Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

In 09 I think it was they went to a fatter axle.

:saddowns: this is correct. Really limits your pickings on used poo poo for sumo swaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

:saddowns: this is correct. Really limits your pickings on used poo poo for sumo swaps.

I've got a sumo set for 01-08 and a 01 250F in boxes, and a 09 250F with a sumo race this weekend... :(

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'll take your 250F in boxes if it's cheap :).

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
entered my first harescramble a couple of weeks back, took a beating but it was a blast.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Well, I went and had a look at the YZ450F, it's really nice but it's a bit too full-on for what I want and it would cost me too much to get it road registered, which is unfortunately essential.

What's the skinny on Husqvarna TE250s? An '03 one with pretty low mileage just came up for sale, I think it's overpriced but it might be worth a low-ball offer?

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
I don't know about anything as old as an 03 but a riding buddy of mine had an 08 that I got to ride several times. It's a solid enough bike, but it generally felt like something was off while riding it. I couldn't really say what that was, but in general everyone I speak to about the bike feels the same way. It's just an odd feeling bike without a real thing to pin point that on. I would definitely try to ride it before pulling the trigger. This may not matter to you as much either, but the the te250s are very anemic off the bottom. They don't have good power anywhere but in the midrange.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I would not own a Euro offroad bike that isn't a KTM without a very good reason. Any money you save up front you lose in parts cost/availability during ownership.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Erm, I live in Europe mate. Getting Husky parts is no harder than getting KTM or big four parts. In fact with the lovely dealers we have locally one manufacturer is as good as the next, as I will be mail ordering from UK / Europe no matter what.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Husqvarna guy, I'll definitely be taking it for a spin before buying. I've been scouring the classifieds for weeks now and my choices are currently:

A YZ450F in reasonable condition for a good price, but no road reg.
An old Honda MTX 125
A way overpriced XR400 (Thousands invested!!1!)
A reasonably priced but slightly tired XR600 with a 650 Dominator engine swap
Possibly a Husky TE610, not much info on it though
The above mentioned Husky
A couple of chinese CRF450 clones

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Why not wait until you can find a 4t 250?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Are you in Jersey? Or was that another Goon?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Spent the day at Trials Training Center learning to ride my new toy properly. drat what a great way to spend a Saturday. Tight turns, off cambers, wheelies, single and double blip log crossings. Learned a lot of stuff that I'll be able to apply to regular dirt riding for times I don't take the trials bike to the trails.

I was planning on doing two days but managed to be dehydrated by the end of the day despite drinking ~1.5 gallons of water and 4 gatorades so I decided to play it safe and pack up. I'll head back this fall and give it another shot doing both days.

Depending on other projects tomorrow I may be cutting down a few trees and setting up a simple course in the yard to play on.

Only downside...I need to buy yet another set of boots and possibly another helmet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dear Dirtbike Thread,

I never thought it would happen to me but I'm thinking about buying this:
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403444

Should I? Are the Hondas reasonably reliable? Am I asking for terrible things?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Would be a fun bike, frequent oil changes and valve checks but that's easy on the CRF's. He hasn't specified if it's the X or R that I saw...R is a race bike, X is more enduro.

I've enjoyed my CRF motard

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's an R model. Would be used at the local kart track, and also as my first dirtbike. :3:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

It's an R model. Would be used at the local kart track, and also as my first dirtbike. :3:

You have a local place to ride it so buy it. Might need some suspension attention but that looks like a pretty well setup bike.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
CRFs are great to work on. In 05 it was probably the best 250 in its class. My only concern would be the year. Around 08 most of the manufactures finally put some focus on getting the 250Fs to handle well. Previously they all seemed to take a back seat to the 450. So keep in mind that 05 was only the CRF250r's second year and they had lot of stupid mistakes they had to correct from the 04 so they couldn't put much focus on refining it.

That only applies to MX of course. No clue how they do at SM.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
04/05 CRFs have terrible valves that constantly fall out of adjustment. If you're going to get a Honda, try to get an 07 or newer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tape Leg posted:

04/05 CRFs have terrible valves that constantly fall out of adjustment. If you're going to get a Honda, try to get an 07 or newer.

Roger, thanks. Might have a line on a KTM, might be picking up an older YZ. What are the Green/Red restrictions in the area you guys ride? Will I be outcast if I end up buying a red sticker bike?

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Red sticker is only used at certain OHV areas. I think Hollister down by you is one of them, but for the most part there's nearly no restrictions for red sticker. It's more a so cal thing

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Red sticker schedule: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/2007%20carb%20revised%20riding%20seasons.pdf

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I am about 3/4 of the way into a CR500AF build finally. Just awaiting bearings and a crank.

Having never owned a 500 I am wondering what size flywheel weight should I be running in the sandy fast woods we have here? Also I am very interested in a Rekluse clutch. The increased weight of the auto clutch pack might negate some of the need for that flywheel weight like steel plates do, right?

Anyone familiar with these?

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

What a loving day. A buddy of mine took a header off a 15 foot cliff and landed on his hip in a pile of rocks. Could barely stand on his leg. We had to baby him back for 15 miles of side-hill tough single track to get back to the truck. Never had to ride a section, walk back to another bike, then ride that bike through so many tough sections of trail in my life. About half way back, the other guy that was with us had his throttle cable break the ball off the cable. So we went macguyver and used a zip tie through a knot we tied into the end of the cable to create a loop that he wrapped around his thumb to pull the throttle. We then drove a stick into the grip slide to hold into place so he could actually get some purchase on his bars. Dude rode back literally pulling a cable with his thumb for throttle on his yz250 for 7-8 miles of tough trail. Tons of respect to both of my friends for making it out of there. What a poo poo day. I've never seen a throttle cable snap before, let alone right in the middle of dealing with an injury that made me think seriously about triggering my spot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tape Leg posted:

What a loving day. A buddy of mine took a header off a 15 foot cliff and landed on his hip in a pile of rocks. Could barely stand on his leg. We had to baby him back for 15 miles of side-hill tough single track to get back to the truck. Never had to ride a section, walk back to another bike, then ride that bike through so many tough sections of trail in my life. About half way back, the other guy that was with us had his throttle cable break the ball off the cable. So we went macguyver and used a zip tie through a knot we tied into the end of the cable to create a loop that he wrapped around his thumb to pull the throttle. We then drove a stick into the grip slide to hold into place so he could actually get some purchase on his bars. Dude rode back literally pulling a cable with his thumb for throttle on his yz250 for 7-8 miles of tough trail. Tons of respect to both of my friends for making it out of there. What a poo poo day. I've never seen a throttle cable snap before, let alone right in the middle of dealing with an injury that made me think seriously about triggering my spot.

Note to self: Buy throttle and clutch cables to add to backpack as spares.

Glad your buddy is ok. I'm trying my damnest to find a good deal on a 250 to start out on, know anyone who's selling an older green sticker 250 4t for cheap?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tape Leg posted:

So we went macguyver and used a zip tie through a knot we tied into the end of the cable to create a loop that he wrapped around his thumb to pull the throttle. We then drove a stick into the grip slide to hold into place so he could actually get some purchase on his bars. Dude rode back literally pulling a cable with his thumb for throttle on his yz250 for 7-8 miles of tough trail.

One of my father's friends told me a story a bit like that from his days dirt-biking in the 70s. He had a Maico(!), and one day ended up going over a too-steep drop out in the boonies that snapped his throttle cable, broke his chain and flattened his front tire, among other damage. He was mostly unhurt, luckily. Getting the bike home required that he get it up something like a 300-foot hill covered in wet mud -- impossible to push it. But after some searching he found a bale of wire in the garbage by the railroad tracks and wired his chain back together, swapped the front brake cable over to the throttle (identical parts apparently), and walked alongside the bike keeping the front light as he drove it up the hill under power. Impressive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh god what have I done.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Z3n posted:

Oh god what have I done.

The best decision ever. Your 'transitioning to dirt' thread has been realized!

Now find some dirt buddies and get riding.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Oh god what have I done.

Oh my. Welcome to the yamaha cult :whatup:

WR450? Thought you were looking for a 250?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's a 250. Don't want to follow in your tracks of breaking all my bones. :v:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Dirt is soft! You'll be fine. What gear do you plan to wear?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gullous posted:

Dirt is soft! You'll be fine. What gear do you plan to wear?

Just ordered 636 bucks worth of gear.

quote:

One Industries - Carbon Trace Jersey

One Industries - Defcon Race Pants - 2011

Shift Racing - Assault Gloves

Troy Lee Designs - LPS 7605 Shorts

Alpinestars - Tech 7 Boots

Thor Motocross - Sector Knee Guards

Thor Motocross - Impact Rig SE

And then the same goggles and helmet that I rocked when I was up there last :)

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Can't tell if I see a skid plate or not. If not, get one. The stock engine guards are crap. What year is it? Judging by the light it's 06 or older. A good purchase is a battery tender and just leave the thing always hooked up trickle charging. If you buy new shift levers ever, don't get a hammerhead. Something about the hammerheads on the WR don't fit quite right and so it comes loose very easily.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I just broke my hammerhead shift lever on the 690. The head sheared off in a pavement spill. They look nice but I'd prefer the ductility of a cheaper lever over the stiffer hammerhead.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's an 01-02, you can tell by the grab handles by behind the seat. Also, steel frame 01-05.

About drat time, now get out there get dirty and crash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No battery on this bad boy...no estart either :(

Will grab a skidplate, though!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

No battery on this bad boy...no estart either :(
Do you have auto-decompression?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

Do you have auto-decompression?

Nope, manual decomp too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cross posted from the questions thread

quote:

Since we were talking race sag a page or so back, here is a good illustrated primer:

http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm
http://www.tootechracing.com/Static%20Sag%20Suspension%20Tip.htm

Also a complete setup guide for modern upside down showas (biased towards dirt): http://www.tootechracing.com/Twin%20Chamber%20Setup%2010-12-07.pdf

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

Nope, manual decomp too.

Make sure you have a nice fresh kickstarter (or buy the decomp cams, they drop right in).

An 02 YZ250 with a sharpened kickstarter from years of starting will cut straight through your boot. Ask me how I know.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont use the decomp and kick it like a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Says the guy with a E-start.

I have it to. It's just a matter of trying, right! What are you, tired?

:v:

Some races here run dead engine starts. When half the field has the button, I don't understand the policy.