Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

invision posted:

Hopefully this guy buys my boat this week so I can get this crap shipped off and fixed. It looks so sad, sitting in the garage staring at it's little TT-R 125 brother, both broken and in pieces.

How's that TTR project going? I saw it posted somewhere else, but don't remember what was wrong with it. They're crazy easy to get running.

Contributing to thread: I've currently got 5 bikes and 3 of them are not running or in total pieces :negative: Luckily Honda XR's are bomb proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

invision posted:

Another Texas goon? Awesome!

REALLY low compression and needs a new carb. I'm guessing rings and a carb and it'd be good to go.

Howdy partner :clint: I reside in the town now called dfw, you?. Wait... how did you know I was from Texas? :tinfoil:

Really low compression? Rings at the minimum, also want to check your valves. The xr I'm rebuilding right had really low compression and ended up the valves were also shot...but it was a lot older than yours. Note to anyone looking to get a service manual for parts/rebuilds, don't get a Clymer. I see them at every shop, but spend the extra time/money to get the oem repair manual. Ktm, honda, and yamaha all have had good oem manuals so far.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

In what's probably not the wisest financial decision I've ever made, I traded my 94 Mustang GT for a 2008 KTM XC-F 250 today. Aside from putting around on my friend's old XR100 a few years ago, this will be my first motorcycle experience at all. I'm super excited/nervous/prepared to be hospitalized.

Excellent choice. I've had 2 of them (250 sx-f). Rebuilt one and the other was my personal bike. May want to look into a manual cam chain tensioner, but other than that they are super bikes.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

VTNewb posted:

The only upgrade for you is tires. The rest is a new bike. Enjoy the DT, learn if dirt is your thing, then spend $1000 on a KDX when you've made the decision to stay.

In the mean time get some good offroad tires.

Yep, I would be sure everything is in decent working order (cables, carb, tires, bearings) before I put any more money into it. Unless it's sentimental, ride the piss out of it and then upgrade to a more modern bike in the future. Have fun with it, I've heard good things about those DT's.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Anyone happen to have a ktm 450sx, or any other ktm with the older RFS motor? I just rebuilt one and had some questions.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Zool posted:

That will do it, a brand new bike can be pretty hard to kick over. He's going to change the oil before he rides it again right?

Speaking of... my 250sx-f has gotten pretty easy to kick over, and pretty hard to start. I was looking at ordering a new piston. The Vertex aftermarket piston says it goes in an 2006-2012, but the CR went from 12.8:1 to 13.2:1 in 2011. It could be that the piston didn't change, but I'd rather not inadvertently lower the compression. I guess Vertex should know though, TT says they make the OEM piston too.

Have you checked your valve clearness lately? I'd take a look at them if you're going to change the piston. What year sx-f? I've been using CP pistons in the last 2 KTM's I rebuilt and really liked them.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

predictive posted:

I've been riding street for 20ish years, and I'm looking for a cheap way to try dirt with a motor (I mountain bike). Is this bike a good way to try it cheap?

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5044228023.html

I'm not afraid to wrench on it some if I need to to get it tip top, but this is a price point I can buy right now, so if it's probably a decent deal I'll go snap it up.

Yeah, a ktm 200 would be a good start for the dirt. Not as abrupt as a 125, but still enough power to not get bored. Only thing with that bike is that new clutch cover, either the motor has been swapped or just the clutch cover is new. A newer model motor wouldn't be bad, just gotta know the year for ordering parts and all. Here's what it should look like http://georgiaoffroad.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55215

I'd try for <$1500, but judging from his ad just show up with any thing remotely close to his asking price and you'll probably get it. Sounds like he's learned the joys of selling on craigslist :v:

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

These are awesome, not sure why there's two of each though.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0055-Feeler-Gauge/dp/B000GTZNYI

Yerok, have you ever had bad luck with aftermarket jets compared to oem (keihin/mikuni)? I've mainly been burned by the lack of them being labeled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Anyone selling or know someone who is selling a 06+ KTM 200 in the Dallas/Houston/Denver area? I feel like i'm starting to lose brain cells after talking to craigslist sellers.