Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senbe1
May 16, 2005
Oh mon Dieu !

GoutPatrol posted:

More HESS stuff

I have visited several HESS branches in Taipei for next semester for my 4 y.o (speaks chinese but no english so international kindys are ruled out, no ARC yet so no public schools I understood) and so far the spectrum is quite large in terms of school size, fees and quality of facilities.

Is the hit and miss situation with HESS also the case on the kids' side? Any branch I should avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senbe1
May 16, 2005
Oh mon Dieu !

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just ask yourself, do you want edutourists spending large amounts of time with your children, possibly hungover and definitely not giving a poo poo?

I mean this is not 100% the case in all language schools and kindys. But I've worked in enough places, met enough 'teachers", and seen enough of the industry that I would be very, very selective about where I sent my kid.

I totally understand the concern as I met many of these 'teachers' during my stay in worst China. I was just (naively?) hoping the bar would be way higher in Taipei.

As the initial choice is limited (no public, no international schools), where would you send a 4 y.o. kid for bilingual (english/chinese) education in Taipei?

senbe1
May 16, 2005
Oh mon Dieu !

Pirate Radar posted:

Whereabouts in the city are you, anyway?

I will be located in either Neihu or Dazhi districts (still hunting for apartment near the office in Neihu hi tech park).

senbe1
May 16, 2005
Oh mon Dieu !

Atlas Hugged posted:

Duckfarts can weigh in later I think, but he's had good luck with a Happy Marion.

Basically, I'd ask other parents you trust with kids in a cram school. Then visit the specific school and see if you can chat with the director/lead teacher. Figure out how long the teachers have been there. The longer the teachers have been there, the better.

Thanks for the great input. I'll definitely add the "how long have you been teaching here" question to our list.

senbe1
May 16, 2005
Oh mon Dieu !

duckfarts posted:

Happy Marian stuff

Wow, thanks for the extensive write up. I have seen before some info regarding Happy Marian, but to be frank I was a bit put off by the lovely fake Super Mario logo. Now I will definitely check out the branch near Wende MRT (please just tell me it is not the one with the crazy lady)

And definitely a great list of questions. I am looking too for the low stress environment.

CovfefeCatCafe posted:

Back to Hess stuff

Xinhu branch topped the list of Hesses I visited, so your message kinda confirms my first impression. Do you know if they provide any school bus service (as it is quite far from any MRT station)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senbe1
May 16, 2005
Oh mon Dieu !
I don't have plat, how to join?