Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I went to Ahtanum State Forest yesterday, second day after opening back up to vehicles/OHVs rather than snowmobiles.
It was surprisingly snow-free. Didn't check out the Darland Mountain loop as that was probably still blocked off by snow. We did do Nasty Creek trail which had almost nothing at all for snow. Just some short, fun patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Verman posted:

Cool, I've been wanting to ride out there, never been. I'll need to replace my top end before I get riding again though :smith:

There are some terrifying trails at Ahtanum* if you know where to look. The majority of it is easily accessible and signed forest roads, double track, and some single track of varying difficulty. It's all greendot roads. It's a really nice place and has been my favorite late spring - fall place to go for Jeep trails and dirtbikes.

* and Naches/Rimrock, the trails systems are linked if you're capable/stupid enough.
Here's Narrowneck Gap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFPmwm_qg0

Edit: Or the appropriately named Pucker Ridge, I mean look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwyJHmhPzfg&t=1205s

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 3, 2021

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm considering a move to the Portland area. Right now I am in Eastern Washington and ride mostly at Juniper Dunes, which is desert shrub + some smaller sand pits and dunes.
I've been to Sandlake last year and that was great. I've also been to McCubbin gulch and that was also ok if a bit small. I'm aware of Tillamook State Forest but my understanding is that the trails are pretty gnarly, which usually doesn't work out for my kids (14 & 17).
What else is there?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've been on the NW side of Adams and it seems like you needed a street-legal dual sport pretty much everywhere since it's National Forest.
This was around Lake Takhlakh

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Oooooh that's right, I remember now. There's the Blue Lake OHV area and I did ride there. I took a wrong turn and went down some expert level trail though. That wasn't great, otherwise very nice area and trails.

Probably a good 3 hours away from Portland though. I'll admit to being spoiled currently as Juniper Dunes is 30 minutes from me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Where's this at?

Haven't been able to ride since right before Christmas. It's been below freezing or right above it this entire time and gently caress riding in that cold. Plus a bunch of snow.
Looks good for next weekend though, so I hope to get some time in at Juniper Dunes then.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Elviscat posted:

Tahuya State Forest in Washington State.

Snow is where I decide that not riding is the right call.

I love riding in the winter out here though, not a lot of other people are willing to brave mid-40's and drizzly weather, so if you do, you get all the trails to yourself.

mid-40's is great, below that not so much.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I tried finding an OEM XR200 carb last year for my kid's KLX140. No luck, only weird knock-offs.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
We rode at Brown's Camp today for the first time. A kid on another KLX140 showed up right as we got there and gave us a trail tour. It was great.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I was a noob to the area and rode only green and blue trails. I think I could have done the green trails on my Monkey with street tires. Pretty easy stuff plus there are many forest service roads, too.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hey, muddy here too. I checked out the Nestucca OHV areas today for the first time with my kids.

And again, local kids gave us a tour of some easier trails so that was great. It's never happened to me before last time at Brown's Camp - and now two in a row.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 16, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Anybody been to the Oregon Dunes? Florence, Winchester Bay, Coos Bay?
I like Sandlake but it's small and gets boring fast.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lol why does everyone keep saying that about dune riding

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I refuse to ride in dunes without paddles.
Regarding maintenance:
The bikes get washed after every trip. I put a silicone headed protectant on them to keep the saltwater air at bay.
I try to clean and lube the chains weekly.
Filter cleaning isn't too bad imo, but it does get old with three bikes.

The oil gets changed more frequently than factory service interval on all three bikes. I lube cables maybe monthly, depending on how much we ride.

I got about 60 hours out of the last rear sprocket I bought for the old EXC250, which isn't great.
Not sure what else I can do, short of not riding them at all

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 24, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm going to go down near Florence or Winchester Bay for some dune riding next weekend. I would have loved to pick a week day but my work schedule isn't allowing for it right now.
So it'll probably be busy AF but I'll give it a try

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Trip report: we went to the northern dunes area near Florence. We did nearly 50 miles and burned 7 gallons between three bikes.
Perfect weather and really not busy at all. The sand was variable. In some places, it was dry, loose and sloppy. Other places, packed and solid.
The riding area was gigantic, including 5+ miles of beach. Tourist dune buggy busses everywhere.
I saw one ranger and one cop. I'm not sure how anything could be enforced by those two in an area that big.
I'll definitely go out that way again. Sandlake is tiny by comparison. Until I get spare rear wheels for all three bikes, I'm not changing from paddles for a while.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 1, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
No, Florence is the furthest south we've been.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Russian Bear posted:

Lots of people itt who don’t ride advanced terrain on the mountain bike.

No, I do ride through the park to the grocery store instead of the short and easy way :smugdog:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Short ride in the Tillamook State Forest today

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's not near Tillamook. This is the upper Nestucca OHV area, Whip Up Flats staging area.

I get there from Sheridan/Willemina

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Thanks, the forest is so loving large and theres so much riding I dont know where to start.

E: Related, any advice from the thread on hitch racks? I've got a canopy on my truck and need a way to get my bike out there.

If you've been to Jordan Creek, Brown's Camp is a good place to start. That's near Banks

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some more riding for Thanksgiving today, same place.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I tried going riding in the upper Nestucca OHV area today. It looked great, such a nice day. Within 1 mile of the staging area i saw the first mini snow patches in the ditch. This escalated to 1ft snow on the road with just ruts. Just turned around at that point and went home :(

Someone else posted this in a local FB group:

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 19, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Off-Highway Vehicle

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Goodbye old rear end KTM, hello new KX250!
First trip will be to the Florence Dunes this weekend. I'm putting a paddle tire on at 0 hrs lol

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
this is a leftover '22 with the old boring 38 HP
Should still be a nice step up from my KTM with pv's that never work correctly or the KLX300 with a measly 27 HP and 76 lbs more

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Paddles, hour meter, and handguards installed, filter oiled, tank full.
Ready to go to the dunes on Friday

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I find both descents and climbs to be the worst places to stop unless you absolutely cannot help it.

Something I didn't yet see mentioned about dropping, and picking up a dirt bike is that they're not very heavy.
My KX250 weighs 236 lbs fueled.
I'm short at barely 5'6" with a 28" inseam. I just moved up to this KX with a spec sheet seat height of 37.3 inches, though I think that's without the rider compressing the suspension.
I generally have no problem stopping/holding. It gets tricky when I try to turn slowly on a sloping surface and the inside of the turn slopes downhill.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 29, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I broke it in boys. Power wheelies confirmed to be working, even in 4th.

62 miles, 3 hours

I've read online complaining about the suspension being too hard. Maybe it's because I'm coming from a 23 year old bike with everything leaking fork oil or maybe it's because I'm ~170 lbs and therefore in Kawi's spec weight ... But it feels plush and comfortable. I have no desire to change anything.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 29, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Strava lol. I log em as ebike rides

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I took an overnight camping trip to Winchester Bay in the Oregon Dunes. Here's some pics

Packing to leave.

Airing down for easy sand driving

Top of Banshee Hill

Banshee Hill is a popular party spot at night for hill climbs in the dark.

Morning

Dropping in

Looking west - Pacific Ocean

Looking East - a lake

Airing up

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Couple of short videos of the Banshee Hill climb up
First is from the bottom, with my kid Sam going up on my new KX250.

https://youtu.be/H1tDkFn8oGM

Next is taken from the top, with me on the KX coming up.

https://youtube.com/shorts/8XFxRaFYuFc?feature=share

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Paddle tires are off the bikes for the season and the knobbies are back on. First trail ride at Brown's Camp in Oregon's coastal range tomorrow.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
We spent a few more hours at Brown's Camp today in the Tillamook State Forest West of Portland.
Fire danger is high so riding is off limits 1pm - 8,pm. We got there early and got 40 miles / 2.5 hrs moving time in.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's just a no-name pair of cheap riding pants and an orange Under Armour hoodie I picked up from my gym's lost and found

It did work a lot better with the old KTM though

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Kid paid the wheelie tax. He is getting good though

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Instead of buying new plastics, he bought a full new a/m exhaust system.
Insert Dad grumps here

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah gently caress that (not you, those trails in general). The Cascades have a lot of very gnarly trails all over and most of them are very far away from civilization.
I've done a few of these in Jeeps.

Narrowneck Gap near Rimrock: https://youtu.be/_RFPmwm_qg0?si=u6UMprs_DMH33Vrf

Pucker Ridge, also Rimrock: https://youtu.be/GwyJHmhPzfg?si=46w6Z9q5xrAZzmbb

I've tried riding Naches Pass Trail on a dirt bike and couldn't hack it on steep rocky sections.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Another 33 miles/ 2 hours at Brown's camp yesterday. Trails are a little bit more exciting after the atmospheric river coming through all week.
Trail riding uses so much less gas than dunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Any opinions on good skid plates?

My kid busted the flywheel cover on his KLX300R last weekend falling on a rock.
(He's got a skid plate but I had not yet installed it after dune season)

My KX250 has no protection at all. There's the OEM KX250X "plate" that's really just a plastic grid covering only the bottom of the engine.
On the other end of the spectrum are the almost fully enclosing plates, either metal or plastic. Those are expensive and I guess they impede engine cooling which would be a bad thing on this bike that already runs hot.

I don't really ride over rocks that are tall enough to touch the engine. The use case is probably falling over and smashing something on the side, like water pump, flywheel or clutch cover.

I need to get one for a KLX140 as well and I think I'm going all out with that one as it sits so close to the ground.

Opinions?