Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Check laws and regulations. I don't know how your state does it but it is unlawful to operate wheeled vehicles on our trail systems after first x amount of inches of snow. It will also probably piss everyone on a snowmobile since it ruts up the trails and can make riding very dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Traded all my go karts for a 2007 KX85. Being 6'1" and 210lbs I am a tad bit too large for it but for the purpose of having my daughter follow me around while she rides her PW50, I think this will work well.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah she is the same way. Goose it and roll to a stop every 10 feet, unless she is pointing at the house or the garage or the swing set or anything else that can cause an accident, then she just pins it wide open for as many yards as it takes to get there.

The throttle limiting screw doesn't let it adjust low enough to allow enough throttle to go on the lawn without allowing the same amount of throttle that will let her try to kool-aid man it through a wall.

But pain is a pretty good teacher right?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

What are my options with a sleeved cylinder? It is an 86 CR250 engine. The radiators failed, it ran hot, burned out the piston. I don't have pics of the piston (I pulled it last summer) and I am finally getting around to dealing with the bike, but the cylinder has been sleeved previously. It looks to my untrained eye that it might need work and there are some dents above the exhaust port and what i presume are flat spots.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

PoopSok posted:

Oh man those little bikes are fun. As for setting it up for your weight, do they make springs heavy enough for that?

A buddy of mine is around 200 lbs and trying to set up a kx100, but they only make springs for people up to 140 lbs. Better than nothing, though!

How's everyone's late summer/early fall riding going? Gullous, we need to do another track day. I rode Straddleline last weekend with my brother and it was a horrible mudfest for 2 hours, then it was amazing (I DOUBLED SOMETHING!). Local trails are mudddy slick gnarly though, I really want a steering stabilizer.

There are fork springs and a rear shock out there made by BBR for adults, but mailbox is aware of that already. XR/CRF100s are fun as poo poo and I love mine.

I just got my 1986 CR250 running today.

Started out last year in May with getting it delivered to my grandparents house ~350 miles away already blown up. A month later I went down, took some poo poo apart, checked it out, and left it there. My grandparents put it under a tarp and it sat all winter, sad and lonely and getting poo poo on with rain and snow.

April or May this year, I was able to pick it up and bring it home, where it sat inside, still sad, but in good company with all the other poo poo piles I own. I sent the top end out to be bored, turns out the sleeve was pretty much at its last bore so I had it re-sleeved. I then purchased a Wiseco top end rebuild kit.

I had to repair pitting/corrosion in the water pump housing because it is made out of magnesium.

The previous owner said it blew up because the corrosion blocked up the radiators causing it to overheat. I ordered new radiators, new hoses, patched the pitting, and got Evans Waterless Coolant.

Finally having all the parts together and, with school for my kids starting today, all the free time I needed, I put it together and hoped for the best.

As it turns out, I did okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CECBX4wgWhA

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Thanks. I fouled a plug a few days ago and no one within 50 miles stocks the br8eg plug required. Some day soon amazon should have replacements here and hopefully that corrects the whole not firing issue. I shut it off and then it would start again the next time i went to ride it. Seems like the plug is oil fouled, black and wet at the time I pulled it. I tried a similarly sized plug, B(something)R9IX but that also gave me nothing.

I am really counting on the right plug to work because I really have no idea what else it could be.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe you guys can help me, here is my crosspost from honda 2stroke on thumper talk http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1103800-1986-cr-250-refuses-to-start/

I was so excited to have successfully built my first top end and I put 30 minutes to an hour on it playing nice and easy in the backyard through 3 or 4 "sessions" for lack of a better term.

Then I went to go ride it the other day and it would not start. I kicked and kicked and kicked. Nothing. I pulled the plug (BR8EG) and it looked oil fouled so I tried a similar plug (It was a B(something)R9IX) as well as the plug that came in it a year and a half ago (BR9E(S I think)) and some newly purchased BR8EGs. None of them worked. I pulled the carb again and cleaned it, despite it only having at maximum an hour of riding and a week of time since the last time it was cleaned.

I am running this oil mixed 32:1 (8oz oil in 2 gallons of 91 octane). It has a 178 main jet and a 52 pilot. I noticed it leaking fuel out of/on to the exhaust since I haven't been able to start it. I don't know if that was the case before, because it would start right up nicely and I would ride on it. I pulled the exhaust off and there was a significant amount of black fuel/oil in it. It might have seemed worse than it was though because I was not expecting it and it poured all over my tools/tool box.

I have pulled the plug and checked for spark, it is there. It is obviously getting fuel to the engine, or through it at least.

I plan on buying some starter fluid after work today and testing that tonight.

Could I have severely flooded the engine, so much that it still hasn't resolved itself? I left the plug out of it over night previously and nothing happened any different when i put a new plug in. I did notice last night that if I held the throttle wide open (no choke) when kicking it over, I would see either fuel vapor or smoke coming from exhaust. I am not sure which though. Right after, when I pulled the exhaust, it definitely looking like a puff of smoke rolled out of the top end but then stuff starting pouring every where from the pipe and my attention was diverted.

Could it be the reeds? I think the most troubling part is that the bike ran fine when I parked it in the garage but then hasn't started since.

I am really at a loss of ideas right now. If it was a fouled plug I would have expected it to run fine with a new one installed. It was running fine when it went back into the garage.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Last night I pulled plug, kicked it over a ton (this is something I tried previously tho) and I will see what happens when I get home from work. I might just give it a few kicks and if it doesnt seem like much is going on I will let it sit again and buy some starter fluid tomorrow or something

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I took the 86 CR 250 out for a trail ride. It started right up second kick, I let it idle for a little bit and started off. Took it easy-ish and got up to 5th, then it died when i let off the throttle. I popped the clutch and it fired up and died again. I made it maybe 1/4 mile. It wouldn't kick start and I brought it home. I tried starter fluid and it would not fire. Initially I was concerned of an air leak and burning up the piston. My spark plug was basically new but nice and brown so it seems like that is not the issue. I pulled the carb and it is nice and clean and clear. I checked spark on the plug and it showed, I checked spark on a new plug and got nothing. I tried another old plug and it showed spark and, once again, nothing on another new plug.

I pulled the coil off and checked the primary and secondary coils. Spec for Primary is 0.2-0.4 and it tested at 0.6. Secondary coil was within spec. Is this enough to be the culprit?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

idk I never rode dirt before and I got an xr100 and I got a lot more comfortable doing things on that to learn and play than the few weeks my cr250 was going. Obviously I wouldn't seriously tell another grown man to ride an xr100 but don't discount small and slow when it comes to building a foundation for new skills.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Silver posted:

I would, riding smaller bikes is super fun. We have a little series here that runs sometimes called Chiva Kenieval that is all about grown rear end men riding XR100's or 110's or whatever on small MX tracks/single track. It's awesome.

I agree. This is why I am supermotoing my xr100 and racing it at a track in a few months. Yeah its not, like, dirt racing, but there is a dirt section. It is an absurd amount of fun to ride a little bike "hard" and when the little bike weighs 170lbs, you can basically go anywhere.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

:patriot:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Do a balance bike inside and outside as often as possible. Once they figure out balance the rest is easy. My daughter started on a pw50 when she was 3 and it took her two seasons to feel comfortable and confident and rip around. My son is 5 and has been pedal biking with no training wheels since he was 3 but he's small and hasn't been comfortable on his pw50.

I bought him a PW foot brake, new forks, new black plastics, yellow Yamaha graphics, and it turns out his frame is hosed so I need to buy a PW frame for 400 bucks or a used PW for 500

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly they grow so loving fast its easier to just buy a larger bike than build up the beginner bikes. I regret getting my daughter a crf50 instead of the next size up since she is, at 7, 4'6" and ~75lbs and is generally just a rugged beast.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

fixed the pw frame (by purchasing another pw (and also built a sand box and played tractors))

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I've been working on it for a few hours straight now and it is time for bed but it should be together by tomorrow

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

good stuff, post lots of pictures dork

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Her first J-Day Offroad Sprint Enduro @ Southwick

We started with the hardest tests and worked backwards so she really REALLY hated it when she started but by the end she was having a great time. We only were able to do each test once instead of the required 3x so she officially received a DNF,. We had an issue on the MX track where mud packed into her chain and locked up a few links and it made the chain as tight as a drum. We worked it as best as we could and then she did her woods test. On the final corner (35 minutes after she started) her axle nut fell off along with a chain adjuster and chain, so I pushed her across the finish line.

It was hard and way beyond her bikes capabilities (not to mention her developing skills) but she really had a good time and we look forward to our next offroad event. Until then, we have asphalt GP racing which kicks off in 3 weeks.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

Look at what a good dad you are.

I see her on that little 50 and it seems like she is large enough for a 70 or 110 or something idk but boy golly wouldn't I be one dead motherfucker if I came home with a dirt bike

edit: also I can say I officially did a lap of the Southwick MX track today :V It was so soft and rutted, along with the incredible intimidation effect of being a 7yo on a crf50 on a literal pro motocross track with huge terrain shes seen on television, that she needed a lot of help slogging through it. Giant thanks to VTNewb and his girlfriend for helping out with that and showing us around our first Jday

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 23, 2017

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

edit: the guy emailed a digital print, noice

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 24, 2017

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The little bike lineup is completely refreshed so nothing makes sense anymore. I think a CRF125 big wheel would be the 2017 equivalent to the XR/CRF100. Look for something with a 19" front wheel, 16" rear, 4 stroke, and air cooled. The CCs in that category will vary quite a bit but they are all equal in terms of beginning.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Deeters posted:

What do you guys like for armored shorts? I expect to fall if I do Cornerspin, and hip armor is one of the things I don't have.

I have these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LMU201I/) and they're "good enough"

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

biek is ready and loaded up and hopefully tomorrow will be a gr8 fathers day with the kids at home and me racin'

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

what is the consensus on forearm / elbow armor vs arm pump

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

Grip with your legs?

to some extent sure but more like things wrapped around the forearms making arm pump that much worse

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I definitely get more pronounced arm pump with certain types of gear that constrict the forearm but I don't mean during light trail riding or street riding so maybe i came to the wrong place

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

Fair enough. I can't ride without elbow pads, it gives me the heebie-jeeebies.

same thats why im asking because i know people in this very thread forego forearm protection in order to reduce or eliminate their arm pump and I wanted to hear more about their trade off

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F4t48q9Fuc

I replaced my clutch discs and rode in the woods. Open invitation for pizza and beer if anyone wants to help rut some poo poo up and make something fun out here.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I was pushing my bike into the garage and was getting a lot of resistance so I started poking around and saw it. Very In-tree-guing

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I run Kenda K760s for dirt bike tires on my mini

http://www.ebay.com/itm/202033103312

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I also just remembered I run K760s on my crf 250 as well. They are a pretty good tire for cheap.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

New to me 1992 rm250 braaaap

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I went to a local shop and the 2019 crf450l was the same price as a 2019 excf500 so Monday I pick up my new orange dirt bike yay

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Shelvocke posted:

Realistically a lot. I'll stick to tubes for now, unless I switch to trucking the bike to the dirt rather than riding it here (unlikely.)

Also getting a much more local job soon, might consolidate into a new CRF450L at the end of he year. Anyone have experience with them?

I really wanted a 450L but the 500 EXC-F was the same price so why bother tbh. The KTM is fantastic.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Sort of like an xr100 also, 172 lbs, infinite aftermarket, fun for everyone

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

My daughter is an inch and a half shorter and she fits a crf80 pretty well but she's 10 lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe check out a crf150f or other big wheel smaller engined bikes

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Supercross practice is on TV and I'm streaming it in the discord channel and I'll stream the race in there tonight also. We don't have a dedicated thread for sx this year and I can't make one with the awful app so this have this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://discord.gg/9EKgBnv

I also made an rm fantasy group if anyone is interested

https://www.rmfantasysx.com/group/invite/%20++++++++++++++++++++Super+Crossed%20++++++++++++++++++/daniel

That link should work, password sx2021

Name is Super Crossed if the link doesn't work and you can search it on the rmfantasysx.com website.

It is free, there are weekly and seasonal real prizes depending on how well you do (good luck)