Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Keep in mind that if a school hires from abroad, it's probably because no one actually living here would work for their lovely pay/long hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ravendas posted:

The one that hired me from abroad had 16-20 hours/week, 800nt/hour, 0 homework or tests to grade. I was the sole foreign teacher there, which meant I had to do every class, so no one was around to fill in for me. Made it difficult for time off and made for some argumentative sick days, but it was great money for little work.

So, not always true.

I can't even begin to imagine why a school that only has one waiguoren would be recruiting from overseas. Also, I assume that, like Haraksha, your school is somewhere between the exact middle of nowhere and actual civilization.

It's super cool that you guys found sweet jobs in a pot at the end of a rainbow and all, but this island does in fact have a ton of soulless teacher mills, and a common practice at them is to scoop up a newly-grad, fly their rear end all the way to Taiwan, segregate them from all contact with the wider world and then work them unto death.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I work saturdays, but I teach adults so my students are busy during the week.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Ravendas posted:

The school was in the middle of Wanhua district, a few minute bus ride from where I lived in Ximen Ding. Quite a nice location.

Why were they recruiting people from abroad?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

There's nothing wrong with drinking tap water. I cook with it all the time too. Honestly though, a bottle of water is like 15NT.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I just got an HTC One S and all I can eat data plan for 15k. (2 year contract) I vouch for the fact that data in Taipei is loving awesome. I'm listening to The Bugle on it right now. While walking through the city. And possibly posting this message.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I didn't know they had another name besides dageda until this thread.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pleco is pretty cool. I just downloaded the add-on that will read Chinese for you. Because it's the demo it'll only do one character at a time, and it just gives the pronunciation, but honestly my spoken Chinese is getting to the point where that's good enough for me, I just can't read the poo poo.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Yeah tight condoms suck. And yeah, you're stuck ordering from the US.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

mad carl posted:

Console! Thinking about things like PS3s, 3DSes and Vitas.

3DS: Die and be reincarnated as someone who speaks Chinese and reads Japanese.

PS3: I'm pretty sure that the main two consoles sell in English here. I know that Xbox does, PS3 might sell a lot of Japanese poo poo though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

stfuDonny posted:

Hey Taigoons, anyone know where I can find a good western breakfast in Taipei that's not associated with a hotel? Cafe Dante is ok, but outside of their waffles it's a bit lacking...I've been craving a fried egg sandwich on sourdough but I know that's probably impossible.

Grandma Nitty's. In ShiDa. Act now before total assholes shut it down!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Taiwanese food is delicious. The tradition of sitting in open air restaurants and guzzling tai-beer and sharing plates of fried meat treats is pretty awesome.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

There is a big party tonight at an all you can drink bar.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Peigen Zhishi Dan Bing!

(Chinese burrito filled with eggs and bacon and cheese and stuff)

Edit: This is the cracker-est Chinese breakfast you can possibly buy. I love them and hate myself for it at the same time.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Trust me, the last place you'd want to be in any kind of gale is the maokong gondola.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Yep. This is going to be a whole weekend of poo poo. The other one's going to speed up just in time to join this shitlord hovering off our coast and ruinate the whole drat weekend.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

what dive bar are you going to?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Haraksha posted:

Urban Kicker (UK). It's the place my friend owns. It has a couple of dart boards, a "unique" atmosphere, and a guarantee that you'll piss at least one roach down the toilet. It's near Dunhua. If I'm coming all the way from Sanxia, you can get your rear end there. I'll be there probably around 10:30. Feel free to join us.

What's the actual address? I'd drop by and have a beer or two, but probably not stay until the wee hours.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Hey dawg we heard you liked bread so we put some pork floss and sweet mayonnaise in your bread.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Carrefour sells a decent enough kind of bread, but you could just make your own. It's really not that hard. As long as you have an oven and the ability to sit on your rear end for about an hour you can make bread.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Oh poo poo I've been to that bakery with the awesome cinnamon buns, it's loving GREAT. There's another one in a back alley as you go toward like Heping from there that has amazing gorgonzola bread.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Hey, thinking of going to the brass monkey ladies' night this thursday evening. Nothing crazy just a night of drinking in front of a seven eleven and maybe even inside of a bar full of girls!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Brass monkey is a pretty chill sports bar if you go to see a sporting event, otherwise it's all about the meat market.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I don't know how you could spend 500 a day on food and not be the fattest man on the island. That's a ton of food. That's like an all-you-can-eat plus unlimited beer meat barbecue every single day.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

dtb posted:

Looking for a good bar/lounge:
Must serve real cocktails (if the ingredients are in the name it's not a real cocktail)
Have cigars
Studded leather chairs
Ambient lighting
No one in shorts, jeans or sandals

Any suggestions?

Oh, in Taipei. I want to walk home in a drunken stooper, not pass out and wake up in the middle of getting sexually assaulted in the 'berbs

I know of a place that meets most of those requirements, but rather than serve girly drinks (i.e. cocktails without the ingredients in the name) they serve straight whisky.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Sorry, wild drinking knocked me out for a day or so. The place I was talking about is just north of the brass monkey. It's a nice little cigar lounge, they have a massive selection of fine cigars, nice atmosphere, a bunch of overstuffed armchairs. They serve various straight whiskys to go with your cigar.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Anyone want to knock back a few beers tonight? I'm gonna hit up revolver for a bit after work, or maybe just a sev somewhere.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Made it home by 2:30. Probably my earliest "couple beers after work" in a while.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

My girlfriend might be looking for a new job soon. Does anyone know of a good position for a native English speaking white person with a masters in Chinese?

Edit: Also you guys might be interested in these new changes to the labor laws that are coming down the pipes:

http://taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xitem=196805&CtNode=414

quote:

The ROC Ministry of the Interior passed draft amendments to the Regulations Governing Visiting, Residency, and Permanent Residency of Aliens Sept. 27 in a move to enhance Taiwan’s competitiveness and attract more foreigners.

“The stipulation that white-collar workers in professional fields should leave within 15 days after their employment contract has ended has been relaxed to 90 days,” the MOI said in a news release.

“To increase incentives for foreigners to invest in Taiwan, aliens who have invested in government bonds worth NT$30 million (US$1 million) for three years will be granted permanent residency,” the ministry said.

Foreigners who have legally resided in Taiwan for five consecutive years, with each trip abroad under three months, will not have to submit health certificates or criminal records when applying for permanent residency, the MOI added.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 12, 2012

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'm hoping for the next few months myself. I'm not totally clear on what cabinet approval entails, but I'm assuming it's not a long drawn out process. I qualify in December.

Edit: You haven't had to poop in a jar in forever though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Hey, if anyone knows where I can score a green man suit before Halloween, lemme know ok?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

duckfarts posted:

I believe it's "you've been working here for 5 years, no gaps" for most situations, implies you're up to date on taxes too.

The actual regulation is that you need to make about 420,000NT a year. Which is about 35k a month, or twice the minimum wage. Again, probably as part of a grand strategy of "no brown people please".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

duckfarts posted:

Isn't there a period of time you have to exceed too? Otherwise you could just get it after 1 year and that doesn't seem right. Anybody doing a white-collar job should be able to get it easy then, seeing as the required minimum salary(42ish?) for foreign professionals already exceeds that.

Yeah, there are obviously other requirements. That's the one for salary. You also need a health check. And a criminal record check from your home country. And a criminal record check from this country. They all need to arrive at the same time. Some of them are barely valid for more time than the amount of time it takes to get them sent to your place in the states, notarized, forwarded here, translated, re-notarized, painted blue, sprinkled with fairy dust and turned in. Hopefully at the exact same time that you arranged for the health certificate to be picked up, and the Taiwanese criminal record check to be ready, and the tax info showing that you have the required average amount of annual income for the previous 3 years. And GOD HELP YOU if one of those forms is delayed, because then your notarized, translated, re-notarized criminal record check is going to expire, and you'll have to start at square one while you watch the rest of your menagerie of documents slowly become invalid for your next attempt.

You also need five years of unbroken residency. At least 183 days in country per year.

So yeah, it's more than just that, but when this new stuff goes through it will be slightly easier! Which is awesome!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

eArh0x posted:

Yeah man, that'd be great! I look forward to it.

To all others, Is there anything going on for Halloween in these parts?

I'll be at warner village in Taipei, the whole area is one huge party.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Eh, I have a two year contract as well. But that's because I'm going for perm-res in a few months, so I figured it'd be easier not to have to worry about renewing.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Tonight: Come to MiCasa Halloween party. 350 all you can drink in full costume. I might not be there.

Tomorrow night: Come to Warner Vieshow area for drinking in the street in full costume and probably get laid!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

My Chinese isn't fantastic, but honestly I usually just voice-to-text my chinese.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

That might be an HTC vs Samsung thing?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and double post to ask a few "Where can I find this?" questions.

1. Hot sauce. The kind you'd find at a Mexican restaurant back in the states. Obviously you can get stuff like Tabasco here pretty easily, but other than that it seems like it's Asian-style hot sauces which are good, but not always what I'm looking for. I'd settle for pretty much anything, even something basic like Tapatio. I mention Tapatio because I've seen it at a few restaurants here and there, so there must be some place to get it. But hey, if there's a hot sauce/chili pepper fanatic shop somewhere I could go nuts at, even better.

I'm staring at an empty bottle of tapatio right now. I'm pretty sure I've gotten it at either Jason's or City Super before. My manager gave me this one cuz he had a bunch, I assume he bought them at costco. If you want something readily available, B&B is different, but not bad at all. It's more of a cooking sauce in my opinion, if you're going to make a stir-fry or something, since it benefits from being fried. It's a little heavy and oily otherwise, but still good.

A1 hot sauce is a pretty good Franks-alike. It's not quite the same but it fulfills pretty much the same role. Available at pretty much every Wellcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

thegoat posted:

Everything is 100% except you still have to live in the country for 6 months each year. This has gone to the executive yuan but hasn't passed as a bill.

YOU DO NOT NEED A HEALTH CHECK OR A POLICE REPORT FROM YOUR HOME COUNTRY FOR YOUR APRC.

I know two people who have done this since the change.

I heard this as well. I'm going to go down ASAP and see how real this is.

Edit: On an unrelated note, sushi to go just opened across the street from my place. This is awesome.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 15, 2012