Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

UFS207 posted:

2001 KX125 with a KDX220 motor swap

How do you like the hybrid? I have a beat up KDX200 and have been toying with the idea of building a hybrid. Going to be that or a KTM 200 I think.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The GasGas had the worst set-up suspension out of the box I've ever ridden. Really.

Good thing then I always get a respring and revalve. The motor is epic, the chassis is pliable. I love the machine. The Six Days model came with a skid plate and radiator guards which is pretty awesome.

All in all, it's a bit bigger than the 09 KTM 200XCW it replaced, but a bit lighter. The motor is better. The rest is about the same.

UFS207
Oct 29, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

How do you like the hybrid? I have a beat up KDX200 and have been toying with the idea of building a hybrid. Going to be that or a KTM 200 I think.

I'm enjoying it. You lose close to 15lbs going with a '99 to '02 KX125 chassis, have a lower center of gravity and gain a stiffer frame with infinitely better suspension (after revalving and respringing). I did a fork swap on my KDX220 a couple years before building the hybrid (46mm KYB's off a '01 CR125) and even then the hybrid was noticeably more stable everywhere and easier to toss around. Another plus is you can set the clickers on the stiff side and still have fun on a motocross track.

I'm not too sure how much sense it makes to build one any more considering how good the modern euro-smokers are now though. I really liked my KDX, managed to score a cheap, blown-up KX125 and had free access to all the equipment needed (work in a machine shop) so it made sense to me personally.

lovely cell phone pic of my hybrid (ignore the stock KDX silencer):

VTNewb posted:

The GasGas had the worst set-up suspension out of the box I've ever ridden. Really.

Thanks for the info. Would the standard EC 250 model be any better stock? From what I understand it comes with sachs front and rear while the sixdays 200-300 comes with 45mm Marzocchi's and an Öhlins shock. If I was to drop the cash on a brandnew bike it would be quite sometime before I was forking out $700-$1000 to rework the suspension.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How much custom machine work was involved in the swap?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

How much custom machine work was involved in the swap?

Guide I've looked at a few times - http://onlytrailbikes.com/2011/07/20/kdx200-kx125-hybrid-build-how-to/

Nothing too major but some welding, cutting and making things fit. If you had the tools and space it seems pretty straight forward.

The more I consider doing it the more time I spend on craigslist looking for a ktm 200

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Guide I've looked at a few times - http://onlytrailbikes.com/2011/07/20/kdx200-kx125-hybrid-build-how-to/

Nothing too major but some welding, cutting and making things fit. If you had the tools and space it seems pretty straight forward.

The more I consider doing it the more time I spend on craigslist looking for a ktm 200

Yeah if I could find a KX for cheap and a KDX for cheap I'd do it for sure. We'll see how things go.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Z3n posted:

Yeah if I could find a KX for cheap and a KDX for cheap I'd do it for sure. We'll see how things go.
I am guessing the KDX motor produces manageable power? And the KX 125 has a nice frame and suspension?

It sounds like a nice combo but unless you get both very cheap it does not really make sense to me. In my area at least KX 250s are more common than KDXs and have similar prices. When I was shopping for a dirtbike I searched for both KDXs and KXs and found a KX 250 to be a much better deal. I would get a KX 250 and add a flywheel weight and different pipe to it before I would go about making a hybrid, but I guess it depends on what kind of bikes are available in your market.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The Desert 100 is this weekend! Two 50 mile laps through eastern Washington, and we're scheduled for rain and a little bit of snow :v:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

The Desert 100 is this weekend! Two 50 mile laps through eastern Washington, and we're scheduled for rain and a little bit of snow :v:

How'd it go Gullous?

Got access to my old hare scramble track back. It's about 9 miles long. About 10 minutes after I showed up none other than NETRA AA #1 and #12 showed up. They were incredibly quick. At my very best they cought up to me after 1 lap and I had a quarter mile head start.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Hey, you take that thing off any sweet jumps lately? :D

First time out on an MX track, was really fun actually. This is a small little track that doesn't get a lot of traffic also is really good for beginners, lots of table tops.

My first time out I only did three laps due to :eek: and also death gripping the bars due to all the new stuff I was encountering. Such as JUMPS! I haven't really ever jumped a dirt bike so getting air(probably 6 inches or so) my first time out I was definitely going "WHOA THAT'S NUUUUTTTSSS" and had to take a quick break.

The track:

It basically just zig zagged with a bunch of hair pin turns and a lot of jumps. For the first part of the day I just putted around in second. By the end of the day I was cracking it up into third in a few spots.

Buddy getting some air, I took the pic too early.

My bike is set up for woods riding/single track/enduro type stuff. But that's ok, not like I was rocking triples or anything. The great thing about riding around on an MX track is it's repetitive. So you can practice various things such as plowing through turns and throttle control and jumps and mudholes and just TONS of stuff.

The most crowded my friend has seen the track.

One of my things was turns, and learning to slide the rear and the front. I actually almost highside trying to rip through a turn, I lost the front and when it caught it shot me back the other direction and the rear caught as well but I pulled it out. Also I definitely nose dived some jumps as well as had the front wheel WAY to high after launching off a few. Mostly just learning how to approach the jumps and what to do with the throttle. My only thing is that when I have a spooked out moment like the front being way the hell up in the air on a jump or getting really squirrelled through a turn I get lockbars(grip the bars really hard making your hands cramp) for a bit. I'll probably get over that though with experience.

There is also a natural spring right by the track which is great for cooling off. As well as on the other side a river that you can cool off in as well.

My Buddy's kid Zach, little homie is a MONSTER on an MX track.

Only bummer was it got dusty after a bit.

River in the back 40 of the track. It was way up high due to rain so we had to walk back there and cross a few places. Was super cool and yes I brought a few fishing poles and rolled back there with one once but nada biting.

Creek/river

Steve and Zach water crossing. IT WAS COLD. Also dirt boots turn into concrete blocks on your feet when you get them soaked.

River crossing.

Anyhow, was an awesome track, I didn't clear any table tops or do any doubles. I did get fast enough that on the small doubles part I was landing at the bottom of the next double instead of in the middle totally throwing myself off. Talking with my Buddy he advised "Yeah, you get to a point where you have to go faster or slow back down". Makes sense. Going to have to sack up probably next time I'm out to make it through that section.

Also got to ride closer to some actual fast guys. One guy hit a table top same time I did, I was roughly 1 foot in the air on it and he was flying at about shoulder height to me. I was like "HOLY poo poo THAT'S AWESOME" and I think he thought I was yelling at him or something. Whoops. Also I think the same guy was cutting the course a bit short through the place that didn't have any jumps so all of the sudden BAM he was right on my left, I flipped and hit the brakes right as he said "Keep going I'm watching you" but it was too late and he had to brake too and fell over. Oops, newb part on me. My other buddy there was kinda pissed at them for doing that though as apparently to him they weren't giving way when re-entering the track after cutting or something. Ah well.

Anyhow, it owned and I took my KTM off some SWEET jumps bros.

:cheers:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

How'd it go Gullous?

Got access to my old hare scramble track back. It's about 9 miles long. About 10 minutes after I showed up none other than NETRA AA #1 and #12 showed up. They were incredibly quick. At my very best they cought up to me after 1 lap and I had a quarter mile head start.

It was intense! I really enjoyed the riding, but the 690 called it quits 40 miles in. It threw a limp code on the dash, we'll see. I was really upset, they ran an adventure class this year (652cc and above) and I was in the lead! Granted there were only 5 of us ( three finished, and a 990 went in the river!

I was really happy with my riding, reflecting on last year. Im still sore and blistered, but I was carrying a lot more speed this time around. I was duking it out with a dude and he highsided really hard, going unconscious. He was breathing and others offered to stay with him, so I rode to the next checkpoint. Lots of wrecks, I heard someone was airlifted with a broken neck :smith:

Ill post video when I get home.

Thats cool about your HS track. The speed carried by the top guys is insane. The fitness too...

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

Anyhow, it owned and I took my KTM off some SWEET jumps bros.

:cheers:

So what's your opinion of dirt so far? Would you recommend to others? For everyone?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gullous posted:

It was intense!

This man speaks modestly. I'm in awe of how much you've improved in the last year and the pace you are able to carry on that beast. My 250F whips me around in the dirt and rocks and makes me want to back off and ahead of me I can see you just blasting through gnarly terrain, laying down all 65 horsepower. It's an awesome sight!

I have no doubt you were on your way to podium before the Katoom went kaboom.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

It was intense! I really enjoyed the riding, but the 690 called it quits 40 miles in. It threw a limp code on the dash, we'll see. I was really upset, they ran an adventure class this year (652cc and above) and I was in the lead! Granted there were only 5 of us ( three finished, and a 990 went in the river!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo when are you getting a real dirtbike?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Soon I hope! $1500 for a 10 year old 2T 250 sounds appealing... Hopefully this Summer.

When I say intense I was including the weather. Camping for two days in the wet, sub 30F weather was really rough. No snow, luckily.

Intense also describes recovering my bike. Spiffness had to tow a trailer down a long primitive road up to the edge of the course. Two of us towed my bike back while Spiffness and his GF helped like 4 riders with gas, tools, water, and beer. THis was around the last 10 miles of the 100 mile group, and they looked destroyed. Just limping down the trail...

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

VTNewb posted:

So what's your opinion of dirt so far? Would you recommend to others? For everyone?

I think it's awesome. :) Would definitely recommend it to others. The variety of terrain I have ridden has been pretty awesome and I've only been riding about 3 months. It's also kind of cool(I'm sure track guys will sympathize) to just unload and bam you're right where you are going to ride. Vs. riding highways for an hour to get to the twisty parts.

I'm not looking to sell my street bike or anything, but dirt has definitely been rad. Now I just gotta start working on my backflip so I can gather up them hoes and get my crew together ROCK N ROLL EXTREEEMMMMEEEE brap.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Gullous posted:

Soon I hope! $1500 for a 10 year old 2T 250 sounds appealing... Hopefully this Summer.

When I say intense I was including the weather. Camping for two days in the wet, sub 30F weather was really rough. No snow, luckily.

Intense also describes recovering my bike. Spiffness had to tow a trailer down a long primitive road up to the edge of the course. Two of us towed my bike back while Spiffness and his GF helped like 4 riders with gas, tools, water, and beer. THis was around the last 10 miles of the 100 mile group, and they looked destroyed. Just limping down the trail...

Shoulda bought my YZ when I was selling it.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Here is footage from the D100 Start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YDiVmqvH8g

Not much action here besides the start. I'm uploading two more with a crash and some cooler terrain

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Two short videos from this weekend, riding some single track behind Zool and his bran new to him, mostly new to the world 2012 SXF 250

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrIx2SHyIsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd7W8UBGqwU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I took some videos yesterday but because I'm hella dumb they were too long and need to be re-uploaded. Anyone know of free video editing software that isn't the windows stuff?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
How much can I get for a 98 yz125 with fresh rebuild?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

invision posted:

How much can I get for a 98 yz125 with fresh rebuild?

Around here (Seattle area) $1600-1800 tops

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Spiffness posted:

Around here (Seattle area) $1600-1800 tops

Awesome.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So if you want to be cool and fast don't record your gopro vid from your last lap when you're exhausted. I actually cut the course because I didn't want to try the rocks with my claw hands. Regardless, part 1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeti1ORQ9PE

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/2963172941.html

Just like the title states 2005 yz 450 f Everything is straight on the bike and rides as it should I just can't seem to get the bike to idle right It runs and rides perfectly but when you pull in the clutch it dies Just need it gone $1300 obo

I hope to take a look at this ASAP. Thoughts? Probably just a carb issue, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If it doesn't make terrible noises when it's running, yeah, probably just a badly clogged carb.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Or it's ready to explode! I'd feel much better buying a used two smoke than a 4t.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
At that price I could part it out, or make a sumo or whatever.

Think its worth checking compression? What else, besides noise? Smoke upon acceleration/decel? What is the risk with a used 4T, valve train abuse? I imagine compression and a "is it making grinding noises" check would be enough.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Think its worth checking compression? What else, besides noise? Smoke upon acceleration/decel? What is the risk with a used 4T, valve train abuse? I imagine compression and a "is it making grinding noises" check would be enough.

It's always worth it to check compression, but I've never bothered. Could be a clogged jet, if its hard starting as well the valves might be out of adjustment. Go get it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gullous posted:

Yeah but for that price even if it's poo poo you should be able to come out ahead with a fresh engine.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
Here's a quick video of the first segment of trail on a ride I did last weekend.
http://youtu.be/_fcI-52B4tQ

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I don't know anything about 2t's except now I own one and gettin on the pipe is like "woah" except theres no engine braking and just no brakes at all right now so that was kinda scary.

Also I'm a bad dirtbike bro, I spent my evening turning around at "no trespassing" signs and following all the rules of the road.

invision fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 19, 2012

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Hooray 2t buddy

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

yeah 2t are a blast and when you do get back on a 4t it just seems to change they way it feels for awhile (not in a bad way)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Welcome to the smoker side

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

yeah 2t are a blast and when you do get back on a 4t it just seems to change they way it feels for awhile (not in a bad way)

Yeah I putted around on it for 45 minutes, then got on my SV and it felt... weird. I guess a lot of that is i don't know how to predict when the YZ is getting on the pipe so it just scares the poo poo out of me, and the SV is this docile little v-twin... its so cute :3:

e:and by "docile" I mean "completely sane and something that a normal person without a deathwish would ride

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I feel weird being so messed up over the death of an inanimate object, but I have had this CR250 since it was new in 01. While only the frame was original I feel like the bike had a soul. Saturday 4 hours after the 14+th rebuild(6th bottom end) it grenaded on me. $1200 will have me up and running again, but I feel like it has given up as problems have begun to come more frequently. I pulled everything off the frame except for the case and tossed it in a hole under a new track section I am building. Yes I buried a bike.

Ive owned many objectively ‘better’ new bikes these last 11 years but this CR was always the one I loved the most. I can't imagine being stuck with any of the nice bikes I have now for another 11 years.

Has anyone else had a bike they were emotionally and financially attached to because they decided to keep it a decade past its prime? I imagine I am alone in feeling this way about a 'disposable' mx bike.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

FLAMEZZZ

e: yeah those are excel rims :snoop:

invision fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 19, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Tape Leg posted:

Here's a quick video of the first segment of trail on a ride I did last weekend.
http://youtu.be/_fcI-52B4tQ

You take great lines in the rough stuff, you just hop over the worst of it. The elevation looks really fun, too. One of these days...

It looks pretty smooth along the ridge. Are there any switchbacks going down the hill?

quote:

Has anyone else had a bike they were emotionally and financially attached to because they decided to keep it a decade past its prime? I imagine I am alone in feeling this way about a 'disposable' mx bike.

I sold my big wheel yz80 to get a ninja250. I was eager to ride street, but I regret the sale to some degree. Despite how loud it was, it was the best way to go grab the mail :v: I miss it...

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

2T's are like crack. It's an addicting feeling. Yoy get used to it after awhile, then you constantly want more and more.

CR500's and other big bore 2Ts are how we overdose. The first hit even tells you to get the gently caress away, but you just can't loving help it.

Welcome to the dark, smoky side of life.