Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

After what just happened, I wish the thread had been titled "Mass Effect 3: Blue Oyster Cult Lied and Emily Wong died"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Whipped this up in her memory.

Goodbye Emily. :(

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ugh. Welp, it seems the A-12 Raider is indeed not available for 360. gently caress. Thanks for nothing Origin.

I heard you could get a swanky jacket for having played the demo but saw no hints as to how to unlock it. Any ideas?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Holy poo poo. Kaidan has Reave!?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Aw man. 32 Vanguard an hour into the game. I am rocket powered death. I don't think Liara and Kaidan have gotten off a shot yet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Smelly posted:

Good, I was getting upset. :(

What's the point of the decay (or even the value itself) if you can still get the ending without it?

I guess it just helps?

Yes, that is the point. It gives you room for error or can get you to the point of the best ending faster.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Starting with my imported Vanguard at level 32 on Mars I dropped everything but my shotgun and basically didn't need it for any of the fire fights. If something is too hot to charge (Ha!) you can pull people towards you and Liara can blow them up with Warp, thinning the herd or creating an opening to get to their back lines for a Nova. And I only play Insanity, for the record.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

kanonvandekempen posted:

Are the DLC guns that you get for preordering on origin supposed to show up in the extra content screen? I can only see from Ashes.

Also what the hell, I had the game downloading overnight and I wake up to find it at 25% downloading at 90kb/sec. Steam usually gets 1mb/sec or higher, what a disappointment, now I have to wait another day.

I thought they'd be there too, but they're not. You have to go to the Normandy in game and either visit the cabin or the armory. Alternately, you can find your DLC guns on Mars if you pick up a gun and choose Change Loadout and cycle your options.

Out of curiousity, does it say anywhere in game if weapon types are better or worse against different defenses? I haven't found anything that specifies if the ME2 system of Heavy Pistols beat Armor or SMGs beat Shields is still in place.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 6, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

RONALD REAGAN posted:

If I had ME2 DLC armour, will they show up in my inventory, or do I have to buy them at a store somewhere on the Citadel?

They become available in shops. Expensive too. :sigh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well to be fair there were a lot of times in ME1 where you had three dialogue options that all said the exact same thing. Literally. Word for word identical. This time at least they're not trying to hide it.

Generally your choices kind of set the tone for the lines that follow, from what I've seen. I like that just fine.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Amateur Saboteur posted:

The first thing you hear when you get to the Normandy is your Yeoman's homolust for EDI's voice, then Vega AKA Flex Crunchlust hits on me after some homoerotic slap-boxing, then the Yeoman practically demands me to go downstairs just to hear the mexican dude talk about his dead husband that I personally give all of zero shits about.

This all in the span of the 20 minutes after tutorial.

You're upset that they're establishing characters? You're the one who asked about Cortez's family. You want him to not mention that one member of his family that might offend your sensibilities?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Amateur Saboteur posted:

I've never asked about Cortez's family :confused: I talked to him once and didn't even chose investigate options because he seemed uninteresting I don't see why then the game made it a bulletin to force me downstairs just to see that cutscene. Or maybe you think I'm some other poster?

I never got a bulletin when I played last night. I went down to talk to him and he didn't say anything about a husband until I asked about family. He told me about his parents and then his husband dying at Ferris Fields. Then he told me not to talk about it.

It's an RPG. You talk to your crew. They tell you about themselves. Some of them are gay. It's the first 20 minutes of the game and they're establishing what you can expect for the next 20+ hours. It's okay.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Amateur Saboteur posted:

After you get done touching each other you have the option to say you like the pet name he gives you but even if you tell him to cut that poo poo out he says "your loss" with a lisp even. That still made me pretty uncomfortable and I'm not a homophobe IRL, I just don't like my Shepard having to go Renegade option and be a jerk just to keep from implying I want to blow a dude.

Huh. I went the paragon option for that and his response wasn't at all "gay." I'm really wondering if you're reading into it, but I haven't heard the renegade line so I must withhold judgment.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Well, I've talked to about every Squadmate ever in the 2 previous Mass Effect games and never had the game specifically tell me to go X place and talk to X person just for pure character building stuff that literally doesn't affect any quest or add anything to the game outside of lore. I don't care he's gay; I care the game shoved it down my throat.

I have no idea what you're talking about because the game did not do that for me. That seems like a weird thing to be different. I have yet to be forced to talk to anyone besides the Council. Perhaps you're further ahead and this is something that comes up later?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well, I like that the sexbot was not the crew's idea: It was TIM's. He made a sexy infiltrator and EDI basically sees it and, in the immortal words of Shep, says "I can use this!" :shepface:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Jesus man you are reading way too much into this and need to back up. You're straight inventing poo poo now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Holy poo poo, not only is Jessica Chobot extremely attractive in this game, she's also an incredibly talented voice actress :negative:

What are you talking about she's horri... oh! Yeah. Yeah, I agree. Eeee.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Eej posted:

The Eurogamer review mentioned a side conversation between a Soldier and the Asari receptionist at the Embassy but all I have there is an old lady trying to contact her son and every time I swing by she's lapsing more and more into dementia and she can't even remember why she's there anymore but the receptionist reminds her a lot of the Asari that her son married. (Spoilered for side conversation progression) It's :smith: as hell.

There's a conversation between a soldier and his asari wife as in the dock, as I recall. That what you're looking for?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Bastards! You can't just link Tali's face! You have to earn it!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is there just something about Kaidan's eyes when he's introduced in this game that kind of just makes him look like a mannequin? Is it just me?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I haven't seen personal proof yet, but Arrival, Kasumi, Zaeed and Liara's DLCs have been mentioned as impacting somehow.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

Sure are defensive there, hoss.

Really? What is this? You're making hyperbolic complaints, he's making hyperbolic retorts. You get back what you put in.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I have half a dozen characters who are going to find out one way or another. Might be able to say in a week.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Tali isn't old enough to have been on the planet while it was inhabitable, is she?

That's the first thing I said to my brother when I found out there was a picture. She cannot exist outside of her suit, she is not 300 years old, why does this picture even EXIST?

Except she can get out of her suit. They do that to make babies, after all, from the act to the birthing. It's just inviting enormous risk from illness. I imagine if it takes place on spoiler place, it's strikes me as a "gently caress it, I'm going to do this at least once and enjoy it" sort of thing

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Anyone else finding the Chakram Launcher to be really really good? I tried the Argus Rifle on Insanity and couldn't hit poo poo, and when I did it didn't do nearly enough damage. The Chakram Launcher was finishing some enemies in three shots (or less if I got a headshot) and reloads really fast (again, unlike the Argus).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Both my Commander Shepards that I used for ME1 and 2 imported looking way too strange for me to accept. I'm going to have to wait and see if they can fix this.

Well, they're working on a fix for the face import bug from ME1, but I don't think they're going to be overhauling the face creator anytime soon. You may just have to bite the bullet and change the faces.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah, Harbinger doesn't show up at all. He was the very first Reaper and he gets no screen time at all! It was disappointing, but the two main antagonists in ME3 are pretty good so it makes up for that.

Okay, the mind boggles. The ME3 codex even establishes Harbinger as the leader of the Reapers and he's not in the game?

Maybe we're all just racist and don't recognize him when he shows up and doesn't say anything? :shobon:

edit: You know what? I am just going to not read this thread for a while. I need to be finding all this poo poo out for myself and I have to wait until Spring Break to really sit down with it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

On the subject of ME1 face codes not transferring, I think it works like this.

Between ME1 and ME2 they didn't tweak the face rig that much. Pretty much all of the original options were there in their original places, but not everything was a perfect translation. This meant ME1 faces could be just dropped in without being rebuilt and didn't need (or get) any references or edits (in fact, there wasn't a mechanism in ME2 to edit an existing face, suggesting that the settings were kind of "fire and forget" in ME1 and didn't leave proper references for editing). There wasn't a subroutine, however, that then reviewed the ME1 settings and spat out a face code for later reference.

The problem with this is that they *did* make changes to the faces for ME3. Necessarily this means that ME3 has to look at the face code for your ME2 character and translate that into the new face rig, which then has to be editable. But ME3's rig can only translate from ME2's rig because the code is present, while ME1's lacks the necessary references to make the translation. Furthermore, they don't have a mechanism that can detect if the face is from ME1 so they can't (at least not yet) make a proper translator that can look at the ME1 settings (whatever or wherever they may be) and then retrofit those to the ME3 rig.

Spergy guesswork on my end, but I think I understand the problem. Coding myopia six years ago is biting them in the rear end today.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, as I think about it, the character generator in ME1 just uses the sliders as a tool for manipulating the points on the rig. It doesn't save the generator settings, only the rig settings, when it looks at your face. A "translator" subroutine would have to be able to examine all the points on the ME1 face rig, reference those back to the charactor generator settings for ME1, translate those settings to those used in the ME2 generator, and then generate a face code for that before it could transfer into the ME3 rig. I can see how that might be hard to fix.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rincewind posted:

I managed to recreate my Shepard's face exactly, but then I went and picked new hair that totally frames her face differently.

It's my fault, but I still feel kind of silly. :v:

I'm just glad I am perpetually unhappy with my faces and make new ones game to game because the eyes are a centimeter too low or something. It's saved me this particular headache.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

DMBFan23 posted:

Doesn't this process already happen for ME1->ME2 though? And the issue would be the differences in mapping tables or whatever due to the different face options in 2 vs. 3?

Sadly, no, because the references ME3 needs for its mapping tables simply don't exist in the ME1 faces. An ME1 face in ME2 works because the face coincidentally uses the same table, but you can't edit them because they are missing the references needed (the face itself does not log the references, I guess; hence the face code). The ME1 heads are kind of just a dead end with no ready way to reverse engineer them without making a whole new routine just for collecting all the old map points and assigning them the applicable references. It's doable, like Biru said, but a lot of work to get right.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 7, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

Putting fortification on Vanguard Shepard is absolutely insane. You have massively increased damage and take very little. Then you can purge it and beat and Atlas to death with you fists. On Insanity.

How badly does Fortification slow down your biotic charge?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Amateur Saboteur posted:

So I'm really curious; who fill in the roles for Garrus and/or Wrex if you import a save where they're dead? I guess Wrex could be whoever replaced him in 2 easily enough, but are you just missing a squadmate if you don't have Garrus?

I checked the guide briefly, trying to find something while avoiding spoilers, and basically, if there's a quest that depends on that character, you'll get a temporary ally who can loosely handle the dialogue role Garrus or Tali would have had, but they are not a permanent character (and may not even be playable--haven't gotten to a point where it's come up and the guide seemed a little vague on that.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Allers seems to just be a way to get more war assets if you feed her some details now and again, but she has all of three entries in the Prima guide.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Holy poo poo adepts and the pull/warp combo are insanely deadly even on Insanity. I have never chewed through crowds this fast even as a vanguard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

The slowdown is a but confusing. I don't know whether it's supposed to slowdown cast time or cooldowns. If its cast time, the it straight up doesn't affect charge and nova.

If it is cooldown and if you have very little weight and other power reducing effects, it doesn't slow it down at all. My charge still comes up about 1 second after nova. I'm actually using three weapons as well and still have extremely quick cooldowns (because the weapons are all weightless thanks to my powers and mods).

Fortification is just so good. Virtually no cooldown for 25% damage reduction (30% if you don't want the melee damage bonus) and 20% damage and force. Then you can expend it for 100% melee damage bonus. Combined with other +melee from powers, bonuses, and weapons, this makes you melee for incredible amounts.

With this setup, I don't have to be that cautious on insanity like I was in 2. Other than a handful of situations, I've been able to just charge around and explode people with melee.

You pop it just like Tech Armor, right? So best decision would be to map Fortification to the LB and Nova to RB and pop the armor when you need to beat something to death Nova didn't kill? Not sure how often you need to do that.

I look forward to trying this out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Are the names of the crew of the original Normandy always on the wall? They are for my game. I inspected the Normandy Crash in ME1 and found all the tags, and then didn't lose the crew in ME2. Are people like Hadley and co. on the wall if you let them get turned into reaper soup?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

They really did make adept much better. Spec'ing for warp-splosions with pull as an opener is lightning fast and, I think, even more damaging than Nova.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

greatBigJerk posted:

One thing that has been REALLY bugging since I started playing is the total lack of choices. Almost every time the dialogue tree pops up your choices amount to:
- Say yes as a nice guy
- Say yes as a dick

I think they did it this way for two reasons. Maybe three. First, in ME2 they pared down the number of options, usually giving you only two responses to most prompts. This is just continuing that trend. I don't blame them because some of the dialogue options in ME1 were three options to say the same loving thing (such as the Citadel, where you have three options that all say "stop ignoring us" or three options that all say "the visions...I understand them now," etc.)

The other reason is because if they space them between the top and bottom people who are skipping dialogue with X are less likely to accidentally pick an option they didn't mean to.

Beyond that it's just consistency. And you'll note that many of the "nice guy" options don't sound so nice when they're actually said. The neutrals really just got moved up or down relative to the flavor of the other option, and give you the opposing flavor of rep if applicable so you're always getting something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Jesus. I just got through Grissom Academy on Insanity. That first chamber after you hook up with the students is absolutely brutal.

And then you get to ride an ATLAS. That was fun.

• Locked thread