Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Finally got out on the CRF250X. That bike has real nice suspension and not too much power. I noticed a little heft while negotiating boulder fields. Lands jumps a lot more gracefully than my DT175.

A lot easier than our old bikes too. Usually we'd be out on the antique 175s for like an hour before we packed it up. We were on the CRFs for like 3 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Walker Valley. I haven't been to Tahuya yet.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Next time I'll try to get an action shot or two and then not post it because I am embarrassingly bad.

Is there an adjustment I can try to make the steering lighter at low speeds. The major "thing I want to change" about that bike is probably the steering effort while basically stopped.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm un-rusting my skills, but yeah I'm always standing on the pegs in tight stuff and I'm working on shifting my weight from peg to peg.

I don't know how to better describe it. The steering just seems to take some more effort than I am used to when I'm trying to thread the needle between boulders. And this is based on riding an ancient DT175 with a similar mass before this. And since the CRFX has a reputation as being pretty nimble I was just wondering if there was a starting point for turning the clickers to take less effort to turn the bar.

I got a couple knuckles shredded by a hanging blackberry vine, so bark busters is on the list.

And don't worry, they got pretty dirty by the end of the day :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Holy poo poo those CRFs are the best things ever. It's been a constant string of "that looks scary" *realize I'm on the CRF, add throttle* "that wasn't so scary".

The wife signed us up for an intermediate dirt riding course for next month. She's serious!

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 28, 2018

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ate poo poo pretty hard coming down a steep Jeep trail. Wanted to transfer from right rut to left rut but forgot to weight the bike properly over the center hump. Traction went one way, the bike went another way, and I went directly at sand.

But holy poo poo my skills are starting to gel. We took a riding class a couple months ago and could only get up to Reiter since then. Last weekend we finally went back up to Walker and I'm riding a gear higher pace pretty consistently everywhere.

I think I'd still like to get a flywheel weight so I don't need to work the clutch so furiously at all times tho.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
How long does it take to stop wetting yourself on steep declines? Downhill is my kryptonite.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm a day from taking my CRF on a 500+ mile BDR trip. What am I forgetting to get/do to be ready?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Oak Ridge area near Yakima, WA. The hills across the valley are Bethel ridge area.

After a gnarly climb up some fist and skull sized rocks. The GS crew all ate poo poo on it but my wife and I had no drama on our enduros.

I am so used to trail riding in the tight muddy rooty rutty woods at Walker valley that I literally have no cornering skill on wide flat graded gravel or sand which is like 40% of this trip.

Today we rode Ellensburg to Wenatchee and into Cashmere; WABDR section 3.

We even got my long box crew cab mile long super duty across the big wash near Beehive. It was extremely butt puckering.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 10, 2019

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
We have a combination of camping, hotels, and Airbnb. We have my truck as our purse and camp hauler. I'm 1000% going back to Bethel ridge and camp for a couple nights with the bikes along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gullous posted:

Eastern WA is a nice change of pace. Are you camping off the bikes? You'll be better at gravel sweepers by the end. Sit far forward as you can, leg out, and stay on the gas.

You're right about the sweepers. I feel a lot more confident with them.

It was kind of dicey on descents, I jetted it for 3k-7k' before we left so under about 2k the throttle was really snatchy. Fortunately those were always at the end of the day when I was already exhausted and sloppy.

Ruby grade, oh my God

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 13, 2019