Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Cincinnati seems to have a large collection of morons selling bikes. I swear, I have never seen more people trying to get over 1K out of old busted 90's two strokers.

I am still trying to decide if I want another 125 or 250. I really, really loved my 04 YZ125, and my 06 YZ250 was fun. I think I liked flogging my 125 more ..

Four stroke MX bikes still make me nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tehk posted:

Have you considered a 144 mAlfunkti0n? Factory or not 140-150cc is a sweet spot for a lot of those motors when used with smaller riders. I don't know what kind of riding you do but if you are not worried about meeting any requirements I would go that route.

Also how does a four stroke make you nervous? They are super predictable to the point of boredom. Unless you are nervous of future repair cost.

edit: Husqvarna's cr125 comes with a 144 kit from the factory. Essentially giving you a second top end. Probably not worth the hassle of owning a husqvarna though. Lots of people make a 150/144 now so you have some options.

Nervous in the sense of catastrophic failure .. not from overwhelming power. My 450 was just boring, so no nervousness from that. I have seen too many 4 strokes grenade at the track. While I do care for my machines very well, there is always that chance of failure from a defect in materials. I just hate the fact its generally a 2K repair bill on those bikes if anything goes bad.

I will probably stick with a trusty 125 or 250 2t when I go to buy. Easy to rebuild, and cheap. I just wish prices weren't so out of the park here. 144 kits are nice, but they need to be ported properly to make the best power once the upgrade is done. That generally runs $$$ unless you have a friend who does porting work.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

I love KTM, but I will be in the "cheap, used, possibly trashed so I can rebuild" model. I have this wonderful disease of having to strip a bike apart when I buy it, so I am hoping to find a "beater" that I can get for next to nothing.

So far it seems mid 2000's RM250's are going to be my best bet. Good handling, 04-06 had awesome engines, etc.

Anyways, it will be at minimum 3 months before I am really in the market.

Edit ... wow that 150XC is beautiful though ... why am I poor!!!

Here was my last KTM .. I have since then moved and now have a little over 5 acres to myself. So, I really need a bike. :)

DSC00056 by Jarred Sutherland, on Flickr

My favorite though was this one .. 2004 YZ125, bought for $900 because it didn't run. Guy thought it was an 03, also wouldn't start due to the woodruff key being sheared and it firing at BDC. Guy had replaced crank and gave up. I stripped it down, sandblasted frame, powder coated, FTE. It was a total blast.

IMG_2575 by Jarred Sutherland, on Flickr

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 29, 2012

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
This thread is missing some love, what are you guys/gals up to lately?

I've tracked down a deal on a 2007 YZ250, hoping we can follow up by picking it up tomorrow evening.

Boot wise, what do you all find comfortable for offroad? Last pair I owned were a set of Tech 7's and they were nice, but the price went up about $100 since I bought mine.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Silver posted:

We're in the 100+ heat here in OK. That's just too effin hot to be geared up and riding around in the woods. I did go out to a friend of mines house and we played around with clutch ups and the plant your foot spin the rear tire around u-turns type stuff. He has a pool so ride for about 30 minutes sweating your butt off then go jump in pool.

I guess I can post up the mini bike beer chug race that we had about a month ago. 3 laps, chug a beer per lap.

This is a preview, lemme know if you want to see the full 8 min video I put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTYKTIUrtKM

Were approaching that type of heat again out in Ohio. We had 100+ the week before last, then we got a nice 80's week and back to this nonsense.

I've been driving myself nuts looking for a nice bike.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tehk posted:

The 100 degree heat is keeping me in the garage as well. Riding here in NJ is going to be a bummer for a few months as we catch up on trail clean up from our recent storms. All my track and surrounding single track is covered with trees. So I've been focusing on a few bike builds until this weekend when I can use the new chainsaw mount I bought to service the tighter riding areas which are covered with large downed trees.

A few weeks ago I picked up a crashed CR250 for super cheap and put around $700 into engine parts, a flywheel weight, and suspension valving/springs. I am still waiting on Enduro Engineering protection, and a new wheelset but in the end it will make for a nice backup bike with a fresh motor for significantly less than I could have purchased one.

Pancaked before photo. Stator side case had a silver dollar sized hole at the bottom of the flywheel housing, but the motor ran fine.

I fixed the chassis at work after ultrasounding the frame to check for cracks. I remade a regulator/rectifier mount and installed new thicker core radiators with supports.

Fortunately I had a spare electronic power valve motor from my 500AF project that dropped right in. All I needed to get done was porting by Eric Gorr, a stealthy flywheel weight, and a PWK Air Striker carb to make the bike friendlier in the tight stuff. Can't wait to have it woods ready for this weekend.

Good looking bike. Only thing I can't stand about those CR's is that frame, about impossible to get to the carb easily (at least on my 01, granted frames changed but it doesn't look like enough to get to carb easily).

Anyways, I have the 07 YZ250 on the back burner. Local contact got ahold of me about a basket case for $500. 2002 KX250, needs new top and bottom end .. lots of extras with the bike.

Pretty sure I am picking up tomorrow after work.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tehk posted:

Newer Twin spar frames on MX bikes are pretty good in terms of access because you can quickly remove the sub-frame and airbox. The only pain is getting the airboot on without removing the exhaust first. The Gen1 and Gen2 CR aluminum frames were a lot worse since the spars had no curve to them and they blocked a lot more access points than the Gen3+ Honda frames which hug the engine and twist inward around the rear suspension mount.

Good luck on that KX. I've never owned one but I hear they are a solid bike.

Yeah the second gen frame I had was miserable getting to the carb. It was always pull seat, detach airbox from carb, unbolt bottom two from subframe and then lever it upwards. Irritating, amazing motors though in that 00 and 01 model year.

The KX seems to be a solid bike, I am trying to decide if I want to snag an extra cylinder and have it ported to move the power around, apparently they lack top end on those years. Guess i'll just have to ride first and decide later.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Picked up my KX on Friday evening, guy that had it was great. $500, came with new hinson clutch basket, extra clutch, new (non installed) rear tire, extra shock, stock springs, etc.

Started work on it on Saturday, pulled motor and I have it ready to be split, waiting on tools which will be here tomorrow (Tuesday). Sending crank to be rebuilt and cylinder to be re-plated.

Frame should be stripped down tonight so I can sandblast and paint it, probably finish that next week.

Picked up a 2007 KLX 110 last night for my wife (and me too, fun little things). All stock, in great shape.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

any reason why you did not just buy a crank kit? just wondering because that is what I did for my 2000 KX. Just seemed like the simplest way and the price seemed good to me.

Both Wiseco and Hot Rods have had enough issues with cranks to make me nervous. Wiseco has had bad batch after bad batch of cranks (crank arms breaking off, etc).

For less than both of those though, I can have my Japanese built crank (which has made it through 10 years of abuse) rebuilt back to factory tolerances. Cheaper and still a great crank, makes me happy. :) Also, I keep a great guy (Vince from Mr Crankshaft in Kentucky) in business. All around good!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
When I am not being lazy I actually have taken some time lately to work on my 02 KX250. I split the cases four years ago and have been rebuilding it since .. very ... very ... very slowly.

Obviously within that amount of time parts are bound to be lost. One of them I might have lost or might have destroyed or something, who knows, is the e clip on the governor rod for the powervalve. Is this a standard e clip that could probably be found locally at a automotive store, or does Kawi use some very specific e clip?

I don't mind ordering if need be, but i'd rather venture down to the local parts store and buy one there for 10 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

VTNewb posted:

Hit the microfiche at rockymountainatvmc.com or wherever and see for yourself!

Yeah I have that already, its a 4mm type e circlip .. I have one, so I just need to venture outside to the parts store.