Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gullous posted:

Says the guy with a E-start.

I have it to. It's just a matter of trying, right! What are you, tired?

:v:

Some races here run dead engine starts. When half the field has the button, I don't understand the policy.

I came up kickstarting a 360cc two stroke with a broken decomp lever, I've paid my dues.

If I could kickstart the DRZ (or could justify the $200 for the kickstart parts) I would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Dont use the decomp and kick it like a man.

The decompression just gets you to top dead center, I never had any additional issues using a manual decompression lever versus an automatic decompression. I actually liked the manual decompression lever for bump starting the bike.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

When half the field has the button, I don't understand the policy.

Kickstarting is faster than the button. When I ran my WR in races I'd kick and press the button at the same time.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Once you pop you don't stop :pwn:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

That one appears to be missing something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I replied to an ad for a downhill bike on craigslist, did I do wrong? The WR is good for uphills, this one is good for downhills, right?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I notice the San Jose stickers. Are all yall Californians around San Jose? Going to be in that area for 5 days for Moto GP. We can bro-it-up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm about 45 minutes north of San Jose...let me know when you're in the area, I'll buy the first round.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
I live about 2 1/2 hours from there. I have an extra bike if you want to go ride.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I may have some free tickets to Moto gp. Gotta get the details. If I'm going I'll let you know!

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I am based in San Francisco, let me take those tickets off your hand :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

First day of dirt riding tomorrow! :woop:

Have the bike all prepped, just need to toss my gear in a bag, pack some food, and off I go!

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
Where you going?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tape Leg posted:

Where you going?

Metcalf. Think that's probably a fair ways out of your way...

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

Yeah I've never been. Heard it's okay, just super tiny. Like 13 miles of total trail there.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Tape Leg posted:

04/05 CRFs have terrible valves that constantly fall out of adjustment. If you're going to get a Honda, try to get an 07 or newer.

It's not the valves per se. The air-box sealing is totally lovely though. If that's fixed, you'll notice a major improvement in mileage between needed valve adjustments.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Z3n posted:

First day of dirt riding tomorrow! :woop:

Have the bike all prepped, just need to toss my gear in a bag, pack some food, and off I go!

Are you going solo for your first timeout dirt bike riding?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Silver posted:

Are you going solo for your first timeout dirt bike riding?

Nah we rolled pretty deep. Half a dozen people showed up to play.

Good day, got some air, rode some singletrack, crashed a few times, and my friend's XR650R, when kicked repeatedly, would start pumping gas out of the airbox. Then he kicked it through with the decomp open and it afterfired and lit the bike on fire. He dumped it and we kicked a bunch of dirt on it to put it out. Good times!

Also, I'm 90% sure my bike has a clogged pilot jet, because the idle is all the way up, and it's a bitch to start when warm. Need to fix that. Also going to install an autodecomp cam because gently caress kicking that thing over and over, such a pain in the rear end.

Got some serious air over motocross jumps too, for a newb. Had a great day, rode with a bunch of friends, all in all, it was fantastic. I'm beat. Can't wait to do it some more.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I seem to recall being the one on the flaming bike at that moment, but when you spend 30 minutes or an hour or however long it was pushing bikes around and kickstarting them over and over and over it all kind of blends together in a blur of sweat and exhaustion. You gotta work for it sometimes, otherwise the fun is too cheaply won.

I had a blast, the WR250R performed extremely well with 12/52 gearing and proper knobby tires. No problems keeping up, and it wasn't unusually tiring to ride. My only complaint was that the big wide tank, high pegs, and my long legs leave very little space to grip the frame. I was sort of knock-kneed trying to hang on with my legs at the middle of the bike. Since my knees were right at the level of the seat perhaps I could fill out the seat width or...not sure. Even so, it was great to be able to hold on with my legs in the middle of a whooped out hillclimb. I just wish I could get the same effect with a normal stance.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Should I put the 18 inch rear off of the Yz I bought on my WR? Stock for the WR is a 17.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Z3n posted:

Should I put the 18 inch rear off of the Yz I bought on my WR? Stock for the WR is a 17.

put a 18 tire on a 17 rim with like eight rim locks

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm going to construct a rim entirely out of salvaged rimlocks, and then part it out for twice the money.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

I'd check again. Stock YZ wheels are 19" and stock WR wheels are 18". My buddies 2002 YZ250F has a 19" for example, my 2006 WR250F had an 18".

It's been pretty much a industry standard since 88 or so that MotoX has 19" and offroad has 18". Beyond the increased sidewalls ize on 18" to prevent pinchflats, I'm not sure the advantages of either.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
19" wheels are also lighter which is important for MX because wheels are unsprung weight.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So some interesting news,

I learned I ruptured a tendon im my wrist (rugby injury actually). As a result I havn't ridden in a month and need hand surgery, but my race results have been marred by endless technical difficulties (broken shift lever at the start of Nutmeg State, bike wouldn't start on the line of CATRA). A buddy of mine offered to trade his 09 CRF450X with toys (autoclutch) for my GG. I think since my wrist is more or less ruined at the moment I might go with it and race for giggles on the new platform.

Why not right? New experiences, try the series again next year.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

I'd check again. Stock YZ wheels are 19" and stock WR wheels are 18". My buddies 2002 YZ250F has a 19" for example, my 2006 WR250F had an 18".

It's been pretty much a industry standard since 88 or so that MotoX has 19" and offroad has 18". Beyond the increased sidewalls ize on 18" to prevent pinchflats, I'm not sure the advantages of either.

You're right...I must have misread the numbers yesterday.

I'll probably end up putting the 19 on there cause the gold excel rims are shiny, and I'm curious to see how the geometry changes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Cincinnati seems to have a large collection of morons selling bikes. I swear, I have never seen more people trying to get over 1K out of old busted 90's two strokers.

I am still trying to decide if I want another 125 or 250. I really, really loved my 04 YZ125, and my 06 YZ250 was fun. I think I liked flogging my 125 more ..

Four stroke MX bikes still make me nervous.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Have you considered a 144 mAlfunkti0n? Factory or not 140-150cc is a sweet spot for a lot of those motors when used with smaller riders. I don't know what kind of riding you do but if you are not worried about meeting any requirements I would go that route.

Also how does a four stroke make you nervous? They are super predictable to the point of boredom. Unless you are nervous of future repair cost.

edit: Husqvarna's cr125 comes with a 144 kit from the factory. Essentially giving you a second top end. Probably not worth the hassle of owning a husqvarna though. Lots of people make a 150/144 now so you have some options.

tehk fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 27, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

So some interesting news,

I learned I ruptured a tendon im my wrist (rugby injury actually). As a result I havn't ridden in a month and need hand surgery, but my race results have been marred by endless technical difficulties (broken shift lever at the start of Nutmeg State, bike wouldn't start on the line of CATRA). A buddy of mine offered to trade his 09 CRF450X with toys (autoclutch) for my GG. I think since my wrist is more or less ruined at the moment I might go with it and race for giggles on the new platform.

Why not right? New experiences, try the series again next year.

That sucks :( I've had wrist issues since I broke it, staying on PT even a year+ later is required. Take the time to heal up!

I thought a GasGas dealer was helping you out. Is that deal still going on?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

tehk posted:

Also how does a four stroke make you nervous? They are super predictable to the point of boredom. Unless you are nervous of future repair cost.

For real. My buddy rode mine for awhile last weekend and later on we were talking and he goes "You have to fight that" *points to my 200* "you get to ride that" *points to his 500 4 stroke*. One of the things I've learned as a new rider is yeah, the 2 strokes vs. 4 stroke learning curve is a LOT steeper than just starting out on a 4 stroke. Again mostly due to predictability and 4t's not getting on the pipe which leads to a degree of insanity that I have learned to love.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

It is a double edge sword. One thing the transition of new racers from Supermini to Lites tells us is that the ease of carrying speed on the 250F often ends with kids riding above their head. Which is why a lot of people are advocating bringing 125s back to the forefront as a stepping stone.

tehk fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 27, 2012

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

tehk posted:

It is a double edge sword. One thing the transition of new racers from Supermini to Lites tells us is that the ease of carrying speed on the 250F often ends with kids riding above their head. Which is why a lot of people are advocating bringing 125s back to the forefront as a stepping stone.

Well that would go with my point though, 4strokes are easier to ride so you're going to push way more limits vs. 2strokes have that punch that make you wary of them. 4 strokes = easy cheesy. 2 Strokes = loving AWESOME. /prettymucha2strokefanboynow.

:cheers:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tehk posted:

Have you considered a 144 mAlfunkti0n? Factory or not 140-150cc is a sweet spot for a lot of those motors when used with smaller riders. I don't know what kind of riding you do but if you are not worried about meeting any requirements I would go that route.

edit: Husqvarna's cr125 comes with a 144 kit from the factory. Essentially giving you a second top end. Probably not worth the hassle of owning a husqvarna though. Lots of people make a 150/144 now so you have some options.

Nervous in the sense of catastrophic failure .. not from overwhelming power. My 450 was just boring, so no nervousness from that. I have seen too many 4 strokes grenade at the track. While I do care for my machines very well, there is always that chance of failure from a defect in materials. I just hate the fact its generally a 2K repair bill on those bikes if anything goes bad.

I will probably stick with a trusty 125 or 250 2t when I go to buy. Easy to rebuild, and cheap. I just wish prices weren't so out of the park here. 144 kits are nice, but they need to be ported properly to make the best power once the upgrade is done. That generally runs $$$ unless you have a friend who does porting work.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Nervous in the sense of catastrophic failure .. not from overwhelming power. My 450 was just boring, so no nervousness from that. I have seen too many 4 strokes grenade at the track. While I do care for my machines very well, there is always that chance of failure from a defect in materials. I just hate the fact its generally a 2K repair bill on those bikes if anything goes bad.

I will probably stick with a trusty 125 or 250 2t when I go to buy. Easy to rebuild, and cheap. I just wish prices weren't so out of the park here. 144 kits are nice, but they need to be ported properly to make the best power once the upgrade is done. That generally runs $$$ unless you have a friend who does porting work.

What about a 150XC or SX?

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/150-xc-usa.html#.T-3FdxdfGSo

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

I love KTM, but I will be in the "cheap, used, possibly trashed so I can rebuild" model. I have this wonderful disease of having to strip a bike apart when I buy it, so I am hoping to find a "beater" that I can get for next to nothing.

So far it seems mid 2000's RM250's are going to be my best bet. Good handling, 04-06 had awesome engines, etc.

Anyways, it will be at minimum 3 months before I am really in the market.

Edit ... wow that 150XC is beautiful though ... why am I poor!!!

Here was my last KTM .. I have since then moved and now have a little over 5 acres to myself. So, I really need a bike. :)

DSC00056 by Jarred Sutherland, on Flickr

My favorite though was this one .. 2004 YZ125, bought for $900 because it didn't run. Guy thought it was an 03, also wouldn't start due to the woodruff key being sheared and it firing at BDC. Guy had replaced crank and gave up. I stripped it down, sandblasted frame, powder coated, FTE. It was a total blast.

IMG_2575 by Jarred Sutherland, on Flickr

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 29, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Tell me about it!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cleaned carb, checked valves, and all of the sudden the bike starts a lot easier hot. WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED?!?!

Think I'm going to swap the tank out for a YZ tank because it'd be easy and I like how the seat slopes better on the YZ tank.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Schroedinger's valves. Until you check them, there are in an indeterminate quantum state. This quantum indeterminacy is the cause of unpredictable starting, especially when hot (the quanta get excited when hot). The quantum superposition of too-tight/too-loose/just-right collapsed for each valve when you inserted the feeler gauges.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is a mans dirtbike: http://youtu.be/CqgEl53x7CM?t=1m15s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I had a strange moment last night when I sat down to find a youtube of the X games enduro X final. I realized I know the woman who ultimately got second place. I had to make some phone calls to confirm I'm not crazy. Small world, dirtbiking. (Trials specifically).