Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tehk posted:

Has anyone else had a bike they were emotionally and financially attached to because they decided to keep it a decade past its prime? I imagine I am alone in feeling this way about a 'disposable' mx bike.

Yes, I feel this way about my RV90. I will never sell it. I've sunk tons of money into it for essentially no reason other than I love it. I bought a $400 ignition for it, and the guy from the ignition company told me I'm the first person in the US to buy one for an RV90. I'm that crazy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.

Gullous posted:

You take great lines in the rough stuff, you just hop over the worst of it. The elevation looks really fun, too. One of these days...

It looks pretty smooth along the ridge. Are there any switchbacks going down the hill?

Thanks! I'm of the mind that line choice is more important than out right speed most of the time. If I can stay out of nasty stuff I will, but I think it's also good to be willing to just confront a large obstacle and go right over it. This works really well in big rock gardens. You can pick a smooth line for a while but if you see a kink in it because of a good sized rock or something, it's usually easier just to hop over that obstacle and continue on your line rather than to risk the front wheel disruption of turning around them.

The place I'm riding at is kind of different than most of the riding we have around this area. There are two mountain ranges, the Sierra Nevadas and the coastal range. The coastal range is much smaller getting to a maximum of something like 6k feet whereas the Sierras get up to 12k or so. This place is in the coastal range. There is much more erosion, ruts and nasty bushes that like to stab you here. The 'trail' I'm on just sort of cruises along the road and then later on there's a bunch of things dropping down into canyons. There is one huge nasty loop out there that's about 16 miles of all first/second gear with about a million and one switch backs. It's really fun but it will beat the piss out of you.

But anyway, if you ever make it down to California out of your overly wet state, I'd be more than happy to show you some awesome places here.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
So the PO has the YZ jetted all kinds of hosed up, so it only wants to run with the choke on. I managed to get it going for a little while earlier without the choke and holy mother of god when it hits the powerband it's loving outrageous. This thing is insane, and it's only a 125.

Bled the brakes, and that helped a little (but not a lot, gonna re-do it later.)
Adjusted clutch cable
Fixed the shift lever to keep it from falling off.

Looks like I might have a leaky fork seal.

When it kills me, first person to find the bike can keep it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

invision posted:

Bled the brakes, and that helped a little (but not a lot, gonna re-do it later.)
I have an 01, I've repeatedly bled the brakes, changed lines, MC, and caliper. I could never get a decent feel in the lever.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

LOL the engine just seized. It went "crackle crackle" then died now the kickstart wont move.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

invision posted:

LOL the engine just seized. It went "crackle crackle" then died now the kickstart wont move.

Did you ring it out while it was cold?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

invision posted:

Fun!! Thats probably a bearing seize in the lower end

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
"Fresh Rebuild"
lol

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Every dirt bike on craigslist has had a 'fresh rebuild'.

Have fun in there! at least they're simple bikes.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Every dirt bike on craigslist has had a 'fresh rebuild'.

Have fun in there! at least they're simple bikes.

Exactly, oh gently caress a bunch of metal came out when I changed the oil... For Sale Fresh Rebuild!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Zool posted:

Exactly, oh gently caress a bunch of metal came out when I changed the oil... For Sale Fresh Rebuild!

Pretty sure I cold seized it. I'm a massive retard.
I'll start tearing it down later. ugh.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That's a lovely lesson :smith: At least you don't have to deal with a valve train, and you'll have a truly fresh rebuild!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

So how much is this gonna cost me

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

THIS YZ125 IS SO SCARY FAST
*BOOM*

hehehe

Sorry mang :( Short answer: Not a life savings worth, but more than you want.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
From the scoring on the piston, I'm guessing the cylinder doesn't look so good either?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bikes always run the best just before they blow up.

Now that you have the piston off, does the crank move freely?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Bikes always run the best just before they blow up.

Now that you have the piston off, does the crank move freely?

And if it does, are the crack or the con rod bearings shot?

To test the con rod bearings pull on the connecting rod. It can wiggle side to side but should have zero up and down play.

Taking the left side cover off and wiggle the almost non existant flywheel. If it can wiggle up and down your con rod bearings are blown.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I have minimal experience in engine overhauls, but isn't the mentality "replace all wear items when you're in there?

Would it be excessive to replace all the lower bearings? Is there a concern of debris mucking up the bottom end?

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
State: Rhode Island (and environs)
Riding: Usually commuting, long riding/camping vacations, weekend "drop-o-ramas"
Bike: for dirt - Honda XL600V Transalp or CT90 for putting around.
Terrain: Whatever comes next whether I like it or not. I don't really do totally "dirt" unless I get dragged into certain situations. I don't mind anything except deep sand and large babyheads - and that's usually because I'm on a fully loaded "big" bike trying to get somewhere.

Anyway, if any of you are around CT/RI/MA today starts the first Pachaug Camp-n-Ride of the year at Mt Misery Campground near Voluntown, CT. Pachaug has a crazy enduro loop (that I've only done a couple sections of on my TA) along with nice dirt forest roads and rural paved roads. We like to camp so it's a great opportunity to hang out with a bunch of welcoming people and ride whatever ride you want (as long as it's legal).

A map of the enduro loop for anyone interested http://www.blackibags.com/serve/pachaug_enduro,_edited.pdf

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

I have minimal experience in engine overhauls, but isn't the mentality "replace all wear items when you're in there?

Would it be excessive to replace all the lower bearings? Is there a concern of debris mucking up the bottom end?

I've actually never replaced a bottom end. Never was necessary.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

VTNewb posted:

And if it does, are the crack or the con rod bearings shot?

To test the con rod bearings pull on the connecting rod. It can wiggle side to side but should have zero up and down play.

Taking the left side cover off and wiggle the almost non existant flywheel. If it can wiggle up and down your con rod bearings are blown.

It seems like the bottom end is fine. I didn't take the left cover off, but I did the "pull on the con rod test" and it passed. Should that be sufficient?

Also tell me a good way to get piston pieces out of the engine without splitting the case.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

invision posted:

It seems like the bottom end is fine. I didn't take the left cover off, but I did the "pull on the con rod test" and it passed. Should that be sufficient?

Also tell me a good way to get piston pieces out of the engine without splitting the case.

I got a circlip I dropped in their out by filling the bottom end with premixed gasoline and turning it upside down. Came out with the gas.

EDIT: Now might be the time to do a YZ144 kit? Get it ported for more bottom end? It would probably cost only marginally more than replacing what you have?

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 20, 2012

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
So, most of the races and whatnot around here have 40+ divisions. Yes, this year I'll be turning 40(*sigh*), so thinking well I might enter a few of those too, who knows. Then I see this vid of the 40+ OCCRA race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg87UdoFnic

gently caress you 40+ division. I'll stay in beginner or amateur. eeeesh.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
No matter what class you're racing, the guys at the front are loving fast.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.

Silver posted:

So, most of the races and whatnot around here have 40+ divisions. Yes, this year I'll be turning 40(*sigh*), so thinking well I might enter a few of those too, who knows. Then I see this vid of the 40+ OCCRA race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg87UdoFnic

gently caress you 40+ division. I'll stay in beginner or amateur. eeeesh.

Thing about 40+ is that it's filled with a bunch of dudes that have been racing their whole life. They may be old, but they still know how to ride loving fast.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Open C is full of newbs (me), but like Z3n said, there are always fast guys. In the harescramble format, everyone is on the course, so class only matters for the start and points. Once you're out there you'll end up paced against people your own speed .

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 23, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cross posted from CP&V

I think this is the one time quads have the leg up on bikes. The quads just walk through that stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInmJ2WeBEM&feature=related

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Cross posted from CP&V

I think this is the one time quads have the leg up on bikes. The quads just walk through that stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInmJ2WeBEM&feature=related

This is from a ride of mine a few months back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p7kGvLnu3s&t=9m5s

invision
Mar 2, 2009

So, according to Eric Gorr, the cracked piston skirt means that there was too much clearance between the cylinder and the piston. The "rattling" noise should've given this away, but I just assumed it was normal because I don't know anything about 2t's.

So it was only kind of my fault.

Hopefully this guy buys my boat this week so I can get this crap shipped off and fixed. It looks so sad, sitting in the garage staring at it's little TT-R 125 brother, both broken and in pieces.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

invision posted:

Hopefully this guy buys my boat this week so I can get this crap shipped off and fixed. It looks so sad, sitting in the garage staring at it's little TT-R 125 brother, both broken and in pieces.

How's that TTR project going? I saw it posted somewhere else, but don't remember what was wrong with it. They're crazy easy to get running.

Contributing to thread: I've currently got 5 bikes and 3 of them are not running or in total pieces :negative: Luckily Honda XR's are bomb proof.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I am looking for some opinions on which pre08 250f has the most lowend grunt? My brother will be running my hybrid atv chassis in the youth 200/300 mod class this year, but I don't know enough about the 250Fs to choose a donor bike/motor. Our only real constrains are left side drive and it can't be a dual exhaust system like the CRFs since we trying to save cash and run stock exhaust if we can route it.

edit: Trying to go Japanese preferably. KTM motors seem to get a pretty penny on ebay.

tehk fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 27, 2012

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

tehk posted:

I am looking for some opinions on which pre08 250f has the most lowend grunt? My brother will be running my hybrid atv chassis in the youth 200/300 mod class this year, but I don't know enough about the 250Fs to choose a donor bike/motor. Our only real constrains are left side drive and it can't be a dual exhaust system like the CRFs since we trying to save cash and run stock exhaust if we can route it.

edit: Trying to go Japanese preferably. KTM motors seem to get a pretty penny on ebay.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/370/Motorcycle-Article/2007-250F-Motocross-Shootout.aspx

Looks like Kawasaki might be the way to go. What kind of racing?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Motocross only on this machine since it running 50 inches wide. It was my backup last year but I got rid of it in favor of a pair of production machines so I could run more classes.

Thanks for the link. KXf motors seem to be going cheap. Might be a good choice.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

velocross posted:

How's that TTR project going? I saw it posted somewhere else, but don't remember what was wrong with it. They're crazy easy to get running.

Contributing to thread: I've currently got 5 bikes and 3 of them are not running or in total pieces :negative: Luckily Honda XR's are bomb proof.

Another Texas goon? Awesome!

REALLY low compression and needs a new carb. I'm guessing rings and a carb and it'd be good to go.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
What up homies? I'm parting out my KLX/DRZ400 over here if ya all need anything: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785635

Or email thebecktastic at gmail

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Are you still riding dirt at all? Or getting out of it to ride that crappy SV everywhere?

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

invision posted:

Another Texas goon? Awesome!

REALLY low compression and needs a new carb. I'm guessing rings and a carb and it'd be good to go.

Howdy partner :clint: I reside in the town now called dfw, you?. Wait... how did you know I was from Texas? :tinfoil:

Really low compression? Rings at the minimum, also want to check your valves. The xr I'm rebuilding right had really low compression and ended up the valves were also shot...but it was a lot older than yours. Note to anyone looking to get a service manual for parts/rebuilds, don't get a Clymer. I see them at every shop, but spend the extra time/money to get the oem repair manual. Ktm, honda, and yamaha all have had good oem manuals so far.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Silver posted:

Are you still riding dirt at all? Or getting out of it to ride that crappy SV everywhere?

Right now I'm not riding anything. I got whomped by a car which took out the Zeb and had to sell the SV for a car to get me around...since riding around with an arm splint/cast is difficult/impossible/stupid. Since I have to wear this thing another month or so at least, before I can even start physical therapy and since I'm moving to Denver soon, I figured part out the wreckage now and get a new bike up there when I'm ready for it.

I can definitely see myself riding dirt again, if anything street will take me longer to reattempt. I believe, now more than ever, that all the drivers are out to get me. :ohdear:

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Yikes!!! Well, glad you made it out alive if not unbroken. :( Hope you heal up quick.

I was going to ride in a race today that they've had posted for months but got something or other in my eye and scratched it or something so it's been bugging me and I don't want to put a contact in it. My goggles aren't the kind you can wear with glasses so I skipped it. The other reason I skipped was because they've had this race posted for at least a month, no schedule at all. Even after multiple requests still no schedule. I know a couple of other riders that are skipping it now due to no schedule.

Bummer is my buddy who txted me asking where I was, I told him who all wasn't going now and promptly got a txt back with "You are all fags", and then let me know the schedule which actually sounds awesome. All classes running individually, 3 lap races. He's running in two classes. I'm sure that kind of setup would have gotten more riders out there, no idea why they just didn't post how it was going to be run and general times for starts. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Good luck with the recovery, Becktastic.

Silver, dirt bike events are notorious for lovely organization/communication. That crowd is less familiar with computers so you end up with lots of unknowns. You go onto thumpertalk and there are 20 posts asking for directions, times, etc.

Good luck with the race!