Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

url posted:

I'm stuck on this bit

ma is the pinyin for the mandarin chinese word to be scolded/yelled at.

url posted:

But yeah, working and studying is a delicate balance, if you can line up a realistic schedule or get flexibility from both you're golden.
if not, it's just a tiring game of constantly clock-watching, commuting, and negotiating.

if you set your targets reasonably (i.e. low), you'll actually be able to maintain and achieve them - most people don't manage that ime.

It wasn't in Taiwan but I had p much the same experience as pandamonium the time I tried to do both. Neither work nor study got done especially well and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but some people can probably do it so that's just my 2 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This is kinda off topic but this has irrationally bothered me for a while, and as Taiwan is it's homeland maybe someone here can tell me.

Can someone explain to me who actually thinks din tai fung is anything but very overpriced while totally acceptable xiaolongbao? is it just one of those places that's expensive and trendy and that status is what they're actually selling?

I've ended up at din tai fung in 4 different countries a bunch of times for various dinners and everyone's always really "meh" about it. I've only ever heard good things about it online and in top 10 Chinese restaurants in the whole world lists.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I can't speak for healthiness/etc but imo almost without exception the best baozi always come from streetside stalls or holes in the wall.

The one exception I can think of is that xiao yang sheng Jian in Shanghai is both a major chain and super good. They're the one thing I miss from Shanghai.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Oyster omelette sounds amazing; I loving love oysters. And eggs. I've had stinky tofu before in the U.S., and liked it, so I will definitely try it there. Any other particular dishes anyone would recommend? Anything uniquely Taiwanese?

Also, should I order up a transit pass of some sort before I get there for the trains (likely to just be taking day trips on the inter-city trains, and using public transit inside Taipei), or can that wait until I get there?

Stinky tofu in Taipei is on another level. Nowhere in the mainland, HK, or even elsewhere in Taiwan did I find it as actually rancid and bad smelling as I did in Taipei's night markets.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

thegoat posted:

Foreigners in Kaohsiung(Taiwan?) are mostly really cheap. They don't enjoy spending 260NT for a delicious beer and would rather spend 169NT for a six pack of BAR and drink it outside.

Wow, beer in Taiwan is expensive.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

duckfarts posted:

for fancy beer maybe

japanese, belgian, american, etc... beers are like 40-50 rmb (180-220 NTD) max even at expensive-er expat places and can be had for like 30~ at more normal places. You can find 60+rmb beers but you have to be really trying/going to places made to gouge people with especially nice expat benefits. Even stuff like hitachino maxes out at ~45-50rmb at most bars (if they have it).

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I don't think there's an online version. It's like 4 things (Name, passport number, why you're coming, etc...) and takes 30 seconds to fill out. You hand it to the immigration person when you come through immigration and they put a little paper in your passport saying when you gotta get out.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I was curious about it, too, since I was unaware of an online version.

It seems that since mid-2015 you actually can file it online to save yourself some time before traveling. Page to file it online is here. It says printing it out is not necessary so I suppose they just pull it up on the computer when you're going through passport control.

Really seems unnecessary to do beforehand, though. Enjoy the 30 seconds of your flight time consumed by filling it out on the little fold out tray, I say.

Haha somehow that seems more troublesome than just doing it on the plane, but it saves paper so that's good I guess.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

You could also ask your friend how formal/not formal it is?? That especially changes a lot just based on who is getting married.

I can tell you from my experience going to Chinese/Taiwanese/HK friends' weddings, most people who attend but aren't getting married or in the wedding party wear like a nice shirt at best, but sometimes they want everyone to dress up more? The standard is a lot less formal than in Europe or North America.

Also you didn't mention it at all, but hongbao giving is almost mandatory in these weddings. Maybe cuz you're a foreigner you can skip it??? These are red envelopes with money inside, normally some denomination with a lot of 8's or at least no 4's is the general amount. When I went to a Taiwanese friend's wedding (in the mainland tho) we got wedding cookies(喜饼)when handing over hong baos which was a fun thing.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

drat thought it posted this but can someone please invite me to Line?

And I'm in Taipei for the weekend back Monday. Anyone up for a bite Sunday?

I heard about this Taiwanese place called Ding Tai Fung that's supposed to be good.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I wish employment opportunities were better in Taiwan, I'd love to move back.

I do know a a non-zero number of like lawyers and programmers who live in Taipei or Gaoxiong and work remotely for mainland Chinese firms, which seems like a good deal. I have no idea how their visa/tax situation works out, though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

I had the opposite experience, I was just in Shanghai for a day or so but it seemed like a garbage filled urban wasteland compared to Taipei's clean streets and abundant greenery.

Really? What part of Shanghai were you in? Shanghai's air is god awful and Taipei is for sure nicer in a lot of ways but it deffo had way more garbage and litter than Shanghai or other big mainland cities every time I've been there. That's not really a knock to Taipei cuz most cities in Europe and North America are the same, it's the army of street cleaners the CCP employs to keep unemployment down among older people that does a really good job of keeping streets clean in cities.

Rural China, tho, has some real nightmares when it comes to this.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'm gonna resurrect this thread as I think it's the best place to ask.

I recently got tix back to the USA and the best option time/cost wise was EVA by a pretty fair margin. Does anyone know how their international service is? Am I in for a bad time or an OK time in the 12~ hours or so to the US I'll be on the plane for.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

thegoat posted:

The better question is what airlines are used to? If you usually fly American carriers you'll be fine. If you only travel Cathay you'll be disappointed but still fine.

Either way you're fine.

To the US I usually fly on Hainan or Cathay, but I'm going to the west coast this time and they were cheaper and tbh I'd never really heard of them before. I don't expect ANA/Korea/Cathay, I just don't want really bad.

It was significantly cheaper and the only downside was a (short) transfer in Taipei instead of direct which didn't bother me too much given it was a lot cheaper and the only real difference is I need to wake up a little earlier to take the <2 hour flight to Taipei.

isndl posted:

EVA practically spoils you compared to US airlines, you'll be fine.

lol at people who hate themselves enough to fly US airlines to Asia.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 16, 2018

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

I think China Airlines is the one I took from HK or Macau that had seats only big enough for Chinese people.

I did a little more research and China Airlines was ranked 60 out of 60 on some Asian flight safety and satisfaction report. It's a real shame to be under every mainland Chinese Airline. EVA was like 5 or 6 after what you'd expect in Korea/Singapore/ANA/Cathay/etc.

I will say EVA's website really followed the old Taiwanese ethos of looking like it was from 1998 and almost broke on like 3 different occasions. The payment system was so weird and arcane I first thought I'd be duped into some elaborate scam which seemed extra weird as I went there directly from Google Flights.

It also got my US credit card frozen after (thankfully) successfully working for the transaction itself, when less than a week ago I told them I'd be making large payments from Asia with it. A weird number of popups for VISA international and Alipay (??? maybe cuz I was using EVA Air (Shanghai)?) came up which made me worried, but then a billion confirmations came in and my flights show up on the EVA site so I guess it worked.

What's extra weird is Alipay popped up but it forced me to use a credit card when, as a China-liver, I would've happily just used Alipay! I guess cuz I was doing it in their English site and they assume no English-speaker would use Alipay??

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 16, 2018

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Non mainland ID holders can't/have trouble with alipay :smith:

For international yeah, but I was using the English version of their... Chinese site I guess? I use Alipay to buy tickets normally from Feizhu or Ctrip here and it works fine. The price was also quoted in CNY and I had intended to use CNY until it just straight up only had a credit card option at the payment screen.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

duckfarts posted:

So a friend’s dad worked as one of their head mechanics or something, and hearing some stories including one with the words “in-flight repairs” raised like every red flag ever.

http://www.jacdec.de/airline-safety-ranking-2017/

Here's the list by the way lol

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Random Question: Does anyone know if they sell Kavlan (and maybe Japanese whiskey as well) at the Taipei airport in duty free?

I have a transfer there on my way to the States next month.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

They are selling Kavalan in Costco in America, now (at least in the Seattle area).

Yeah but if it's anything like other Asian whiskeys it'll be 3-4x the price there? And Kavalan ain't usually very cheap to begin with.

Even buying Japanese whiskey on Taobao here in China is at least 1/2 the price of buying it in the States.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

It was around $100-$120 a bottle, in an area that has some of the most expensive alcohol in the U.S. (like, Hawaii is cheaper). That seemed comparable to what I remembered paying at the distillery.

I actually found the website of a Taipei airport duty free shop in my searching, and it's like 1700-2200NTD for variations of their single malt, and of course they have some different ones which go up to the moon in price, but does seem a great deal cheaper than the US would be on the low end.

I mean I have nothing else to do at the airport during my transfer so might as well??????

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Related to that stuff, I noticed all the pictures I took in Taiwan the other week were automatically categorized in my iphone as in “台灣省” which was weird on a lot of levels cuz:

1. Despite living in China, it is an iPhone I bought in the USA
2. My phone is only ever in English or simplified Chinese, but the label is in traditional??????

Apparently some newer Samsung phones do a similar thing (All Chinese-made phones obviously do it), so it's just the hardware side setting this crap up based on your SIM card operator. The taiwan flag emoji being a huge "??" symbol instead has been around for a while, but this one seems pretty new.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

lmao did it say actually say "Taiwan, Province of China" in English?

On my phone it might say 四川省 in Chinese, but in English it'll just say "Sichuan" or like "Shanghai" so that's some next level poo poo if it's specifically for that one

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hey since china stopped giving out tourist visas to chinese people taiwan is cheap as hell for this year's golden week so I am probably gonna pop over.

i havent been to taiwan since i lived in taipei as a student in 2008 to i will mostly just be wandering around and eating food. is going down to tainan/gaoxiong worth it if i've never been?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Kaohsiung was votes like 5th most up and coming tourist city in Asia by someone somewhere man you can’t miss it

today i learned kaohsiung is gaoxiong lmao what romanization system is that

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Purple Prince posted:

Trying not to spend too much time hanging with foreigners as I want to learn Mandarin as quickly as possible

wish i had a nickel every time this was posted on these boards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

tbf people in China also used it early on, but I never really saw it used anywhere official? Deffo a lot of zhihu and wechat stuff about it early on, and anti-hubei people weirdness continued through the year.