Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

VTNewb posted:

Race I participated in a couple weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1XPJuqNUWE

I've got a couple problems this season. First time on a modern four stroke for racing - the thing just doesn't start on the line.

Never have I ever come around less than 12th place in a NETRA event. I came around in 26th, then second lap in 25th. I could no longer handle the knee pain so I just pulled off.

Upon examining my laptimes, I was about 3 minutes off the leader pace on a 7 mile track, so I don't feel too bad. 3rd knee surgery is a week from Monday so I hope that can get me back into shape!

That's an awesome video, looked like a ton of fun! Good luck with your knee surgery, hope it goes well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ziMvHZQSs

I'm pretty sure I want to also get a little dirtbike for riding trails in southern GA and learning to ride MX in the future. If I were to look for something around the $1k area what would be some good recommendations for a 6'1" 215 lbs dude? I'm taking the MSF dirt biking course soon but I figure I'll start looking now and gathering info.

Plus there's less mailboxes in the dirt world :sun:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hi homies I bought a thing:

It's an '06 CRF100, it's super clean and runs well I'm happy! The plan is to get it set up for my weight (I am fat-- 6'1" 220 lbs) and then take it for some trail rides and then convert it to a "sumo" for some go kart track days (they have an XR100 stock racing class).

Just out of curiosity, do dirt bikes typically have almost no travel in the rear brake lever? The brake works, but it's almost like a binary switch because of how little motion the lever has-- it's either on or off. Either that or my foot just isn't sensitive enough yet. I'm spoiled by how much travel the DRZ's lever has.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
XR 80s are children bikes. Not really rideable offroad by an adult unless you're just loving around. They're also not really worth that much and I wouldn't take one for straight up value to value trade if you don't have a need for it.

It would probably be a lot easier to get 600 bucks for a car than 600 bucks for an XR 80

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
good luck man i'd have gone but it's too expensive and i have a court date next week to rape my wallet

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

builds character posted:

For cornerspin last year I rented gear and the only regret I have is that I wish I'd brought my knee pads because theirs suck and my only injury was from where I fell and they pinched me and I got knee pad abrasion.

atleast your rear end is intact

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

looks like you found the root of the problem

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Spiffness posted:

An invasive root kit affecting the power band

rip network traffic :[

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
lol 2 up on the TAT sounds like a good recipe for death unless you're just going to skip every cool part and your idea of TAT is just the gravel roads in between

especially if the weight makes you lose traction/fall on something like Ophir Pass

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
good job Dave.

nice mudbutte

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is she cursing him out in that picture

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is there any point to knee braces vs knee guards like the ones i have

this is for trail riding

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

clutchpuck posted:

How long does it take to stop wetting yourself on steep declines? Downhill is my kryptonite.

i would also like to know because anytime there is a descent i'm just brake city, population me

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
one of the guys at the 24 hour race yelled out on the final lap "just commit bro you're good!"

i committed right into a tree at the bottom of the hill

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
man he's full of piss and vinegar aint he, that was a hard landing

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I have the reverse problem. I’ll rip the throttle all the way up a hill but on the way down I get scared and ride the brakes the whole way down

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Yerok posted:

I just got a screamin deal on a plated XR650R so I'm hunting down two 17" hoops to lace to an extra set of hubs. In my journey I found some company from Michigan that is offloading 7 sets of oldish, but legit Warp 9 690 Enduro R supermoto wheels for absolute bargain basement prices at $250 a wheel.

Front: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Dirt-Bike-Wheel-3-5-x-17-Warp-9/202688506498

Rear: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warp-9-Racing-Wheel-Assembly-Rear-SM-4-25-x-17/202687516559

The listings are awful, but all I had to do was google the Warp 9 part number on the rotors to figure out they were KTM wheels. The supermoto thread is archived so I figured I'd post em up here just in case.

wish i knew what those hubs were-- would be hilarious to re-gear my XCW300 and take it for a street ride. screamin deal for some sumo wheels though

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I find your impression of the 990 vs the tiger interesting was it just a matter of lower CoG or something else?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
if you're in atlanta i got some jb weld and a 6 pack

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
anyway racists aside... any of you guys tried using onX? https://www.onxmaps.com/offroad-app

some of the 4runner folks ive talked to like it for wheeling, but i'd be interested to hear if it's works well for finding good double track

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
learning how to ride fast on sand is one of my top 3 learning moments in offroad in the last couple years, poo poo is super fun once you get the hang of it

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
anyone have experience with https://slavensracing.com/shop/lucky-cartridge-system-wp-xplor-forks/

thinking about it for the fe501, guy near me is selling em for 750. bike's planned useage is as an actual dual sport, so a lot of driving to trails

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

right arm posted:

what's wrong with your current setup?

personally, on a bike that comes with decent suspension out of the box (lol @ showa), I would not recommend throwing money on parts at it. I'd recommend seeing about having it revalved / resprung by a pro. you're likely going to be looking at a little bit more money, but you're also going to have it set up perfectly for your riding style / use case

it's not a bad deal at all, it just isn't what I'd personally do is all

that's true, i'll play with the adjusters and see what i can get out of it stock.

spent all day today installing rad braces and wrestling with the rear fender trying to see what i can do with it. i'm slightly perplexed that the fe501s has TWO rear brake lights, and the one that has the license plate light is not the one that fits on the minimalized version of the fender.

i thought these looked neat though so I ordered one: https://www.enduroplate.com/

will figure the rest of the lights out after I get that in, and this all because sicassracing is like 8 months late on their 2020 fender elim kit

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Gullous posted:

I just got a FE501 (not S). The rear light has leads for run and brake lighting, but has no control for it in the harness. I added the OEM switch to the front brake mastercylinder and wired that to the 'extra' wire on the brake light (powered from the little headlight lamp). I just passed my street legal inspection, but can't get a loving plate until the state mails the title.

I feel you on sicass delays, it's tedious sourcing things piecemeal; I went with a cyclops LED bulb, customLED.com blinker relay, tusk controls, and did the wiring myself (Deustch connectors + crimping tool make life so much easier)

I'm curious what you find with the forks. I only have a single ride so far so too early to complain. I'd consider getting springs before any valving upgrades; body weight, terrain, and skill level will dictate your ideal spring rate. You can check stock vs the ideal on racetech's website. Also, any used upgrade will have a spring rate for the previous owner and unlikely to suit you.

this could be us but you playin' games

(non s on the left)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, that two rear brake light thing made replacing the giant, poorly engineered USDM dong hanging out the back of my FE250 a nice punch in the wallet.

The original one literally got sucked into my rear tire while riding whoops, and poo poo my license plate somewhere of in the forest, never to be seen again.

Pretty sure the two designs is because USDOT regulations are dumb.

yeah enough people have warned me about the fender getting ripped out along with your wiring that i don't want to deal with it on the trail so i'm dealing with it now

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
what a nice fellow, awesome bike for sure

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
if you have cash to splash you can get the six days version for bling but aside from the billet triple clamp there's not a whole lot you get for the money and pain in the rear end (every dealer wants to sell you a sob story about how hard to find and rare they are).

as long as you're paying attention to the maintenance schedule people say they're quite reliable bikes. Oil changes can be extended to 2-3k miles depending on how hard you're riding it but you do need to be dilligent about knowing where the valves are at. this means regular valve checks and adjustments when necessary. if you can do those base requirements then the rfs engine bikes shouldn't give you too much trouble (350, 450, 500)

this is all what i've read/am hoping anyway since i got loving f150'd before i could put more than 500 miles on my brand new FE501 i bought last year.

some other options you can look at are the honda CRF 450L, the Husqvarna FE501 (same engine etc as the ktm, but prettier white/blue colors and different rear suspension if you have Opinions) or god forbid, the KLR/DR650

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jazzzzz posted:

wtf? did you already post about this somewhere? I thought you were still brapping it up on that thing

yeah deets are in the crash thread, this is the first month i've been able to type with both hands. things are progressing, slowly but surely, but i sure do miss riding

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yeah and before you think a seat concepts seat will solve the issue with the seat, it won't. (but mine sure looks nice :D)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
hell yeaaaaaaaa

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
stop enjoying your new bikes everyone >:(

i'm heading up to windrock park this weekend for some camping, always wanted to check it out on my FE and maybe on the mountain bike too. but now i'm gonna just be 4x4'ing it..
sucks cause some of the video i saw looked exactly like the poo poo i like-- long windy double track

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

cursedshitbox posted:

Reading comprehension is hard aint it.

sir, this is a wendys

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
arent you just supposed to use grease + a proper gasket to close it back up? id always heard rtv/some gasket sealants will just come loose on contact with hot oil and gum up poo poo elsewhere ie the oil galleries

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
rally moto is cool and good

my fav memory of sandblast rally was in new racer orientation. the room was mostly new moto racers, couple car folks and like one SXS guy.
the speaker was going over transit instructions/basics when the SXS guy raises his hand and asks "what do i do about nav if i don't have a codriver?"

all the moto dudes chuckled "use your left hand"

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

ChocNitty posted:

I need some feedback on something. Basically I did a full day dirt bike tour in Thailand, and it was kind of a hosed up experience, and i'm just not sure if its my fault, or the tour companies fault, so getting others thoughts would help get some perspective. It's a long story though.

This company offered 3 hour and an all day dirtbike tour, but they heavily recommend the all day tour. They had ATV tours but only for 3 hours. I know the 3 hour tour would feel too short because I did other 3 hour tours that felt too short. This place advertised it caters to any skill level, beginners, intermediate, and advanced, and that it would accommodate whatever skill level you were. Many of the reviews were people saying they had never been on a dirtbike or even a regular motorcycle before, and had a great 5 star time. Reviewers said they got an hour of training, one said they got 2 hours of training. And this business is being advertised to tourists just looking to have fun.

I drove a honda cb750 for about 6 months. I'm an avid cyclist, with over 10k miles logged on strava. I own a pretty powerful e-mountain bike, and ride on beginner mountain bike trails at a pretty quick speed. Havent crashed on a bicycle in over 10 years. So I figured if all these people who have never even been on a motorcycle before, absolute beginners, had a great experience, then there's no reason I shouldn't either.

I didn't get any real training. There was a little practice turn and straight away in an area the size of a small gas station that they recommended I ride around which I did alone for 5 minutes, and the instructor spent a minute explaining how to shift, which I didn't understand because of the language barrier, and that was it, we started the tour. I eventually acquainted myself with shifting through some trial and error during the ride. I did not protest for more proper training because I knew the language thing would be a problem, so instead I made it clear that lets ride slow for the first hour, and figured i'd get the hang of it myself like i've done with countless things like jet skiing, snow boarding, ice skating, etc.

I was the only one on that tour that day, which was a blessing, because I fell off the bike about 12-13 times. I'm not joking, or exaggerating on that number whatsoever. I did the best I could. I hung in there on the route for 5 and a half hours until my strength was gone and had to throw in the towel and we had to get back on the highway to get back to the tour company, and when we got back, it was about the same time as the tour would have been if I was able to complete the route.

Was I an idiot who just bit off way more than I could chew? Do I just suck more than the average first timer? Or was it the tour guide and companies mistake?

About 50 percent of the terrain I was able to handle without struggling. Some if it I was able to do just barely, and some of it I would try and crash, and a couple of spots looked so gnarly to me that I didn't even take the risk to try. We rode through loosely packed sand that almost half the wheel would sink into. I had a real problem with that, and the way it made my bike wobble like a fish on fishing line. We went through big puddles that were knee high, that I was surprised didnt flood the engine. We went on trails no wider than the tires, short bridges barely wider than the tire. Ditches that were difficult to spot. There were very tight turns in dense forest and jungle.There were downhill and uphill parts you had to attack at an angle. There were areas where I had to ride in a previous riders tire track just right, and if I strayed two inches to the side, i'd hit the lip of their tire trail and lose control of the bike and crash. There was recent heavy rain, and heavy rain for 30 minutes in the middle of the tour. There were just a lot of challenges with the terrain that I don't know the terms to explain. Lots of deep grooves and ridges that would make me lose traction and control of the bike.

I realized that the faster i'd go, the more stability i'd have, but I also knew that one high speed crash would likely end the tour right there, cause expensive damage to their bike and possible big fines for me, and maybe seriously injure myself. I was able to get up and keep going after a dozen crashes because they happened at low speed. I realized that much of the difficult terrain required confidence, because you had to go fast and couldn't stop. I did not have the experience that creates such confidence. And after so many crashes, I couldn't fool myself into being confident.

The tour guide was very frustrated with me, as I was with him. He was frustrated with how many times I crashed. And how he had to turn around and help me get the bike back up some of the time. He was frustrated with how slow I was going, and how it would gently caress with our route and timing. He was frustrated with the couple spots I refused to ride through and had him ride my bike through it. He was frustrated with me burning up the clutch, or not being in the right gear. He was frustrated with me getting the bike stuck when stopping in a soft spot. He was frustrated with me using the brakes too much when going downhill and us having to stop and pour water to cool down the brake calipers. He was frustrated with me for asking stupid questions like what to do about my goggles getting fogged up. And he was frustrated with the language barrier as much as I was, and how awkward it made the lunch with just us two.

I was frustrated with how far he rode ahead of me, and how impatient he was. I was frustrated how he stayed far ahead of me after passing forks in the trail, and having to toss a coin and guess which way he went, then finding out I probably guessed wrong, and having to wait and honk my horn for him to find me, then him being upset and asking me why I didn't see which way he went, and me not being able to tell him its because he's too far away and that my eyes need to be on the terrain i'm struggling with, because of the language barrier. I was frustrated how he let us get separated 5 times. I was frustrated how he would say I was too scared when I refused to try a steep uphill part, because I knew he wouldn't understand if I tried to explain to him that I didn't want to break their bike.

I was frustrated how after he saw me fall off the bike 12 times, he continued to lead me into terrain that just kept increasing in difficulty. I was frustrated how when a vine got caught on my boot and made me crash, he told me I crashed because I hit the front break too hard, and shook his head in disbelief when I pointed at the vine and told him thats what made me crash.

I was frustrated how he didn't seem to realize that my strength and hydration level was at a much different level than his because he fell off his bike a dozen fewer times than I did. I was frustrated with feeling like a weak pussy for asking to stop to catch my breath and drink water so I wouldn't get a heat stroke, because he didn't call for a water break like a competent guide would have done. I was frustrated when he told me that 98 percent of riders were able to do something I was unable to do. I was frustrated with the feeling that this was his tour and that I was just a tag along, instead of it being my tour. I was frustrated by the fact that not having any other customers to worry about should have only made it easier for him to accommodate my skill level, yet he didn't, or was unable to.

There were a handful of moments of saying "Are you loving serious?" to myself when seeing a new area of terrain we were riding into, and even laughing out loud because it started to get so ridiculous and surreal that it was funny. Then we started going up a forest mountain. Going through areas that I could not physically get my tall and slightly wide body through without shrubbery stopping me. Big rocks sticking out of the ground, thick roots crossing the path, vines hanging around me, all kinds of poo poo in narrow and steep uphill and downhill turns. Areas where I doubt weekend hikers would walk through. Areas I saw nor heard any other dirt bikers around, where I had seen others earlier in the tour.

Since my strength was depleted and the ride was only getting more challenging I had no choice but to call time. Because of this abrupt and unexpected end, in order to get back on the road fastest, he had us bike through 5ft tall bushes. There was no dirt or ground below me, only the bush I was riding over. I could only see the next bush in front of me a foot away. But finally we got to the road and I at least got to end the tour with some chilled out on road riding.

After showering, changing my clothes, and having a cold drink (the company did these other aspects well), I decided to give the tour guide a tip. As a peace offering, and because I know regardless of who's at fault, it was a hard as gently caress day for him too and he's not paid much. But he must have been pretty upset with me because he didn't even try taking the frown off his face when I handed him 3 days of pay. They didn't fine me for bike damage, and I don't think they're going to try to mail me a fine, so I appreciate that. I know I hosed up the horn button, and I think I broke what were turn signal buttons. And I likely added many new scratches to the fairing and maybe a dent on the exhaust.

Try comparing this to your first time on a dirtbike, and not to your current experienced selves now. A part of me feels they hosed up by not giving me at least an hour of training, and did not put me on a route that was suitable for my skill level. But another part of me feels like I was naive and foolish to even do this for a first time ride, and that the company isn't responsible for user reviews that I let influence my decision to do it.

I wouldn't be like, hey come learn guitar, I cater to beginners. oh this is the first time you've had a guitar in your lap? go ahead and tune to open e, capo the 5th fret, and go ahead and strum a nice folk chord progression so we can use that for your awesome travis meeks acoustic solo. Dude wtf are you doing? Why is the guitar facing the ceiling? 98 percent of students did this just fine.

lmao lmao lmao

also it's your fault you loving idiot, who the gently caress signs up for a dirt biking tour in a foreign country without knowing how a motorcycle even operates

i'm lol'ing big at the fact that CA has come full circle with "i have a high powered mustang, i can handle a motorcycle" to "i have a high powered e-bicycle i can handle a motorcycle" :masterstroke:

Razzled fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 29, 2022

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

right arm posted:

proud of you for not choosing a quad lol

honestly it sounds like they offered him an alternative that was suitable to his disposition

r word chariots have a place too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

TotalLossBrain posted:

Any opinions on good skid plates?

My kid busted the flywheel cover on his KLX300R last weekend falling on a rock.
(He's got a skid plate but I had not yet installed it after dune season)

My KX250 has no protection at all. There's the OEM KX250X "plate" that's really just a plastic grid covering only the bottom of the engine.
On the other end of the spectrum are the almost fully enclosing plates, either metal or plastic. Those are expensive and I guess they impede engine cooling which would be a bad thing on this bike that already runs hot.

I don't really ride over rocks that are tall enough to touch the engine. The use case is probably falling over and smashing something on the side, like water pump, flywheel or clutch cover.

I need to get one for a KLX140 as well and I think I'm going all out with that one as it sits so close to the ground.

Opinions?

I pretty much only use enduro engineering for the past couple bikes

it's pretty sweet, protects the water pump and has a little lip to guard the foot peg mounts too
Extreme Skidplate KTM/Husqvarna 24-116X