Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Saga posted:

Prepare to be hospitalized! (You will have a shitload of fun and also scare yourself shitless first, however.)

this is u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4XvYHn_b3M

lol no it's me, but it can be you. Buy gear. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

In what's probably not the wisest financial decision I've ever made, I traded my 94 Mustang GT for a 2008 KTM XC-F 250 today. Aside from putting around on my friend's old XR100 a few years ago, this will be my first motorcycle experience at all. I'm super excited/nervous/prepared to be hospitalized.

Excellent choice. I've had 2 of them (250 sx-f). Rebuilt one and the other was my personal bike. May want to look into a manual cam chain tensioner, but other than that they are super bikes.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

velocross posted:

Excellent choice. I've had 2 of them (250 sx-f). Rebuilt one and the other was my personal bike. May want to look into a manual cam chain tensioner, but other than that they are super bikes.

I feel like I made out pretty good. I'm pretty clueless on the mechanical side of things for now, but as far as I can tell the bike has been pretty well taken care of. I know the previous owner raced it and kept up with the maintenance really well, along with installing a few aftermarket parts. It has been ridden pretty hard, but isn't in bad shape at all.

Picture!

SchwarzeKrieg fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 26, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Silver posted:

this is u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4XvYHn_b3M

lol no it's me, but it can be you. Buy gear. :cheers:

Remember the indoor practice track where the dude's bike ends up in the roof? I think that's the more likely outcome.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I feel like I made out pretty good. I'm pretty clueless on the mechanical side of things for now, but as far as I can tell the bike has been pretty well taken care of. I know the previous owner raced it and kept up with the maintenance really well, along with installing a few aftermarket parts. It has been ridden pretty hard, but isn't in bad shape at all.

Looks like a decently clean bike. Definitely recommend a kick stand unless you want to find trees when you're out riding and have the bike accidentally fall over once in a while. Also if you intend on riding trails a skid plate would be a wise investment.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hey dirt goons, I had my first hit from the off-road crackpipe a couple of weeks ago on borrowed a KTM SXF 450, and now I want more.

A YZ450F just came up locally for what seems like a good price, how insane is it? I ride a 690 SMC day-to-day so I can deal with a 'spirited' bike, but am I going to die in a tangled mess of rocks, mud and shrubbery on this thing?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

\ but am I going to die in a tangled mess of rocks, mud and shrubbery on this thing?

Yes, but this is bike independant.

Also if you're riding offroad that bikes suspension (expensive) and gearing (cheap) will slap you in the balls. Otherwise it's gr8.

I always recommend folks get an offroad bike anyway (in this case WR450) if they can find one.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
It depends a lot on what you are planning on doing with it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Mostly loving about and tearing up some land I have use of this summer?

VTNewb posted:

Yes, but this is bike independant.

Also if you're riding offroad that bikes suspension (expensive) and gearing (cheap) will slap you in the balls. Otherwise it's gr8.

I always recommend folks get an offroad bike anyway (in this case WR450) if they can find one.

A WR would be better I know, but I've never even seen one round here, let alone for sale. I've heard I could get the WR gear set and swap it in without much fuss?

If I can knock it down a couple hundred from asking I'll probably yet the YZF, failing that I have leads on a XR600 and a Husky TE610 but both are a bit heavier than I wanted (and I'm consider just finding some Enduro forks/wheels for the 690 if it gets to that).

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
unless it's super super cheap I'd pass. I have an 09 yz450 and it was a pretty dumb choice to be honest. I wanted to get a 250 but couldn't find a shop willing to deal on them (wonder why... they're considerably more popular than the 450s for good reason!). The bike is overpowered for the dirt and my skill level, and it's heavy compared to more reasonably powered bikes.

Don't get me wrong it's an absolute riot to ride, it's just waaaaay too much bike. Us mere mortals can't really make use of the extra power, so why deal with the extra weight and slightly sluggier handling that comes along with it?

Now that it sounds like sumo trackdays are coming back to the area my yz is likely going to be converted, and I'll pick up a smaller woods 2t for putting around in the dirt :)

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
A YZ450 is a lot of bike. Much more than your average rider is ever going to utilize, let alone need. I suggest finding a 250. Depending on your skill level and what you intend on riding you may want to scale that back to a trail(ish) bike like a WR or a honda 250x or something. A moto bike is really excessive for general loving around. Just my two cents though. Tons of people do it anyway

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

450 4T bikes are the liter bikes of the offroad world. You really shouldn't be riding one as a beginner.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A friend of mine got a YZ450 as his first ride because he's a big dude and wanted to learn off road. I took it for an "easy" spin and it scared me shitless, an old 175 is thrilling enough for my capabilities... 30mph on dirt feels like 90mph on pavement to me.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you're not opposed to two-strokes, look for a used KDX. They're cheap and easy to find parts for, and they have plenty of power for screwing around in the woods.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DRZ E's and S's seem to go cheap all the time around here

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

450 4T bikes are the liter bikes of the offroad world. You really shouldn't be riding one as a beginner.

Can't tell if you're serious, its just a motorcycle after all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

Yeah bro, just like, clutch control and poo poo.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Zool posted:

I'd recommend a a literbike to a beginning street rider over a 450 MX bike to a beginning offroad rider.

Edit:
Hey Zool didn't your Husqy toss you to the moon a while back and bust you up. They're definitely beginner friendly.

Edit2:
Do you honestly believe that a 690 SMC for a beginner is anywhere near as bad as a literbike?

n8r fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 30, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Zool posted:

What?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Zool posted:

Ya because when he said your bike wasn't dangerous what he really meant was no bike is dangerous for a new rider. Stop being so butthurt.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Guys if anyone implies that a beginner could start out on any of the bikes I've owned in the past 10 years I'm gonna go around and troll your every post, GOT IT?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Everyone that I've talked to that has a YZ for woods riding, unless they are stupid fast, hasn't liked it and felt it held them back. Also the YZ, CRF###R, and SX bikes are going to come with a stiff suspension that you'll have to mod or really work on getting it set right. I'd look for a WR250/CRF250X/KTMXC/EXC/XC-W type bike that's pretty much ready for the woods vs. a bike that's ready for the track.

My 2 cents.

Rode this weekend at Hudson. Lots of wide open trails that circle back on each other. Was still good times. Still working on Stamina, after about 2-3 hours of riding I'm pretty wasted and done. Especially in 90 degree weather. Also no shade trees to park the trucks under. eesh.

Kicking around the idea of camping and doing Byrds this weekend after the cold front comes through. 800 acres of trails.

Pic from this weekend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You might have more endurance if you stopped smoking.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

n8r posted:

Or started cooking for yourself instead of playing tic tac toe with the pizza guy.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

n8r posted:

Truth! I'm on it. Need to quit drinking as well. :(

echomadman posted:

Or started cooking for yourself instead of playing tic tac toe with the pizza guy.

Hey! I played tic tac toe with the Jimmy John's guy too, sammichs are healthy!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Have I misread the last page, or is everyone saying liter bikes make a good first dirt bike?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-DuzXcQ4qM
:v:

I'd argue to consider the type of riding you'll be doing when choosing a first (any) bike. If you're riding dunes you can probably get away with a bigger bike. If there are motocross tracks available, consider a bike setup for track riding. Etc...

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

HNasty posted:

Ya because when he said your bike wasn't dangerous what he really meant was no bike is dangerous for a new rider. Stop being so butthurt.

I'm sure n8r doesn't need you white knighting for him.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Gullous posted:

Have I misread the last page, or is everyone saying liter bikes make a good first dirt bike?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-DuzXcQ4qM
:v:

I'd argue to consider the type of riding you'll be doing when choosing a first (any) bike. If you're riding dunes you can probably get away with a bigger bike. If there are motocross tracks available, consider a bike setup for track riding. Etc...

Hey remember when I told you your KTM was the offroad equivalent of a liter bike? Remember when you broke your wrist like a week later. That was funny.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
690: only dangerous offroad. On road it's a good beginner bike.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
KTM: Ready to argue

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Z3n posted:

690: only dangerous offroad. On road it's a good beginner bike.

I was told this ignored post was directed at me so I will respond.

You see if you had ridden offroad bikes only 1/10th the amount of time you spent posting about riding offroad you might realize something that is 70hp and 350lb is a not at all well suited for the task.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gullous posted:

KTM: Ready to argue
Kronreif Trunkenpolz :mad:tighofen

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Tape Leg posted:

A YZ450 is a lot of bike. Much more than your average rider is ever going to utilize, let alone need. I suggest finding a 250. Depending on your skill level and what you intend on riding you may want to scale that back to a trail(ish) bike like a WR or a honda 250x or something. A moto bike is really excessive for general loving around. Just my two cents though. Tons of people do it anyway

That's my feeling too RBL, but then I'm a big pussy.

I've done a bit of off-roading and owned a couple of KDXs (220 and a 250SR with a bit of a tune), plus my TY250, and I wouldn't even consider a competition-spec 450. I once borrowed a YZF250 at Golding Barn, which is not a tiny track, and it had more power than I could use. And I mean even on the loving straights.

That's just me o/c, but it seems like trying to both learn offroad technique and deal with the output (and weight) of a healthy 450 is asking to break multiple bones.

If I was buying another dirt bike (I've basically given up due to the lack of meaningful non MX track riding in the south) I would want a road-reg 250 4t or 125/150 2t (e.g. KTM 150XC) with an enduro setup. Most of our legal off road is narrow lanes (albeit I know you posted that you have land to ride on this year), frequently wooded and muddy, so using a big MX bike on them is sort of like riding a turbo 'busa around a minimoto track. Uncomfortable, scary and frustrating.

Like Deeters said, KDXs are frequently available cheap. They're more trail than MX though, so if you want to take it to the track, I'd look for something a bit lighter with a bit more suspension. You want the KDX200 rather than the 220 or the 250 however, as IIRC the 220 and 250 are both import-only, so your kwak dealer will just sneer at you if you need parts. The 200 and 220 are both known for doing massive road mileages/hours without a problem. Another worthy evergreen and candidate for doing 10,000 miles on one set of rings is the CRM250 - skinnier and lighter than the KDX, but decent ones attract a Honda premium.

See e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-HONDA-CRM-250-/160809517743

If you wanted to spend a bit more and have something that will just work, I'd just hunt down a five year old (or newer) WR250F with a V5.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I'm going to take a contrary position here, but first, I agree, no one should ride a moto X bike unless that's a primary passtime. Always woods.

I've had many new riders saddle up on a WR450 or 450XCW and just pop it into second and ride it at idle to GREAT effect. The heavy flywheel weight on these make it such that it doesn't spin up easy, and almost never stalls.

This strategy always has the whiskey throttle problem, but it's rarer than you think.

EDIT: Dirt Bike Bros: The Whiskey Throttle Problem

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 30, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Small bikes own offroad I did offroad only from 7 years old till my early 20's, and never got bigger than a 360 Yamaha 2-stroke (which was too big). 250 is the sweet spot for woods riding. Competition motocross is another animal with another solution.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Does anyone have the link to the indoor MX video that was posted in here where the dude's bike ends up in the ceiling and they pick him out of the door, Wile E. Coyote style?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've been considering reducing the number of bikes I own for a while, it's getting a bit ridiculous. Right now I have a 98 KDX 200 for trail riding which is great but looks like it may be one of the bikes I sell.

Of the dual sports in the 200-300cc range which are more suited for off road riding? I've primarily been looking at the WR250R lately but some of the other offerings (husky/husa) are looking decent as well. Plated KTM 2-strokes are also an option I'm looking into, 125-250cc. By selling three of the current bikes I'll have some cash to play with but would prefer to stay under $4k.

Right now it looks like the bike would be used for 75% off road and 25% on road with an occasional commute (55mph zones) if I'm heading for dirt after work.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 30, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

I was told this ignored post was directed at me so I will respond.

You see if you had ridden offroad bikes only 1/10th the amount of time you spent posting about riding offroad you might realize something that is 70hp and 350lb is a not at all well suited for the task.

If you actually had me on ignore you wouldn't be so hilariously easy to troll. :allears:

Anyways, new job is sorting out and I'll be finally buying a dirtbike soon. I'm planning on doing some supermoto to, so I was leaning towards an early model YZ250F as there's a lot of compatibility between the years for wheel and suspension swaps. Is there a reason I should be looking at other 250s? Also, ca has the green sticker/red sticker thing and the early YZs were green sticker so that's another mark in favor of them.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 30, 2012

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

If you actually had me on ignore you wouldn't be so hilariously easy to troll. :allears:

Anyways, new job is sorting out and I'll be finally buying a dirtbike soon. I'm planning on doing some supermoto to, so I was leaning towards an early model YZ250F as there's a lot of compatibility between the years for wheel and suspension swaps. Is there a reason I should be looking at other 250s? Also, ca has the green sticker/red sticker thing and the early YZs were green sticker so that's another mark in favor of them.

If it's before 02? or 03? It doesn't have auto decompression, but you can put the newer cam in and have it magically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

VTNewb posted:

If it's before 02? or 03? It doesn't have auto decompression, but you can put the newer cam in and have it magically.

03, yeah.

Wheels are compatible, with different spacers, between 01-08 if memory serves. In 09 I think it was they went to a fatter axle.