Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Do I want to move to Taiwan to work for my American company's Taiwan office with admittedly cool people but I'm only good at English? For three years. I have been to China a few times and also Japan. I hear Taiwan is between Japan and China in terms of hustle and bustle and cleanliness so it sounds reasonable. Also I can't speak Mandarin save for some pleasantries and generic phrases. And my wife gets to come with me but she's also a generic whitey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

simplefish posted:

Will you still be getting an American salary?

I assume they will make adjustments but try to enable the same standard of living because it's the same type of job. If I make $81k now, in the Midwest, what should I ask for there? The office is in "West District, Taichung City". I know zilch about Taiwan geography except "island with mountains".

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Taichung is the middle city on the island (chung is one of several romanizations for the Chinese word for "middle'; likewise "pei" in Taipei means "north" and so it's the northern main city).

Of the big three cities (Taipei, Kaohsiung, Taichung), it's the smallest of the three. It has easy access to the other two on the High Speed Rail. There's no airport, but again it's trivial to get to either airport by taking the HSR.

As the third largest city, you can expect it to be less foreigner and English friendly, but it's still going to be fairly accessible to a foreigner with no Mandarin. There are plenty of foreigners living and working there who get on just fine.

It has a decent bus system, but I don't believe it has an internal metro yet, though I believe there are plans for one.

Overall, you're in a good location to take trips on the weekends to see the rest of the island.

Thanks for this. I'm also reading the op which is super helpful. Not super worried about lack of non-bus transport within the city. My wife is a public transport master regardless of country so I just follow with my head down...

She does seem very excited and we don't really have many connections in our current location. Myself and the people at my company have a specific shared interest so I'm not worried about finding people to hang with. But yes she would have to bank on finding at least a few expat friends or those who spoke good english. In Taichung this sounds more challenging so we'll have to discuss it. Teaching English is something she'd be up for. So yes point taken on having to help her become comfortable over there and find a place to exist.

We'd mainly fly to LAX to see friends and family so that is not a big deal.

More questions: flying to Japan and HK. I would go to Shenzhen pretty often for work. And Japan is one of our favorite vacation spots. Is the latter an expensive flight?

And while 3 years is a long time...I dunno. Feels like there isn't too much to miss. We don't have big families and air travel is nbd to us. I'm not sure what we'd miss that we aren't already familiar with missing given that we picked up and left our prior home 2 years ago and it seems ok.

No kids...though we are curious to adopt and wonder if adopting in Taiwan is even permitted to foreigners.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

EVA premium economy was my favorite flight ever. From LA to Taiwan. I hear they do direct Chicago to Taiwan?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

My wife and I are gonna have a week in Taiwan in mid October and I need some fun ideas. I'll be starting from Taichung. We were thinking touring the little beach towns up and down the coast. Reasonable? Doable by the slow train?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Someone told me the high speed rail is more of a medium speed rail in the grand scheme of rail. So should I not expect Shinkansen speeds?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s literally a license-built Shinkansen line

I'll text him mid ride to tell him he's full of poo poo

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I imagine this sort of place is all over, but I found a cool artist/hipster array of shops, beer, and cafes here...

暖星空
403, Taiwan, Taichung City, West District, 民生路368巷4弄4號
+886 972 186 677
https://maps.google.com/?cid=14107428786306703621

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

A train derailed and killed a bunch of people in Yilan county :(

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3557499

My wife and I were planning to head down to Hualien on Tuesday morning via train.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

sub supau posted:

well i hope the two of you managed to make it down by bus or something, hualien is p nice

They had the trains running by then, so the trip went accordingly. But we went past some of the remaining wreckage at maybe 15mph.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Did gay marriage get one step closer to being legal?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Holy gently caress lmao.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

DoFun is in Taichung and makes weird sandwiches that I crave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Sunmoon Lake is cool but I'd rather allocate an extra day or two at Taroko or somewhere near there along the coast.