Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They mean it's a fake Keihin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A bike mechanic friend just got a klx230 and a ttr230 for his daughters, they're upgrading from crf150's. He was disdainful of the ttr as being underspecced and ye olde, while the kawi has decent chassis parts and efi which must be good. He grumbled about having to drill out the cap over the pilot screw on the ttr to get it idling better. The klx turns out to have a 'helpful' anti stall feature that uses an IAC to aggressively increase idle speed and also basically eliminates engine braking, this is meant to be somehow better for learning. He is now investigating ways to disable or circumvent the system because his daughter spent all day making GBS threads her pants down steep descents when the bike decided to effectively give it a bit of throttle to stop her 'stalling'.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every beach/sand bike I've worked on has been a hosed piece of poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

I just went there and rented atvs with my dad (DONT JUDGE ME!!!) and it was fun. Seems like it’d be a nice area to ride around in once you get past the strip of SxSs drag racing. Sand was a little soft so probably a little less friendly than a Long Beach section but still good.

I'm not angry, just disappointed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Open a window, take a concrete pill, et al

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

But I get hot. :ohdear:

Also, if you don’t venture into AI, I have a build thread for my van you might like.

I have too much PTSD from ten years of being a professional car mechanic so cars just give me a visceral sense of revulsion but I will read your thread.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

i'm lol'ing big at the fact that CA has come full circle with "i have a high powered mustang, i can handle a motorcycle" to "i have a high powered e-bicycle i can handle a motorcycle" :masterstroke:

It made my mouth drop open I swear to god

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll add that I've had people tell me MTB's are, like, super physical mannn. But in reality if you take pedalling out of the equation they are like riding a weightless cloud of fellatio compared to even a relatively small dirt bike. And you can jump off and walk whenever you feel like it, even carry the thing over obstacles and poo poo! I feel spoiled every time I jump on my MTB.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Lots of people itt who don’t ride advanced terrain on the mountain bike.

I don't want to die so yeah, true. Didn't say it's not physical, it is just fundamentally less work than hauling 100kg of dirt bike around.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, it is the kids who are wrong

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean an old rear end KDX

:rip: KDX, you died how you lived, overheating in the UP

This is the fate of every kdx cause they seem to be totally seize resistant otherwise

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

r word chariots have a place too

Huh, I thought this was a local term. The more you know!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ah bin ridin fer FIFTEEN YURS, dirt bike edition

Some people spend their whole lives sticking absolute rear end at riding bikes and never improving, it's not an MMO, time and miles alone don't automatically give improvement.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dunning Kruger does dirt

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

500excf type r posted:

Roczen, with a good start, will win tonight..

Cooper Webb is going to crash into Tomac and both of their bikes are going to explode and they will retire forever.

You heard it here first

:hai:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I tried going riding in the upper Nestucca OHV area today. It looked great, such a nice day. Within 1 mile of the staging area i saw the first mini snow patches in the ditch. This escalated to 1ft snow on the road with just ruts. Just turned around at that point and went home :(

Someone else posted this in a local FB group:

I mean no poo poo, you went to an overhead valve area with an overhead cam bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My limited dirt experience leads me to believe you can't get good without at least one serious injury and many minor ones

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's all safely locked away at high revs!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cooper webb and Jack Miller are related somehow, they have to be. Possibly through Australia's extensive high performance inbreeding program

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd argue one of the chief differences between an ADV and an actual dirt bike is that one of them is designed to be able to lay down and take naps as part of its daily life while the other is a street bike that's meant to stay on its wheels at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It makes sense that the least offensive KTM apparel isn't actually made by KTM