Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

yamdankee posted:

Still in a conceptual stage, but if I were to move myself, my wife, and dog to Taiwan - how do you bring your dog to another country? I've done some research and there is a good amount of paperwork and things to do for the dog. But my concern is the flight. My understanding is they stay sedated in the cargo hold, maybe a special section for dogs.

tl;dr: How do I bring my dog to Taiwan to live with us?

I took my dog from Taiwan to the US and while he certainly wasn't comfortable, he made it in one piece. The poor guy had to pee in his kennel which he had never done before (he had pee pads though) and we affixed some water hanging from the outside like in a gerbil cage, and he had a food tray too. As soon as he got out he was super thirsty and pooped immediately, but he's also been at home and not gone out to poop for 12-13 hours at a time before (very occasionally, only in emergencies) so it wasn't something entirely new in that regard either. Trans-Pacific flights are of course all long, but it might be worth specifically looking into something shorter like the SFO-NRT leg to shave an hour or so off the time because every bit can count for your special friend.

If you have a bulldog or something snubnosed, most airlines will straight up refuse to fly it because apparently their breathing problems are compounded by the low air pressure and it's a huge liability and they die easily or something?

If your dog is small enough, ~10lbs or lower, some airlines will let you take it as a carryon but still for a large fee, I know Delta is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

chiyosdad posted:

I'm thinking about bumming it in Taiwan for a month or two. Where can I find a nice beach without a lot of people?
When I lived in Hsinchu several years back, Zhunan had an awesome beach, just great for chilling. There was a little cafe right before you got to the shore area that had decent enough food, and you could also rent equipment too, I remember having a lot of fun learning to skipboard there. About 6-10 of us would hit the closest 7 beforehand and get snacks plus slurpees/beer for the day. From Google maps that cafe appears to be open still based on reviews, I guess they just weren't open when the street view pic was taken.

It's also a great scooter ride from Hsinchu; not too long at a little over half an hour, and you go right along the coast, it's just beautiful doing that drive in beach weather. That's the stretch where I set a personal best for speed on a scooter, topped out close to 62-63 mph. If you don't have a scooter because you're only there a month or two, you can take the local train to Zhunan station then a taxi out to the beach.

https://goo.gl/maps/dQe2Ps5Sw5A2
https://goo.gl/maps/bCZmRKxA9iJ2

You could certainly do a lot worse, of that I'm sure.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
I also did a year at Hess, I was actually hired from a Skype interview while in Taiwan though.

Like YF says if you get a decent branch it can be good enough. I think I only taught 2 Saturdays my entire year there so that was good, and my boss was a really nice guy and a huge pushover which worked out well for me. I taught 6 years ago though which is basically an eternity in the English teaching market.

The Hess interview did not feel hard. Even though it's just Skype, wear what you would for an interview normally, and most of the questions are easily answered by common sense. They'll ask if you have experience with kids, experience teaching, or what you might do in a common situation like if a kid cries or acts out. If you're not a sociopath and just explain how you'd take care of it in escalating steps as necessary, you should be good to go. And remember they'd much rather hear you talking about how you taught your little sister piano or some poo poo than a curt "no" to the question, so shoehorn anything you can into any semi-relevant situation.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Has there been any talk of opening Taiwan up to international tourists in the next couple months? I searched online and it looks like as of a week ago some international students are being let in which is a step in the right direction, curious what you've seen on the ground though.