Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
This thread is missing some love, what are you guys/gals up to lately?

I've tracked down a deal on a 2007 YZ250, hoping we can follow up by picking it up tomorrow evening.

Boot wise, what do you all find comfortable for offroad? Last pair I owned were a set of Tech 7's and they were nice, but the price went up about $100 since I bought mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
We're in the 100+ heat here in OK. That's just too effin hot to be geared up and riding around in the woods. I did go out to a friend of mines house and we played around with clutch ups and the plant your foot spin the rear tire around u-turns type stuff. He has a pool so ride for about 30 minutes sweating your butt off then go jump in pool.

I guess I can post up the mini bike beer chug race that we had about a month ago. 3 laps, chug a beer per lap.

This is a preview, lemme know if you want to see the full 8 min video I put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTYKTIUrtKM

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Been riding some dirt on my new WR but also working shitloads of hours, so time for posting ride reports is very limited.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Silver posted:

We're in the 100+ heat here in OK. That's just too effin hot to be geared up and riding around in the woods. I did go out to a friend of mines house and we played around with clutch ups and the plant your foot spin the rear tire around u-turns type stuff. He has a pool so ride for about 30 minutes sweating your butt off then go jump in pool.

I guess I can post up the mini bike beer chug race that we had about a month ago. 3 laps, chug a beer per lap.

This is a preview, lemme know if you want to see the full 8 min video I put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTYKTIUrtKM

Were approaching that type of heat again out in Ohio. We had 100+ the week before last, then we got a nice 80's week and back to this nonsense.

I've been driving myself nuts looking for a nice bike.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
The 100 degree heat is keeping me in the garage as well. Riding here in NJ is going to be a bummer for a few months as we catch up on trail clean up from our recent storms. All my track and surrounding single track is covered with trees. So I've been focusing on a few bike builds until this weekend when I can use the new chainsaw mount I bought to service the tighter riding areas which are covered with large downed trees.

A few weeks ago I picked up a crashed CR250 for super cheap and put around $700 into engine parts, a flywheel weight, and suspension valving/springs. I am still waiting on Enduro Engineering protection, and a new wheelset but in the end it will make for a nice backup bike with a fresh motor for significantly less than I could have purchased one.

Pancaked before photo. Stator side case had a silver dollar sized hole at the bottom of the flywheel housing, but the motor ran fine.

I fixed the chassis at work after ultrasounding the frame to check for cracks. I remade a regulator/rectifier mount and installed new thicker core radiators with supports.

Fortunately I had a spare electronic power valve motor from my 500AF project that dropped right in. All I needed to get done was porting by Eric Gorr, a stealthy flywheel weight, and a PWK Air Striker carb to make the bike friendlier in the tight stuff. Can't wait to have it woods ready for this weekend.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
drat that is a hell of a back up bike!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tehk posted:

The 100 degree heat is keeping me in the garage as well. Riding here in NJ is going to be a bummer for a few months as we catch up on trail clean up from our recent storms. All my track and surrounding single track is covered with trees. So I've been focusing on a few bike builds until this weekend when I can use the new chainsaw mount I bought to service the tighter riding areas which are covered with large downed trees.

A few weeks ago I picked up a crashed CR250 for super cheap and put around $700 into engine parts, a flywheel weight, and suspension valving/springs. I am still waiting on Enduro Engineering protection, and a new wheelset but in the end it will make for a nice backup bike with a fresh motor for significantly less than I could have purchased one.

Pancaked before photo. Stator side case had a silver dollar sized hole at the bottom of the flywheel housing, but the motor ran fine.

I fixed the chassis at work after ultrasounding the frame to check for cracks. I remade a regulator/rectifier mount and installed new thicker core radiators with supports.

Fortunately I had a spare electronic power valve motor from my 500AF project that dropped right in. All I needed to get done was porting by Eric Gorr, a stealthy flywheel weight, and a PWK Air Striker carb to make the bike friendlier in the tight stuff. Can't wait to have it woods ready for this weekend.

Good looking bike. Only thing I can't stand about those CR's is that frame, about impossible to get to the carb easily (at least on my 01, granted frames changed but it doesn't look like enough to get to carb easily).

Anyways, I have the 07 YZ250 on the back burner. Local contact got ahold of me about a basket case for $500. 2002 KX250, needs new top and bottom end .. lots of extras with the bike.

Pretty sure I am picking up tomorrow after work.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Newer Twin spar frames on MX bikes are pretty good in terms of access because you can quickly remove the sub-frame and airbox. The only pain is getting the airboot on without removing the exhaust first. The Gen1 and Gen2 CR aluminum frames were a lot worse since the spars had no curve to them and they blocked a lot more access points than the Gen3+ Honda frames which hug the engine and twist inward around the rear suspension mount.

Good luck on that KX. I've never owned one but I hear they are a solid bike.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tehk posted:

Newer Twin spar frames on MX bikes are pretty good in terms of access because you can quickly remove the sub-frame and airbox. The only pain is getting the airboot on without removing the exhaust first. The Gen1 and Gen2 CR aluminum frames were a lot worse since the spars had no curve to them and they blocked a lot more access points than the Gen3+ Honda frames which hug the engine and twist inward around the rear suspension mount.

Good luck on that KX. I've never owned one but I hear they are a solid bike.

Yeah the second gen frame I had was miserable getting to the carb. It was always pull seat, detach airbox from carb, unbolt bottom two from subframe and then lever it upwards. Irritating, amazing motors though in that 00 and 01 model year.

The KX seems to be a solid bike, I am trying to decide if I want to snag an extra cylinder and have it ported to move the power around, apparently they lack top end on those years. Guess i'll just have to ride first and decide later.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Finally rode dirt for the first time in almost three months. Felt great to get out there but holy crap I'm hilariously out of shape and my (very meager) skills have deteriorated. Need more ride time!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Picked up my KX on Friday evening, guy that had it was great. $500, came with new hinson clutch basket, extra clutch, new (non installed) rear tire, extra shock, stock springs, etc.

Started work on it on Saturday, pulled motor and I have it ready to be split, waiting on tools which will be here tomorrow (Tuesday). Sending crank to be rebuilt and cylinder to be re-plated.

Frame should be stripped down tonight so I can sandblast and paint it, probably finish that next week.

Picked up a 2007 KLX 110 last night for my wife (and me too, fun little things). All stock, in great shape.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Picked up my KX on Friday evening, guy that had it was great. $500, came with new hinson clutch basket, extra clutch, new (non installed) rear tire, extra shock, stock springs, etc.

Started work on it on Saturday, pulled motor and I have it ready to be split, waiting on tools which will be here tomorrow (Tuesday). Sending crank to be rebuilt and cylinder to be re-plated.

Frame should be stripped down tonight so I can sandblast and paint it, probably finish that next week.

Picked up a 2007 KLX 110 last night for my wife (and me too, fun little things). All stock, in great shape.

any reason why you did not just buy a crank kit? just wondering because that is what I did for my 2000 KX. Just seemed like the simplest way and the price seemed good to me.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

any reason why you did not just buy a crank kit? just wondering because that is what I did for my 2000 KX. Just seemed like the simplest way and the price seemed good to me.

Both Wiseco and Hot Rods have had enough issues with cranks to make me nervous. Wiseco has had bad batch after bad batch of cranks (crank arms breaking off, etc).

For less than both of those though, I can have my Japanese built crank (which has made it through 10 years of abuse) rebuilt back to factory tolerances. Cheaper and still a great crank, makes me happy. :) Also, I keep a great guy (Vince from Mr Crankshaft in Kentucky) in business. All around good!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I put some new bars on my KDX, and now I've fixed all the annoying mechanical faults with it. None of the legal local riding spots are open, so I just messed around in my yard for a while and started cutting a trail in the woods. Turns out my property line is farther over than I thought, so I'm planning on making something longer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh to have enough property to not even fully realize how far it goes

:allears:

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Went out to Jandebeurs Motocross track this past Sunday. Good stuff! A LOT bigger jumps than they have out at Talequah track. Coming off a 10 foot or so double and landing in the middle of it with a suspension setup for trail riding = bottom right the hell out. Was really dusty but not miserable or anything. First time through trail that goes around it I ended up jacking up a 90 degree left turn and going to street tactics and grabbing a handful of front brake and sent myself tumbling. Woops.

Crew at Jbobs's: Noel, Steve, and Zach.

Moto, the track dog. Pretty much gave my left arm a bath in slobber while playing around with him.

We headed back to the tracks after that and played some more. Worked on getting into and out of turns, also being less of a wimp on jumps, mostly just kinda working on everything. Steve got a first hand view of me dumping the front in a turn and faceplanting. It seems that pretty much everytime I ride dirt I have someone say at some point in the riding "Man I wish I had my go pro on for that". :mad:

I have realized I need to definitely get some more upper body strength going on, after about an hour and a half my arms were noodles. Everything else was ok but my arms were going "NOPE EFF THIS" which I think is a combo of being out of shape as well as death gripping the bars on occasion, need to stay more loose. I think Noel was in about the same shape so we both called it quits about then. I stuck around after and played photographer for Steve and Zach for awhile.

A slew of pics I took.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh to have enough property to not even fully realize how far it goes

:allears:

Oh, don't be too impressed. It's only an acre of land, and I was only off by like 5 feet. The neighbor on that side is kind of a jerk and hates motorcycles, so I wasn't pushing my luck on the line. When I was younger and only rode bicycles through there, he put big sticks up across the part of the trail on my side of the line.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So I havn't been riding really for the past four months. I separated some ribs, then epicly broke my finger about a month ago (wrestling a fat guy). Three cracks in my right middle finger with two ruptured tendons.

That being said, I'm going to be very stupid and race on Saturday. It's the only Vermont race (not the championship either, some low rent race series), and I've been YELLING at my friends to go. Now they're going and I need to be there. I might as well toodle around the track and go-pro some poo poo.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Hooray. The broken finger prevails.

Unfortunately I destroyed my junk during an ill timed fall.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Worth it

vollgasflorett
Oct 31, 2010
I've just got a quick question or two and thought this would be the best place to ask.
I've recently finished fixing up (I won't say restoring, I didn't go THAT deep) a 1987 Yamaha DT 125LC YPVS as a starter dirt bike. I've been riding it on trails locally and it's been fantastic, It's light, agile and great for building up confidence on loose surfaces. I'm interested in knowing if anybody could recommend any good parts suppliers for dirt and trail specific parts? replacement guards, crash bars etc for when the inevitable happens and I end up damaging it. I'm not exactly looking for model specific parts straight off the bat but an idea of some companies or manufacturers that would be worth a look.

Other than that what would you guys suggest as a most worthwhile first upgrade or upgrade path to get the most out of something like the little Yam offroad? I'm looking into courses for myself but for the bike could a suspension upgrade be worthwhile? I gave the standard forks and monoshock a service during the rebuild but if parts are available I would expect springs set for my weight and better damping would make a difference, Though I'm not sure if I'm overlooking other changes that might be more cost effective?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

vollgasflorett posted:

Other than that what would you guys suggest as a most worthwhile first upgrade or upgrade path to get the most out of something like the little Yam offroad?

The only upgrade for you is tires. The rest is a new bike. Enjoy the DT, learn if dirt is your thing, then spend $1000 on a KDX when you've made the decision to stay.

In the mean time get some good offroad tires.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

VTNewb posted:

The only upgrade for you is tires. The rest is a new bike. Enjoy the DT, learn if dirt is your thing, then spend $1000 on a KDX when you've made the decision to stay.

In the mean time get some good offroad tires.

Yep, I would be sure everything is in decent working order (cables, carb, tires, bearings) before I put any more money into it. Unless it's sentimental, ride the piss out of it and then upgrade to a more modern bike in the future. Have fun with it, I've heard good things about those DT's.

vollgasflorett
Oct 31, 2010
It has some dunlop trials tyres of some description at the moment, they came with the bike and are 2 or 3 years old. I'll have to check them out and see what they are exactly. Any pointers on brands or specific tyres? Or is it one of those things that is really down to personal preference? The rest of it is pretty much rebuilt, it was owned by a chap on my street and had been left outside for the last 2 years. When I bought it I went right through it to make sure it was safe.

As for the KDX, why would that be something to look out for next? and which model? I'm always looking for bikes and projects to work through, I restore classic cars for a living and I've started restoring and building up bikes for myself in my spare time. Would it really be worth keeping an eye out for one?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

vollgasflorett stick with the DT until you decide you are serious about and comfortable riding off-road. You seem to be itching for a project which tells me the KDX is probably not for you though. If you spend a $1000 on a KDX you are in the same situation on that chassis as you are currently on your DT.

It is like a time machine to the 80s. I am not saying it is a bad bike, but there are significantly better options. A purpose built bike like the KTM XC/XCF, CRF-X, or WR is the way to go. If you are on a budget converting a 2000+ lite MX bike is a good option, but suspension should be approached immediately. Just be ready to spend cash for guards, flywheel weights, and various other crap.

vollgasflorett
Oct 31, 2010
Thanks for the reply tehk, I'm definitely sticking with the DT for now, I have a 1969 Suzuki T500 production racer rep build on at the mo that I expect to last me the winter as a full project. Along with servicing and improving the DT and my CB450 I should be kept busy till the riding season starts in spring next year.
Really I'm just looking into any worthwhile improvements for the bike while it's off the road for the winter. I'll look into the tyres and see if I can find some prices on suspension, it might be worth it if the kits are inexpensive. I live near one of the BMW trail centers and I would really like to get the bike well set up for some visits next summer.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The KDX is "the" gateway offroad bike. The 1995+ KDX 200 and 1997+ KDX 220 represent old technology as tehk has mentioned, but they have some significant advantages.

They are inexpensive, and in stock format have low end luggable power. They have a low seat height which is a good thing for the new offroad rider. They are also very easy to make street legal in the US (the stock top end will last 30,000 MILES). If you decide you want to step up and do some racing, $500 dollars will double the horsepower of the bike from stock.

If you really want to race you can invest in $200 dollars of ebay parts to adapt the Motocross bikes (KX125, KX250) front forks to the KDX. All this requires is a press and some bearings.

Yes tehk is correct in that it has "oldschool" handling. When I jump on a KDX it takes a lot more rider input to turn the thing. My assumption in my recommendation is that it's a gateway bike.

vollgasflorett
Oct 31, 2010
Thanks for the KDX info VTNewb, I'm based in Switzerland and just looking around there is a '92 KDX 125 for sale online for 750chf in "as pulled from the shed" condition and in an amazing early 90's battleship blue-grey and neon pink colour combo. I'll have a look around online for some more info on the model history and details.

No real cash to spare at the moment, or space for another bike till I sort out my workshop but it is good to get some pointers at what might work as a next step. There are a couple of local "backyard" motocross circuits just down the road from where I live, could the KDX work as a general offroad bike for trails, enduro style trials and sunny open days at the track? I'd prefer to build up something as a good all rounder that I could use regularly for whatever comes up rather than getting something too focused.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I have no information on that model as it didn't make it to the US. I can almost guarantee you do not want a 125 though. Save your money and wait for the 200 or 220 to come up. Saga might chime in as he has had a Euro spec KDX.

The KDX will not work for motocross, the front suspension is too squishy (unless you swap it as I mentioned above). It will take you to victory in trail riding, enduro riding, and hare scrambling though.

vollgasflorett
Oct 31, 2010
Looking closer at the 125's info it has less power than my DT, from the images it appears to be almost identical to the bigger model just with the smaller motor dropped in the frame. Interesting and a good sign that the model in general is around but obviously not what I would be after.

Thanks for the extra info VTNewb, it sounds like a really good base to run from. Around here unless I am looking to compete in full Motocross events off road riding is pretty limited, the environment protection laws are pretty heavy. I am working on my full motorcycle license though and with that under my belt I can legally ride in other countries, opening more events and legal places to ride in southern Germany and Western Austria.

I'll see how I go and add the KDX to the list of bikes to keep an eye out for, I know the DT would be legal to run in some of the smaller capacity classes if I want to give competition a go but its good to know that I could upgrade in the future for riding in general without breaking the bank.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

You have access to used models from 4 European brands that are not unchanged dinosaurs from the 80s like the KDX. If you have any wish to gently caress around on a backyard MX track do yourself a favor and buy a KTM EXC or Husqvarna WR. It won't be perfect but it will be more than enough for a new rider who is not going to be riding the track as fast as the kids do in the 50 mod class. You are lucky to have such a wide selection of good used off road bikes so take advantage of it.

Perhaps you need to follow the Silver model.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All the single goons

all the single goons

buy this dirtbiiike

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3217241877.html

vollgasflorett
Oct 31, 2010
I talked about it above but I was down at the workshop today and thought I would take a couple of shots of the DT.

I stripped, cleaned and repainted a lot of it along with checking brakes, bearings, suspension and anything else I could think of that may have been affected by the best part of 3 years in the Swiss weather.

I need to find or have made up a transfer for the missing side panel decal and perhaps replace the "MONOSHOCK SUSPENSION" ones that should run down both sides of the swingarm. At the moment though I'm just enjoying getting out and riding the thing. It's documents put it down as 16.29 kW (somewhere just over 21hp) from 123cc with a dry weight of 110kg. The higher power output was one of the attractions. I think it is one of the last with the higher hp motor, before learner laws led to the model being limited to 14hp.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

All the single goons

all the single goons

buy this dirtbiiike

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3217241877.html

Is this your bike. I can be over in like 10 minutes.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
Holy poo poo I'm excited. For various reasons I've been able to ride about two times this summer and just now I've finally gotten my bike back together. Had an episode replacing the rear sprocket where the bolts seized up and required drilling to get them out. Heard about that happening with people but have never been so lucky as to have to deal with it myself. Either way, the fucker is on and I'm going riding this weekend. Amazing how a month without riding will make you go crazy and start jonesin for good trail.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Dirt bike bro's! I need some advice, does anyone have any experience with neck braces? I have pretty much everything except a neck brace and kidney belt and my birthday is coming up, so I was wondering if a neck brace does much and if they're a worthy investment? Note that I ride trails/enduro type stuff, no mx at all (I suck at mx!). Also any brands to recommend?

Sorry to be a hassle but does anyone have any experience with gopro HD hero2's? I was looking at picking one up to film my dad and I when we ride.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Guni posted:

Dirt bike bro's! I need some advice, does anyone have any experience with neck braces? I have pretty much everything except a neck brace and kidney belt and my birthday is coming up, so I was wondering if a neck brace does much and if they're a worthy investment? Note that I ride trails/enduro type stuff, no mx at all (I suck at mx!). Also any brands to recommend?

Sorry to be a hassle but does anyone have any experience with gopro HD hero2's? I was looking at picking one up to film my dad and I when we ride.

I have a Leatt (an older one, not sure which would be the equivalent new model). I like it and I think that it provides important protection. I have been hitting harescrambles this summer and have had some high-sides (I am a poo poo rider) where I was glad I had it on. No proof that it works other than I have no injuries from these falls, but for me it is well worth it because my neck was sore from these falls. I don't want to know what my neck would feel like if I did not have it on.

I don't see a whole lot of people wearing them but to me it is cheap insurance to wear one.

I would recommend a Leatt but I have not tried any other brands. Leatt has the best looking design to me (in terms of protection) Alpinestars looks pretty neat to.

Tape Leg
May 8, 2003

We were all delighted, we all realized we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing our one noble function of the time, move.
I would say they are less important on trails but really no dollars spent on safety is wasted money when it comes to riding. I would rather spend the coin on a good set of knee braces than a neck brace if you don't have either though. I ride exclusively on trails and I have your normal gear, boots, knee braces, neck brace, elbow guards but don't use a chest protector. I also spend $40/yr on life flight insurance and I bring a GPS emergency signal with me in my camelbak just in case. All of that stuff is great to not ever need, but I would feel scared not having it. As far as what kind of neck brace I would say a Leatt. They've always been the staple brand and I've never had an issue with them or heard a negative thing about them.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

FYI, the Spot emergency beacon device offers optional rescue insurance:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=104

I use this in combination with MedJetAssist, which covers medical transfers globally, starting 150 miles from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So I got rid of the GasGas. I decided to try the "more power but with a rekluse" approach just for giggles.

I've not been riding too much because of a cyst in my right wrist (getting removed soon), and breaking my right middle finger with associated ruptured tendons. I threw all the injury to the wind today and went riding with a new bike.

I got myself a 2011 KTM 250 XC. It has a GPR steering stabilizer, Rekluse clutch, all the guards, bib mouse and tire balls in the wheels, and electric start.

It's been raining quite hard, but I said screw it and went to ride a (very slimy) local track. You can see me struggling through it below. A combination of no fitness, lack of riding, new bike, and slimy rocks make it slow going. I hope to post a second video sometime soon to show some improvement back to the norm, We'll see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5KG06lAio4