beer.

Or head down to Pier 2 and wander around and enjoy whatever is happening there.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
There are at least three craft beer places in Kaohsiung and a shop that has a huge selection of beer.

Beer store: https://www.google.com.tw/maps/plac...9!4d120.2961235

Here's another few places
https://www.englishintaiwan.com/food-and-drink/kaohsiung/zhangmen-brewery-kaohsiung
https://www.englishintaiwan.com/food-and-drink/kaohsiung/beer-bee-craft-beers
https://www.englishintaiwan.com/food-and-drink/kaohsiung/craft-beer-in-kaohsiung

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Foreigners in Kaohsiung(Taiwan?) are mostly really cheap. They don't enjoy spending 260NT for a delicious beer and would rather spend 169NT for a six pack of BAR and drink it outside.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Get a landing visa, get a job, do all the paper work.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Everything can be done in the country now as long as there's enough time left on your landing visa.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, idk if it's different for Canadians but as an American I landed and did the paperwork without a visa run, no problem

It is the same

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I started adding places in KHH.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm gonna resurrect this thread as I think it's the best place to ask.

I recently got tix back to the USA and the best option time/cost wise was EVA by a pretty fair margin. Does anyone know how their international service is? Am I in for a bad time or an OK time in the 12~ hours or so to the US I'll be on the plane for.

The better question is what airlines are used to? If you usually fly American carriers you'll be fine. If you only travel Cathay you'll be disappointed but still fine.

Either way you're fine.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I live in Kaohsiung and own a car. I pay 1500nt for parking at my apartment and 1600nt for parking near my school. Two taxes is annoying but if you're getting something with a smaller engine the gas tax is cheap. Parking is only lovely thing about having a car.

Driving in the summer with AC? Great! Just plan trips with driving time in mind.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I drive a Nissan Sentra and while not being tiny, it's small enough that driving is easy and big enough to fit a bunch of stuff in it. Parking has gotten way way way better in Kaohsiung. There are lots everywhere now. I pay 1500/month at my apartment. 1600/month at my school.

AC is awesome. Clean inside car air is awesome. Safety is awesome. Sacrificing a little time travelling in a car vs a scooter / public transport is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Getting mine today. Also in the south.

Edit: all done. Nurse said to check business as my reason. Said it doesn’t matter. Also signs up saying they don’t have any more bookings open.

thegoat fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 4, 2021