Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Strava lol. I log em as ebike rides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Guess we can stop worrying about cooper.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

:nice:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

TotalLossBrain posted:

awesome lol

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

rally posted:

Guess we can stop worrying about cooper.

Praise it

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Trying Tusk tires this early season. Not risking new bibs on them though, so using some UHD tubes i keep in my shop if someone has a flat in my group rides.

Incidentally, I put the tire on with a tube as if it had a a bib - major pro move - one quick boom and it's on.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Do you have a suggestion on how to seat the bead on mousses? The new bike I bought came with nitromousses and I fitted a section of nitrowedge in the front tire to eek out a few more rides with it but I can't get the bead to fully seat on one side. Tried the trick of blasting air through an old stem cut from a tube which didn't work and just riding it didn't work either. Do I necessarily need to have a stubborn bead seated with mousses?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Do you have a suggestion on how to seat the bead on mousses? The new bike I bought came with nitromousses and I fitted a section of nitrowedge in the front tire to eek out a few more rides with it but I can't get the bead to fully seat on one side. Tried the trick of blasting air through an old stem cut from a tube which didn't work and just riding it didn't work either. Do I necessarily need to have a stubborn bead seated with mousses?

I've never had an issue that wasn't solved by just riding it - no great advice unfortunately

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Congrats to Chase Sexton as the 2023 sx champion and Honda for currently having both 250 east west and premier class championships in 2023

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

500excf type r posted:

Congrats to Chase Sexton as the 2023 sx champion and Honda for currently having both 250 east west and premier class championships in 2023

Mathematically, tomac finishes second right? That's a little funny. And if Roczen finishes ahead of webb then he gets third so... still something to root for in the last race.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

DEATHCROSS!!!!!

Honda's 20 year (+?) championship drought is over tho, dang

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

builds character posted:

Mathematically, tomac finishes second right? That's a little funny. And if Roczen finishes ahead of webb then he gets third so... still something to root for in the last race.

Yeah Webb isn't racing in Utah and is like 3 points up on Roczen which should not be a problem to get around and that lands him a 3rd overall

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Cross post from the motorcycle thread.

Finally bit the bullet and started my top end rebuild on my wr250. I've never done engine work besides checking and shimming valves so this should be fun. I'm using Rocky mountain ATVs video as a guide because they use a very similar bike and it's very detailed.

Umm. These lines on the mating surface can't be great. I'm genuinely curious what the gently caress happened there. It doesn't leak so I'll leave it alone but still... :stare:

I knew it had been rebuilt at one point because the engine bolts were worn. When I opened it, I saw a wiseco connecting rod.

The cylinder looks very clean with some cross hatching still, no obvious other imperfections. The piston has a bunch of crusty carbon on top but otherwise pretty clean. The rings are in good shape, nothing missing. No metal bits. It's better than I would've thought. I was very happy to feel there wasn't any vertical play in the connecting rod bearing.

I need to break down the valves/springs/seats to replace the valves but I need a valve tool.

5 titanium valves ... My poor wallet.

Oh and I straightened my radiator only to drop a screwdriver and create a pinhole leak. Fuuuck.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I took an overnight camping trip to Winchester Bay in the Oregon Dunes. Here's some pics

Packing to leave.

Airing down for easy sand driving

Top of Banshee Hill

Banshee Hill is a popular party spot at night for hill climbs in the dark.

Morning

Dropping in

Looking west - Pacific Ocean

Looking East - a lake

Airing up

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Couple of short videos of the Banshee Hill climb up
First is from the bottom, with my kid Sam going up on my new KX250.

https://youtu.be/H1tDkFn8oGM

Next is taken from the top, with me on the KX coming up.

https://youtube.com/shorts/8XFxRaFYuFc?feature=share

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone have suggestions for turn signals for my DRZ that can survive being dropped on rocks a few times? Procycle looks like they have some good options

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
So I’ve been doing less adventure bike stuff and more dirt bike stuff. Mainly because my son is old enough to ride now but not old enough to be licensed. So I picked up a 1998 Ktm 300 exc and then a 2012 Ktm 450 xcw and have been riding my parents property. We’re about bored there and really don’t have anywhere else to go. We’re in north east Ohio but I don’t mind driving a few hours to a spot or a park. There’s a local motorcross track but I think we’re more looking for riding rather than racing. Any suggestions?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for turn signals for my DRZ that can survive being dropped on rocks a few times? Procycle looks like they have some good options

Depends on your state and its inspections. Do you want one that's a good turn signal or one that won't break? For example, I think your best bet is something like these that will never actually have to hit rocks. https://tstindustries.com/tst-led-front-flushmount-turn-signals-suzuki-drz400s-drz400sm.html and these https://www.ebay.com/itm/191147595085 and then just order a couple pairs because you'll still break them.

kenny powerzzz posted:

So I’ve been doing less adventure bike stuff and more dirt bike stuff. Mainly because my son is old enough to ride now but not old enough to be licensed. So I picked up a 1998 Ktm 300 exc and then a 2012 Ktm 450 xcw and have been riding my parents property. We’re about bored there and really don’t have anywhere else to go. We’re in north east Ohio but I don’t mind driving a few hours to a spot or a park. There’s a local motorcross track but I think we’re more looking for riding rather than racing. Any suggestions?

Ask around on advrider or whatever your local facebook group is. I'd be surprised if there wasn't something in PA near the alleghany natl forest.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Thank you that’s a good idea. I found a few close. I’ve lived in the area 45 years and didn’t know they were there.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

kenny powerzzz posted:

I'm a trail rider but I do motocross practice days 5-10 times a year. It's super super fun and lets you really focus on basic skills.

EDIT: like yelling at your kids and shotgunning keystone

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Depends on your state and its inspections. Do you want one that's a good turn signal or one that won't break? For example, I think your best bet is something like these that will never actually have to hit rocks. https://tstindustries.com/tst-led-front-flushmount-turn-signals-suzuki-drz400s-drz400sm.html and these https://www.ebay.com/itm/191147595085 and then just order a couple pairs because you'll still break them.

Hmm, I hadn't really thought about flush mounts like those. I'm not doing much street riding with it anymore, so I can probably take the risk of them not being visible.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I'm a trail rider but I do motocross practice days 5-10 times a year. It's super super fun and lets you really focus on basic skills.

EDIT: like yelling at your kids and shotgunning keystone

Not a bad idea. Our local motocross track is pretty awesome too. I ride trails more than anything myself and I could probably ride the track without killing myself, it’s my son that limits what we do. He’s 14 and I just got him a bike that is his own a few months ago. I’d like to see him with more clutch control and be a little more stable with his slow speed maneuvers. He’s just falling in love with dirt biking and is happy doing anything. It’s truly rad teaching him. But he’s not really in complete control yet.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

kenny powerzzz posted:

Not a bad idea. Our local motocross track is pretty awesome too. I ride trails more than anything myself and I could probably ride the track without killing myself, it’s my son that limits what we do. He’s 14 and I just got him a bike that is his own a few months ago. I’d like to see him with more clutch control and be a little more stable with his slow speed maneuvers. He’s just falling in love with dirt biking and is happy doing anything. It’s truly rad teaching him. But he’s not really in complete control yet.

I dunno about your local one, but many of my local MX tracks have a kids track. Great for beginners too. I took a friends 13 y/o out on the kids track on Saturday. Great place to feel safe and get your feet under you.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My dad finally put knobbies on his DRZ so we went out exploring to see what Class VI roads were actually passable.

This was a dead end:

With a sturdy bridge (to nowhere)

Then I found an easy looking trail that supposedly led to a radio tower. The tower had been dismantled.

Finally we took one interesting looking road towards home. Started out fun, with just a few rocks and big mud puddles. It turned into some serious rock ledges that neither of us were in shape to do elegantly.

Dirt bikes are cool and I need to get out on this thing more.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
After a 10+ year hiatus, I finally got back on a bike. Bought a 05 crf450x with plates and a street kit (a coworker is a Baja 1000 mechanic) and boy oh boy is this thing fun. Probably already put 400 road and gravel miles on it in a week, and changed the oil plus added a radiator fan and phone mount so I can have some sort of speedometer.

I missed motorcycles and I'm glad I got a dirt capable one. Gonna go explore American fork canyon up to Mary Ellen one of these days! But today is a dh mtb day, so deer valley here I come!

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 9, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Paddle tires are off the bikes for the season and the knobbies are back on. First trail ride at Brown's Camp in Oregon's coastal range tomorrow.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
We spent a few more hours at Brown's Camp today in the Tillamook State Forest West of Portland.
Fire danger is high so riding is off limits 1pm - 8,pm. We got there early and got 40 miles / 2.5 hrs moving time in.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You can't wear KTM gear while riding a kawasaki. this is illegal

(looks great though)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
That's by far the least offensive ktm gear I've ever seen. It doesn't look like you're going to a construction site or ama supercross series. I like how a lot of brands are doing their off-road gear in more subdued colors and styles now.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's just a no-name pair of cheap riding pants and an orange Under Armour hoodie I picked up from my gym's lost and found

It did work a lot better with the old KTM though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It makes sense that the least offensive KTM apparel isn't actually made by KTM

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Kid paid the wheelie tax. He is getting good though

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thankfully it wasn't a new husky or you might be replacing the whole composite subframe.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Instead of buying new plastics, he bought a full new a/m exhaust system.
Insert Dad grumps here

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Two dudes has a bad day on a local ridgeline trail:

From the facebook comments, snowmobiles get stuck all the time and use helicopters for extraction. I rode this trail for the first time last month and it was a struggle. I can hard enduro but the elevation, exposure, and heat stack up. Unforgettable ride though:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah gently caress that (not you, those trails in general). The Cascades have a lot of very gnarly trails all over and most of them are very far away from civilization.
I've done a few of these in Jeeps.

Narrowneck Gap near Rimrock: https://youtu.be/_RFPmwm_qg0?si=u6UMprs_DMH33Vrf

Pucker Ridge, also Rimrock: https://youtu.be/GwyJHmhPzfg?si=46w6Z9q5xrAZzmbb

I've tried riding Naches Pass Trail on a dirt bike and couldn't hack it on steep rocky sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yeah gently caress that (not you, those trails in general). The Cascades have a lot of very gnarly trails all over and most of them are very far away from civilization.
I've done a few of these in Jeeps.

Narrowneck Gap near Rimrock: https://youtu.be/_RFPmwm_qg0?si=u6UMprs_DMH33Vrf

Pucker Ridge, also Rimrock: https://youtu.be/GwyJHmhPzfg?si=46w6Z9q5xrAZzmbb

I've tried riding Naches Pass Trail on a dirt bike and couldn't hack it on steep rocky sections.

I too live in washington and I've heard so many horror stories about people riding this stuff. We have so much steep alpine terrain around here which creates a lot of exposure and challenging obstacles. There are people every year who donate bikes, or more, to mother nature. I like riding, and hiking, but I'm always a bit nervous about getting too far out into crazy terrain. When guys talk about gettin 30-50 miles in, I try to think about the walk out. After you've been riding all day, in moto gear. What happens if something happens to your bike and you need to hoof it out. 20 miles in? Thats likely going to be two days walk in uncomfortable footwear, let alone if you're injured. Do you have enough food or water for that? Dumb little things can happen so easily which can turn an afternoon ride into a survival situation. Most of those areas don't have cell reception so a beacon isn't a bad idea.