Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Atlas Hugged posted:

My large friend recommended this place for slacks.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...1.5403318?hl=en

"Pants Kingdom"

Apparently buying shirts was less of an issue for him than pants.

"The biggest birds can fit into these jeans"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Kommando posted:

A pair of my expat friends in Taiwan are making GBS threads on their IELTS employers because they elected to change the registration regions to say "Taiwan, China".

I've noticed a lot of airlines changing their regions to identify Taiwan as a part of china, jerks.

IELTs is a poo poo test that no one ever wants to take anyway. gently caress it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

One time a taxi drove me from Miaoli to Taipei because I had work and missed the train.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I guess if you have a kid to drag around the traditional methods of travel could be annoying, but gently caress I really can't think of any place in Taiwan that I'd want to go that a bus/train/mrt/taxi wouldn't get me to cheaper and quicker than dragging my own drat car there. Like I know people in Taiwan have cars but I always just assumed that they were some kind of dumb status symbol.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

I'm going to Taiwan for about a week in late September/early October, but I don't know a lot about the place. At that time of year, what kind of weather should I expect? And are there are any places that particularly are/aren't worth going to at this time of year (as opposed to other times)?

I thought about spending 3 days in Taipei and then checking out a couple of other places, but I'm not sure if that would be rushing things. Or if Taipei is interesting enough to spend a lot more time in. I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations, I really know very little at the moment

Taipei is a cool modern city. The weather is warm all year and sometimes you can wear a jacket for like a week in February. As was said museums, maokong, and night markets should make for a good three day tour. If your into it there's a solid nightlife scene in Taipei so it's pretty easy to just hit a bar and make friends.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Taiwan beer is delicious.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

One time I wanted to go ice skating but they wouldn't let me in if I didn't buy gloves. Because apparently they just assume that people are so stupid they'll get frostbite otherwise. Oh and I once got yelled at for backstroking in the swimming test pool at the water park. Which they have because they believe that people are so dumb they'll just go into deep water slides without the ability to swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

I've been surprised by how many people don't realize, but you can opt-in for vaccine already if you like jfyi. Grabbed mine today. It's AZ so some people might want to wait for one of the mRNA ones, but it's there if you want it.

AFAIK the AZ vaccine is an mRNA one. You might be thinking of the China one that's just like, regular rear end "Here's a virus we slapped around for a bit" kind.