Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Hello everyone. I'm considering a teaching job in Hsinchu and they're telling me that I will need to get my bachelor's degree notarized by the Taiwanese embassy before arriving in the country. I can't find any solid information about this on the official Taiwan visa website, so I'm wondering if it's just a regulation for that specific company. Or, if it is common, does anyone have any experience? Does anyone know if a copy of the degree will work, or does it have to be the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks fellas. That sounds pretty positive. I also have no idea where my original diploma is.

USDA Choice posted:

Are they trying to get you a resident visa immediately (as opposed to fly in and do the paperwork here)?

Yep. This school looks very professional and I've already had a chat with a couple people from there. They seem to know how to get visa stuff sorted out easily enough, but it seemed like a good idea to ask the thread just to be safe. I used to live on the mainland so I'm used to massive bureaucratic incompetence.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hello again Taiwan goons. I'm trying to get the gently caress out of China but I still want to study Chinese and live in a Chinese environment, so I figured Taiwan would be the place to go. A couple weeks ago I had a teaching job lined up but they decided to stop all contact for some reason, so now I'm in limbo. Since then I've sent out nearly 100 resumes, applications, and inquiries to different schools but very few have even responded at all. I have a TEFL and an MA in linguistics and a few years teaching experience, so I thought it would be easy to find somewhere. Is there anything I could do to increase my chances?

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

Are you looking for more pay and better conditions than just basic entry level liberal arts B.A.?

Not particularly, although I have avoided applying at HESS. They would probably get me a job in no time, but they don't seem any better than similar companies on the mainland. That's the really annoying thing though, that I'm willing to take a basic entry-level job and still can't get any bites.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hi. I just moved here to work in Tainan's most notoriously disorganized buxiban and it's going pretty badly. Mostly because of stupid little things and not having a scooter. Also a tip for people interested in coming here: bring more money than you think you will need.

Does anyone know anything cool to do in Tainan? I've already been to Hua Yuan night market and some of the bars.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I did thoroughly enjoy the sausage I had at the sausage museum gift shop. Then again, I am from the midwest.

The first time you mentioned it I thought "sausage museum" was a euphemism. Well now I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ravendas posted:

What could that possibly be a euphemism for? :D Party full of old dudes or what?

The foreign teachers' desk area in any given buxiban. A bunch of dried-up old dicks who are more or less just there for show.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm putting together an introductory game of Dungeons and Dragons 4e for some friends here in Tainan. If anyone around the area wants to join, that would be cool. Details aren't set in stone yet but so far we only have three players, and the more the merrier.

Any other cool dudes wasting their lives down here are more than welcome to join. It is as much an excuse to get drunk and ruminate on how goblins and hobgoblins are different as it is a serious game.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ravendas posted:

Good luck with that. Remember that if you need more books, just take a pdf to a print shop and you can get it printed (black and white) and soft bound for like 1nt/double sided page. I ran 4e a few years ago, then got annoyed with the system and changed my group over to 2e. Ran that for a few years, ending it a few months back because I'm leaving Taiwan finally.

Yeah I was just going to print off character sheets and anything necessary at 7-11. Otherwise I'm just using the rules compendium on an ipad and a notebook with campaign notes. Still working on making the maps out of whatever I can scrounge up.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

http://roll20.net/

Check this out. It's an online implementation of DnD, it lets you make virtual maps and tokens for all of your characters and monsters and run the tabletop portion of the session over a net connection if you have to. Super useful if someone's going to be absent for a game but still wants to play remotely. Takes a bit of time to set up, but is totally awesome once you get going.

Yeah this is a really solid alternative to the real deal. It really sucks that there was never a 4e pc game. Even if it were just like this, but cleaner and more cinematic, it could have been great.

Ravendas posted:

I use this website to make grid paper: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

I use one size for dungeons and such, and another size for world/area map types where I need precise dimensions for zooming in. Then I sleeve them and slide them in a binder for easy lookup.

Just make the pdf's and go print them at a copy shop.

These are good ideas, thanks much.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

You may already know it, but a print shop might be a better choice than 7-11 for some things. Okay, you'd be splitting hairs over NT$1 a page versus NT$2, but as Ravendas mentioned, those print shops can bind stuff as well. I always preferred it much more to printing off stuff at 7-11. If you're near NCKU in Tainan, basically all of Shengli Rd. (near the Dasyue Rd. intersection) is littered with these print shops.

I live on that intersection :yum:

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
At this point Hanyu Pinyin is the best choice if only because that's what the billion people on the mainland use. Is Zhuyin really that useful? Pinyin treats Roman characters phonetically, so the two systems seem basically equally valid. Pinyin definitely has broader international appeal, though. Regardless, they really ought to make something standardized and get rid of bullshit like "Kaohsiung".

I'm moving to New Taipei next week. Does anyone know anything about finding good apartments near Xindian/新店? Also, I have a paperless scooter down in Tainan. Can I have it shipped north without the title?

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I just left my soul-destroying buxiban job and got a new job in a swanky private school in New Taipei. It all sounded awesome until my last day of training today. That's when a bunch of teachers there revealed that our grades are bullshit and the lowest score you can give is 90. Otherwise the parents will call the head office to ask why the worthless idiot lowborn foreigner gave their perfect angel anything less than the A+ they clearly deserve. The protocols for marking tests are such that, unless nearly all of the answers were left completely blank, the grade mathematically can't drop below 70 or so. I'm not really sure how to react to this.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well that's reassuring then. I'll just roll with it and enjoy the paycheck.

Atlas Hugged posted:

This isn't by chance in Tucheng along the expressway is it?

Nope. It's quite a bit east of there.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I only ask because I drive by that place occasionally and saw a viral thing on Facebook about what an awful place it was to work in general. If your only complaint is that the grades are hilariously arbitrary, then just enjoy the ride.

I'm more worried about getting summoned into the head office because a student only got a 90 and the parents are outraged. I've been told by multiple teachers to expect and accept this. When I responded to one teacher that this whole setup seems dumb for an expensive private school, she told me to just sweep my logic under the rug for now.

I think it's part Taiwan thing, part Rich People thing. If loaded parents want to pay me a lot of money to give meaninglessly high grades, I'm ok with it.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

This reminds me of the white suburban mom comment by the US education secretary or whatever that was; it's pretty universal that idiot parents don't want to be told their kid doesn't get it.

Yeah I overlooked the most influential aspect: Parent Thing.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I'm interested, but since I just started a new job in Xinbei, money is tight. If no one takes you up on the offer within the next couple weeks, I'd like to check it out.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I guess we have a Krispey Kream now? Taiwan's gradual transformation of its citizens from stereotypical skinny Asians to fat gently caress Americans is almost complete!

Apparently you have to queue up for hours to get some? Some natives I've talked to are interested but it seems like overkill for something you can buy in a gas station back in the states.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Once one person starts burgin' it spreads like wildfire. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of anywhere in Taipei that serves apple cider? It's October and I'm craving it. A shop near me sells Somersby but that doesn't hit the spot.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Owning a car here would be super great most of the time, but dealing with parking alone nearly invalidates every benefit it would bring. What did you buy?

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's all because of that drat dance.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Edit: never mind

Annie Chickenstalker fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 16, 2020

Adbot