Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I used bold motherfuckers

State: Vermont, but all New England really.
Riding: Weekend warrior. Competed in trials for 3 years, race the new england championship hare scramble series.
Bike: 2011 GasGas XC200 Six Days
Terrain: Mud covered rocks and roots. No dirt.
Other stuff: Got a dealer sponsor so I'm contractually obligated to do well this year in hare scrambles. This means I'll actually go to more than 3 or 4 a year.

Pic of the old (stolen) KTM:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Sometimes bros need to get pumped up.

VIDEOS TO PUMP YOU UP;
2012 John Day GP Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkJm1QqUFiY
Kilbarger Project: http://vimeo.com/16602962
2010 GNCC Highlights: http://vimeo.com/16260518

EDIT: Can we two stroke bias this thread as much as possible?

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 7, 2012

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

That's a great photo. A friend that knows how to shoot a camera is priceless.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

My buddy Chris bought a 2005 KTM 250 SX with woods ridin' mods. This is his replacement for his KDX which was stolen at the same time as my KTM mid last year.

The first thing he does? Crash it at the top of 2nd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nw_ndyzyFk

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Getting ready for Sandy Lane. Tightened up all my spokes, rejetted, new air filter and of course:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Race tomorrow!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

AncientTV posted:

I feel like I should think that is cool, but I have absolutely no idea what it is supposed to convey. Endurance mile markers, mayhaps?

Sorta! It's an indurance route chart. The left column is the minute you're on. The middle column is the mile you need to be at on that minute, and the right column is the average speed to achieve such a thing.

Silver, you gotto hand rotate it.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I've seen them used, but I was never able to get used to one when I tried it. You don't find it distracting?

Well, it's nearly god drat impossible to ride through nasty single track and keep track. Essentially I'm cross referncing this chart with a computer on my handlebars. I can only really do it on the firecut roads When you're in the nasty single track you're behind anyway so you just GoGoGo.

I learned that down in Jersey where they don't have rocks or hills they make it hard by having endless miles of sub handlebar squeezes. Everyone was baffled that I didn't have my bars cut down. It was very strange for me because I wasn't breathing hard or anything, but it was really nasty in there.

In the end I got seventh in my class. I don't know how many were in it, but when I asked the guy updating the board he said "a ton" so I'm pretty happy. I was going so god drat slow in the squeeze sections.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Bike with scorecard taped to the front pre-race

Buddies and buddies bieks:

It was the 75th anniversary of this race. Met Jack Penton (badass). They had some vintage bikes out:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The GasGas had the worst set-up suspension out of the box I've ever ridden. Really.

Good thing then I always get a respring and revalve. The motor is epic, the chassis is pliable. I love the machine. The Six Days model came with a skid plate and radiator guards which is pretty awesome.

All in all, it's a bit bigger than the 09 KTM 200XCW it replaced, but a bit lighter. The motor is better. The rest is about the same.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

The Desert 100 is this weekend! Two 50 mile laps through eastern Washington, and we're scheduled for rain and a little bit of snow :v:

How'd it go Gullous?

Got access to my old hare scramble track back. It's about 9 miles long. About 10 minutes after I showed up none other than NETRA AA #1 and #12 showed up. They were incredibly quick. At my very best they cought up to me after 1 lap and I had a quarter mile head start.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

Anyhow, it owned and I took my KTM off some SWEET jumps bros.

:cheers:

So what's your opinion of dirt so far? Would you recommend to others? For everyone?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

It was intense! I really enjoyed the riding, but the 690 called it quits 40 miles in. It threw a limp code on the dash, we'll see. I was really upset, they ran an adventure class this year (652cc and above) and I was in the lead! Granted there were only 5 of us ( three finished, and a 990 went in the river!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo when are you getting a real dirtbike?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I took some videos yesterday but because I'm hella dumb they were too long and need to be re-uploaded. Anyone know of free video editing software that isn't the windows stuff?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So if you want to be cool and fast don't record your gopro vid from your last lap when you're exhausted. I actually cut the course because I didn't want to try the rocks with my claw hands. Regardless, part 1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeti1ORQ9PE

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Hooray 2t buddy

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Bikes always run the best just before they blow up.

Now that you have the piston off, does the crank move freely?

And if it does, are the crack or the con rod bearings shot?

To test the con rod bearings pull on the connecting rod. It can wiggle side to side but should have zero up and down play.

Taking the left side cover off and wiggle the almost non existant flywheel. If it can wiggle up and down your con rod bearings are blown.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

I have minimal experience in engine overhauls, but isn't the mentality "replace all wear items when you're in there?

Would it be excessive to replace all the lower bearings? Is there a concern of debris mucking up the bottom end?

I've actually never replaced a bottom end. Never was necessary.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

invision posted:

It seems like the bottom end is fine. I didn't take the left cover off, but I did the "pull on the con rod test" and it passed. Should that be sufficient?

Also tell me a good way to get piston pieces out of the engine without splitting the case.

I got a circlip I dropped in their out by filling the bottom end with premixed gasoline and turning it upside down. Came out with the gas.

EDIT: Now might be the time to do a YZ144 kit? Get it ported for more bottom end? It would probably cost only marginally more than replacing what you have?

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 20, 2012

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Been really fine tuning the GasGas lately. Fiddling with jetting, control position, etc.

I cut the threaded rod on the rear master cylinder so the pedal is adjusted lower so I can ride my rear brake again. I also drilled into the plastic and zip tied it closer to the frame so it doesn't get cought on my boots.

Finally, after lots of fiddling yesterday I hit the holy grail of my front end suspension set-up. I was having a lot of packing and harshness when smashing through rocks at high speed. I increased the rebound two clicks, and spent lap after lap adjusting the front fork spring preload.

Now, instead of deflecting and bouncing around, the bike will just walk over all manner of obstacles without deflecting and causing my wrists grief. Ready to race on sunday!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I had a baaaaad race hah.

I got brutalized fairly signficantly in the first minute in a domino effect crash. This bent my shift lever back and under my footpeg. I was stuck in first gear the entire race. Also, my chain came off twice, which is weird because it's adjusted to where I always keep it, guess I need to make it tighter than three fingers.

Despite this I managed to stay on the lead lap and finished dead center in my class, but it's kind of a piss off. I came very close to just stopping after the first lap due to frustration.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

Good on you for sticking it out! First is pretty drat slow. How did you crash, and were you hit from behind? Maybe that incident moved your rear wheel, giving the chain enough slack to jump off... Just a theory

That's a really good theory. Yeah I was very frustrated. There was about a mile and a half of field track that I was stuck going about 10 mph in. Sort of embarrasing.

I had paid my money so I just decided to stick it out. I made it a game to try and pass people in first. Went from 17th to 9th by the end, which is ok I guess. A far cry from good though.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 14, 2012

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

My trials experience went like this:

Year 1: Learn a lot
Year 2: Compete a lot
Year 3: Win enough to get promoted out of your depth and hurt yourself
Year 4: Bike company goes out of business, sell bike

Tada!

(Awesome bike by the way)

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

FWIW here's my current (for sale) trials bike all cleaned up!

Saga and I are TY buddies.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

New shift lever (and oil and air filter) and back on the horse! Race tomorrow!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Deeters posted:

Connecticut registration for any of the state forests.

You're down in CT? Let me ask the NETRA bros.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

\ but am I going to die in a tangled mess of rocks, mud and shrubbery on this thing?

Yes, but this is bike independant.

Also if you're riding offroad that bikes suspension (expensive) and gearing (cheap) will slap you in the balls. Otherwise it's gr8.

I always recommend folks get an offroad bike anyway (in this case WR450) if they can find one.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I'm going to take a contrary position here, but first, I agree, no one should ride a moto X bike unless that's a primary passtime. Always woods.

I've had many new riders saddle up on a WR450 or 450XCW and just pop it into second and ride it at idle to GREAT effect. The heavy flywheel weight on these make it such that it doesn't spin up easy, and almost never stalls.

This strategy always has the whiskey throttle problem, but it's rarer than you think.

EDIT: Dirt Bike Bros: The Whiskey Throttle Problem

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 30, 2012

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

If you actually had me on ignore you wouldn't be so hilariously easy to troll. :allears:

Anyways, new job is sorting out and I'll be finally buying a dirtbike soon. I'm planning on doing some supermoto to, so I was leaning towards an early model YZ250F as there's a lot of compatibility between the years for wheel and suspension swaps. Is there a reason I should be looking at other 250s? Also, ca has the green sticker/red sticker thing and the early YZs were green sticker so that's another mark in favor of them.

If it's before 02? or 03? It doesn't have auto decompression, but you can put the newer cam in and have it magically.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

Nope, manual decomp too.

Make sure you have a nice fresh kickstarter (or buy the decomp cams, they drop right in).

An 02 YZ250 with a sharpened kickstarter from years of starting will cut straight through your boot. Ask me how I know.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

When half the field has the button, I don't understand the policy.

Kickstarting is faster than the button. When I ran my WR in races I'd kick and press the button at the same time.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

That one appears to be missing something.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I notice the San Jose stickers. Are all yall Californians around San Jose? Going to be in that area for 5 days for Moto GP. We can bro-it-up.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

Should I put the 18 inch rear off of the Yz I bought on my WR? Stock for the WR is a 17.

I'd check again. Stock YZ wheels are 19" and stock WR wheels are 18". My buddies 2002 YZ250F has a 19" for example, my 2006 WR250F had an 18".

It's been pretty much a industry standard since 88 or so that MotoX has 19" and offroad has 18". Beyond the increased sidewalls ize on 18" to prevent pinchflats, I'm not sure the advantages of either.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So some interesting news,

I learned I ruptured a tendon im my wrist (rugby injury actually). As a result I havn't ridden in a month and need hand surgery, but my race results have been marred by endless technical difficulties (broken shift lever at the start of Nutmeg State, bike wouldn't start on the line of CATRA). A buddy of mine offered to trade his 09 CRF450X with toys (autoclutch) for my GG. I think since my wrist is more or less ruined at the moment I might go with it and race for giggles on the new platform.

Why not right? New experiences, try the series again next year.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I had a strange moment last night when I sat down to find a youtube of the X games enduro X final. I realized I know the woman who ultimately got second place. I had to make some phone calls to confirm I'm not crazy. Small world, dirtbiking. (Trials specifically).

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So I havn't been riding really for the past four months. I separated some ribs, then epicly broke my finger about a month ago (wrestling a fat guy). Three cracks in my right middle finger with two ruptured tendons.

That being said, I'm going to be very stupid and race on Saturday. It's the only Vermont race (not the championship either, some low rent race series), and I've been YELLING at my friends to go. Now they're going and I need to be there. I might as well toodle around the track and go-pro some poo poo.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Hooray. The broken finger prevails.

Unfortunately I destroyed my junk during an ill timed fall.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

vollgasflorett posted:

Other than that what would you guys suggest as a most worthwhile first upgrade or upgrade path to get the most out of something like the little Yam offroad?

The only upgrade for you is tires. The rest is a new bike. Enjoy the DT, learn if dirt is your thing, then spend $1000 on a KDX when you've made the decision to stay.

In the mean time get some good offroad tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The KDX is "the" gateway offroad bike. The 1995+ KDX 200 and 1997+ KDX 220 represent old technology as tehk has mentioned, but they have some significant advantages.

They are inexpensive, and in stock format have low end luggable power. They have a low seat height which is a good thing for the new offroad rider. They are also very easy to make street legal in the US (the stock top end will last 30,000 MILES). If you decide you want to step up and do some racing, $500 dollars will double the horsepower of the bike from stock.

If you really want to race you can invest in $200 dollars of ebay parts to adapt the Motocross bikes (KX125, KX250) front forks to the KDX. All this requires is a press and some bearings.

Yes tehk is correct in that it has "oldschool" handling. When I jump on a KDX it takes a lot more rider input to turn the thing. My assumption in my recommendation is that it's a gateway bike.