Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Whatup goons, I bought a dual sport about a month and a half ago and have been riding here and there, just thought to see if there was a thread about it.

I bought a 07 kxl250s and have been pretty stoked on it for the price. I've mostly been riding forest roads and abandoned double/single track out in the Gifford Pinchot (I'm based in PDX) but haven't taken it to an OHV area yet. I spend a lot of time on a mtb so its been mostly taking it easy and getting used to the weight and momentum of the bike compared to what I'm used to but I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to exploring more places with it.

Seems like we got a PNW goons in the area, whats the spot outside of Portland mentioned below? I've heard there's some gravel roads past the top of rocky point rd but haven't made it out there yet to take a look. I know of Brown's Camp and go out to Jordan Creek to kayak a couple times a year, any recommendations on where to start?

Funny to see the photos from Cle Elum, I was up near Salmon La Sac the other weekend to kayak and was kicking myself for not figuring out how to get my bike up there with me, even driving some of the forest roads out past Cooper Lake looking for camp spots was rad, it would be sweet to get back in there on a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
A buddy got to ride with the KTM/Red Bull/TLD team during a closed track practice session over the weekend and didn't invite me :cry:

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Sounds and looks like a good time!

Should be getting some new bars delivered today, trying to raise the controls on the bike so it's a little less awkward standing up.

Some friends and I are looking to do an overlanding + dirt bike trip in Washington later this summer, any route recommendations? Will be a mix of lefted but daily driver jeeps, 250s and a 650 or two.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Why is getting handguards on such a lovely process?

My cycera guards just don't want to line up with the bar clamps and not interfere with either the top triple or the headlight assembly. I've got protaper bars, I assume the guards would work with a normal bend but no.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

right arm posted:

cause there are a billion different bar bends and levers

there are lots of options for different types of clamps out there so I’d just buy off amazon / revzilla til you find the one that works since their returns are easy

Do you know of any sites where people post compatability? I have ProTaper KX High bars, would like to avoid wack-a-mole with clamps. The cycera CRM clamps do not fit, not sure if I should try the u-clamps or something like this next:
https://www.motosport.com/product/?...C000L-X001-Y002

Thoughts?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I finally got my handguards on, but I can't believe that Cycera is taken seriously as a brand:

- included flat head bolts bottomed out on the unthreaded part of the bolt before they tightened against the guards
- plastic guards are attached to aluminum rails via self tapping machine screws instead of tapping the holes correctly
- didn't include all the washers needed
- guards are counter sunk for a flathead at the clamps, clamps and guards only came with bolts to mate against flat surfaces
- plastic guards don't match the aluminum bars, don't overlap between guards and 'grinders' and don't tighten flat to the bars.

A friend bought like $40 dollar amazon handguards and the fit and finish is honestly way nicer than the Cyceras. And I got the guards from revzilla so I'd be surprised if they knockoffs.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Gaia has been pretty good for me as far as double track and some single track but isn't perfect. Has USGS topos as well as their own topos and satellite maps, seems pretty good and not too expensive.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks for the advice of the WBDR, gonna go do the Carson to Packwood to ellensburg sections and back this weekend with Jeep support which should be aces.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
What do you carry for a pump? Like a little bike pump? I need to figure out my spares kit for the bike. On my mtb I usually carry a spare tube, levers, and inflator. A tiny multitool will fix anything on a mtb but not a Moto, do you carry a proper tool roll?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
PM me the discord link? I think I've talked people in the goon bikes discord into watching it at some point, might be able to combine. The misc racing thread gets some supercross posts as well and could use more.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
hows the 350 dual sports? I've got a 07 klx250 and a newer-ish 350 is what ive been eyeing to get a little more power and a little less weight for the road transits and single track respectively. Can't really justify a dual sport and a trail bike and do a mix of forest road wandering and single track riding.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
But if you're on the downhill side and it rolls you can help catch it :thunk:

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
And the drug laws

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
1-N-2-3-4-5?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm far from an expert (and also curious about the question) but my impression is the tilamook stuff is pretty varied - theres a lot of 4x4 and ATV trails in addition to gnar single track. Theres also the area on the NW side of Mt. Adams thats a ways from PDX but has a cool mix of riding, again not familiar with all of it but on my limited time in the area I found some pretty mellow stuff to explore.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thats the area and yeah its all in NF but theres quite a bit of OHV areas that AFAIK dont need plates

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Where in Tillamook is that? I really need to get out there and do some exploring, I hit Jordan Creek for kayaking pretty often but afaik thats all hard singletrack

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks, the forest is so loving large and theres so much riding I dont know where to start.

E: Related, any advice from the thread on hitch racks? I've got a canopy on my truck and need a way to get my bike out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah, at least MX. I think Ducati is also supposed to be making an MX bike?