Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Finished it. Decided to choose Control, but probably because I knew the Relays explicitly blow up in the other endings, while in this one it's somewhat ambiguous. I found it somewhat fitting : Shepard gives up whatever's left of his/her life/body to stop the Reapers, and civilization isn't completely screwed (unless Bioware retcons this, in which case gently caress 'em). Reapers are still around somewhere, but so is the Citadel and the Relays (... I think), and they may never be called upon again.

So yeah, this ending isn't completely terrible for me, unlike the other two: Destroy for killing the Geth and EDI; Synthesis for being the stupidest thing ever.

Still, way to drop the ball. Mass Effect 3 will probably be the patron saint of "Best games with the worst endings" somewhere down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Codependent Poster posted:

The stupid kid explicitly says that the mass relays are destroyed when the Crucible fires. The relays blow up in every ending.

I try to go by video evidence. In Control we see some damage occur, but never blowing up, unlike in Destroy and Synthesis.

I know I'm jumping through some hoops, but it's not like Bioware formed any sort of closure with this.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Codependent Poster posted:

You're looking at videos and not going by what is told to you in no uncertain terms happens.

But that's okay, because everyone else is making up their own endings too.

Maybe I'm giving Bioware too much credit, but I assume they might be trying to communicate something by not showing it. And even if they're not, it's enough of a breach for me to form my own version of the ending, so who cares. Probably won't be buying another ME game anyway.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

deathsuxdontdie posted:

Did anyone else get the inception ending?

Blew up reapers, normandy crashes, door cracks open a tiny bit then goes to slide fully open and BOOM FADE TO BLACK WHO IS ON THE SHIP WHAT THE gently caress DID MY ENTIRE SQUAD DIE? Is every character I've grown to like over the past 5 years literally dead? What is going on? :(

Not enough War Assets. If you have more than enough people will come out of it.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Naturally Selected posted:

FYI, red ending=destroy all technology, :shepface: possibly survives. So you kinda hosed them out of everything there. Including a ship to get back. Including all ships. Including life support. Including :psyboom:

No, I'm pretty sure it just wipes out synthetic life and Reaper tech. Everything else survives.

Then again nothing is clear when it comes to the endings.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

DFu4ever posted:

Just finished the game a few minutes ago and I'm not sure what I think. The game was phenomenal right up until the ending. It was clicking for me, story-wise, in just about every way. They even managed to make the romance feel more tied to the story instead of "choose woman, bang, never reference it again". At least with Tali it was pretty well written.

But, I am really not sure what to think of the endings.

The three options I was presented with disappointed me. I ended up choosing the synergy one, but felt like I was robbed of a fourth option. I just got done uniting the entire loving galaxy and I couldn't convince the ghost kid to turn off his god drat reapers??? Buuuuullllllshit.

The endings Bioware threw in simply don't fit the tone of the game. They're a little too out there and don't gel with the setting as presented, which makes them intensely unsatisfying. Not to mention they just put a bullet in the head of their franchise, which boggles my mind. Sure, they could do prequels, but isn't that crap kind of run into the ground these days?

I think I am just going to pretend my 360 red ringed sometime late in the final mission and I never got to finish the game.

Oh, and I busted my rear end clearing systems and doing sidequests and left very very few undone, and I only got 3500ish points. I can't see any way you can clear 5000 and get the 'perfect' ending without multiplayer in your initial run, and that sucks.

You are not wrong.

Hell, I think it's better for everyone if the whole bit with the kid is just a last hallucination as Shepard dies from the blood loss. Would explain how Kaidan is somehow on the Normandy, even though he was pretty much side by side with Shepard as Harbinger vaporized everything.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Spikeguy posted:

Have any official reviewers commented on the ending? All I keep hearing is that the game is a great ending for the trilogy. Personally, I don't care how it ends, the scene where I talked to all my friends before the last push was enough for me. Everything after that is flavor text. I'm more interested in how all "official" reviewers seem to have no problem with it, while it seems a majority of the game's fans hate it. How did this gap form? Have we become our own subculture?

I haven't read a whole lot of them, but the guy from 1Up was pretty down about it

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Banjodark posted:

actually I'm going to ruin this one for you it's implied they have sex immediately after that dinner/bar conversation. You can talk to Kaidan later on the Normandy and he'll mention he was upset you didn't wake him up in the morning.

I'll speak for me, but I have no problem with that. I mean, isn't that what most couples do? I don't think it's weird to imply people in a relationship have sex sometimes.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I really, really, really wish that happened instead. Someday I want to ask the team why they didn't go that route.

Because the only way to enduring, lasting peace and understanding is molecular rape

And by God they spent a fuckload of time inthat goddamned child's design, so it needs to show up more than once.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 2, 2012

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I do find it interesting if someone plays ME3 first, then goes back to the previous ones to get a better insight of things. Not sure if the endings would prevent that (probably not, but still).

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

PunkBoy posted:

I'm a little disappointed they never bring up Ashley's faith again in 3. I thought the conversation you have with her about religion in 1 was pretty well done (unless I'm totally mis-remembering it).

There was supposed to be a conversation between her and Shepard about death and afterlife, but it got cut. Pretty sure there's some slides out there.

Fake edit: Here

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

The_Doctor posted:

Seriously. The moment he mentioned "dead husband", Shepard was basically "so what you're saying is you're single?"

Hey, same thing happens with a female Shepard and Thane - who is himself dying - so why not keep it equal opportunity?

E: VVV Great minds, my friend.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 19, 2013

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I think something in the mold of New Vegas could work, too. Guy/gal is envolved in a personal quest that ends up branching into something bigger (though probably not on the level of a galactic war) as the game unfolds.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
And another (awful) picture

https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/398555808856035328

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
PC version is not controller-enabled.

I usually choose between Vanguard (which is basically easy mode in any difficulty, barring a few parts) and Infiltrator, 'cause being invisible is good and carrying a gently caress-off Sniper Rifle is better.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
If you played Leviathan Destroy has the added bonus of an organic Reaper race with those loving mind control balls everywhere.

God-Emperor Shepard alldayerryday

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

SubponticatePoster posted:

I admit to sticking a Black Widow on many classes I shouldn't have. By that I mean "all of them except Vanguard" because a 200%+ cooldown Vanguard is batshit insanity that shouldn't be hosed with.

Also I've platted both ME2 & 3, and suppose I will get around to 1 eventually but it hurts :shepicide:

I was once a starry-eyed one as you. Then I got to Pinnacle Station.

:fireman:

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I'd say the fundamental problem with the Synthesis ending for me - beyond not making any sense - is philosophical.

Instead of all the races agreeing to merge man and machine, Shep imposes this change on everyone. And while you can do poo poo like this all the time over the trilogy, they at least had someone call them out on it. Not so with Synthesis, who is the Golden Ending in universe.

... Though I still think a God Emperor of Mass Effect would be cool. Bonus points for Garrus as Duncan Idaho, but I'm not that picky.

E: vv Holy poo poo yeah, the "Sentient Husk trying to find his place in the world" story could be amazing

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 25, 2013

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
No one knows, but Chris L'Etoile (dude who wrote Ash, Legion and EDI in ME2, among other things) disliked the initial idea because humanity was to be made even more special (as in, the Human Reaper would possibly be the salvation of the galaxy), and it would legitimase the genocidal actions of the Reapers even more than the ending we got.

The final decision, I believe, would be to sacrifice humanity to create the Reaper and - again; possibly - save the galaxy, or destroy the Reapers and hope to unite the rest of the space-faring races to stop the dark energy destruction. From what I read, they wouldn't reveal if either (or both) choices would work - though I could be wrong with the last one.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 26, 2013

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I'm... not sure how the countless genocides are "avenged". No matter how good you think Synthesis is, an inconceivable amount of people suffered horribly for it, in ways far too cruel - seriously, melting people alive and conscious to make a giant ship's core drive is hosed up.

Then again the whole idea of that ending reeks of "forced enlightenment" to me anyway, so we clearly took the meaning of Synthesis differently.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Honestly the one thing I thought would be cool pre-EC was the possibility of a small Earth-centric game where all those different races are forced to live together on a war-torn planet, and the problems that would arise from that: Quarians and turians would have to cooperate and try to synthetize their own food - didn't the quarians bring some of their Liveships over for the final battle? At least there would be precedent-; very important Krogan would be stranded and very angry about not being able to get back to Tuchanka; Humanity would have to house a bunch of colonies for potentially millions of different people from different races in their homeworld, which would create an interesting divide.

All the while trying to communicate with people galaxies away and form their own version of a Relay Network (They would have those Reaper corpses around the Earth, at least)

It could've gone some interesting ways (of course the exploration part would have to be overhauled, since it would be very different from the previous games).

... But they ended up changing that so, eh.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
The main problem with the EDI talks is that in ME2 she seemed to understand the human condition fairly well for a machine. In ME3 she has downright regressed to "Is this what you organics call... Love?" levels of ignorance.

She became loving Data. And seven seasons of Data was enough.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
If it was better set up, it wouldn't be, since we know from the first game that the Citadel and the Relays are a giant Reaper honeypot, so discarding them at the end of the series would make some amount of sense.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Relays are presented as a form of stagnation, Reaper influence or not. The asari wouldn't try to build another form of transportation from things they learned from the past, and even laugh at Liara's "father" for suggesting that (altough who the gently caress knows if that's true, since apparently she's watching Liara on the Matriarch's orders, but they did withhold information from the Conduit on Thessia).

I'm not saying the ending - or even the ME3 main plot - works with the Relays being destroyed, but the entire series should be focused on how to stop being so reliant on the Relay Network and the Citadel, since they're obviously holding everyone back to some extent or another.

... I guess I want Mass Effect to be a series about alternative energy?

Also a game where a bunch of several different species are stuck on the same planet, and some can't even eat its food has potential, and was one of the few things that made me go "Well, if they want to do something after this, I guess it's a good starting point".

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Inverness posted:

I have to fundamentally disagree with you. The relays are not holding people back. The relays allowed different races separated by vast distances to come together and pool their knowledge to better themselves. I don't see how they're "obviously holding everyone back".

In my opinion, part of the reason the galaxy stagnated before was because its mainly led by a very long lived race who had little interest in rocking the boat since they didn't need to. Keeping technology relatively stagnant let the Asari stay on top with their secret Prothean library.

I think that is a reasonable assumption. Part of it is that there were much larger periods of peace in the galaxy after the whole Rachni/Krogan ordeal where there was little impetus for advancement in many areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvrIFIjTGt0

Sovereign tells you that's what the Relays are for, dude. You can only explore the bits of space near the Relays, and people are really scared of what one day may come out of one of them. Could be humans, could be loving Rachni.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Boogle posted:

Admittedly they took their time, but he's now albatross for the company.

... Which is why they gave him a whole new project before he got kicked out?

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Drifter posted:

Do we know he got kicked out? Or is this just general leaving the company slang?

A page back but yeah, I should've put some :turianass: in kicked out. I think he simply left (he's been in the studio for 16 years, after all), and was supposedly heading the new project they're going to unveil at Gamescom - Shadow Realms, I think it's called -, so it highly unlikely that it was a corporate mandate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

quote:

-Alec Ryder is voiced by Clancy Brown

So... At least an 85% chance that Dad!Ryder is the main villain of the series, then

• Locked thread