Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ah, to be young and fresh enough in Taiwan to still be mesmerized at the number of convenience stores :allears:

Pretty sure 7-11 sells Pepsi, most convenience stores do, but it's just normal pepsi, no diet/light/whatever variants. Good luck finding a Dr. Pepper here, it can occasionally be found in a can if you're at a place catering especially to foreigners, but they have to get it specially imported so you get to pay specially raised prices for it.

Watson's is a drugstore, they do sell impulse buy things like candies and some drinks but you'd be better off going to a convenience store for that.

All the ones I've popped into haven't had it, though they're mostly small shops, only carrying Coke and sasparilla. Haven't seen a Pepsi yet. Not that I'm desperate for one, just something I've noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Alright, I'm going to hit Tong Hua tonight, will probably get down there around 7~8. Meant to post earlier but the internet here at the hotel is lovely. Made the rounds earlier today at the Botanical Gardens, then the CKS Memorial Hall, then the 228 Peace Park. Got a picture of the Ministry of Defense, but forgot to swing by and take a picture of the Presidential Office. Lots of photographers at the Gardens and Peace Park. I need to get a proper camera eventually, the color on most of my photos come across kinda washed out, and I'm trying to be careful not to shoot into the sun, or around bright reflections.

Also, first time I've ever seen a "selfie" stick, if that's what it's called. Saw lots of people with them at the CKS Memorial Hall taking photos of themselves in front of things. Like, you can't just take a photo of something, you have to take a photo of yourself in front of that thing. Ergo, the stick; looks like someone else took the photo, no chance of that someone running off with your phone.

quadrophrenic posted:

Oh man, just wait until you are here long enough to start going crazy and ranking convenience stores

it's called FamilyMart, and it has worse booze but better food, whereas OKmart has the best coffee

I think OKmart was the one I was trying to think of. But I have now located the nearest 7-Eleven, FamilyMart, and Watsons. I think the nearest OKmart that I'm aware of is too far away to be as convenient as the other three.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Tomorrow is looking to be a down day for me. Back is still aching from yesterday, but using my good shoes certainly helped. May be able to do something in the evening so I can annoy my soon-to-be roommate by waking him up as I come in the door.

I actually did not notice the Hess branch there on the corner of Tonghua the first time I walked past.

And, regarding earlier discussion (and proof I was actually there):

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

poetrywhore posted:

I got a soft spot for the Hi Marts. they're just so darn *trashy*.

I judge selfie sticks. I judge so hard.

Actually the Hi Life marts were the ones I was thinking of. They're like holes-in-the-wall to stores that already are holes-in-the-wall. They remind me of those single-pump gas stations where the attendant building is only big enough for five people, yet half the walls are plastered with cigarettes, and they generally carry cheep booze.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hey, I'm planning to hit Taipei 101 tomorrow and go up on the observation deck, get some photos for my folks. Anyone got the afternoon free want to meet up?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Some important questions I've forgot to ask, considering at the end of this week I will be moving to where ever I'm stationed. I got an international driver's license before I left, but as I don't already have a motorcycle endorsement I didn't get it approved for scooters/motorcycles. How do I go about getting a permit? Also, what kind of registration and plate fees are there? How much different are things if I wanted to get a proper motorcycle instead of a scooter?

I'm probably going to try to source a bicycle first if I'm not too far away from the school (I'm a goon, need the workout), but I'd like to get a motorcycle to take up into the mountains and to get around once I get the money together for all that.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I need to go back up to Shilin before I leave, on of the other NSTs in my group found that toilet themed restaurant there.

Anyways, it's officially official, JiaYi/Chiayi is my branch. Waiting for the phone call. About a dozen NSTs in my group, only half are actually going to be in Taipei! Got a headache, trying to cure it with Excedrin, Coke, and Pringles.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Horatius Bonar posted:

Anyone planning to go to the Hong Kong solidarity protest thing tomorrow at CKS Memorial Hall? It's from 6-8 pm. I've got work before and very important drinking plans later, but if anyone wants to go, I'll be by my lonesome and meeting up with a goon would be cool.

https://www.facebook.com/events/719822681432856/

I'll see if I can get down there, but you know, training and all that.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Horatius Bonar posted:

I don't use Line or anything, text or call me at 0981782337 if you plan to be at CKS today around 6-8.

Doing demos tomorrow, so I have to spend tonight planning my first lesson! Would go, but want to get this right, please post pictures.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I am now in Chiayi. Found a nice apartment that overlooks the city. No internet, though. Had a burger from a nearby local place last night. possibly the most American thing I've had since coming here. Need to find a reliable WiFi spot that won't mind me just chilling and playing with my tablet until I get my ARC and can get it on my own. Until then, tethering!

Hit Carrefour today, was actually slightly impressed, was expecting worse.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Does FamilyMart and 7-Eleven not take credit cards period, or only certain kinds? Tried to use mine last night and both stores refused based on that it is a 'swipe' card. My card has a RFID or some other kind of chip and the issuer claims it should work here in Taiwan. I was able to use it at the hotel, and to get my phone. Curious what the limitation is so I can look into if my card has a work around.

Oh, and I had cash on me, don't want to be a dick to the only stores within walking distance.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

duckfarts posted:

Don't think they take cards normally, it's usually cash only(I remember a Family Mart nearby rejecting a lot of mainland tourists' credit cards because they didn't take them in general). If they do take cards, some places may take RFID stuff like VISA's PayWave thing, but most need an IC chip; they probably called yours a "swipe" card because I'm betting you don't have an IC chip on yours.

Perhaps this FamilyMart is the same way. My card does have a chip, they call it 'EMV' but claim it can be used anywhere that uses a chip-based system. Looks slightly different than the one in your post. This is my card https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/detail.do?ID=citi-thankyou-premier-credit-card&category=travel-reward-credit-cards Mine is a MC not a Visa as in that example.

Maybe I will try the 7-Eleven again first. Will make life a little easier.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 6, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

duckfarts posted:

Well, that looks about right, so you could try using it at a Cosmed, Watson's, or Carrefour or whatever place definitely takes cards in general, and you'd find out whether it works or if it's a bank agreement thing. In general though, you should keep in mind that Taiwan is definitely more of a cash-based society than a card one, and finding an ATM that works with your card will probably help out much more than a store that takes your card.

e: works with your bank card rather, hope you're not trying to run everything on credit

No, definitely not. My bank ATM card is a Plus card, so far have not found an ATM that won't take it. Credit card is my folks way of helping with stuff, I forgot to try it at Carrefour yesterday. The cash based society is certainly hitting home much harder now that I am in Chiayi. Just means I will have to be more careful until I get paid.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

on the left posted:

Ain't nobody got time for that. Just use cash for day-to-day expenses.

Doesn't matter they only take EasyCard, and I gave mine to another teacher in Taipei because I didn't think I'd need it if I wasn't riding the MRT.

Otherwise, got a loaner scooter. My baptism into the two wheeled world has begun.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

If I have an International Driver's Permit from AAA, do I need anything else to be able to legally drive in Taiwan? What about for getting a scooter if my license covers cars only? I saw a website saying I need to also get the permit verified at a TECO (Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office) branch but I'm not sure if this is the case and I'd rather not go all the way to Chicago just to get it verified.

To add to what duckfarts said, the IDL is only valid in Taiwan for thirty days after entry. You can get a temporary card on a landing visa, but you need your ARC for a more permanent one. When you get here, HESS will have you run out and get ten passport photos from a shop that is on the way from the hotel, that shop normally will produce twelve, so save one or two or order more for the application. (Don't try to jump the gun and buy those photos in the states, the dimension requirements are different than what AAA and what not will produce).

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Did my good deed for the night. Almost ran over a handbag on my way home, so I stop to move it out of the way of traffic (in a poorly lit area right where scooters drive). Thankfully, the owner of the garage where I stopped in front of is pulling the shutters, so I get his attention with a Scott Manley-esque "Hullo!" Thankfully "mei guo" is one word that has sunk into my head, so his son comes out and we were able to converse with broken English, worse Chinese, and the Hanping app. Glad I paid for the full app. So, owner is taking the bag to the police, hopefully to find the owner. Hopefully a Taiwanese woman will be reunited with her purse and I have notched the karmic balance away from Americans being rude drunks. At least until the next gang of expats decide to go to the 7-Eleven pub this weekend.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Horatius Bonar posted:

I ran into a weird scam today. I was at a street corner having a smoke when this guy in a big black SUV pulls up next to me with his window down. He says, in English, "Do you speak Spanish?"
In Spanish I said "a little, yes"
Then he's like, "ok English is best. I am from Italia, my friend he is manager at SOGO and I have many Italian fashions. Today I go to Roma go to airport, but I have three fashions I cannot bring, because of the taxes. So, I give them to you, free, understand? I leave now for the airport, and you just pay for this rental car! Ok?"
I laughed and said no, then went back to my smoke and he drove off, but what the hell.

I had watched 3 episodes of Locked Up Abroad that morning so I really wasn't inclined to say yes, it was three hours of why you should never trust a Spanish speaking dude who wants you to go to the airport.

Last thing I want to do in Taiwan is get thrown into a Mexican prison.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I'm leaving for Taiwan in a week! Can't wait to finally be in Taipei. :)

[e]: Question for content: can you get good jerky reliably in Taiwan? I'm serious. If you can't, that's probably going to be one of my few food cravings...

I guess Hsin Tung Yang is the main jerky provider in Taiwan. Problem solved.

Awesome. Definitely check out the palace museum when you can

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Another question: how do you typically get your laundry cleaned in Taiwan?

I am not expecting the "tao fang" or other apartments to come with washing machines or dryers, so should I expect to take my clothes to a laundromat?

[e]: Barchat - Coming from the Midwest (not Chicago), I don't think I'll be disappointed when it comes to the bar scene! It's pretty anemic from where I'm from anyways, so anything is an improvement.

You're coming in with Hess, First Hotel has laundry service, but there is also a laundromat nearby. Head west, go under the overpass and head south along the frontage street. You should pass the Just Sleep and another inn I think called Moon Inn. Also a German-themed pub. Once in an apartment, I suppose just check around see if the building has their own laundromat or ask the doorman.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Thanks for the advice. :)

How has your experience with Taiwan and Hess been like so far? And where did you get assigned for teaching?

I'm in Chiayi with House Louse. You're probably going to get the shortened training like I did. My branch higher ups have been awesome in helping me settle in. I know one person in my group who is having a less stellar time settling in. Just be prepared for either. If you go into an apartment you think you like and your HNST and branch manager are both saying no, trust them.

Biggest thing is just having something to do during the downtime. And try to get out, but don't feel bad if you're not seeing something everyday. You've got a year, I wore myself out trying to do everything my first week. I'm probably going to head up to Taipei this or next weekend. If you're in, maybe I can show you around a bit.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

My things are packed and ready to leave early tomorrow morning for my flight to Taiwan. It's gonna be 14 hours alone just getting over to Japan.

It didn't really sink in until this week just how big of a shift this is. But, I know it's going to be for the best and will be a fresh start on a new life for me. I'll be getting in to Taoyuan just past midnight on Monday local time, looking forward to seeing you all. :)

Enjoy your flight. My trip was 48 hours or so total and I didn't sleep a moment. Helped me to kick the jet lag, but I wouldn't recommend it (part of the reason was Asiana turning off the AC and burning up hot for most of a 14 hour flight. Got to chew the fat with a Vietnamese woman old enough to be my grandma, and that was cool. I was planning on coming up to Taipei tomorrow, but if you want I can brave the cold nights a bit longer to bum around next Sunday. Meanwhile, don't be afraid to get out and walk around and explore.

Have fun, welcome to Taiwan (soon).

E: sorry, something just came up, I won't be able to come to Taipei next Sunday. Still, have fun, explore the city, and :getout:

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 8, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GoutPatrol posted:

If I ever got to vote in Taiwan I would only against the people who have the loudest truck ads.

There are like three campaign centers in my neighborhood. I don't get one truck, I get three.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Are those what the posters/trucks with a guy on a cloudy sky background and a number about? Elections? I thought they were ads for a weather channel. :confused:

Yup, propaganda trucks. They also have propaganda scooters, usually driven by old or handicapped people. Last week a fleet of them rolled through my neighborhood blaring the same person's ad.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Finally decided to pay the $800 to have 30 days of internet by tethering my computer through my phone. Feels good.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

PaybackJack posted:

How did you do this? My contract is coming up and my ex of 4 years ago was the one who got me on that plan; not sure I'm going to be here for another year, let alone two for a contract. If there is a month by month service that would be great.

I've got a pre-paid set up with FarEasTone, and they sell internet service by volume (1, 2, 5, etc Gigs) and by day (1, 3, 5, and 30 days). The salespeople usually try to push the by day so it should be easy to get. 30 days is $800. Another teacher at my branch has a similar service with his provider (I think he uses MyPhone). You have to buy the cards to 'refill' your balance, then get the internet, which means you're actually going to put $1000 down to buy the $800 service.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Is there an English guide to signing up on tw.taobao.com? My laptop desperately needs it's RAM upgraded, but it's a 5 year old Compaq that's a special snowflake. The shops here that I know about don't carry what I need (DDR3 1333 PC10600), but I see that taobao carries some for relatively cheap.

I've been told that PC10666 is backwards compatible with PC10600, but I tried that and it didn't work. All the places here carry PC10666, but not 10600.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

caberham posted:

If it's 5 years old you are better off buying a new computer

Yeah, I know. If I could get one right now, I would. For now, I want to keep this thing on life support until I can afford a new computer.

e: Also need to stop using IE and start using Chrome more. IE just leaks memory.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 28, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hey, I saw a brochure at the local post office for a 2015 Year of the Goat 1oz. silver proof. Anyone know anything about these, like how much they cost/how many times the proof is struck, etc.? I'm thinking if it's reasonably priced, maybe picking up one for myself, and maybe one or two for gifts.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
TheRamblingSoul, where did you end up? Haven't heard from you in a month. I'm just curious if I may have met you at the 1 month training this week and not known it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Radiohead71 posted:

Delta flies from JFK to Tokyo NRT and then on to TPE. I flew NRT-JFK a few months ago and it was a great flight. It was on a 747-400 which is an old but very nice plane. Delta now uses the 777-200LR from JFK-NRT. I didn't care for the business class seating layout in the 77L compared to the 744. I personally love Delta, so I don't understand all of the angst. I flew 50k miles with them last year and they were all great flights.

Maybe he got stuck in a Mad Dog all the way there :v:

Seriously, you don't get the true Delta experience unless half your flight time is in the back of one. Though, I've heard they've been updated the '88s, and I thought someone said they're retiring the older DC-9s for some Airbus of one flavor or another.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm trying to get cable internet at my apartment. When I went to the place, I wanted 100/40. They told me the fastest they could offer was 60/20. Guys come out today to install it, and lo and behold, the wiring here is even older. Apparently, the fastest my apartment can handle is 20/5, and they have to come back out on another day to install it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

hitension posted:

Or you could just drink beers inside 7-11 for the exchange student/ESL teacher experience

Please don't go to the 7-11 pub. Buy your beers there, but don't drink them there.

Actually, a couple of Taiwanese guys use my neighborhood Family Mart as a pub. My coworker lives in an apartment overlooking it, and hates their rambling on into odd hours of the night.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hey, so how about that earthquake #003? For once something a bit more than just a tremor here in Chiayi.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TetsuoTW posted:

When was that? 1 and 2 were way bigger up here, apparently.

Yesterday, about 12:30ish. A 5.4 centered near Hualien County.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Probably a strange question, but, I saw a stall at the local day market/fish market selling tons of huge luffa/loofahs. My mom has always wanted a loofah sponge, so I was wondering, is there any sort of tariff or bar on shipping loofahs (that have already been processed to be used as sponges) back to the states?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Ummm...holy poo poo guys. :stare:

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2015/02/04/428185/Nine-killed.htm

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Shadowhand00 posted:

What's the weather like in Taiwan right now? I'm visiting tomorrow and I can't tell if I should be bringing a coat or not.

A light jacket should be fine. Unless you think 20*C is cold.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Thesaurus posted:

Haha, she's blue eyed and blonde all right.

Thanks for the tips, folks. I think the main question at this point will be the pay/savings ratio for different kids of jobs. My wife may not be working the whole time, or it may just be part time. It turns out that when you have a human being you're responsible for, one needs to think about saving more than just beer money.

Is it a good idea to go with something like Hess for your first year while you find your footing, or with our backgrounds would we be better served just showing up and hunting around for something more remunerative?

Unless both you and your wife were working (or if you didn't have a kid already), I would probably avoid Hess. They start at NT$580/hr, guaranteed 20 hours a week, but no guarantees of more hours. At my branch I'm putting in 22 hours a week, which is fine for me, but on average that works out to about NT$50,000 a month gross. Your first six months pay will be taxed at 18%, so you're looking at about NT$41,000 net, or just shy of US$1,400 a month. If you think you can live on that (shopping smart can make your money go far), then it can be an okay gig.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Went to Sun Moon Lake this weekend. Very busy, lots of tourists, I'm a bit sore from all the walking and biking. But, had fun. Originally wanted to go to Hualien, but apparently the bus from Taichung to Hualien doesn't run in that direction during Chinese New Year, or something silly like that, and a friend's friend didn't want to have to go back up to Taipei to round the island down to Hualien. Kinda makes me want a car a bit more, and I'm seriously considering saving up for one, especially if I'm going to be here for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Yeah, rent outside the city isn't bad, but there's sometimes other interesting quirks. I'm in Chiayi and this is kinda the spread:
I live in a studio with bedroom area/living area/kitchen area, small bathroom, sun room/deck that was remodeled before I moved in, paying NT$7,500/mo + doorman fees once every three months; which is high for this area. Unfortunately the fastest internet I can get is 20M down/5M up.
A coworker lives in a taofang and is paying $5,500/mo; and I think the other living in a taofang is paying about $6,500.
My boss just moved into a 3-bedrom, 2-bath, kitchent, three seperate balconies, large tower complex located just inside the city proper, and is paying $12,500/mo, I believe.

I have friends in Taipei who are paying $14,000 for a taofang of similar size to the one my coworker is paying $6,500 for.

Basically, Taipei City is expensive compared to other places, but if you're willing to look you can get a great deal.

Also, I don't live next to a 7-Eleven, I live next to a school and a Turkish restaurant.