Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
State: UK
Riding: some trials, MX and trail riding
Bike: 1976 TY250B twinshock.
Terrain: Woods...
Other stuff:

Sold my KDX after realising I live in the shittiest part of one of the shittiest countries in Europe (after the low countries) for dirt riding. We basically have a choice of a few overcrowded outdoor MX tracks inhabited by the British equivalent of rednecks or a bunch of extremely short lanes inhabited by people who try to kill riders.

From my neck of the woods...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17113810

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=22&f=74&t=1117363&mid=0&i=0&nmt=Farmer+Kills+Green+Lane+Biker&mid=0

Keeping the TY as you can actually do trials and my in laws have enough land to do the occasional bit of practice. It's having a top end rebuild which will be finished at some point and then hopefully I haven't lost the rest of the bike in various boxes.

e: I want tape leg's trails and also beard. Could I borrow them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I bought a bike with no seat and the kick stand on the wrong side. 2005 Gas Gas TXT 300 Pro

lovely seller's photo since I got home with it at 2am

Already looking for pallets, boulders and other stuff to build a course in the back yard. Am either going to learn a lot or hurt myself on this thing.

Very difficult to hurt yourself, surprisingly, until you get to vtnewb's level and start trying to climb obstacles the size of small buildings. For reasons I don't fully understand, it seems to be easier to go really badly wrong on a bmx or 26" trials bike than the motorised kind. At least that's been my experience. I think maybe because with a bike you have the effect of the crank rotation stabling the bike and a lower c of g.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
In bikes if not in talent! :stare:

My TY twinshock is still in pieces. :( Needs the top end doing as the rings were well and truly shot - blow-by all over the piston. I wasn't sure whether the hollow rattling noise was just the silencer being completely loose after the last time I looped it, but it turned out it was the top end. Might possibly have been the times I rode to work on it. I don't think it enjoyed being wrung-out in fourth for 20 miles at a time.

Of course I have so little time that I then gave the engine in a box to my local bike shop, who are still getting around to ordering the parts after like 2 months. I did take the opportunity to torch and repaint the "silencer" (amplifier?) and order some new pegs to replace the bent originals. I even found the brake pedal spacer that's missing as NOS on ebay, so I'll be able to use the brake without worrying about putting a hole in the cases.

Invision, you should buy that TY mono. I mean look at it, it's a thing of beauty.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Gullous posted:

Ugh, I've been there, Silver. I rushed a tire change Saturday, and woke up to a flat tire. No riding since the shops are closed. Since then I've carried spares.

Ugh, my 690 was showing signs of an electrical short. I had to pull the entire harness to find the wear spot:

Looks like the 690 isn't fully ready to race...

I plan to rewrap the entire harness and add cushioning at the frame contact points. Then look for a real dirt bike :v:

In light of this damage, I wonder how well designed EFI MX bikes are. I imagine they keep the wire count down to a minimum and employ a healthy dose of bracing and cushion.

What is it with KTM? My duke II had the same chafing where the loom moves from the headlamp pod (where all the fuses are) to the chassis. IIRC I found out because if you turned the bars left to the lockstop the engine would stop.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

In what's probably not the wisest financial decision I've ever made, I traded my 94 Mustang GT for a 2008 KTM XC-F 250 today. Aside from putting around on my friend's old XR100 a few years ago, this will be my first motorcycle experience at all. I'm super excited/nervous/prepared to be hospitalized.

Prepare to be hospitalized! (You will have a shitload of fun and also scare yourself shitless first, however.)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Silver posted:

this is u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4XvYHn_b3M

lol no it's me, but it can be you. Buy gear. :cheers:

Remember the indoor practice track where the dude's bike ends up in the roof? I think that's the more likely outcome.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Tape Leg posted:

A YZ450 is a lot of bike. Much more than your average rider is ever going to utilize, let alone need. I suggest finding a 250. Depending on your skill level and what you intend on riding you may want to scale that back to a trail(ish) bike like a WR or a honda 250x or something. A moto bike is really excessive for general loving around. Just my two cents though. Tons of people do it anyway

That's my feeling too RBL, but then I'm a big pussy.

I've done a bit of off-roading and owned a couple of KDXs (220 and a 250SR with a bit of a tune), plus my TY250, and I wouldn't even consider a competition-spec 450. I once borrowed a YZF250 at Golding Barn, which is not a tiny track, and it had more power than I could use. And I mean even on the loving straights.

That's just me o/c, but it seems like trying to both learn offroad technique and deal with the output (and weight) of a healthy 450 is asking to break multiple bones.

If I was buying another dirt bike (I've basically given up due to the lack of meaningful non MX track riding in the south) I would want a road-reg 250 4t or 125/150 2t (e.g. KTM 150XC) with an enduro setup. Most of our legal off road is narrow lanes (albeit I know you posted that you have land to ride on this year), frequently wooded and muddy, so using a big MX bike on them is sort of like riding a turbo 'busa around a minimoto track. Uncomfortable, scary and frustrating.

Like Deeters said, KDXs are frequently available cheap. They're more trail than MX though, so if you want to take it to the track, I'd look for something a bit lighter with a bit more suspension. You want the KDX200 rather than the 220 or the 250 however, as IIRC the 220 and 250 are both import-only, so your kwak dealer will just sneer at you if you need parts. The 200 and 220 are both known for doing massive road mileages/hours without a problem. Another worthy evergreen and candidate for doing 10,000 miles on one set of rings is the CRM250 - skinnier and lighter than the KDX, but decent ones attract a Honda premium.

See e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-HONDA-CRM-250-/160809517743

If you wanted to spend a bit more and have something that will just work, I'd just hunt down a five year old (or newer) WR250F with a V5.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Does anyone have the link to the indoor MX video that was posted in here where the dude's bike ends up in the ceiling and they pick him out of the door, Wile E. Coyote style?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Are you in Jersey? Or was that another Goon?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Nervous in the sense of catastrophic failure .. not from overwhelming power. My 450 was just boring, so no nervousness from that. I have seen too many 4 strokes grenade at the track. While I do care for my machines very well, there is always that chance of failure from a defect in materials. I just hate the fact its generally a 2K repair bill on those bikes if anything goes bad.

I will probably stick with a trusty 125 or 250 2t when I go to buy. Easy to rebuild, and cheap. I just wish prices weren't so out of the park here. 144 kits are nice, but they need to be ported properly to make the best power once the upgrade is done. That generally runs $$$ unless you have a friend who does porting work.

What about a 150XC or SX?

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/150-xc-usa.html#.T-3FdxdfGSo

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Tell me about it!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Anyone tried the Freeride three-fiddy, Ossa Explorer or Sherco X-Ride?

Our offroad consists of a bunch of tiny, endangered 100m long lanes, the few motocross tracks that have managed to fend off planning challenges from local 1%ers and illegally riding across fields and bridleways ( :( ) . Trials are actually fairly accessible as well, so the idea of something I could use for foul weather/winter commuting, do some green laning on (all 200m of it, the thrill!) and also do the occasional wobbler trial on sounds like it could actually be worth dropping some money on. Especially as the Ossa and Sherco are fairly cheap.

A quick google turned up a video of random Romanians with a Freeride and an X-Ride, which actually made them look pretty good.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

VTNewb posted:

I've tried the Ossa 280i trails bike. It's amazingly awesome. The FI is perfect. A friend has owned it for a year now with no problems.

Was that a mis-type for trials bike or did you mean the Ossa Enduro?

It appears the Explorer is just a regeared version of the 280i motor with taller ratios near the top and a ~90mph 6th gear (not achievable without extreme danger presumably), so that's good news. A couple of youtube videos suggest it's more than capable of keeping up with traffic though.

Haven't had much luck tracking down actual written reviews of the Explorer, although at least one of the UK dealers claims to have one in stock. Being a trials company however, I doubt they understand the concept of demo bikes.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Guy who runs the bike shop next to my office put one in his CRF450 and says it works so well he's selling his 200EXC. So there's at least one believer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ramsus posted:

Stalling the R on steep downhills and technical portions is my biggest issue so I'm saving my pennies for one.

Yeah, in case it wasn't clear, he was saying that it specifically made woods and technical riding much, much easier on the CRF. Hence not needing to keep the 200 any more.