Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I have no information on that model as it didn't make it to the US. I can almost guarantee you do not want a 125 though. Save your money and wait for the 200 or 220 to come up. Saga might chime in as he has had a Euro spec KDX.

The KDX will not work for motocross, the front suspension is too squishy (unless you swap it as I mentioned above). It will take you to victory in trail riding, enduro riding, and hare scrambling though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So I got rid of the GasGas. I decided to try the "more power but with a rekluse" approach just for giggles.

I've not been riding too much because of a cyst in my right wrist (getting removed soon), and breaking my right middle finger with associated ruptured tendons. I threw all the injury to the wind today and went riding with a new bike.

I got myself a 2011 KTM 250 XC. It has a GPR steering stabilizer, Rekluse clutch, all the guards, bib mouse and tire balls in the wheels, and electric start.

It's been raining quite hard, but I said screw it and went to ride a (very slimy) local track. You can see me struggling through it below. A combination of no fitness, lack of riding, new bike, and slimy rocks make it slow going. I hope to post a second video sometime soon to show some improvement back to the norm, We'll see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5KG06lAio4

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Awesome!

Dug into my rekluse. It was dragging so I disassembled it. I had to call Rekluse and fine a minimum gap spec (between the rekluse pressure plate and the clutch pack) as they only give you a max spec. Turns out I was too tight by a ludicrous amount.

I also reset the settings to stock. Soft engagement at a medium RPM. I like the soft engagement, but I need to set it to a lower rpm. I hate having to rev it up a bit to get the bike to move.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

Speaking of... what kinda tires you guys favor?

I use M403 and M404. They're reversible and a set will last you a year (me not so much). I do ride different terrain than you (it appears via video) so ask around.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 23, 2012

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So awesome to see so many people racing. It's the reason I like dirtbiking so much. Pulling off racing so easily and cheaply is not available in most motorsports.

I put a floppier spring in my Rekluse so it engages at very low RPMs. It now runs flawlessly. I also raised my fork tubes in my clamps to remove a front wash condition. Went sand riding sunday and didn't notice any high speed head shake.

I really love this bike. I was riding with my old crew with folks I used to be in line with, and now blow past them. So easy to ride, and the bibs give it sooo much traction.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

The reclukse is completely disengaged when the bike is off? I thought it would be engaged as it requires the spinning of the clutch basket to disengage. Learn something everyday :)

It requires the spinning of the clutch basket to engage, not disengage. The balls are held at a lesser diameter by spring force. As the bike spins up the balls push outwards overcoming the spring force, moving up a ramp which closes the clutch pack.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silliest trophy:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I brought my wheels to RevDrMosesPLester to switch on the trelliborgs because A) I never change trelliborgs by hand and B) My bike has bib mousse in it and that's a bitch.

The first race of the year is January 20th. The snow run!

Here's a video from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdpmeETtXSo

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The W is the winningest bike in the new england championship hare scrambles.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

MosesPLester got my tires and wheel bearings on today. Bike sticks like velcro.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Oh god it's so clean. Never again!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I've tried the Ossa 280i trails bike. It's amazingly awesome. The FI is perfect. A friend has owned it for a year now with no problems.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Saga posted:

Was that a mis-type for trials bike or did you mean the Ossa Enduro?

It appears the Explorer is just a regeared version of the 280i motor with taller ratios near the top and a ~90mph 6th gear (not achievable without extreme danger presumably), so that's good news. A couple of youtube videos suggest it's more than capable of keeping up with traffic though.

Haven't had much luck tracking down actual written reviews of the Explorer, although at least one of the UK dealers claims to have one in stock. Being a trials company however, I doubt they understand the concept of demo bikes.

Yes trials bikes. Awfully easy to mess that up.

When we do trials events we race them as fast as we can down the trails. 6th gear is remarkably tall, and I can tell you from experience, that poo poo is incredibly unstable.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Going back to snowbike this weekend with a good crowd of folks. Go-proing this time. So excited.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I have one on my KTM 250 XC. I tuned it for low RPM grab, but soft engagement. Works very well in the woods over rocks and roots. Of course, the bike worked well in the woods by itself.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Had another wonderful day snowbiking today. I brought the go-pro but left it in the truck :v:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

First race of the season is on Sunday!

I'm pretty pumped too, I've been riding a lot on this snow.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

:siren: RACE REPORT :siren:

It was a winter race for approximately 1 lap, then it was a mud race. Footpeg deep ruts everywhere. Everyone was struggling.

I had two races. The first two laps I was 3rd in my class, and top 10 overall. In the third lap I railed a VERY deep newly created rut (wasn't there previous lap) around a blind corner and smashed into some poor soul who was stuck in the rut with a dead bike. 10 minutes later I was still there, no where to go helping the guy get his bike out. I was boxed in from behind, and someone made a new path through the woods. When I went around again I was 11th in my class and like 40th overall.

I was exhausted so I just finished out about 4 more laps and called it done.

So, the good side, is I have the speed to win these things (which is new!), but I need to ride a bit smarter, hah.

Here's a good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml8xdDzCjoA

You can see many pictures in this ADVrider thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20551233&postcount=14

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Edit: At work so no sound on video, but looking at the pictures, is that a 2 stroke only event? Don't think I spotted a single thumper.

The winter race is an exception as the trails are wide and the track is short. Our championship series has very long tracks with mostly rooty and rocky singletrack. Not many four strokes because the extra top heaviness wears people out very quickly.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

I'm looking at a 2000 KTM 300 EXC this week.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3569972742.html

$1750, oil changed every ride. Thoughts? It's a little old, but research shows it's a solid bike and not totally outdated.

This was prior to the switchable ignition and really heavy flywheel weight. This bike rips, and will be hard to ride compared to the 06+ equiv.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Same, its a two stroke, so any changeable oil isnt being exposed to runoff from combustion events unless something is very wrong with the motor.

:siren: I bet your clutch side crank seal leaks more than you expect :siren:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

:cheers:

EXC = Enduro
MXC = Motorcross as far as I know.

The analogy isn't perfect but, EXC = XC-W MXC = XC and SX = SX

MXC is still a woods bike, but as I said above, they're a lot meaner back then than they are now.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 30, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

My semi-retired parents are going down to Florida for a month (OH GOD), and invited me down for bike week. Supercross and GNCC racing is a tough one to ignore. I really want to ride a GNCC this year, but I can't think of a way to get my biek to Florida.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I got suckered into competing in the JDay winter triple crown. Mostly because this year it has snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKz8wAg-X3w

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

18" of snow is dropping on the site of my race on sunday. Woop!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Track preview for Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHwG_H97mo

I'm lovin' it. JDay looks like such a cakewalk compared to nasty rear end NETRA championship events. Of course, this kind of race encourages balls to the walls speed, instead of survival so it's entirely different. Can't wait. They just said they plowed the track for the 3rd time. 12 more inches of snow fall to go!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

That will either be an ice rink or a mud pit, either way it will be awesome. Try to keep track of how many times you crash.

It's going to be pretty odd for me. 30 minute motos instead of two hour marathons! I'm hoping for great things though, I was in the top 5 of about 90 people on a much tougher NETRA course for the first 40 minutes.

EDIT:

Incidentally, when they posted the race results from NETRA I got 5th in my class :v: . Looks like I should have stayed around for trophies. NETRA is filled with really talented people, so I have this awful ability to drive away from a trophy (albiet not a good one...) because I feel disappointed.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 9, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

They postponed the race due to 3 feet of snow. :argh:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Holeshot! Good racing today.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Low rent youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_A302KFGZA

I'll be going down for round 2 on Sunday.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Both holeshots on Sunday! Pics soon.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I'm totally hogging the thread.

Welp, this race they had a very large hill in the extreme section. In moto 1 I was jumping it and getting huge/fun air. In moto 2 I got the holeshot again, but due to a huge rut that formed from the pro class an hour before, I was railing through and got a nice lead on everyone. This time (because I wanted to keep it), I rolled off the throttle on the hill to maximize the speed at the top:

I consequently set the fastest lap of the race at 4:40. Booyah.

EDIT: Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSvAdb1XgI

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 27, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

It's time to take off the Trelliborgs and reknob the KTM.

Before Saturday's hare scramble I need to:

Install a Pirelli MT-43
Going to try a new Geomax front
Learn to hate Moose Bibs
Install a new plastic body and Graphix (yo)
Install grips
Install my newly blown out expansion chamber and pipe guard
Rejet for temperatures of about 40 degrees F.

and most important, regap my Rekluse.

This race on Saturday is a reintroduction to rocks so when the championship starts in earnest I can perform at least moderately well.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

JP Money posted:

Which year? I've lusted after a crf450 ever since they came out but I'm scared to death their valves will die a painful death with zero notice. I've heard all the early models had valve problems and even stainless aren't perfect.

I can confirm a 2009 CRF450X (note the X) model a friend bought new has not needed adjustment so far. He checks yearly. He's not a ripper, but races enduros.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Racing the first non-snow championship race on Sunday. Running a trials tire (which I've not done on an endure bike for a long time). Track preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTel-yEES40&hd=1

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

Woof, muddy and wide open.

Hard to tell because the rider is AA, but the track is brutally rocky. I hope to just sit in low RPM 3rd and fourth gear and cheat with my recluse. Super flat and wide though! Low stress, just very fitness oriented.

I'm still planning on rolling thru OK on my way to CO! We'll have to set that up soooon

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The second championship race was wild. About 200 people on the track. Unfortunately we had 1 death and two mediflights out. The death was a heart attack (not crash related), but the other two folks broke their spines.

I'll post a more complete report later, but below is ~*my girlfriend *~ riding through one of the shallower water holes. The course had 3 airbox level streams to go through, and about 10 more normal ones like in the pic:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Low rent youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLBsBAfsKyk

I love these races because even the AA are crawling around in 2nd.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

That upside down text cracks me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Work is finally slowing down enough that I may be riding dirt again...more than the trials bike in the yard or balance practice inside. Ran around a bit this last weekend and discovered that I need hand guards pretty badly, touchy brakes and small branches/vines/etc are a dangerous combo.

I picked up some small endurance Cycra guards that were in the bargain bin but now I'm thinking I may go with the basic aluminum bar option instead. How do the simple aluminum bar type guards work for single track type riding? Ideally looking for something small and light.

They work well for protecting hands but won't stop you from breaking a finger with a 450 throwing a rock at your hand. They also don't align with the levers so they won't protect them from being grabbed by brush. You need the plastic guards over the aluminum for that.