Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I was thankful for my old tech 8's that have the little booties when I had to walk out 10 miles. I tried walking a mile in gear, said gently caress that, and stashed my one piece and boots a little off trail,walked out in booties and compression shorts, and retrieved them the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Another 33 miles/ 2 hours at Brown's camp yesterday. Trails are a little bit more exciting after the atmospheric river coming through all week.
Trail riding uses so much less gas than dunes.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Any opinions on good skid plates?

My kid busted the flywheel cover on his KLX300R last weekend falling on a rock.
(He's got a skid plate but I had not yet installed it after dune season)

My KX250 has no protection at all. There's the OEM KX250X "plate" that's really just a plastic grid covering only the bottom of the engine.
On the other end of the spectrum are the almost fully enclosing plates, either metal or plastic. Those are expensive and I guess they impede engine cooling which would be a bad thing on this bike that already runs hot.

I don't really ride over rocks that are tall enough to touch the engine. The use case is probably falling over and smashing something on the side, like water pump, flywheel or clutch cover.

I need to get one for a KLX140 as well and I think I'm going all out with that one as it sits so close to the ground.

Opinions?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

My KX250 has no protection at all. There's the OEM KX250X "plate" that's really just a plastic grid covering only the bottom of the engine.
On the other end of the spectrum are the almost fully enclosing plates, either metal or plastic. Those are expensive and I guess they impede engine cooling which would be a bad thing on this bike that already runs hot.

I don't really ride over rocks that are tall enough to touch the engine. The use case is probably falling over and smashing something on the side, like water pump, flywheel or clutch cover.

I need to get one for a KLX140 as well and I think I'm going all out with that one as it sits so close to the ground.

Opinions?

Do you care about weight? The plastic ones are very good now so
I’d look at one of those that has the kind of flarey wings that cover the sides a bit too (compare this one no wings https://enduroeng.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=151462 with this one with the wings I’m talking about https://enduroeng.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=151467) For falling over and smashing the side isn’t that a clutch cover protector?

Anyway, I like the EE ones but I don’t know if they make them for your bike.

Maybe something like this one. https://flatlandracing.com/products/24-98-skid-plate-for-2009-2023-kawasaki-klx-140-140l-140g

builds character fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 19, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also the ones that completely cup and cover your engine, aside from holding heat, reflect every single decibel back up at your face, which can make riding more tiring and distracting.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

TotalLossBrain posted:

Opinions?

I pretty much only use enduro engineering for the past couple bikes

it's pretty sweet, protects the water pump and has a little lip to guard the foot peg mounts too
Extreme Skidplate KTM/Husqvarna 24-116X

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I was looking at that one earlier today

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
New skid plates are on and have two rides/ 4.5 hours on them. Our trail riding is getting better, faster, and "flowier". PNW conditions are definitely in fall territory. 40-50 degrees and mud and puddles everywhere.

A cleanup from a day in the dunes was just some compressed air. Mud cleanup takes a bit longer.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
aww, enduro engineering doesnt make a skidplate for my crf230L

that's probably reasonable lol

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
What's a good dirt bike (likely used as all hell) for just goofing off in trails meant for utvs and ATVs? I'm thinking I might try and look into getting one over the winter to take out with my family when they go out on the side by side. Just don't know where to start and don't want to spend money on something way overpowered, but also not on something that's actually a kids bike.

And a dirt bike may be safer for me physically then getting an ATV that I will flip. Because I drat near almost killed myself last time out on the fourtraxx that's old enough to drink :v: drat things fun but no 4 wheel drive and the fact it's a sports ATV from 1999 is a big risk factor. And it beat me to goddamn hell

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yamaha TTR series
Kawasaki KLX series
Honda CRFs that are air cooled and smaller than 250

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The crf is the most annoying naming scheme. But they make great bikes.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Chinese bikes have come a long ways and are fine for beginner / play bikes. YCF, SSR, Kayo are all cheap and basically clones of honda. Worth considering if the used market is dry or overpriced.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 22, 2023

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
My son started on a Yamaha ttr 230 that is just about perfect for this. It was meant to be a stepping stone bike but we kept it for doinking around and for friends to ride.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i fuckin love my CRF230L. they only made em for two years and I get why, it's old tech (aircooled, carbed. electric start tho) and was probably a hassle to get to pass CA emissions. 14hp, a very forgiving clutch, and a low seat height, but enough gearing to do fine on 55mph roads.

they also made a supermoto version which is probably even more fun, but i haven't been able to ride one

Joey_Redd
Jun 12, 2008
I have an old 1997 klx 250r it’s a fun trail bike but I want to overhaul it and convert it to be a dual sport. But I guess my question here is I want to upgrade the suspension some Öhlins forks and a shock but how would I go about getting the triple tree to work with larger more modern forks, and what shock would work best for a klx 250?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Joey_Redd posted:

I have an old 1997 klx 250r it’s a fun trail bike but I want to overhaul it and convert it to be a dual sport. But I guess my question here is I want to upgrade the suspension some Öhlins forks and a shock but how would I go about getting the triple tree to work with larger more modern forks, and what shock would work best for a klx 250?

I put KX forks on a KDX back in the day - I pressed the KDX steering stem into the KX trips and just used a KX front end. Shock is much harder though - clearance is tight.

Joey_Redd
Jun 12, 2008

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I put KX forks on a KDX back in the day - I pressed the KDX steering stem into the KX trips and just used a KX front end. Shock is much harder though - clearance is tight.

Yeah I was thinking of going this route as well. I guess that will be the plan then

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Benefits of having a track include winter xc skiing. Lots of trees down unfortunately.

https://i.imgur.com/5Brihqm.mp4

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

what's up, dirtbike bros? do dual sports count?

tried to have a snow day down here in trailerparkansas. gave it the beans for two good laps around the yard, then dumped it over cutting donuts on an icy spot and now she won't start. probably flooded and/or it's cold as heck out there. that's future me's problem, though. at least i got to play a little. glad i didn't make the journey to my usual dirt roads!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

it better, i have a crf230L

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I will accept any bike that has spent time in non DOT knobbies.

To achieve status, the thread requires posting your W-2, a pic of the knobbies, and a crash photo.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I will accept any bike that has spent time in non DOT knobbies.

To achieve status, the thread requires posting your W-2, a pic of the knobbies, and a crash photo.

i definitely needed some knobbies yesterday. crash photo is on my onlyfans.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

why would i put non dot tires on a dual sport. i didnt get a dual sport to trailer it everywhere

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

why would i put non dot tires on a dual sport. i didnt get a dual sport to trailer it everywhere

The DOT is actually just a conspiracy. It can be ignored.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So Triumph is getting into the dirt bike game?

Link to story

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah, at least MX. I think Ducati is also supposed to be making an MX bike?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

The DOT is actually just a conspiracy. It can be ignored.

safely as in i wont get a ticket, or safely as in i wont have a blowout on the freeway

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

So Triumph is getting into the dirt bike game?

Link to story

Racing 250E in SX in a few weeks.

Beta made the main on saturday.

Ducati in MXGP this year and in US next year (this isn't confirmed)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Racing 250E in SX in a few weeks.

Beta made the main on saturday.

Ducati in MXGP this year and in US next year (this isn't confirmed)

Who is on the factory team for Triumph?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

500excf type r posted:

Who is on the factory team for Triumph?

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/ama-supercross-triumph-announces-2024-rider-lineup/

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

safely as in i wont get a ticket, or safely as in i wont have a blowout on the freeway

Both

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
First dunes ride of the year yesterday! Me and one of my kids headed to Spinreel in the Oregon dunes near Coos Bay.
Drive 168 miles, get bikes off the trailer and started, and the KLX300 shuts off after half a minute of running. We looked at each other knowing this hadn't happened in the two years of ownership prior.

Mmmhhh no fuel pump sounds

The culprit:

A $38 relay. There are two of them, one for the starter and one for the pump. I tried push starting it but that wasn't happening on flat ground and I really didnt want to risk that in soft sand.
Took turns on the KX instead. Still 2 hours on the engine and around 40 miles

Bonus vintage Pizza Hut in disguise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
We stopped at that A&W this last Sunday after another trip to Spinreel.
Can confirm it's very good food!

Both bikes worked, sort of. The 300 still had issues