Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
About a year ago I bought a DRZ400S.

And I rode it some cool places.

And then sold it. A month later my brother decided to get into bikes and bought a beater $100 ninja250 which we were never able to get running right :argh:

So last week he sold it for $900 and bought this for $2000:

Cool, same bike right? Nope...

:dance: That's right, a plated 2000 DRZ400E model with various goodies (aftermarket handlebar, rotor protectors, knobbies, bash plate, etc). Already ordered a jet hit for it, the FCR carb is fantastic.

He can't stop smiling he loves it so much. I'm tempted to buy a KTM just to piss him off :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Kony Kid posted:

Blaise how did you get so ... round?

but really where were those pics taken? Utah? Colorado? Arizona?

Lots of protection. I'm wearing an EVS G5 ballistic jersey there:

When you're 6'2 you have to wear XL even if you're not round :(

Pics are from Utah (top of the world) and somewhere in Colorado.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Might be a little late to ask, but was this a bad idea? :)

Picked up a 2006 525 EXC this weekend to compliment my fantastic 990 streetbike. I made it about 65 pages into this thread before I figured it might be a really bad (good idea).

Paid $2700, it has 350hrs/5500 miles. Looking to rip around in a few parks around the Seattle area this summer and then maybe do some longer trips.

First Impression: Wheelie city. This thing is NOT like my DRZ400 was. And after taking an hour to change the oil, I definitely realize its not my DRZ.

Here are my takeaways from that megathread:

-Fan kit: Necessary
-Oil Cooler / Cush Hub: Only needed for extended highway riding
-Steering Damper: Good idea but not necessary

Maintenance Plan:

Oil (done)
Valves/Plug/Coolant (to be done tonight)
Repack exhaust
Make it streetlegalish (its plated already)
Freshen forks, possibly the shock as well, might need a respring (I'm 200lb)

In the spares box I found a bearing (new) which I identified as a camshaft bearing. I also found a piston ring compressor, and 2 old intake valves.

I think it's safe to say that the engine has been apart and serviced? Is there a way to tell if I have new SS valves with just the cover off? When checking the piston/cyl, would they always install new rings?

Can't wait to rip this thing through the woods! :dance:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
First dirt ride of the season!

Tahuya State Forest. Good times! Anybody else in the Seattle area?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Spiffness posted:

when did you get to the Seattle area?

I ride Tahuya all the time

Only a few months ago.

The 525 is getting a new top half today. I should be ready to ride again by this sunday.

clutchpuck posted:

I live north of Seattle. Your season looks a little different than mine :) I usually get my dirt riding in before spring hits; don't think I've rode in >50f heat.

Really? Why in the cold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

Once I am out there and riding, it isn't so cold. Plus it's nice to have a quieter ORV area; on sat/sun mornings in the winter, we pretty much get the place to ourselves. No dust 'cause everything is moist, too.

Would also rather just hop on the street bike and ride in the summer than load up the enduros and drive an hour to the trails.

I'm listening. Where should I ride my street bike now that its summer?

Looking like the 525 won't be done by this weekend so the Super Duke may have to be used :)