Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hey dirt goons, I had my first hit from the off-road crackpipe a couple of weeks ago on borrowed a KTM SXF 450, and now I want more.

A YZ450F just came up locally for what seems like a good price, how insane is it? I ride a 690 SMC day-to-day so I can deal with a 'spirited' bike, but am I going to die in a tangled mess of rocks, mud and shrubbery on this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Mostly loving about and tearing up some land I have use of this summer?

VTNewb posted:

Yes, but this is bike independant.

Also if you're riding offroad that bikes suspension (expensive) and gearing (cheap) will slap you in the balls. Otherwise it's gr8.

I always recommend folks get an offroad bike anyway (in this case WR450) if they can find one.

A WR would be better I know, but I've never even seen one round here, let alone for sale. I've heard I could get the WR gear set and swap it in without much fuss?

If I can knock it down a couple hundred from asking I'll probably yet the YZF, failing that I have leads on a XR600 and a Husky TE610 but both are a bit heavier than I wanted (and I'm consider just finding some Enduro forks/wheels for the 690 if it gets to that).

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Well, I went and had a look at the YZ450F, it's really nice but it's a bit too full-on for what I want and it would cost me too much to get it road registered, which is unfortunately essential.

What's the skinny on Husqvarna TE250s? An '03 one with pretty low mileage just came up for sale, I think it's overpriced but it might be worth a low-ball offer?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Erm, I live in Europe mate. Getting Husky parts is no harder than getting KTM or big four parts. In fact with the lovely dealers we have locally one manufacturer is as good as the next, as I will be mail ordering from UK / Europe no matter what.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Husqvarna guy, I'll definitely be taking it for a spin before buying. I've been scouring the classifieds for weeks now and my choices are currently:

A YZ450F in reasonable condition for a good price, but no road reg.
An old Honda MTX 125
A way overpriced XR400 (Thousands invested!!1!)
A reasonably priced but slightly tired XR600 with a 650 Dominator engine swap
Possibly a Husky TE610, not much info on it though
The above mentioned Husky
A couple of chinese CRF450 clones