Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
No sidestand down, suspension compressed. It rode fine, but was just leaned over due to how the straps pulled so I didn't care for it. Today it would have rode just fine as it has before, but I didn't snug the strap before going to tighten it fully. It's how I've transported it multiple times and it works and bike is stable/doesn't fall over, I just don't like how it leans. Also if I wouldn't have had it angled then the bar wouldn't have smacked the window :)

Transporting it in gear wouldn't really make any difference though. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Yeah pretty much. I can roll it around in gear with the bike off, which has also made for some interesting kick starts when it's in gear instead of neutral. Draw back? Can't push start it if I find the need too.

Not sure if I have posted this pic in here yet, but it deserves a repost if I have.

edit: Mine is the z-start which is one of the first gen's, I think the newer ones have full clutch action(Mine walks with the clutch in and me on the gas) as well as locks when in gear so you can push start it/leave it in gear so it doesn't move.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Ohhhhhh, trans alp. I want one of those so bad. I just hear they are way underpowered with the state side models. ung.

Anyhow, any takers on this bullshit???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4tQhI5eO0I

I'd be like "lol nope" and do the alt water crossing they had. Payoff bin it at 5:40.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
If anyone wants to check out ErzBurg 2012. I don't think this counts as files or anything as it's on youtubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARs-YWK0yWg

p.s. gently caress. That. Noise. I could walk most of that poo poo faster.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Found a really good 49 minute long instructional video on youtube, but it's obviously not the guys vid who uploaded it. Reckon it's cool to link or would that count as :files: it's got 8k views and hasn't been flagged yet.

In the meantime have a video of me this past weekend at Noel's. I really need to update my go pro. Anyhow, this is a short newbie section we put in, I have another vid of the harder section if anyone wants me to post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT2Em-usZws

Slowest, hill climb, ever later in the vid. Was up on the pegs whole time but didn't get a good run at it so just chugged it up it.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Are you doing woods riding? 450/500 gonna heavier but prob not too much. No 2 stroke action? Kinda drooling for a 13 250 EX, buddy of mine just got one. Or the 350 is a nice in the middle bike, another buddy just got one of those too.

Need to read up more on the Honda 250L street legal version. Looked at it in the shop, doesn't sit as high as a WR250 and wondering how dirt worthy it is.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
That's extra sexy. I was in the shop yesterday and looking at KTM's. Eeesh.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Ramsus posted:

I'm in Albany, Oregon.

Edit: https://www.crfsonly.com should be in the OP, it has a decent forum.

Added to OP. I have a buddy that races a CRF450R. I dunno though, I've heard various good/bad things about 450's in the woods. Much like street(i-4 600) I'll prob stick with the middle machines the 200-300 which are light and nice and peaky vs. the heavier bikes.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

n8r posted:

Silver has one - pretty sure he still has lots of problems...

Rider issues, not rekluse issues. I haven't really ridden without one in the dirt so don't have an opinion, I know one bro who rode my bike and bought a rekluse the next week. Loves it for woods, hates it for MX though.

I think I could have gotten another 5+ rides out of the old one ya?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Failing and flailing from yesterday. First lap through was clean no falls for me. Second lap, put on the go pro and wtf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vGX5rXUE-8

Actually have some decent riding vid I'll prob edit down too, this is just the crash vid.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Zool posted:

That's a pretty small engine though, have you considered a 690?

:what: You do know that it's a 2 stroke yes? Also a 690 would be a pig in tight trails/woods riding.

I use rotella and change about every 3 rides or so. It doesn't take a lot and it's cheap so no big deal.

Will this be your first dirt bike? 300 is going to be a bit much, kinda like getting a 450 4 stroke to start out on. Fun though for sure. I started on a 200.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Spiffness posted:

Love this post. So much.

:cheers:

EXC = Enduro
MXC = Motorcross as far as I know.

Here's a good thread on thumpertalk about the 2000 300EXC's. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/765616-2000-ktm-300-exc/

I'm thinking that 1750 is a bit stout for that old of a bike though. Definitely talk him down some.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
ohhh yeah. Forgot about that.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Woof, muddy and wide open. I missed the first hare scramble of the year because of work. Missed the second due to being sick bleh. On the mend now I hope and back at it. Enduro this weekend but not sure if I"m going to roll or not, they're talking snow and nasty weather for the whole thing. Even if I did go would probably just ride on Sat then watch on Sun.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

VTNewb posted:

Hard to tell because the rider is AA, but the track is brutally rocky. I hope to just sit in low RPM 3rd and fourth gear and cheat with my recluse. Super flat and wide though! Low stress, just very fitness oriented.

I'm still planning on rolling thru OK on my way to CO! We'll have to set that up soooon

Right on, just keep me posted on dates and we'll either ride or do a race depending on when you're coming through. :cheers:

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
That stuff looked sloppy wet. Bummer on the guy that died and the bros who broke their bones. :(

My latest... I might not know what I'm doing, but I'll look like I do.

Riding lately here has been dismal, first race of the season I had work stuff. Next weekend we missed our call on the rain. Next race I caught whatever my wife had and didn't make it. Last weekend was extra cold and nasty. Then today it soaks everything. Easter tomorrow. Going to try to ride this week some and then 3rd round next weekend. Probably should go ride today but it's probably still pretty sloppy even if the sun is out. Meh, decided to be lazy instead.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
First race of the season. Kind of a bummer.

Jason "One Lap" Hubbert checking in with race report.

Got in about 10:30 or so found my bros and went and got checked in. Race was delayed a bit but these things happen and it wasn't a huge amount of time so not a big deal. This is my first race of the season and first time using my new go pro. They both kinda sucked.

BWFF's!

Was lined up next to Joe in trail riders and did my usual start of let everyone go then take off. Kit has a video of the trailriders start and I told him to burn it because I look like a complete spode(which I am). Now we're off the line and tailing Joe and we're rocking along through some wide open stuff and some single track and some mud bogs. Actually did a lot better on the mud bogs than I figured I would have but then ROOTS! Roots cutting across the trail on a left hand turn. Joe squirreled it a bit and made it through fine. Myself? I hit them, squirrelled it and spun around but kept it up, was heading towards and tree and spun it around again and then one more spin out and was basically a 360 over the roots. I'm positive it looked comical. Another rider coming up behind me and I decided to let them go past but she hit the roots and dropped it. Helped her get the bike back up and started and going and she takes off. Another rider coming, hits roots, drops it. I'm already parked so help him get back up and get started again as well. I get back on my bike and start crossing the roots straight on and drop it. I'm like, REALLY!?

Joe's ride.

After picking it back up I was back on trail and having fun. Course was damp and muddy in spots as well as some rocky climbs but I kinda like that stuff so was having a good time. I'm clipping along and then get caught by Joiner(super fast guy who won). I pull over and then it's just a freight train of people coming through. So I'm basically parked as all of them are faster than I am so I'm just going to get in the way. Finally get a gap and from there on I'm doing about 100 yard trail sprints then having to move over for someone. Lotta bikes, small loop, so that kinda sucked.

lol twinkies!

At one point while I was pulled over I put my goggles up on my helmet but the didn't stay and flipped down into my eyes and knocked out my left contact. :( Sucked. BUT! I found it on my seat and I had eye drops so could put it back in, I don't have a kick stand so on my slow roll up to a tree I guess some brush knocked it off. I searched for it for a bit but absolutely no luck of course, I'm in an effing forest. Get back on the bike and the ride back to the finish is nuts. Judging lines was out the window as one eye seeing clear and the other blurry sucks, so I bounced off a few trees, made sure to get out of peoples way, and fell over again one time when I parked over a hole staying out of the way.

TBBR

Finished my lap, headed back to the truck, hung out with Kit and the pit board and twerked it for Tim which almost made him crash. Bummer is when I get home, my go pro only has 7 min on it. It SD card errored out. Reinsert card and it's fine again. SON OF A... So zero footage of any antics of my spode riding. :( Found out later after testing it would freeze after about 2 min of recording. Then decided it didn't want to turn back on. Then figured out hard reset and would turn on, then freeze and not turn back on. Basically a brick. Others have had them brick out too. Took it back to best buy and exchanged it hoping that this one decides to be awesome.

Around 110 bikes on a roughly 4 mile course.

For racing, I need to get faster, right now I'm just an obstacle, so think I'm just going to ride on the weekends and try to get faster then maybe give it another go at Turkey Creek race. Then again in the fall. Pulling over every 30sec to Min isn't the funnest riding I've ever done. Need more seat time/stamina.

Me!

Cheers!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Nice, that was a good read. :cheers:

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Jim: I have not. Normally my contacts are fine though, just the way I tucked them up under my helmet visor wasn't far enough so when they flipped down it put the foam right in my eyes. I should have just taken them off completely. Lesson learned. No biggy though as I have the one a day, wear them once, toss em, so not like I"m out a whole bunch. Will probably start taking an extra pair with me just in case from now on.

n8: Maybe where you're at but I was running 2 tear offs and a buddy of mine was running 5 tear offs(which is too many he said he'd stick with 3 or less next time). Even if they were outlawed you could just get some roll offs and be solid.

CorBrapGi...

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
I haven't done any clean up rides yet. I do try and leave with more trash than I came with though and always try to make sure I pick up all my own stuff. Tear offs I have, but honestly I haven't even torn one off on the trail. Also lot of guys will just stuff them in the waists of their pants or under their chest protectors from what I know when they do need to tear them off on the trails.

We call them quadrosexuals, and yes they can leave a big ol party mess for sure. First 2 races they had to announce to everyone to effin pick up after themselves as the joints were TRASHED when everyone left.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Bob and I riding at Stillwater. Lotta cussing in the video, apparently I turn into a sailor while on a dirt bike or something. Also very start of the vid you'll see how I got this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXESN-MWCs

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
needknees, gently caress YEAH! 2 STROKE BABY! :cheers:

Picture not related.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
I like a bit of everything really. Mostly woods though. I suck at jumps.

Vid from this weekend stuff.

3min or so: http://youtu.be/cRww27pYiNM

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

HondaRider271 posted:

Haha good stuff! Man I wish I still had a helmet cam, if you guys were impressed with that trail jump I would probably blow your minds with the stuff I do on a regular basis. Still, I like it and I especially like the 2 smoker :D

Yeah, that was more frustration at myself for not shooting across that, was no big deal for him. There's a few BIG ol jumps out there that bros huck it off of. Mostly was just a goony video of me or others riding. Quick slap together stuff from the day.

Also, expand upon this knowing how to fall, I mean accidents aren't meant to happen so how are you supposed to fall when poo poo just goes wrong on ya? Honest question.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Nice! All good info. Thanks!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Haha, not hijacking at all. Thread is pretty stagnant a lot of the time. I normally wear boots/pants/kneepads/jersey/chest protector/helmet. I haven't invested in a neck brace, also haven't found any good elbow pads/armor I like yet. Probably upgrading my chest protector here shortly from the fox one I have to a leatte pro with shoulder/arm protection. Also will fit the leatte neck brace if I decide to get one of those. That's where I'm at gear wise right now. Didn't wear knee pads "Ahh the boots come up high enough" then I got clipped by a stump about half an inch above my boot that left a good gash. Got some after that. Armor/foam padding stuff.

Have done some moto, actually in fact was at a track last night but didn't ride as I didn't get off early enough to load and ride. It's fun but probably always be more of a woods rider, I don't see myself clearing any 100' triples any time soon.

Silver fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 15, 2013

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Ouuuuuuuuccchhhhhhhhhh. drat. You going to get a plastic one put back in or they repairing that one??

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Eh, I'm just getting started, bought my bike in Jan of 12, before that was an XR80 when I was 13. Also totally understand the woods vs. MX thing. I ride with a guy that does and enjoys both, but when talking about the faster guys he's basically says I'll pretty much try any jump before hauling that much rear end in the woods. Kind of the same deal. His kid does MX, doesn't care for woods riding at alllll. All depends on what ya like. Currently riding trails on the weekends and probably going to start hitting up the Tulsa MX track on Tuesday nights. I'll look into a kidney belt. I've looked at the jerseys with full padding and all but seems like it would get brutal hot in the summer time. One of my last encounters with a tree looked like...

So made me rethink shoulder and elbow pads. I think vid of it is posted around here somewhere, lots of cussing right after I smacked that pine.

This is what I"m currently looking at... Leatte Adventure pro but I can't see how it's much different than the adventure one Leatte Adventure.

edit: On elbow pads, which do you guys use? I can't find any that are comfortable.

edit2: Adventure is the 2012 model and Adventure pro is 2013 model. Never mind. :)

Silver fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 15, 2013

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Ramsus posted:

The best thing about the mx track to me is that if your bike breaks down you don't have to push it 5 miles.

Ride with bros who have a tow strap :)

Actually, I probably need to add a tow strap to my stuff. Currently have tail bag and front fender bag that I haven't fitted up yet for tubes and irons.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
sup, can you hold this for a second...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-vRlFyAblQ

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Couple of riding vids.

Super Sekkret riding area with bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRww27pYiNM

Super Sekkret riding area, different day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmLfXWBKcFA

I'm slow, but I have fun. :cheers:

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Hah, thanks! From the hare scramble this weekend. Personal best with 2 laps done, last one was a sumbitch. Lots of mud, rocks, and roots. Good times! Probably wouldn't get so tired if I didn't fall over on the bike so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOr4n2hgVDA

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Got a buddy with one that is p much always bitching about how he thinks the valves need adjusting and it's fixing to blow up. What I would give to see his RAGE KICK when it wouldn't start one time at the beginning of an Enduro. Not that no one ever has had issues with starting anything but if you knew the guy, yeah would have been effin LOL to have on vid. I haven't ridden one but pretty sure you'll probably dig the 300's.

For content, some pics of a benefit race I took this weekend.

BBQ vendors need to be at every race ever. Ever.

Like a boss.

Brap.

Awards time.

Like I said. BBQ at every race please kthx. /fin

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

needknees posted:

...anyone in iowa want a good deal on a nice low hours yz450? Haha

What part of Iowa, talking with some buddies right now aobut maybe doing the Bartlett Enduro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Awesome. Tell me that person rode like a boss as well.

Nah, was a kid, but for a kid, definitely rode like a boss. :)

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Found out what heat exhaustion feels like, whoo! Also did pretty much what you're not supposed to do when you get it as well.

Race started a bit late, it was 90+ and high humidity with zero wind really. So around a 12:15 or 12:30 start time. This was the roughest track we've done yet as well, all single track with a lot of rocks. I enjoyed the course but it made for some huge bottle necks. I probably should have just skipped racing as watching the video I'm not riding like I ride at all, super newb spode horrible riding. There's one point in the video that I should have blasted by 2 guys that were stopped but I just sit there like a dummy and wait for them to get going with a wide open line. Also was yeah, just not riding right at all. With the heat, being stopped while bottle necks were cleared out, and just riding like poo poo, after one uphill with a switchback in it that I had to lug it through some trees I ended up getting sick to my stomach and dizzy. So I stop to take a break. My mistake here was sitting down. I sat down in some shade and just commenced to stew in the 90 degree heat as there wasn't any wind at all. If I got up I got super dizzy.

Had many people check on me and after a bit I was like "OK yeah, gonna need some help here gently caress this send someone with a 4 wheeler and they can truss me up like a deer on the front because I absolutely do not give a poo poo at this point". After awhile of sitting it out and going "Sweet tits I'm just gonna die out here" the owner of the property who was running the trail helping guys out of tight spots and looking for people like me came by. I told him I was wasted and needed help and he bails to go get help and comes back in roughly 5 minutes. "If you can get on your bike and ride I can get us to a field that will take us to the road and back to the truck". Good lord that was an amazing amount of effort to just get up and put on camel back and chest protector and throw a leg over. I did it though and after 5 minutes of air moving I felt 90% better. Got back to the truck and my bro that knew I was having issues with the heat promptly grabbed my bike and got it hooked up on my truck and told me to go jump in his truck and there was a gallon of water in the passenger seat and air con was going full blast. It's good to have bros.

Anyhow, my mistakes as far as heat exhaustion goes were 1. Sitting down. I should have stopped and taken a break but I shouldn't have sat down, should have poured water on my head and shoulders and kept going. 2. Goggles. Yes it's dangerous to ride without them so maybe some safety glasses in the tail bag for safety but keeping the goggles on those totally encapsulates your head, I rode back to the truck without goggles and made a huge difference for air flow. 3. Once I had sat down and noticed there was no wind, I should have made myself get back up and get moving, get some air flow. So, learning limits and how to deal with them when they happen. Also if you get overheated like I did the points you want to put cool water on are your wrists, back of neck and shoulders, and under your arm pits. Learned that too, after the fact. The race itself was brutal for everyone. One guy who didn't finish said he went home and had a 101 temperature. Multiple others didn't finish due to the heat as well. It was brutal.

So anywho, after that big mass of words have some vids and pictures.

I petition now that a BBQ truck be at every race from here out because after a race, this is amazing...

This is my video of the race, with annotations on what all I messed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nvhg11rZ2Y

The previous day was pretty rad though as we were setting up a course for the minibike beer chug race a friend is throwing this weekend. Here are some of the mishaps from that...

This bike, the XR100 of a buddies of mine. I ended up looping it out putting into my truck this morning, then Alan does this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ORLGdTYXUk

Then this is a comp from what I got off the go pro. The part in the middle where it goes under water is where I was testing the water proof function and tossing it into the pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT_BWLSIroY

Anyhow, fun stuff for sure. :cheers:

edit:

needknees posted:

Central Iowa, looks like Bartlett is just south of Omaha? That's only a 2.5hr drive for me, not too bad. What weekend is the race? I've never done an enduro before but definitely want to get one or two under my belt this year. I have a buddy who wants to get started in racing as well.

Weekend of the race is Oct. 6th. Buddy who was there just a bit a go says the riding is awesome out that way.

Silver fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 23, 2013

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Ramsus posted:

^^^Did you run out of water in your camel pack? Do you think you'd have been okay if you would have hydrated more, or was it just too drat hot out? I used to have to work in the engine room of a ship in 110 degree weather, and people would fall out if they didn't consume obscene amounts of water. But as long as we drank more than we thought we needed, we were okay.

Rode the 450 Saturday. Still having issues with it.

I'm looking at a kx250 that's set up for the woods and a ktm 300mxc probably later this week. I'm hoping to replace my 450.

Yeup, made sure to hydrate for a few days before race and drank water before race and had plenty in my camel back as well as a buddy toss me his waist camel back. It was just super hot and super humid with zero wind. I wasn't the only one getting sick to my stomach/heat exhaustion either. Just crazy hot out. I was just the only one that didn't finish a loop and sat on the side of the trail lol.

Have a buddy that is finally selling his 450 to drop down to 250. Which will just give him something new to bitch about but hopefully not for a bit.

needknees posted:

Right now that weekend looks free for me... Tentatively planning on it! Do you normally camp out there or is it a generally a ride and gtfo type of thing?

I think they'd allow camping I know all the races here do. I've never been before so no idea. My buddy has and I think they stayed in his trailer. I'm hoping he'll have a toyhauler by then and we can do it up in style.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Ramsus posted:

I don't really consider it a drop since it's a 2 stroke.

Now now, don't get your "I ride a big bike" panties in a twist :lol: It's the bike not the rider :) I mean in CC's, weight, and all that. I've ridden one of the FI KTM250F's that is every bit as fast as my 200, it's crazy, but that's straight line, it feels luggy and heavy in the woods. Also rode a KTM500 2 weekends ago and that thing is ung heavy and weird. If you ain't mixin gas you ain't haulin asssssss. amirite?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
True that. Try starting out on one lol, completely different learning curve for sure. I still dig the 2 stroke though and if I go new bike I'll either go Beta250RR or KTM250XC. Was talking with a buddy of mine who's been into dirt bikes for years and years and told him a couple of people told me it would be a good beginners bike, his reply "They lied". Definitely a different beast for sure. Other buddy with the KTM500 hates it because he has to use brakes instead of engine braking.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Recent riding vid. Mostly just dorky slow stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9uGlw-yWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Check facebook for groups. Also check for race series, can find a lot of riding buddies there. Also google for dirt forums/bike forums in your area.