Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
put new tires on the kx, a Michelin starcross sand 4 on the rear and a soft Pirelli on the front. also laced a new rim on the rear

all kinds of bite in the corners, these tires are gnarly bro

also made some brackets for the hand guards because the aceribis ones are garbage and I could not find any strong ones that were compatible

this happened earlier this winter:

Runs a little better now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Z3n posted:

Yeah if I could find a KX for cheap and a KDX for cheap I'd do it for sure. We'll see how things go.
I am guessing the KDX motor produces manageable power? And the KX 125 has a nice frame and suspension?

It sounds like a nice combo but unless you get both very cheap it does not really make sense to me. In my area at least KX 250s are more common than KDXs and have similar prices. When I was shopping for a dirtbike I searched for both KDXs and KXs and found a KX 250 to be a much better deal. I would get a KX 250 and add a flywheel weight and different pipe to it before I would go about making a hybrid, but I guess it depends on what kind of bikes are available in your market.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

yeah 2t are a blast and when you do get back on a 4t it just seems to change they way it feels for awhile (not in a bad way)

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

entered my first harescramble a couple of weeks back, took a beating but it was a blast.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Z3n posted:

Should I put the 18 inch rear off of the Yz I bought on my WR? Stock for the WR is a 17.

put a 18 tire on a 17 rim with like eight rim locks

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

drat that is a hell of a back up bike!

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Picked up my KX on Friday evening, guy that had it was great. $500, came with new hinson clutch basket, extra clutch, new (non installed) rear tire, extra shock, stock springs, etc.

Started work on it on Saturday, pulled motor and I have it ready to be split, waiting on tools which will be here tomorrow (Tuesday). Sending crank to be rebuilt and cylinder to be re-plated.

Frame should be stripped down tonight so I can sandblast and paint it, probably finish that next week.

Picked up a 2007 KLX 110 last night for my wife (and me too, fun little things). All stock, in great shape.

any reason why you did not just buy a crank kit? just wondering because that is what I did for my 2000 KX. Just seemed like the simplest way and the price seemed good to me.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Guni posted:

Dirt bike bro's! I need some advice, does anyone have any experience with neck braces? I have pretty much everything except a neck brace and kidney belt and my birthday is coming up, so I was wondering if a neck brace does much and if they're a worthy investment? Note that I ride trails/enduro type stuff, no mx at all (I suck at mx!). Also any brands to recommend?

Sorry to be a hassle but does anyone have any experience with gopro HD hero2's? I was looking at picking one up to film my dad and I when we ride.

I have a Leatt (an older one, not sure which would be the equivalent new model). I like it and I think that it provides important protection. I have been hitting harescrambles this summer and have had some high-sides (I am a poo poo rider) where I was glad I had it on. No proof that it works other than I have no injuries from these falls, but for me it is well worth it because my neck was sore from these falls. I don't want to know what my neck would feel like if I did not have it on.

I don't see a whole lot of people wearing them but to me it is cheap insurance to wear one.

I would recommend a Leatt but I have not tried any other brands. Leatt has the best looking design to me (in terms of protection) Alpinestars looks pretty neat to.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

finished up the season for harescrambles recently. I never placed higher than a middle position in C class, no trophies but I had fun and I think that it has made me a better rider both on and off road. Ended up with seventh place by points for the district mainly because I only missed one race.

This was my first year racing and if you are thinking about doing it just get out there and try it, you will probably like it.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Silver posted:

What's your time format? We're going from 1.5 hours +1 lap to 2 hours I believe here. I think I'm sticking in trail riders next year which is a 1 hour race for newbs. Not sure yet.

one hour, most of the time you end up riding 1:15-20 to finish up whatever lap you are on. One race ended up being two laps (tough race) another I hit six laps, the leader in C class usually had one more lap than me. B class and above run 2 hours. one hour is plenty long for me. This is AMA organized, not sure how others do it

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

ohhhhhhhhhh that is a nice KDX, how much?

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Ramsus posted:

I couldn't believe how hard it pulled. I got a flash of adrenaline during the test ride when I got on the gas like I'd normally do on the 450. Things light and revs fast as hell even with the flywheel weight! I'm pretty excited.

yeah I love the motor on my 2000 kx250. Got the gnarly pipe and flywheel weight for woods work on mine. How did the front end end feel? honestly mine is crap when it comes to the front end, even with proper valving and springs

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

never stop silver

how badly have you hurt yourself?

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

ha, looks a little dirty

i have yet to have a good mud race

this was my last harescramble

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

http://appleton.craigslist.org/mcy/4116001941.html

going to look at this tomorrow, is the price any good?

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

blurry cell picture of 2011 ktm 300 xc that i got recently. I was able to ride it yesterday for a good test.

This bike moves alright, there was only once that I thought could use a bit more power. The springs are way to stiff for me but once I get them reworked and the bars raised this bike is going to be perfect.

it has the auto clutch which is handy for not stalling but other than that it is not that useful. I would probably not drop the money on a auto clutch if it did not already have one.

the previous owner removed the e-start which given the auto clutch makes sense. dropped near 9 pounds by doing so. I would not use the e-start for cold starts or hole shots anyways and it kicks easy enough (although you can tell it is a 300)

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Silver posted:

Nice on the bike Vork!! When did you think it needed more power? The 300XC-W which is a step below power on yours I thought was a monster. My 200 came with auto clutch so I've only test ridden and ridden a few buddies bikes that are clutch only. Seem to do ok with it, I hear it's the really tight stuff where it shines, per my buddy who had one but hasn't put one in on his new bike. Also what model? Does it have the full clutch override?

not sure on the clutch model, but it seems to have the full clutch override. I guess I did not know there were different models.
It has the gnarly pipe so there is some loss on the top end but the low and mid pull is insane which is what I need. There was a steep extremely sandy uphill on the mototrack which used all the power it had. I cant complain though because it still had enough power to walk past a 450 on that hill :v:

I am amazed at how light it is considering how much power it has

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

A Scotts or a GPR for a steering stabilizer

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

nearly got it ready for the season, just got to finish up some bark buster and the grips

Taking it in the snow was a bad idea, it threw the chain. Not sure what happened, might have been some ice, or a lovely master link. Importantly nothing seems to have been broke. Going to get a chain I think.

BRP mounts are awesome

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Spiffness posted:

That is really cool. So the bark buster attaches to the top of the triples? That looks ideal if that is the case.

Took the 450 XC-W out for it's first run in 4 or so months. Completely blown away all over again by how good that bike is. I was out of shape and out of practice and the bike hid my lovely riding beautifully. So much power and yet so much control over it. 1st and 2nd gear on the trails on that thing are absolutely delightful.

Most importantly, hilariously, hilariously fast.

yeah the bark busters attach to those top BRP handle bar clamps/mounts. I hate the type that clamp to the handle bar again, they always will rotate. On my old bike I made some mounts that attached to the top fork pinch bolts, but this KTM has them on the back side, but these BRP mounts seem just as good or better.

I bought the stabilizer kit from Slavens racing, so it is a Scotts stabilizer, but with BRP mounts and they are nice. I had problems with the scotts mounts on my old bike, so I am looking forward to seeing how this setup works.

I like running a stabilizer, it seems to cut down on a lot of fatigue for me.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Yeah the extra stability at high speeds is nice and I like when the quick grabs from roots rocks get dampened by the stabilizer.

I know what you are saying, on my old bike I would have to take them off once in a while and re-bend them, I don't know we will see how this setup lasts with cycra probends.

I should be going to the Oklahoma offroad cup provided my team does not flake. three riders that switch off and race for nine hours. should be fun.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Silver posted:

Link?

I took mine out for quick shake down run around the block and either the thermostat is leaking or the hoses around the thermostat. Currently going to pull it and just go get new full length hose and eliminate thermostat for now. Glad I ran it around the block and found it out before finding it out in the middle of trails or a race. Whoo.

Alternately a guy on KTMtalk said his was leaking one time and he just had to tighten the screws on the thermostat casing and all was fine. So if that's it. Rad.

http://www.theoffroadcup.com/Home_Page.php

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

I am a wisco home boy. run enduros and harescrambles. Mostly go to Dyracuse park for practice/messing around, so if you ever come up to central wisconsin it is a good place to ride. Super sandy.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Alright, time to start browsing CL for a 250 2t for my first dirtbike. You've put the want in my head.

slippery slope, that CL $1000 kx250 ended up getting completely rebuilt and now it was joined by 2011 KTM 300 XC

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Silver posted:

Off road cup this past weekend, a 9 hour team endurance race. I didn't ride but did pit work and video stuff for 2 buddies who were iron manning it. Talk about dammnnn, they didn't skimp on terrain either. Rough rough stuff. Note my buddies vote of confidence in my at the first part of the vid, lol.

Look at the different terrain, some carnage, one ALLLMOST over the bars stoppy, and some "Don't pass in the chute dickhead!" video from the 9 hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITvDlk0qJGA

i was there bro, and yeah my C team did not do that well(12th in C class), we had NO IDEA it would be ALL ROCKS. we finished though

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Silver posted:

Nice!! Yeah, all fresh cut trail, no one knew what it was going to be like. I pitted for two bro's who ran Iron Man in it and it pretty much kicked their rear end. I should have PM'ed you, I remembered afterwards that a goon was probably going to be there too. Watching the vid there were definitely a few sketch parts on the course too, looked fun though. But not for 9 effin hours fun. 12th ain't that bad, you have any mishaps? Buddy of mine is going to have to have knee surgery. Another blew his rear hub. 1 bro with 2 flats, another with a flat, another with almost broken wrist and another who almost dislocated his shoulder. Crazy stuff.

My buddy had two flats, but other than that we were fine, except for the normal scratches and bruises. I did six laps and yeah I was slow. The some of the tight woods sections would just be entirely fist sized rocks and bigger, never really experienced rocks like that before. Plus all the up and down hill sections.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

VTNewb posted:

I think its worth pointing out that in our championship enduro and harescramble series not anyone in our top 10 has a bike over 250cc

here in the midwest the top enduro and harescrambles riders are similar, nobody consistently rides a 450. Mid range 4t bikes are popular (husky 310, ktm350).

anybody around here that races a 450 in enduros and harescrambles is considered crazy.

4t vs 2t and 250 vs 450. there are so many variables. Terrain, rider skill, condition of the bike, how the bike is set up, etc. Making blanket statements about what bike you should get as a beginner is sort of ridiculous. Even saying get a 250 4t (which in my opinion I think would be the best to learn on) is problematic, because there is vast difference in a newish 250 4t and a 10 year old 250 4t. Buying a POS bike of any flavor can end up causing a new rider to be frustrated.

Ideally a rider would be able to test ride a wide variety bikes and find out which one they have the most fun on, because that is what riding and racing should be about (unless you are a pro athlete), just having fun.

picturessssssssss

me and a buddy at last years Loose Moose National Enduro, this was my favorite race from 2014, really neat

http://youtu.be/4Mai3j92Q7Q

a muddy race from last spring:

winter maintenance, left is XC 300, right is 250 KX. I did not have very good luck this year

XC300 cylinder

I went to US Chrome recently, neat place. they are probably the nations largest cylinder re-plating company (for all sorts of 2t stuff) and i found out I get dealer pricing, which is nice.

Vork!Vork!Vork! fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 17, 2015

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

I know the KTM manual says 60:1, but that seems too light for me, I usually always run 40:1 in my 300 XC.

As for jetting, do you have the manual? I would reset everything to stock settings and then try and start adjusting. Used bikes probably had who knows how many people messing around in there.

This was the first enduro for the year, 33 degrees and freezing rain, had to knock the ice off the bike before the start.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Midwest Mountain Engineering levers are dope, reduced clutch pull force

recent race, only a little muddy!

also that last harescramble I was an idiot. I tried to double a moto jump, suspension bottomed out and then my ankles, :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Who should I send my rear shock, and maybe forks, out to in the western US? Looking for a rebuild and maybe a revalve... if the price isn't insane.

Factory Connection?

I am a fan of Factory Connection. I will be sending them my suspension this winter again for a rebuild. I had them rebuild them last winter and they held up good.

What kind of riding are you doing? Racing?

Factory Connection (or any suspension shop) can be pricey for a full rebuild and revalve. Factory Connection does offer free valving adjustment for life (even if the owner changes) which has come in handy for me.

Unrelated, I went to the Ozark 100 miler. It was very wet and cold. I only ended up finishing 50 miles (two laps). Course was fun, but the rain and cold got to me and I did not finish the last moto. The night race was a blast to watch the pros and others that qualified. They had a hill in the night race that threw off most of the pros even. A lot of struggling riders on that rocky hill.

Vork!Vork!Vork! fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 30, 2015