Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Gullous posted:

Soon I hope! $1500 for a 10 year old 2T 250 sounds appealing... Hopefully this Summer.

When I say intense I was including the weather. Camping for two days in the wet, sub 30F weather was really rough. No snow, luckily.

Intense also describes recovering my bike. Spiffness had to tow a trailer down a long primitive road up to the edge of the course. Two of us towed my bike back while Spiffness and his GF helped like 4 riders with gas, tools, water, and beer. THis was around the last 10 miles of the 100 mile group, and they looked destroyed. Just limping down the trail...

Shoulda bought my YZ when I was selling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

"Fresh Rebuild"
lol

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

It depends a lot on what you are planning on doing with it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

450 4T bikes are the liter bikes of the offroad world. You really shouldn't be riding one as a beginner.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Zool posted:

Can't tell if you're serious, its just a motorcycle after all.

I'd recommend a a literbike to a beginning street rider over a 450 MX bike to a beginning offroad rider.

Edit:
Hey Zool didn't your Husqy toss you to the moon a while back and bust you up. They're definitely beginner friendly.

Edit2:
Do you honestly believe that a 690 SMC for a beginner is anywhere near as bad as a literbike?

n8r fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 30, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Guys if anyone implies that a beginner could start out on any of the bikes I've owned in the past 10 years I'm gonna go around and troll your every post, GOT IT?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You might have more endurance if you stopped smoking.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Gullous posted:

Have I misread the last page, or is everyone saying liter bikes make a good first dirt bike?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-DuzXcQ4qM
:v:

I'd argue to consider the type of riding you'll be doing when choosing a first (any) bike. If you're riding dunes you can probably get away with a bigger bike. If there are motocross tracks available, consider a bike setup for track riding. Etc...

Hey remember when I told you your KTM was the offroad equivalent of a liter bike? Remember when you broke your wrist like a week later. That was funny.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Z3n posted:

690: only dangerous offroad. On road it's a good beginner bike.

I was told this ignored post was directed at me so I will respond.

You see if you had ridden offroad bikes only 1/10th the amount of time you spent posting about riding offroad you might realize something that is 70hp and 350lb is a not at all well suited for the task.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'll take your 250F in boxes if it's cheap :).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I would not own a Euro offroad bike that isn't a KTM without a very good reason. Any money you save up front you lose in parts cost/availability during ownership.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Why not wait until you can find a 4t 250?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Starting out on a 250 two stroke would be pretty silly as a beginning rider. If you have little riding experience motocross is an very difficult sport to learn. A two stroke 125 will be pretty cheap to maintain if you replace the top ends pretty often. Don't forget to budget for boots helmet and the rest which can add up.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Just because the 230s are nearly the same price to buy doesn't mean they are the same price to own. The 4t CRF/YZF/etc are probably one of the most expensive bikes to ride / maintain. The 250 topend doesn't last nearly as long and you still have to deal with the valvetrain and such.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Nice thing with the 450s is they are a bit lower maintenance.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Silver has one - pretty sure he still has lots of problems...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Silver posted:

:what: You do know that it's a 2 stroke yes? Also a 690 would be a pig in tight trails/woods riding.

I use rotella and change about every 3 rides or so. It doesn't take a lot and it's cheap so no big deal.

Will this be your first dirt bike? 300 is going to be a bit much, kinda like getting a 450 4 stroke to start out on. Fun though for sure. I started on a 200.

I think the joke is that Gullous started out on the 690 and back when he came onto IRC I told him he was starting out on the dirt equivalent of a 'busa. He promptly flicked himself and busted his wrists within the first few rides.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I have found the used dirtbike market in WA to have gotten really bad. I think the poor economy has really reduced the amount of used bikes. It seems like nothing newer than 2007 is out there and very little is for sale below $2k. I kinda wish I had just held onto my '03 YZ250 considering how little I got for it considering the prices for bikes now.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Never had an FI 4T dirtbike but the trick in general for the 450 I had was to never ever touch the gas when you start it. The two stroke pump and kick thing just floods at 4T it seems. I'd think the FI models are a bit better than that but maybe not.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

I almost forgot about the Desert 100 coming up in April. The wife would not forgive me if we forgot that; we intend to run the enduros in the 50 mile vintage class this year. We're both completely terrible at riding, it should be fun - my goal is... to finish. Any advice for a first-timer?

What are you riding?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I did it a few years back - it's pretty rough terrain. I think you'd want bikes with at least relatively modern suspension travel. I did 50 miles and was like welp that was fine but didn't feel the need to do the full 100 and I had been doing a lot of DOONZ riding.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'd encourage you to do some desert riding to get in shape for it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

What
I want

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pretty much everywhere doesn't let you use tear offs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

AncientTV posted:

Vague post ahead. I want to pick up a small, old dirtbike (I've been looking at 85s recently), but I know jack poo poo about this segment of motorcycles. I just want something junky, but still operational, to dick around on and teach family members to ride.

What models should I keep in mind, and what should I be expecting to pay for something less-than-pristine?

You want something air cooled and four stroke.

BlackMK4 posted:

$1500 on a first dirtbike? No woods around here - just desert and sand. I like inverted forks... Slight preference to 2t over 4t unless I can be persuaded otherwise.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3748287432.html ?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3752678126.html ?

Either bike would be fine - plan on doing a top end when you get either.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

VTNewb posted:

I more or less agree. You cannot lug a 125, for hills you need to fan the clutch to effectively ride it. I always tell people to find a KDX200 or KDX220 for a good starter bike that you can have for years.

All he has to ride around him is sand and DOONZ. You won't do much lugging in that stuff anyway. I started out on a 125 riding similar stuff and it was a good choice.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

300 w/ a linkage? Or the old style stuff.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'd probably look into the cost of re-tuning your suspension for the woods and re-gearing vs. swapping around.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

VTNewb posted:

Already back together with all fragments! Surgery went super well. Saved by kneeguards!

Color me dense but how is a shattered kneecap being saved by kneeguards?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

VTNewb posted:

Though the stress was enough to shatter the kneecap one can see by the outline marks on my leg that had I not been wearing a knee guard a broken femur and tibfib was possible.

I would have rather broken either bone than shattering a kneecap.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If you want to ride DOONZ on the cheap get a YZ250.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The kind of dirtbike you want depends a hell of a lot on the stuff you want to ride. For the trail riding available around here I'd probably want a CRF150R or something similar. The trails are so technical and tight that a big bike is intimidating on the narrow singletrack. You can have a hell of a lot of fun with a more old school air cooled 4T bike depending on what you want to do.

I will say that DOONZ if you live close are awesome for a new offroad rider. You can eat poo poo with quite low consequences and you can start jumping the bike which is probably as fun as dragging a knee on a street bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Unless you're riding DOONZ start slow/light/cheap just like a street bike. DOONZ you can go with a bit more power because sand sucks up so much.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

A CRF230 would be a very good first trail bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I want to stud some tires to run on my sumo on groomed snowmobile trails. Will this work? If so what studs should I buy? I have a set of spare tires that I could mount up.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

VTNewb posted:

This will work. Show up very early in the AM after a grooming or good snowmobiling day. Make sure your studs do not interfere with your pipe/swingarm upon compression of the rear shock.

Where should I get the tools/studs?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Zool posted:

By the way, if you ever considered coming up 6 feet short on a big triple, let me just tell you that its a bad idea. See 3:20 in that first moto.

Gettin' rowdy!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Starting out on a 250 2t is kinda like starting out on a 600SS just fyi.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Wow that is a wild video. It's a little hard to tell but it looks like you're landing on your front tire a lot. I only watch a few minutes of the video but in my totally unprofessional opinion you should be controlling your landings a bit better before you're dialing up the speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Gullous posted:

I agree, I dialed it back after the first lap. I need more practice and endurance. Properly sized suspension would help too, I was rebounding pretty hard on some of the landings. I'm 215lbs and the previous owner weighed 180, sprung for trail riding.

It looked to me like you weren't using your throttle to lift your nose in the air. The nice thing w/ 4T bikes given their engine braking is that they tend to pitch nose down. I never got any good at hitting my rear brake in the air with a 2T bike.