Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

So I completed the game for the first time an hour or two ago with my default MaleShep - Paragon as heck gun-toting galactic peacemaker extraordinaire. Did everything right (or at least as right as possible, what with the few unavoidable either/ors the game throws at you) as far as I could tell, had a fuckton of assets and even bothered to raise galactic war readiness to 100%. It was a long, generally satisfying ride, with some of the best highs and lows of the entire series, and I was looking forward so very much to the big payoff at the end.

All I can say is that I suspect BioWare have been looking a little too much at what others have been doing in the past few years, and forgot that it's sometimes okay not to go along with the rest - especially if a slightly different approach has always worked out very well indeed for you in the past. BioWare RPGs, in my mind, are not supposed to necessarily end on what is essentially a downer. My biggest complaint isn't that they've basically closed off all possibilities for developing the ME universe further, or that the transhumanist angle came in too late and wasn't developed properly/felt out of place, but that they have made it largely impossible for the player to actually feel good about wrapping up this trilogy. Although I can appreciate the drama and ambiguity of ME3's conclusion, in the sense that it makes for more interesting science-fiction than a clichéd fairytale happy ending and, for better or worse, has evidently resonated very strongly with the playerbase, I can't help but feel somewhat cheated. Worse still, ME3's possible endings actually make me hesitant to play through the game again - and I get the impression that they have the same effect on many others. That BioWare apparently had not anticipated this response boggles my mind.

Even so, I do wish to stress that up to the end, it is a great third instalment in the series as far as I'm concerned. While playing I got the impression that there's a lot more non-interactive dialogue compared to the previous titles, which I thought was a pity, and I believe the game takes just a little too long to open up, but other than that I have no real material criticism to offer. I'm very impressed by just how much content and attention to detail there is in ME3, the combat and character-building aspects appear to have been quite sensibly refined since ME2, there's tons of lovely touches in characters' facial animations during dialogue/cutscenes, some very memorable writing, and, as I said, some of the best highs and lows of the entire series. Even if the finale is a letdown, you'll feel like a goddamn champ if you cure the genophage and broker peace between the quarians and geth. Here's hoping that BioWare will be moved to create a more pleasing (set of) ending(s), so that ME3 can eventually be called close to perfect without any reservations.

A Nice Boy posted:

Two quick questions:

1. Side quests: I've read that you want to do as many side quests as you can before doing priority quests because some side quests can fail if you don't. I'm at the part when you go back to the citadel and the game really opens up, and I have like 15 side quests. I pop back into the Normandy, but I can't find any of the systems to do them in, aside from a few.

My question: Do the side quests that you CAN DO pop up when you highlight systems? There are a few I can do right now, like recovering the artifacts for the Blue Suns mission, but a lot of them like Benning: Evidence don't show up anywhere. I finally got annoyed with wandering the galaxy map and looked online, and about half my missions aren't available.

So: When side missions become available, do they automatically show up on the galaxy map as a blinking system?
Some systems will only become accessible a little later on. Many of those will seem 'empty', i.e. there's no marker for any mission; that's where scanning comes in. You fly around a system, sending out scanning pulses until you detect something to pick up. There's no landing required, but if you detect something on a planet's surface you'll have to do a surface scan for a hotspot a la ME2. Since scanning more than once will alert the Reapers to your presence, and they won't leave until you've finished a mission (you can escape easily enough by flying to the edge of a system or a mass relay, though) I find it's best to start out doing the systems surrounding the one with the mass relay and abuse the quick-save function for if you scan in the wrong spot.

Also, a few missions will have pickups for the side-quests, so be sure to look around every area very carefully.

quote:

2. Second: I'm doing an insanity run as a soldier, and I'm not going to lie, it's been rough so far. Just finished From Ashes, and with most of the tough battles so far I've had to be really tactical and find good cover or other ways to beat it. It's been fun so far, because in the old ME's I played 'em on normal and basically just blasted everything and didn't care about being careful...Now I have to be insanely careful and really think about how to approach every battle.

That being said, some things like Atlases and Turrets are giving me hell. As a soldier, is the game going to get way harder, or is it about like this the whole way?
The first playthrough I mentioned was as a Soldier on Hardcore, and I found it quite challenging as well. A few enemies - Banshees above all - remain kind of nightmarish until the very end, since they take inordinate amounts of punishment and will hunt you down very quickly, but in general I thought the game became easier as I progressed through the levels. Having the right people with you helps, too. For example, fragile though she is, Liara's Singularity + Warp combo is highly effective in many situations.

FairGame posted:

gently caress that; given the people you show up with at the endgame location, Your away team is loving dead. A galaxy without Garrus and Tali is a stupid galaxy.
I took Garrus and Liara and thought "what the heck this can't be right, they can't be dead". Sure enough, though, I get to the final cutscene and watch Liara exit the crashed Normandy entirely unscathed. Perhaps the galaxy isn't so stupid after all. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I finished the game last night and have been thinking a lot about what they could've done instead.

[snip]

It's like someone decided, well we want you to die so here are three options were you will die (or get a 10s cut scene if you play our multiplayer and farm all the war stuff).

Anyway I would have much preferred if they just turned off the reapers/told them to gently caress off for a cycle and then had a little montage of scenes based on your choices through-out all three games. It's not like it's a stretch they kinda did one just before the start of the end anyway. You wouldn't even need to pay voice talent if you're a cheap poo poo.
Going a little off-topic here, but this made me think of Planescape: Torment's ending. I always took issue with that as well, since it basically throws out both choice and morality, and forces the player to accept death, either in the form of non-existence or damnation. I've never understood why TNO cannot (try to) strike a deal with TTO to leave each other in peace. Especially for an evil-minded TNO, it makes no sense to give up his life just like that. Considering also that the issue of his amnesia-upon-death has been solved, I've never seen any obvious reasons for TTO to refuse such an offer. And such a conclusion, I think, is almost exactly what you're suggesting here: bargain with the Catalyst to withdraw the Reapers so that both the old, "ascended" life as well as the new will have a future, perhaps on the condition that there will be no more great wars between organics and synthetics.

Geisladisk posted:

My biggest problem with the writing is not the ending, which, while disappointing, was honestly pretty predictable.

[snip]

Also, most people seemed pretty nonchalant about the whole "reapers are on Earth/Your homeworld murdering your friends and family and/or turning them into robot space zombies". They seemed annoyed at best - Like when Garrus points to the big god drat fireball on Palaven and goes "Yeah that's where I'm from, my dad and sisters are down there." - He then proceeds to not give a poo poo and no mention it at all the rest of the game.
Hell, the only time I remember seeing anyone display any emotion or distress over the whole thing is when you walk in on the pilot crying about his dead husband.
I don't think this is true at all. Concerning Garrus, he brings up the family situation multiple times throughout the game, updating you on what's new (or what isn't) and being pretty agitated about it the whole time. Of course, you do have to regularly talk to him on the Normandy in-between missions to hear it all. As for everyone else, it's true perhaps that most people don't seem quite worried enough - Joker comments on this when you chat with him on the Presidium. However, later on, he also basically tells you that are people doing their best to ignore the war as much as possible out of sheer desperation. He even admits to doing the same. Walking around the Citadel after the Cerberus attack, you can hear people whimper and cry. You can also overhear conversations about how people have been affected or are being affected by the war. When it comes to people you know, it's probably important to note that they are professionals, and that not all of them have really experienced the consequences of the war yet. Allers is clearly very shocked when she hears about Bekenstein, however, and Liara is absolutely devastated after witnessing the carnage on Thessia. Hearing about Shepard's failure leaves the asari Councilor visibly confused and terrified, to the point of suddenly breaking off the call. Too little, too late, perhaps, but I don't think it's fair to say that nobody's emotional over the whole thing.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Charlie Mopps posted:

LIara is really crushed about Palaven though. But you're right, she seems to be the exception.
May I draw your attention to my post higher up on this same page?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I already linked this in the spoiler thread, but I'm going to link it here too because it's the one legitimately excellent, saving grace of ME3's final moments: the ending cutscene music. Close your eyes, listen to it, and imagine the conclusion to this mighty trilogy that you have spent years hoping for.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Aristobulus posted:

I'm going to mention as a sidenote these were touches I thought made the characters seem so much more developed and natural - in ME1 or ME2, that same scene would've had you approach Liara standing in her lab/room on the Normandy, and she would complain at you about it, here in ME3, she's not standing in the same spot when you enter the room, she's already in the process of just grieving on her bed.
Absolutely. Throughout ME3, I was constantly impressed and pleased by the much more refined interaction with your squadmates, as well as the interactions between them. The Normandy felt much more alive, and your squadmates much more like actual characters instead of animatronics that would only activate when Shepard spoke directly to them. I already said this in my first post in this thread, but I'd like to reiterate that I was genuinely wowed by all that tertiary content and all the attention to detail in so many of the cutscenes. In particular, I was extremely pleased to see how much more effort has been put into animating characters' eyes and eyebrows this time round. It seems like such a small thing, but it makes a huge difference.

Honestly, the overall quality of ME3, with all its little yet highly effective improvements, makes it all the more a pity that you don't get that same, rich feeling of satisfaction when you see the credits roll as you did after completing the previous two games.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

kuddles posted:

I feel like the whole game was like this. For instance, yes, the levels were essentially just typical cover-shooter dungeons but they did a much better job of hiding that and making you feel like you actually were in these epic environments. In one level you are in a building that breaks into an underground cave that then turns into a giant hallway of ancient ruins. In another, you fight in a war-torn urban environment with a giant Reaper overhead until it culminates at a giant museum/cathedral. Meanwhile, 90% of the levels in the first two games were basically cramped corridors going one way and they just told you it was either a spaceship or space station.
Aside from the level design, most if not all missions also benefit from those comparatively minor touches that are so prevalent throughout the game. In ME1 and ME2, there's very little talking going on in missions outside of cutscenes and conversations, but in ME3 there's tons of radio chatter. There's also many more small set-pieces, with things flying overhead and Reapers stomping around/shooting stuff in the background, to give a much more powerful illusion of not merely taking part in active warfare, but in doing so at the same time as many others.

quote:

DLC controversy aside, I actually don't use him during missions, but I like what Javik adds to the story. Everyone in the past two games talked about how the Protheans were this brilliant culture based on all the research they did on their race, and how Javik basically goes "Actually, we were space nazis."
Agreed.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Zedd posted:

Legion:
Tali'Zorah, does this unit have a soul?

Every time. :( I really need to import my cheery run next.
Maybe I'm thinking of a different scene, but what effect would a "cheery run" have here?

Aristobulus posted:

Kindof funny because I found Liara absolutely invaluable as a squadmember. Her Singularity, and Stasis, are really powerful. Especially if you take the pure biotic power to make singularity have an absolutely silly tiny recharge time.

And stasis is even better than it was in ME2, where it was a godly power.
I actually barely used Stasis, which was perhaps a mistake, but I also found Singularity's really excellent and made judicious use of it in conjunction with Warp to quickly take down small groups of weaker enemies. That being said, she is a bit fragile, which can be a problem when a couple of loving Banshees show up and there's Marauders running around and hell taking place around you and also everything's loving dark and I can barely see where I'm running (although that's my fault for not raising the gamma setting, I suppose).

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So on the Grissom Academy Mission does it matter whether you send the teenagers that survive off to be the biotic attack squad or keep them back to make barriers beyond a slight increase in how many war asset points and rep points you get? Does that ever come up again?
Not sure what happens if you send them to the front lines, but if you use them for support, you'll get a heartfelt thank you from Jack - provided she survived ME2 - when you look her up in Purgatory.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Zedd posted:

non fuckup shep, so I could at least make peace
Oh, I see. I was confused there because I've only seen the peaceful solution, where there is a very similar exhange. Looking at a YouTube vid now, though, it's certainly a lot more :smith: in a fuckup run.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

One thing I hoped the game would reveal that Shepard was some kind of long genetic project of the Protheans, which is why she could read the beacons. Saren would have been something similar for the Turian. It really showed that the Protheans were playing a long game of survival, trying to make the next cycle the last.
Unless there were scores of human beings with the appropriate genes running around - in which case Shepard wouldn't be all that special anyway -, I don't really see how the Protheans could accomplish such a thing, or even why they would bother creating a single genetic line that never produced more than one viable child per generation; even if that were possible, the risks of failure would surely greatly outweigh the benefits. Spreading those genes would be a far better and more economical strategy.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

HenessyHero posted:

You do get a bit of that. According to Javik, Protheans manipulated the Asari genome so everyone would be born with some biotic ability. They also taught the Asari about the stars and agriculture, and saved their planet from a rogue asteroid while they were still primitives. I'm not sure at what stage during their cycle they did the majority of that, but it seems like the Protheans were trying give at least one species a kick-start.
Just goes to prove my point that pulling off some extraordinary scheme so that 50,000 years from now there'll be a handful of genetically unique snowflakes scattered throughout the galaxy, for sole the purpose of fighting the Reapers in the next cycle, is really stretching things.

On a different note, here's some more rad music from ME3 to listen to and think "fuuuuuck this bit was so good why they gotta bring a busta down at the very end".

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Charlie Mopps posted:

Thats also another amazing song from the OST. Although i have to admit, while i consider the ME3 soundtrack to have the best quality music, i do like the ME1 soundtrack the most. All those 80's synthesizers worked so well to set the mood for an awesome space opera.
Eh, ME1 has a few brilliant pieces, but I think there's a little too much bassy, atmospheric music and not quite enough brighter-sounding, melodious music. Maybe I'd also like it better if it had proper '80s-style production. More like this (ignore the video) or this or this (sans all the samples).

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Hey guys found this thread about minimalist box art over on NeoGAF and thought I'd make my own for Mass effect.

What's your opinions on them? I tried to be subtle about the theme, as the series progresses the metal gets darker and more worn and the symbol on the spine changes to correspond with that too. Trying to find a phrase that captures each game was hard too. Anyways would any goons use these or are they a bit poo poo? (if anyone does want to use these PM me and I'll send you the files to print out)

Mass Effect

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

This looks pretty neat, but maybe it would be more stylish to make the N7 logo smaller and tuck it in the top-left corner. You may want to consider weathering it for the second and third cover, too.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Well, we can have magic genetic science in ME, because we already had it. But yes, they maybe did some manipulation among many primitive humans knowing that there would be one who would appear at some point.
It's a real stretch to suggest that genetic development left unattended for 50 millennia could offer any guarantees. More importantly, if their control of DNA was actually that refined, surely it would have been no trouble to directly introduce the genetic modifications necessary to use Prothean devices? They could've grabbed a bunch of humans, enabled them to do what's necessary, then put them back and let nature run its course as they'd multiply until there's millions (even billions) of humans who could use them. Maybe I'm missing something, but I honestly see no benefit whatsoever for either the Protheans or humans to resorting to some dreadful copy of Dune's entire Kwisatz Haderach angle.

CapnAndy posted:

I just found out you can activate the Blasto 6 ad to hear the movie. Oh my God.
That was such a welcome moment (well, series of moments) of levity after the general glumness of everything up to that point.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I was trying to do that but I couldn't quite get it right plus they were a bit of a rush job (definitely going to go back and touch them up though when I have more time!)

also I'll try the logo in the top left/right corner when I was doing it something just screamed "LOGO GOES IN CENTRE!!"
That's okay, just trying to be constructive! Maybe it helps if you paste a metallic texture across the logo like with the background? Also, considering that the ME3 CE box has a big N7 logo smack in the middle, too, it makes sense that your first instinct would be to do the same; and even if you actually haven't seen that cover, it would be a pretty obvious thing to try out first.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Huh well that explains why it sounded somewhat familiar, thanks. I guess I was expecting something lyrical and less...downtrodden.
Honestly, to me it sounds surprisingly cheerful given how things turn out. I'm glad they didn't got for an actual song, though - I've always felt that lyrics are out of place on an ME soundtrack. That said, I think M4 (Part I) would've been a slightly better choice still for ME3's credits.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

King Zog posted:

I just started this game, so my impression may be incorrect and will change as I progress through it. I ended up being surprised when conversation wheels were popping up, which is not what I'm used to because in ME2, I felt like I had atleast a few options in a conversation whereas in 3 it seems like Shepard is doing all the talking for me.

Does this change at all? I am two hours into the game, so as I mentioned, I'm probably incorrect.
BioWare did a lot of stuff very right for the bulk of ME3, but unfortunately this is largely par for the course. You'll get to make the big calls, choose between different interjections at times, and occasionally have the opportunity to ask about a variety of topics, but on the whole there's a lot more watching and a lot less clicking involved this time round. To be fair, though, conversations do tend to feel more natural and they're often a lot more elaborate in terms of animation and cinematography than most of the chats in ME1 or ME2.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Gordon Shumway posted:

The Shepard has completed his task.

So that ending man. I'm not sure if I'm upset or disappointed yet, because the confusion hasn't quite worn off. If I'm understanding this right, there was some kind of god like alien (aliens?) trying to solve the problem of synthetics versus organics and the chaos that is ultimately the result. Their solution is the Reapers, who bring order by culling organics before chaos can happen, preserving these races in Reaper form. Naturally, Shepard's mere presence is enough to gently caress up their solution and so they allow him to choose what the next step should be. Which would be all fine and good, except this is totally out of left field, and there is not even so much as a hint of these god like alien things in any other part of this game or the two preceding it. Also, every choice they offer either nullifies half of your choices in the game, leaves the survival of your friends up in the air, or both. The concept is decent enough, but I think it needed more build up. I'd much rather have had the thing destroy the Reapers, allowed Shep to survive, and given me the happily ever after with my space bros that I was fighting for. But okay, I suppose I can (or have to) live with Joker and EDI as literally Adam and Eve in the new universe of synthetically augmented organics.

Tell me another story about the Shepard, grandad. Tell me the one where he right hooks the god like aliens until they agree to bring him back to life and restore the Mass Relays.

All in all, this game was pretty drat good though.
This is from a few pages back, but I wanted to say that these "god like alien things" are hinted at in ME3, when you talk to the dying Reaper on Rannoch and to the Prothean VI on Thessia. The first tells you that the cycle cannot be broken, that chaos must be prevented, implying that there is some higher purpose which they are required to serve. The second informs you that there appears to be some other, unknown force than the Reapers themselves responsible for the cycles.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

When I heard that? I honestly thought that ME3 would end up being kicking the Reapers' asses, then kicking the rear end of said "unknown force" and callin' it a day. Which of course it wasn't, even though that's what Mass Effect is about.
I initially thought that Shepard would be presented with a dilemma - something along the lines of: destroy the Reapers and save civilisation for now, but doom later generations, or accept defeat so that others may eventually live. That expectation changed later on, as it occurred to me that all this foreshadowing would be perfect for games set after ME3. Shepard can definitively defeat the Reapers now, but this unseen enemy(?) will remain a mystery, and will eventually threaten the galaxy again. The way things actually turned out seems like a wasted opportunity, as well as a poor business decision.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Haha. "That assassin should be embarrassed. A terminally ill Drell stopped him from reaching his target."

Man, I loving hate anybody who is a super-duper perfect anime bishounen type poo poo. Is this dumb loving ninja assassin a major enemy for the rest of the game?
You know, after watching that cutscene I couldn't help but think "why Thane why oh why didn't you just shoot him in the goddamn legs when you had the drop on him." It would've saved everyone a lot of bother, because he'll be back and gently caress me did I hate his loving guts - and not even because of the silly Future Space Anime Ninja act. Fortunately, though, you get to own the hell out of him before the end.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think people are putting way more stock in bioware being able to pull off an ending like the one you're describing.
I like to think they did a good job of ME1 and ME2's endings, so I don't see why they couldn't do it a third time. BG2:ToB, NWN:HotU and DA:O (and quite possibly JE and DA2 as well, but I've never played those) also provided perfectly satisfactory epilogues for your party members and the world at large. They should definitely be capable of it, it's more of a question whether they're willing to do so at this point.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

Well yeah, that's my guess, but I have no idea what I might have done wrong. Luckily (?) with the other outcomes it doesn't really matter because virtually nothing would change, and if there is another game to come, I'll just edit the save and it's gonna be like it never went wrong.
Have you looked at the third post in this thread? It tells you what you need to do in ME3 to get the outcome you want.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Charlie Mopps posted:

Im sure a lot of DLC had already been planned. You can bet on there being DLC to take back Omega with/for Aria, and also more DLC for multiplayer.

What will happen now with the whole ending bullshit, who knows.
Yeah, that's a fair bet. I'm a little worried, however, that if they are considering making DLC that changes the ending for the better (unlikely, I know, but hope springs eternal), they might change their mind if whatever other DLC they'll release first fails to sell.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

We can hope that they release the ending-changing DLC first as damage control.
Yes, but the chances of that actually happening are extremely remote I think.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Ahaha, there's a poster in the Council Embassies that advertising "colony life!", behind a vending machine, which obscures part of it, which reads "it's not that bad". That's a nice touch.
I noticed that too, got a giggle out of me. I like all those little details, or the - sometimes close to fourth-wall-breaking - callbacks, like Shepard calling that one indoctrinated Hanar a big stupid jellyfish, or Jack telling Shepard that everyone knows (s)he can't dance when you invite her up to Purgatory's dance floor.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

tadashi posted:

I'm thinking this is the first ME game I won't replay. The side missions are so grating to me since:

1. I feel like the use of a guide is necessary to complete them since you can obtain quests before they are completable
2. It's hard to tell when I've completed missions. Once I finish a side-quest, I have to go read the quest text again to figure out if I've picked up the thing I thought I just recovered or if it's actually related to some other quest
3. The ending

I hate to sound like "this game should be more like WoW" but, with the number of side missions necessary to receive the "good" ending, they could have taken some notes on how other games deal with side quest completions. Just some sort of indicator in the Journal would have been a small detail that went a long way.
I think it should generally be easier the second time round, when you know that you should complete as many scanning-type side missions as you can prior to doing the priority Tuchanka mission and attacking the Cerberus base, or even going to Sanctuary. Knowing that the map of each Citadel area will indicate the presence of an NPC if you can hand in such a side mission is helpful, too. It's very true that actively keeping track of what you've done is made unnecessarily difficult, in particular because your journal doesn't update you on mission progress (an inexplicable design decision), but if you're not too worried about the whole narrative you can sort of coast through the thing MMO-style - visiting all possible places and clicking everything that can be clicked on autopilot until you're done.

Still, if that sort of thing puts you off, and you don't care about the possible endings anyway, you could consider ignoring all the secondary/tertiary stuff and just completing the meat of the game, up to the Conduit or even landing in London.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Noxville posted:

Because the Mass Effect universe is PG-13 and there's no room for gays there (ignore all the gore and Jack dropping f-bombs like there's no tomorrow)
I'm not sure if anyone's commented on this before, but since you mention gore: I was kind of surprised that enemies' heads can actually explode now. I mean, that never happened in ME1 or ME2, right? My memory isn't failing me horribly badly, is it?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hoop Laced poo poo posted:

I'm about to attack the illusive man's base and what I'm thinking about are the party members I've had if this is getting near the end of the game. I'm kinda surprised (maybe after the amount of characters introduced in ME2) at the limited number, or maybe the lack of variety between them if this is all I get for the entire game. Not really a complaint but after checking the OP again I'm kinda surprised there wasn't more variety in your crew.
Probably a matter of resources on the one hand and the consideration that perhaps ME2 had a few too many squadmates on the other (although that's debatable). I had expected to see some more people rejoin you, too, though.

quote:

Also quick question should I start thinking about the war readiness at this point in the single player?
Yes! I'm not exactly sure when it checks your war readiness, but it's best to get it together (if you really care about it - it's not going to make that much of a difference in the end, anyway) before you initiate the endgame by attacking TIM's base. Certainly you should have everything in order prior to the attack on Earth.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

skoolmunkee posted:

Actually Kaidan outranked Shepard in 2! Shepard is a Lieutenant Commander and in 2 you find out Kaidan is a Staff Commander.
I guess Shepard's got the same deal going that Garrus has in ME3, where higher-ranking officers salute him and go "sir" etc. because, while he's never actually been promoted, his effective rank is Supreme Admiral Marshal General or something.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 19, 2012

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Regarding the quests - the other two games notified you when you had moved forward or completed the quests. I have no idea why that was removed for ME3 but it is a huge pain in the rear end. Is it that hard to code so that once I pick up some dogtags on planet X, the journal can update the info and tell me to return to person X to finish the quest? And the fact that some of them are on a kind of timer with no warning is beyond stupid.
You do get notified when you pick something up or complete a side mission (little window pops up in the lower right-hand corner; for side missions, they're almost always a variety of "got item X" or "acquired/updated war asset"), and one time I collected something before getting the actual mission, my journal told me to go to the Citadel and find someone who needed it. Apparently it doesn't always work, but in the majority of cases, all you need to do is call up the map while at the Citadel to see if there's anyone in the area you should talk to.

I'm pretty sure there's no timers either, it's just that the Cerberus attack on the Citadel, which takes place the first time you visit after (not) curing the genophage signals a mid-game point of no return that makes a few side missions impossible to complete. It's vexing that you don't get any warning of that happening, but otherwise you can do everything at your leisure.

quote:

Oh, and you can persuade TIM on Mars? As in the first actual mission of the game? What the gently caress? Pretty sure I never got that option.
You can try to persuade him, but you'll fail. To give it a go, you need to select the left-hand dialogue option (the "investigate" type choice) when you first talk to him.

e:fb (mostly)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Zedd posted:

Alliance navy picking order.

Udina
Ashley's Remains
The worms in the dirt
The Dirt
Mortals
Hackett
Anderson
Shepard
I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to read this list from top to bottom or from bottom to top.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Scuzzywuffit posted:

The little window pops up in the right hand corner, but after you do a bunch of missions you can't just pull up your codex and see which things you've gathered anymore. The notification pops up for a second or two and then there's just no way to tell.
I know, the journal tracking is very badly done, but as I said you can just approach it like an MMO - don't bother reading anything, just go to each system, 100% it, then go back to the Citadel and consult the map/run around to see who can be clicked on.

quote:

And the Grissom Academy and Tuchanka bomb quests are on secret timers -- if you wait too long to do them, you fail.
This I did not know, actually. I'm assuming that the "timer" is actually a check based on the number of missions you've done since the mission became available?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

You get that notification pop-up for a few seconds, yes, but in the previous games your journal entry was actually updated. That was much better than the lovely little popup that they give you now. And yeah, I was talking about that point of no return. A little bit of a heads up would have been nice, because I lost 6 hours of game time making up those quests. Also, the secret timers that someone beat me to. Fortunately I managed to beat those.
I'm not disputing any of this, I'm just saying that they are mainly an inconvenience the first time round, and then primarily if you're a completionist. ME1 and ME2 had similar problems, which become largely irrelevant after the first playthrough, when you know how everything works and what to expect. I wholly agree that not creating updated journal entries is an inexplicable design decision, and that the player deserves some forewarning of the mid-game point of no return and a heads-up on the time restrictions placed on certain N7 missions. Even so, you really don't need detailed journal tracking, and once you're aware of those pitfalls, they're easy enough to avoid.

In other words: this stuff is evidence of poor decisions on the designers' part, but there's plenty of those throughout the series and I think it's a bit unfair to make a big issue out of them unless you are equally critical about ME1 and ME2.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Aristobulus posted:

Gameplay wise I understood why they did it. In the beginning, they want to make sure you really do want your Shepard to romance Liara. It's just, if you say yes then, the paramour part should've been different. It just should've been a scene of them enjoying time together on the Citadel, and hell maybe it should've given you the paramour part all the way in the beginning if you say yes.

It's really nitpicking though because I'd be lying if I said I didn't absolutely love how much of the early/mid game especially, has lots of characters take notice of a Shep/Liara romance and how Shep and Liara even act like they are a couple even just in normal missions - like the Mars mission and such.
I thought all the cutscenes and bits of interactive dialogue were done very well, and it did feel like their relationship was properly established again from the very beginning of ME3, except for one thing: unless there's a cutscene/conversation waiting to be played out, her standard lines on the Normandy and on the Citadel never get any warmer or more intimate than "hello Shepard" or "it's good to see you again". Would it have been that hard to give her a few different lines if you're romancing her? Even a chipper "Hi Shepard!" would have been an improvement.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

tadashi posted:

I really like the buddy relationship with Garrus if you're a male Shep. It seems to be one of the best written relationship developments over the course of the series. The "special" hang between Garrus and Shepard about half way through the game especially rings true.
Garrus and Liara are probably my fave characters overall because of all the squadmates, they're by far Shepard's best friends. Especially in ME3, they seem like the two major pillars propping Shepard up again and again when the galaxy's got him/her down.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

dark_3y3 posted:

Like everyone else in this thread, I loved 98% of the game but that drat ending. I know some people like the 'indoctrination' angle, and it's a better theory than the crap we got. But the fact you confront the ILM just before the magic star kid kinda throws that out the window. It's also way to subtle for an RPG that has a 'no dialogue choices' gameplay option.
Now it all makes sense. Where there's ILM, there's George Lucas! My childhood adulthood, raped again!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

GruntyThrst posted:

One of the many life lessons I have learned is avoid sexual contact with people whose pants/skirt...thing defies physics.
I just don't really comprehend Allers' outfit. It's like some peculiar sporty kind of plastic/leather dress with tremendous cleavage; why would a reporter - even a reporter like her - be wearing that on cam all the time? Aggravating though she might be, at least al-Jilani dresses modestly.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Synonamess Botch posted:

It has nothing to do with modesty and everything to do with practicality. She's a war correspondent. Shouldn't she have some sort of gear? Cargo pants? Any pants? Body armor? Anything besides a ridiculous latex dress?
In all fairness, she never comes along for the fights anyway, so there's little need for practicality. Wearing a uniform would be considerably more appropriate within the setting of a military ship, though.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

cbservo posted:

http://www.gamesradar.com/massage-your-eyes-sexy-good-mass-effect-3-portraits-imagine-fxs-special-game-art-issue/

This is some really, really good ME3 art. The Mordin, Zaaed, and Shepard ones are particularly well done.
It's great that that one Eastern European guy still furiously applies Photoshop's Sharpen filter a dozen times on each otherwise excellent picture he draws.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

etalian posted:

They know their fanbase especially with the whole Tali thing.
They're a bunch of pricks for actually showing a picture of Tali's face (even if it was a cheap as heck Photoshop).

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I'm going to butt in and ask a question that has probably been asked and answered a thousand times throughout the thread. What happened to the dialogue wheel? Half of the conversations in the game involve you going up to someone, clicking, and you having to sit there while Shep and someone else have a long drawn out conversation. No input from the player whatsoever. I double checked my settings to make sure I didn't have it set to the cinematic mode or whatever, but nope it is set so that I have full control over conversations.

A good example is Traynor. When you talk to her there is no dialogue wheel, whereas whenever you went up and talked to Chambers in ME2 it brought up the dialogue wheel/conversation mode. I miss this. :smith:
In addition to what Aristobulus said:

It's definitely true that the dialogue wheel seems a lot rarer and typically less extensive than in the previous games. However, I don't think you're always really losing out on anything that matters. In Traynor's case, you get the chance of questioning her just as extensively as you did Kelly the first time you meet her - the only difference is that those options aren't redundantly made available again and again whenever you talk to her. If Kelly had anything new to report, she usually did so without Shepard explicitly prompting her; if you were lucky, there'd be one or two things you could then say in reply. Other than that, was there ever really any purpose to letting you rehash the old questions more than once? They've streamlined this in ME3, and though it feels a little odd given prior experience with ME1 and ME2, I don't really begrudge that design decision. There's still opportunities for proper interaction with Traynor, as with all the other characters on the Normandy, it's just that they're tied to certain events/stages in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Javik's having to come to terms with the "young" races being dominant was pretty moving. The voice actor playing him did an excellent job of conveying his personality. His comment about the "lizard people" was especially funny.
His delivery of the line "They used to eat flies.", as well as the stage direction, is just sublime.

Anyway, entirely unrelated to any of this, I'm just wondering: am I the only one here who misses the film grain? I always had it enabled in ME1 and ME2, and ME3 just looks slightly too clean without I think. Why can't we have nice utterly trivial things? :smith:

• Locked thread